“Rawai relaxed and roomy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rawai Palm Beach Resort

You added Rawai Palm Beach Resort to your Saves list
Rawai Palm Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   66/2 Viset Road, Rawai, Phuket Town, Phuket 83130 , Thailand   |
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Rawai
4.0 of 5 stars 272 Reviews
GOLD COAST
“Rawai relaxed and roomy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have just spent 8 days in this resort from 5th April. I gave the hotel this 4 star rating in perspective of hotels in Thailand.
On arrival we were shown to a room by the pool, ground floor which meant you would have to keep your door and drapes drawn, passing guests can just look in otherwise. The back of the room overlooks the road outside. I asked politely if we could move room, it took a very short time to move us up to the next level, still in the same block......same view out back, balcony looking at the pool. ( I cannot remember if my friends booked a deluxe or superior room for us). When I said that I was still not happy with this room because my husband had just had a slight back injury and was struggling with the stairs, I was told to speak to reception in the morning. Sure enough the Manager was very obliging and had allocated us another room on the other side of the pool in the larger, taller block, 4th floor with lift access. Sure this resort is large and there is a bit of walking about to do before you even get to the lift, but it's under cover, cool and easy.....just a few more steps!!!! ( I guess these rooms would be somewhat of a challenge if you take anyone over seventy). Again on that note the front of the hotel is only accessible by steep driveway or steepish steps.
I asked the manager to show me the room before we moved and she did. On seeing the room I was pleasantly surprised by the size and view, just lovely as in the gallery pics on the NET. Huge bath, king size bed ( my husband is 6.4" including bad back) ! Large balcony overlooking the pool with table and chairs with a view out to the islands. The room was very clean and tidy with the usual towels, gels, shampoos and tea/coffee, fridge facilities, plus gowns for after a shower. Flip flops too. The toilet was spotless and had a hand held bidet shower, just so good if you are used to using one as we are.
We used the free Wifi every day without a hitch on our iPads, which came in handy, and as you may know can be very expensive at some hotels. We used it to plan the next day, sights and tours on Google.
Breakfast was included with our package and was very acceptable for Thailand, (if you were staying at Gracelands near Patong, different story.......just wonderful all round ). Plenty of fresh breads, cereals and prepared fruits, yogurts, tea and coffee etc etc. cooked breakfasts were available too as well as the Asian breakfasts.
If you have ever been to Asia before you will understand that the "conceived/ expected" level of services are not always what you think they will be! None the less this hotel was very good. So sometimes the hand towels were missing, another day the pool towels, it's just a relaxed way that these beautiful people have......but it's never a problem to solve as long as you are polite and SMILE, and as I did, practice my pidgin Thai language on them, which always made them smile!
The pool is huge, sparkling, cleaned every day at 5.30am, with plenty of room for all to enjoy all day, plenty of loungers, pool bar and food.
We had several meals from the room service menu at night, they were just great (try the duck with crispy noodles) and so inexpensive, even the bar fridge beer/drink was so cheap. ( we shopped at 711 for snacks and drinks. A long neck Heineken was 75 bhat.......my husband was in heaven).
Rawai is a fishing village as described, where the long tail and speed boats go from, out to the islands, ( another story), so it's very convenient really. Quiet at night and felt safe to walk about down to the restaurants and bars. Our favs were Chocolate and Bentleys Bar, all had spotless toilets and good service. The fish market where you go buy your fish, turn around and ask the restaurant opposite to cook it is a novel experience not to be missed......1 fish is about 200 baht, then the restaurants cook it for a few dollars, yum and so fresh.
Patong and its craziness is a taxi ride away. You can stop and feed the elephants, take pics on the way. No tuk tuks much in Rawai.......why not an air conditioned taxi for 600 baht! The driver will stay and wait for up to five hours or take you from shop to market before returning you back to your hotel.
DO NOT miss out on the Thai massage at SABAI, great value at 300 baht, also KIM'S the newer less personal massage place. We managed one a day together, sometimes a late one after a day in Patong, or on an island.
Overall we found Rawai Beach Palms to be the perfect place to chill out and yes we would go back there again, if that's what we were looking for in a holiday. Value for money......you bet, we only paid $50 Aus for this lovely resort a night including breakfast! Jay

Room Tip: Ask for the 4 - 5 th floor rooms for the view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Hotel was lovely. Breakfast was a buffet which had fresh breads, meats, rice etc. Our room was beautiful, we had a superior pool view. Big bath tub, separate shower and toilet. The room had A/C, a desk, sofa, balcony, clothes dryer, TV, fridge and phone. The pool was large and around waist level depth throughout. There was a small bar in the pool but there was hardly ever any staff on it! This hotel was great, but as backpackers this was our treat while traveling. This place would be great if you just wanted a relaxing vacation away. It wasn't very central to anything, apart from Rawai beach which isn't anything special. It was the furthest point from the airport, and taxis charge 900 bht to go here, so bare that in mind each way! The wifi was rubbish and required us to sign in again every 2-3 minutes. A free bottle of water was provided for each person every day. Lots of children and families stay here. There's a smaller kids pool with a small sand beach and deck chairs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I travelled with my family to the Rawai Palm Beach Resort. The three of us had two rooms (two in a deluxe pool view and me in a super pool view - the cheapest available room at the hotel). The difference in price between these rooms was minimal - about £4.00 per night - but you did get a lot more space and a few extra items of furniture in the room.

Arriving at the hotel in the late afternoon, we were given keys to each of our two rooms. I set off in search of my super pool view room (number 2216) and it was most impressive. Size-wise, it was much bigger than your average hotel room. Turning left on entering, a corridor led to a large wardrobe, to the right of which was a bathroom - complete with a very snazzy stone bath tub, a separate shower, wash basin and lavatory. The bedroom, equipped with no end of lights (including individual reading lights), also looked great. A large wooden headboard filled the wall. A large balcony with two chairs and a table was also available.

My only concern about the bedroom was the fact it was a twin, with two separate beds. At the time of booking, I had requested one room for one adult. I would have preferred a double bed and a redundant second bed.

I went off in search of my family to see how their room was. I found them stood in one of the open corridors, waiting, because their room was still not ready. It must have been long after 5.00pm (hotel check-in time was 2.00pm) and still they were made to wait. A bellboy waited with them whilst a maid frantically rushed about to get the room finished. It took about 10 minutes.

When the family could finally get into their room, they were disappointed. This room didn't resemble any of the hotel's website or Trip Advisor photographs. Immediately on the left were two twin beds, with a king size bed at the far end of the bedroom. In between the sleeping areas were a separate shower, toilet and sink area, with a kitchenette opposite. There was no bath tub, no turquoise tiled wall separating the bedroom and the bathroom and no drapes either. It really was very disappointing. Their dissatisfaction was promptly brought to the attention of the hotel staff at reception.

The explanation given for them being allocated the 'deluxe family room' was that it was an "upgrade". This was most certainly not an upgrade that was going to benefit them. No bath tub and a large chunk of the room wasted by two unnecessary beds. Just like my own room, the hotel knew who was coming - and they knew weeks in advance. Why would they allocate such a room to a couple? Anyway, an alternative room was offered at the back of the hotel. This one was a deluxe pool view but it was one of the dregs - the sort of room that every guest rejects. You could just about see the pool if you turned your head as far as it would go, but the view was otherwise of a building site and wasteland. Not really very special!

With a manager now involved, a resolution was soon reached. One of the hotel's deluxe pool access rooms was going to become available the following morning. If my family could make do with the family room for one night, they could move the next day. Of course, they were delighted by the offer and accepted.

As promised, they moved to room 1101 the following morning. This is the ground floor room with pool access, closest to the artificial beach. Inside, it was great. The door opened into a large bathroom, complete with bath tub and a separate lavatory and shower (both behind closed doors) and wash basin. Two draped archways led from there to the bedroom and living area, with ample seating and cushions for a comfortable night in. The balcony/terrace was the highlight of the room, with two sunbeds, a table and steps straight into the pool. Each pool access room benefits from its own private section of the swimming pool. Sunlight can be had here until around midday.

The pool itself was really quite special. It was a two tiered free-form pool with various bubbly bits (a shallow part for the children and a jacuzzi-like area), two large shower heads, three waterfalls, a rope bridge across one of the pools, a swim-up bar and an infinity edge. Next to it was a small beach area with deckchairs and umbrellas and lots of sand (even in the water).

Towels for the pool, rather unlike any hotel I have ever visited before, are in your room. Using the drying rail on your balcony, you can hang them up and use them a couple of times before changing them, but you are expected to leave them in your room when you want them to be changed. Given that my housekeeper wouldn't come into the room until 3.00pm usually, this didn't really work. Being alone, I could take one with me and leave one in the room, but for couples and families it is likely to be a problem.

Breakfast in the hotel was very good and one of the better breakfasts I have come across. Everything was very fresh, there was lots of variety (no days were ever the same) and the staff were friendly, chatty and efficient too. On our last morning, we went for breakfast at 6.30am since we had a flight to catch, and we agreed it was the best time to go. Lots of tasty and freshly baked breads, an array of pastries etc. Anybody hoping for a full English at the breakfast buffet is sure to be disappointed. You can help yourself to no end of chicken sausages, cooked to order eggs (however you like them) and bacon, with other options including rice, various spicy dishes, pasta, fresh fruit and yoghurt, cereals and bread/toast. Drinks included tea, coffee, juices and water.

The hotel offers complimentary internet - either wireless, for which you must obtain a user name and password from reception, or using the hotel's own internet corner, where three computers are available for use. From what I saw, there was always at least one computer going spare so there should never be a need to wait. The WiFi, frankly, was useless, even with no end of routers dotted around the hotel. It was very slow most of the time and it would very regularly disconnect.

The hotel provides minibus transportation to a couple of local beaches - Nai Harn and Yanui - both of which can be booked (for free) the day before you wish to travel. The timetable in reception shows the frequency of the minibuses. We did not once have a problem getting ourselves booked onto the transport. Sunbeds at each of the beaches are priced at 100THB each, which I found a little steep. With heavily inflated prices on drinks and snacks too, a day out at the beach was an expensive one!

The local area is a little livelier than we thought it would be. We had visions of arriving at a hotel in the middle of nowhere, but this most certainly wasn't the case. Various bars and restaurants can be reached on foot within 5-10 minutes and the nearest convenience store (Family Mart) is 200-300 metres away from the hotel, meaning that you could put together your own mini bar at a fraction of the hotel's price. Turn right out of the hotel and keep walking and you'll see the shop eventually. There are also some nice Thai kitchens in the local area, serving up dishes for as little as 60-100THB. Walk along the street next to the beach and look out for the Sunshine Bar (don't be put off by the name). The menu is limited but the food was very tasty and very cheap. Similarly, turn left out of the hotel (up the hill) and you will see another kitchen on your right (I forget the name). That too serves up cheap but tasty Thai food.

Food and drink in the hotel was reasonably priced. The hotel's twice-weekly buffet nights at 450THB also offered very good value for money. An evening of good food, music and dance, which went on until around midnight.

Going back to the rooms, these were cleaned on a daily basis, and it was really 'hit and miss' with the quality of cleaning in mine. With just one reasonably tidy person sleeping in the room, there was never very much for the housekeeper to do - except for making of the bed to a standard better than I was capable of. Apart from that, I couldn't work out what was being done. A long black hair on my bathroom floor remained there for the duration of my stay, eventually finding its way into the shower. And I knew that the housekeeper had been onto the balcony because she never locked the door afterwards.

Be aware, should you choose the superior room, that noise from the road behind may be bothersome. As explained above, the rooms are accessed via open corridors. There are no walls to block some of the noise out. Noisy scooters, music and car horns can be heard at all hours of the day and night. This does not apply to those rooms on the ground floor nor to the deluxe rooms.

The Rawai Palm Beach Resort is most certainly not for those with mobility problems. Whilst there are lifts to the rooms, there are a number of stairs to contend with at the entrance, so if you are not steady on your feet, you might like to look elsewhere. It definitely is a good choice, however, for couples and families. Kids will love the pool and the beach area at the hotel will definitely keep them busy for hours each day.

Checking out of the hotel was unnecessarily long-winded. The 10 minutes we had set aside was not enough and we had to keep our airport taxi driver waiting. There was absolutely no excuse for the inefficient handling of our departure. It was, after all, around 7.00am. There were no other guests around. And due to a faulty printer, I could not see a breakdown of the charges on my account. Instead, I had to rely on the receptionist writing the amount owed on a piece of paper.

Where I would like to see the hotel improve is (1) SECURITY - Although there are CCTV cameras throughout the hotel and double locks on bedroom doors, a spy hole is definitely needed. Guests have no idea who is knocking at their door. (2) BETTER ORGANISATION - Not to allocate twin bedrooms to lone travellers or to allocate or 'upgrade' guests to rooms that do not benefit them i.e. putting a married couple (without children) in a family bedroom. Also ensure that rooms are ready for guests arriving after the 2.00pm check-in time. A room not ready after 5.00pm is not what I would expect from a 4-star establishment. (3) BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY - Imagine my horror when I was asked to pay 660THB for a 20-minute telephone call to Bangkok. Yes, the call costs were made very clear in the information book, but how can this enormous charge be justified? What is the cost of this call to the hotel? It certainly isn't anywhere near what they charged me. (4) IMPROVED INTERNET FACILITY - Don't get me wrong, the internet corner is brilliant, but the WiFi is pretty bad. A more reliable and faster service is essential.

This is a nice hotel and I will return if ever in the area again but I think at the moment that a 4-star rating might be a little too generous. This hotel is not quite on par with others that I have stayed at - even those of a lesser rating.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth paying the small premium for a deluxe room since you do benefit from a large...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Well positioned (at far end of Rawai, so away from the go-go bars), with excellent facilities (room, pool, internet, gym). Would liked to have rated overall higher but... miserable staff, disorganised and generally disinterested. Food cheap but poor, cocktails same. Not the Thailand we are used to. However, best massage I've had in long time.
Overall, the customers and the hotel itself deserves better Management/staff training.

• Stayed May 2012
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The resort is not as secluded as we thought based upon the photos, but this was actually a good thing. Overall, the resort is VERY nice and well appointed. We have stayed around the world and many hotels and resorts and this was probably the best hotel pool we have ever stayed out. It is immense and has tasteful water features. We had a pool access room which is a great feature and not sure why more hotels/resorts don't do this. This alone gave the hotel good marks. The room was good sized and the bathroom was beautiful. The biggest down fall for the hotel was the language of the staff. Given that nearly all the guests are international and speak some level of English the staffs English was not up to par to handle easy and simple requests. Despite the language barrier the staff was pleasant, helpful and tried hard. Overall, we had a great time and this was our favorite hotel of the four we stayed at in Thailand -- hands down. Would recommend this resort. Please keep in mind that when you are checking in and out, bring an extra set of patience as they move at a glacial pace. If you know this going into it you will save yourself a lot of frustration. Otherwise agree with Ntjackal's posting.

Pluses:
+ Pool, pool, pool
+ resort upkeep and general tideness
+ Rooms large and tastifully appointed
+ Shuttle that runs to three different beaches
+ Within walking distance to the shops and restaurants (5-10 minutes depending how far you walk).
+ Breakfast selection
+ the one dinner we took at the resort restaurant was very good

Minuses:
+ Staff that speaks marginal English at best
+ A reservation system that reminds me of something you would have seen before 1950's. When they check you in and out they literally pull out a binder that looks like a medical file full papers. This day in age there is no need for this and this impacts on checking in and out.
+ They have half board options with set menus but they don't advertise and price of it is not value for money. If they advetised it and made it affordable, they would fill their restaurant at night.
+ Bus Shuttle needs to run more frequently and to a couple of more beaches.

Room Tip: Go for a pool access room that is close to the Reception.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
oldham, manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Have just spent 4 days at the Rawai palm beach resort and was pleased it lived up to the reviews on here :) Our room was right next to the pool on the ground floor. The room was a great size with 2 queen size beds pushed together, the beds were really comfy and there was a choice of pillows. The air con worked great and could be temperature adjusted between 10 and 30 degrees. There was a seperate sink with mirror and also a lovely bath tub and seperate shower with 2 shower heads, a rain shower and a power shower. Had no problem getting hot water even after running a bath. There is a free safe and the whole hotel is very well protected with CCTV. The room has a tele with loads of channels in a selection of languages and also has a fridge with mini bar. You get 2 bottles of water a day (be aware that you need to leave these in the room once empty as they are recycled and you will be charged 20baht per missing bottle.

There is room service is required and breakfast is buffet style with a great selection to choose from. We had one meal at the restaurant on our first night and this was the only down side. to be fair we had pizza which isnt very Thai, and it came with all the topping underneath a large piece of cheese on top and hence the topping was barely cooked. The hotel is a 5 minute walk down to the beach front which has a good selection of bars and restaurants. Here there are loads of locals selling trips to the surrounding islands and if you take a walk along the pier there were locals fishing. Make sure you take a trip to phromthep cape which is about 2km away ( we walked it but beware its a hilly road and in the heat you need a certain level of fitness. But either way it is an amazing sight even if the clouds cover the sun before sunset. The hotel offers free daily bus to 2 local beaches and a free bus twice a week to its sister hotel in kata.

The pool is great and we had no problem getting sunbeds. There is a swim up pool bar to which is nice in the midday heat.

Overall the hotel is in a great location and although Rawai itself seems a little quiet there are plenty of places nearby to make day trips to which can be booked at the hotel reception if required.

Room Tip: I requested a pool side room and got this so its worth it for the convenience. The rooms on the sout...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We loved the room with private pool off the patio with sun lounges. The swim up bar was good but it was disappointing that we had to get out of our pool to access the pool bar. The scale of the hotel is huge and is not accessible to anyone who cannot climb a lot of stairs. It took 7 minutes to walk from the front desk to our room. The hotel promised a lot but did not deliver on 24 hour room service, doctor availability and cash exchange all of which were promised in the compendium.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the front desk on the ground floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rawai Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!