“Paradise on Earth! Almost.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lima Coco Resort

You added Lima Coco Resort to your Saves list
Lima Coco Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40/1 Moo 4 | Ao Prao, Tumbon Phe, Samed Island, Rayong 10310, Thailand   |
Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Rayong
Sammakorn, Bangkok
“Paradise on Earth! Almost.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

My friend, my 5-y.o. daughter and myself were lucky to have purchased a Lima Coco voucher at a big expo in Bangkok (50% discount with a bunch of other perks and coupons) and spent 3 wonderful nights and 3 days at the resort. What a great location! The hotel is situated on a lovely hill, right on the beach, so every window of every room actually provides a gorgeous view of the sea, the beach, the trees and romantic roofs. Yes, indeed, the rooms may be small and design is rather basic, and there's no grandeur or trendiness there, unlike in the other 2 resorts between which it's situated, but... The secluded lagoon, the beach, the calmness, the relaxing atmosphere are amazing. It's a great place for those seeking peace and quiet and the lovely emerald sea. The staff is very nice and helpful, without being annoying. The resort's restaurant, Bagus, is excellent - their seafood dishes are delicious and the tables and benches with cushions and traditional Thai pillows are the best for relaxing and watching the waves and the sunset over the sea. Speaking of the sea, we enjoyed swimming in the warm calm water (almost no waves!) but were periodically stung by some sort of sea-lice (the stings would slightly burn for a minute or so and then subside). We were told that it usually happens after a storm. Anyway, the stinging crittures (we couldn't even see them, as they are so tiny) didn't mar our pleasure. We didn't even bother to see the rest of the island as we were happy enough at Lima Coco. By the way, we even had visitors from the other 2 hotels (the fancier ones) at our restaurant as the food there was cheaper and , perhaps, even better than at their resorts' restaurants.

• Stayed November 2009

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

We stayed here 3 years ago and loved it! We came back for more and found it to be much less and left us extremely disappointed!!!
From the moment we checked in it began. We payed much more than 3 years ago assuming the quality had improved. We paid more at check-n for an upgrade. We went to our room (B-7). Very nasty and a horrible smelling bathroom. We felt that we were downgraded instead of upgraded and felt scammed. I went back to the front desk and asked to be shown the original room we had. Unbelievable!!! It was much nicer and smelled very clean. When I asked why we paid to be upgraded to a smaller room, a further walk from beach and a nasty smell they said it is a Deluxe. When I explained that is impossible because you can clearly see it is much worse, they just shrugged their shoulders... We decided to look at other rooms and found a nicer one and we just went ahead and paid the upgrade price... We were asked if we would like to pay now or check-out. Just to get it out of the way we payed the full amount for 2 nights plus upgrade charges. The next day they told us we had to move because someone wanted the room we were in. That really upset us. We moved to another room that smelled again. I finally decided we just need to leave and stay at another hotel. When we told them they said sorry no refund. I said well we decided to pay in advance and we could have not done that. They said well since you did it is too late. We cannot credit back anything. I said yes you can, you just credit the card. They said sorry, can't do. We were screwed and had no way of winning this as this is a private island with only 3 hotels and to get back to town tghe boat had already left. The only other option was to pay for a private boat which was outrageous!!!
We bit our tounges and stayed. We were sooooooooo unhappy.
Please avoid!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The location is great since it is quiet and not crowded since the location is only accessible to guest staying on Prow beach. I had the opportunity to order dinner twice at the restaurant and it was delicious. The breakfast at the hotel is great but the selection is quite limited. The beach in front of the hotel is beautiful specially during the sunset. The water is so clear and the sand is fine and almost white. The staffs are all very friendly and greeting you when you see them. Overall I will stay here again if I go back to Samed

Stayed December 2008
Phuket, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

My boyfriend and I are in late 20s. He likes adventurous but I like comfortable. We decided to find something in between so we booked Lima Coco. We booked directly to the hotel and everything was fine at the beginning...the reservation staff in Bangkok was professional and I heard many good things though the grape vine, thought we would have a great long holiday there.

There are quite a few good things, a couple of not so good we would like to share with you...the room rate is quite high for what you get. The good thing is it includes free shuttle boat from Chokkrisda pier which will deliver you to the front door for the resort, no additional cost for transportation (if you stay at Saikeaw Beach, most good hotels are far from pier and you have to pay extra for local taxi).

The resort looks cute, cozy and makes you feel like a vacation house rather than a resort hotel (if you like Marriott or Sheraton, this is not your choice).

Lima Coco is on Ao Praw, only 3 hotels on this side of the island..they are probably one of the most luxury ones there. Ao Praw is very quiet, no shop house or street food. Lima Coco is located right on the beach (well, there is a small walk way cut between you and the beach)...book a platinum room than you will have an excellent beach front view. Anyway, sand on Saikeaw beach is more beautiful and white.

The room rate also include breakfast, quite variety; American and Asian breakfast, fruits, yogurt, etc…however fruit juice is terrible, orange juice is artificial, even you pay for it. The breakfast time is from 8.00-9.30am! One morning we made it, but it was too crowded and the queue was long every where. I took 10 mins to have my toast.

Staff don't really speak English, some don't even understand Thai! (I'm Thai by the way). More than a few times we recieved thigns we didn't order.

Our room is quite clean, maid comes once a day around 10-11am, very polite and did a good job. Towel is clean but very old. Bathroom is quite disappointed, a white simple plastic shower host….cheap plastic curtain separate the shower area from the toilette. Toilette paper comes in a big role like in the department store…big shampoo and soap dispenser on the wall (wondering if I am in a gym).

There is not many things to do on Ao Praw, too boring for us. Massage on the beach at Ao Praw hotel is good, only 300 baht per hour. We end up pay extra for local taxi (400baht round trip) and spend almost everyday on Saikeaw beach where you can find cheaper and fresh seafood and free fire show on the beach. If you can, rent an automatic motorbike (300 baht/ day include gas). However, when it rains, the road is very nasty, take a taxi.

I travel around the region, I know what not to expect from a local resort like this.... but this is disappointing...

• Liked — Massage on the beach
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

It's hard to get a sense of the geography of Ko Samet from maps, which don't show the rocky ridge in the island's mid-section. While I knew Lima Coco at Ao Prao would be a walk from the main beach areas on the West coast of the island, I didn't realize how uphill the walk would be. Once we did it a few times, it wasn't so bad, but the taxi trucks roar along the roads at night and we didn't want to risk getting hit by walking on the roads after dark.

The taxis have a monopoly and gouge you for a ride to Lima Coco (250 baht, about $6 each way). When we tried to do a group ride from the pier where the posted price is 30 baht per person, the driver tried to change the price after we'd waited 20 minutes for the pickup to fill up.

Lima Coco's free breakfast was adequate, but the other meals were puny in size, overpriced and included a 10 percent service charge.

Our room, a junior deluxe, was a little well-worn, but generally decent. My only complaint: No hot water. The best we could get was lukewarm water. We even complained and they replaced the in-shower hot water heater, but it still only offered up lukewarm water. Definitely not with the $80 U.S. we paid when you can get an A/C room on the other side of the island for $40 U.S.

The Ao Prao beach is nice, but it was too isolated for my taste and we spent more of our time during the day on the West side of the island.

• Liked — Nice white rooms
  • Disliked — No hot water
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

My boyfriend and I took a trip to Bangkok in May 2007. We wanted to get away from the city for a few days, so we hopped the bus (about 4 hours) to Ban Phe pier and took the ferry from there to Koh Samet. We used the local travel office in Koh Samet to book our room at Lima Coco. We only stayed for 2 days, but it was such a lovely 2 days! Some of the other reviews mention that the rooms are a little basic... it's true. But the location is fantastic - the private side of the island is the sunset side, and it's very is quiet and relaxing. Also, the Lima Coco restaurant serves some delicious appetizers. They'll even bring them to you on the beach!

• Liked — location!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
BKK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

Having the plan to go to Koh Samet for Vacation with family this coming weekend, seen this hotel advertisement on the web and made a call for reservation. Surprisingly, I don't feel any warm welcome or service mind from the reservation staff when I asked what type and rate they offer. They even asked me to check from the website myself and don't even bother to explain to customer. Such a good hospitality they have. I definitely will not choose this hotel as they do not offer any service to customer compared to other resort. They offer you Self service.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Lima Coco Resort? Share your experiences!