“Great rooms, great price, but probably the worst Thai food I've had...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa

Save Saved
You added Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa to your Saves list
Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   99 / 4 Moo 7, Soi Mangosteen | Tambon Rawai, Rawai, Phuket Town, Phuket 83130, Thailand   |
Ranked #8 of 24 hotels in Rawai
HK
“Great rooms, great price, but probably the worst Thai food I've had...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

The rooms are great, and the seclusion is a nice change from the selection of hotels in the Patong area. If you go out a lot, it adds to the cost as traveling to and from the hotel is not cheap... 300 baht seems to be the price to go anywhere from the hotel except the airport at a whopping 900 baht.

A place for couples I think. Most certainly, I would stay here again but the food is not the best. We had the Thai food menu on the day we arrived and at the risk of sounding rude, it's probably the worst Thai meal I've had in my life. On the last day, we had the Italian buffet which was OK. Below average I'd say.

The plusses are certainly the rooms, the service was fantastic but the masseurs we had at the spa need to give it a bit more elbow grease - their technique is good but just didn't give it enough strength.

All in all, fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed June 2006

451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2006

My wife and I traveled to Thailand for one month in February. We stayed at an array of hotel classes, I travel religiously for business and stay at many four star plus hotels in North America.

The Mangosteen was exceptional in many ways. We arrived late in the evening from Phuket with Backpacks in tow and our appearance somewhat “traveled”. The staff didn’t seem to mind at all. They were quick to serve us juice, provide towels to clean up with and handled the check in process with pleasure and professionalism. We were shown to our bungalow and were very pleased with what we found.

It was Valentines Day and we were surprised to see that the room was meticulously covered with flowers. They had to be in at least a dozen different places in the room and everywhere throughout the room and the resort. Everything was meticulous and the room was fantastically appointed. The complimentary fresh fruit was popular as was the water bottles.

The bed was comfortable and the size of the shower was great, with the rain shower head and the body shower gel a favorite of my wife. We also enjoyed watching our movies that the front desk would play for us. The exercise facility was clean and you biked with a view of the water and islands…excellent.

The buffet breakfast was excellent, great combination of fresh fruits, omelets, your typical “American” breakfast fare. We did have dinner there twice and really enjoyed the food, it was pricey but expected for a hotel of this caliber.

The island pool was our sanctuary to relax and wind down; we loved the grass center island.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we returned for two nights after a week’s time.

I work for Service Intelligence, a company that does mystery shopping and measures “customer experience”. This establishment exceeded my expectations. My compliments to the staff and management of this resort.
Regards,
nvaid@serviceintelligence.com

Greenwich, London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2006

My husband and I stayed in Mangosteen Resort and Spa in February this year for our annual holiday. The hotel looked very beautiful indeed. The staff was helpful. The room was nice although I was a little disappointed as I thought my room would have a jacuzzi. Still I think it's a communication mistake I made with my agent when I booked it.
Anyway our room got a nice view. There's a hammock outside the room but it's just very low, so I could not really use it, or my body would touch the ground! Haha....there's also a bench and something like a table outside our room and it was great, we would just sat there and chatted sometimes and enjoyed the breeze. The resort was much higher up then other hotels in Phuket as it located on a hill.
I was a little disappointed with the breakfast. Not sure if it's to do with the number of customers there at that time, but the choice of food was not much. However, compare to what breakfast hotels would serve here in Europe, Mangosteen could still beat them easily! Tried their lunch in the same restaurant and it was good!
I think it is fair to say this hotel is a 4*+ rather than a 5*. Anyway we had a nice time there. This is not the best hotel I have stayed in Phuket, but would I go back again in the future? I think so as it's one of my husband's favourite hotels!

Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2006

Me and 5 other persons stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in April 2006, and we had a very nice stay. Great service, smiling and helpful staff, the best breakfast I've ever had in Asia , good food in the restaurant, beautiful rooms with comfortable beds, lovely little details everywhere. The only bad thing - it was a bit far away from everything else (beach, town, other restaurants etc.).
We would love to come back :-)

• Stayed April 2006
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

Staying here after a 2 week mulit-centre stay in Phuket was fantastic. Echoing other comments, the only thing worth improving on was the food. If they woudl get the chef from Mon Tri's Boathouse, they would have the best resort on the Island. Aside from the restaurant, service was excellent throughout - especially the front desk that was able to handle multiple tasks with amazing efficiency (if only we could take them home to England). The Spa was everything you could expect with very professional service. Definitely not a place to bring children. Please please please get consistency in the food and we will be coming back.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

Me and my boyfriend stayed in the resort for a week in september 2005.The room was lovely and the rain shower and jacuzzi al fresco were really fantastic,eventhough we could hear the guests next door while having a shower.No much privacy.The restaurant chef is german and you could notice that straight away from the selection of dishes in the restaurant.During breakfast,it seemed to be in Munich or Hamburg.You do not expect that in a 5 star THAI resort!!!One morning he was shouting at his thai staff in thai language but at the end he swore in german...saying something like...You bloody idiots...!!How unprofessional!!!I would not reccomend the food there.

• Stayed September 2005
, Owner at Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2006
Our German Chef has left the resort in October 2005 as a result of the problems you are mentioning. We apologize. The Mangosteen is now offering a complete new Thai menu with a large choice of local specialities. Western dishes are under the theme "Medditerranean delights with Asian tastes", there is no German influence any more. The restaurant became popular not only with resort guests but also with Phuket residents. Especially the Latin Night and the sumptuous Sunday brunches become legendary on the Island.
Milano
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

I went to the Mangosteen for a lunch, and I was extremely disappointed.
I waited a very long time to be served. Finally I got a dish completely different from the menu (pork loin without the green pepper sauce as advertised and baked potatoes insted of French fries).
The desert: the worst Banana split of my life, the ice cream was impossible to eat!
The hotel does a lot of advertising on the island (especially for the Sunday brunch), but my personal food experience was extremely bad.

• Stayed February 2006
We have two similar dishes on the menu and it seems that you received the wrong one. We are sorry for this. We would have served you a new dish immediately if you would have complained. Our ice cream is home made in Phuket and very delicious, in fact a best seller in the restaurant. We do not understand this point and would be happy to meet you again at the resort for an "ice cream testing session". Please let me know if you are interested to meet and test together. Thank you very much.

Been to Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa? Share your experiences!