“Terrible location nowhere near any beach and overpriced.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of RaTaNa Apart Hotel

You added RaTaNa Apart Hotel to your Saves list
RaTaNa Apart Hotel
3.0 of 5 Apartment Hotel   |   97/3 Wiset Road Rawai Phuket | Rawai Beach, Rawai, Phuket Town, Phuket 83130 , Thailand   |
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Rawai
Phuket, Thailand
“Terrible location nowhere near any beach and overpriced.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a terrible location on a very busy road. There is only one very expensive taxi available, 500 BHT for 5kms ($17 US). The hotel charges you and then pays the driver, it is the same with motorbikes they are far more expensive than you can find all around. The hotel seems to have no mangement and it is very hard to get information. Such as the restaurant which has a sign saying "Open every day" but had been closed since New Year. No one could be bothered to write on the board outside the restaurant when it would be open again. The staff at the front desk did'nt know and did'nt care. When it is open be prepared for lots of men dining with no shirts on, not what I want to see when I am eating. The menus are mostly in Russian with some English & Thai. I will find somewhere else more central next time. The address says Rawai but it is 10kms from Rawai or Naiharn beach

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Clean and good place to stay at heart of Chalong Phuket. Sauna was the best thing for me and also swimming pool area was really nice. Staff was friendly and helpful. I stayed there for three nights. Room was big and nice with safetybox and fridge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Hotel was good. Room was clean and big enough. Pool was ok. There's no beach near, but we knew that so it was ok. We stayed two times in this hotel, before and after going to the sea trip. No breakfast was included in the price, that wasn't very nice. The hotel staff didn't spoke good English, that caused couple of bad situations, disappointments in couple of things, because they didn't understand the basic hotel vocabulary. Cocks/roosters yelled very much during the night, so it was pretty hard to sleep.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We, my wife (Debbie) and I found this hotel very nice, a bit more pricey than other hotels in the Chalong area but you get what you pay for (we did).
We were in the sea view room (401, for four weeks), not a bad view.
Duuring our last (April 2012) holiday in Phuket Debbie did abit of research and found this hotel, Deb chose it as it was in an alright spot, we were aware of the road. So if the road or the view is a problem, maybe people should do a little homework first. Not complain after because they couldn’t be bothered.
Front office staff was always helpful, cheerful, always smiled and said hello. (as was night staff), spoke good English we don’t speak Thai.
Could not say the above for some of the guests that we encounter.
Our house maid was trustworthy, honest and did an impressive job.
Pool was saltwater no sore eyes from over use of chemicals, but the hours were up and down?
We never used the restaurant as there is plenty of choices in the area as like most hotels the prices may of been a little higher than out in the street.
Gym looked great, that’s as close as I got.
We had 2 half-hearted concerns.
1: had to but down 1 months’ rent in bond, which was returned after water & elect was taken out the day we left, what was returned was about what we through we may get back.
We were awhere of this as it was explained to us in April. We but this down to the hotel has had problems with past guests?
2: were left at the airport the night of arrival after e-mails were sent to confirm our arrival date and plane time, but this was miner as there’s one or two taxi’s out there.
We would not have a problem staying here again.
Kindest regards to staff
John & Debbie

Room Tip: Do your research before your stay in Thailand or other destinations; don't complain after becaus...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at RaTaNa Apart Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Mr.John and Ms.Debbie, We would like to thank you for staying with us and we do appreciate you taking time to share your kind review. We are so happy you did have a good time with our staffs and our apart-hotel. We also were glad we had such nice guests as you both. Regard to airport transfer when you arrived, we apologize for our mistake and misunderstanding about date and time to pick you up at the airport. We will check more carefully next time. On behalf of the entire staff of Ratana Apart-Hotel @ Chalong, we sincerely thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you to our apart-hotel again very soon.
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

In short:
If you want a decent place to stay (and are out in the morning and back late, e.g. diving), you know your way around and do not expect extraordinary service, this is a good place to be. I might come back there when doing my instructor course.
If you look for a resort like feeling, pampering service and all amenities of life in walking distance, then this might disappoint you.
I stayed in the Ratana for 3 weeks during part of my divemaster course. I was looking for something decent with an affordable price, close to the pier in Chalong.
Let me outline the place:
Rooms are rather new, nice and well furnished. Most come with a large fridge, Microwave and water kettle. The larger ones (Seaview and 2 Bedroom even with a small cooking facility).
The hotel is on the large (4 lane) road between Chalong and Rawai, with a cheap labour camp on one side and some rather cheap looking houses and a school on the other.
In short: forget any kind of view, except for the seaview rooms on 4th and 5th floor, which are overlooking chalong bay, but once you go on the terrace, you still have the noisy road ahead of you. All windows are isolated, so once you close them, there is no noise from the streets. Thats a big plus.
The restaaurant is, well, lets say not that great. I had dinner twice when I came back late and was too beaten to go out. Okayish food but with a price too high for the setting.
There is a supermarket on the front side of the Hotel which caters for all basic needs and a 7/11 and a Tesco Lotus down the road for the bigger shopping.
The hotel can arrange laundry, bike rentals, massages and transport. Internet (WiFi) is currently free. No great speed, but good enough to stay in touch.
I was quite happy with it, but can understand some of the complains voiced by others. Depends on what you expect really.

Room Tip: The seaview rooms are nice, followed by the deluxe rooms. Standard rooms are ok, but quite small.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
ratanaapart, Manager at RaTaNa Apart Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Dear AlexK01, On behalf of the entire staff of Ratana Apart-Hotel @ Chalong, we would like to thank you for staying with us and we do appreciate you taking time to share your kind review. We are glad to hear that you have been satisfied with our room, facilities. Nevertheless,we will continue to strive for better service to meet guest's expectation.
Thank you once again. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you to Ratana Apart-Hotel again in the near future.
Phuket, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I visited Ratana last year (2011) and I liked it because it had 24 hours pool access. Although it is in an area that is not popular by tourists, the pool area made up for it. This year I also booked the same hotel and when I arrived the pool was closed with gates 7pm. I was told by the manager that due to the opening of the restaurant pool is closed from 7pm till 11pm, since the restaurant needs to clean and close up. I thought ok, I can accept this. When I came back to the hotel 11pm the pool was still closed and then I was left with the night watch who spoke english and responded to what I asked. He told me that HE DOES NOT CARE (he did that repeatedly) and that I can ask the manager again tomorrow and that she can show me the policy. I would like to leave this hotel but since the cancellation fee after 14 days is 100% of the total cost what I paid when I checked in, in cash and also they have my credit card information I am stuck here for the rest of my vacation or I could just through 500 Euros away(which is a lot of money in Thailand) and start looking for a new hotel. During my check in I had some other unpleasant responses that did not leave me the feeling of hospitality of Thailand that you can see here in Phuket almost everywhere! 9.02.2012- Liis

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ratanaapart, Manager at RaTaNa Apart Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Dear Ms.Liis,
I would like to sincere apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us at Ratana Apart-Hotel. I am sorry to hear about your experience with one of our personnel at the front desk. We have discussed this issue with our staff to improve customer satisfaction level. About pool service, It appears this situation was a misunderstanding with pool opening time. Our pool open daily 7am to 11pm. I apologize if this wasn’t clearly explained.
We appreciate your comments and will learn from them so that we will be a better host to our guests in the future.
We thank you for giving us the opportunity in serving you a second time. We hope you will continue to choose Ratana Apart-Hotel again in the future.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed here over the Christmas holidays and we regret that we did not pay a little extra for a better hotel in a better location. Here are some serious issues about this hotel.

First and the most important is the attitude of the staffs, except the lady at the reception (Jenny) everyone else is extremely rude and unhelpful. The guy at the reception has absolutely no communication skills and very rude at times. Do not bother asking them direction or guidance as you wont get any.

The first night we arrived there was a little stain on the duvet sheet, it was really late at night and we couldn't be bothered with it. The next night when we returned the stain was still there and the day after, when we asked the cleaning lady if she has changed the linens she said they don't do it everyday so we had to actually ask for this to be done. This is very poor. The bathroom "amenities" as advertised in their website consist of a small bottle of body wash and a tiny bottle of shampoo. When we first arrived very late at night, we asked for a bar of soap to wash our hands with, the lady at the reception expected us to use the body wash as soap. She was extremely rude and left us talking to herself in their own language sounding very rude and disrespectful. The body wash wasn't even enough for two people to take a shower let alone using it to wash hands throughout the day. Luckily there was a supermarket just next to the hotel and we purchased our soap, tooth paste, a large bottle of body wash etc from there at midnight when we arrived. Imagine you get to the hotel tired after a long trip from the airport (takes at least one hour) and then you have to go buy things that you expect to find in any hotel. The airport is right at the top north of the phuket island and this place is right in the south so imagine how far you have to travel.

Location of the hotel is pretty bad. we had to hire a scooter. It is about 30 minutes drive to Patong and a good 20 to Karon beach. Its fun riding a scooter but imagine after 30 minutes in bumpy roads of Phuket once u get to Patong you need a full body massage. There is no good bar, restaurants nothing nearby so you have to travel that far everyday at least twice unless you plan to go to nearby islands during the day and want to use the hotel as a base somewhere to sleep at nights and you don't really care how you are treated.

Luckily we spend only a few days at this hotel and we spend the rest of our holiday in a beautiful resort in Karon. we paid twice as much as we paid here and we regret that we spoilt our first few days at this hotel. I do not even give it two stars. The lady at the reception (Jenny) was lovely though, the only good thing about this hotel and this is it. I think the management should seriously think about gaining some customer service skills and how to talk to guests in a respectful manner and then pass this on to their staff. I can understand if they can not speak good English, this was not an issue for us, but you can always make people feel welcome by your body language, you can at least smile.

We stayed at 6 different hotels during our three weeks holiday in south east Asia and this was our only bad experience.

Overall I would suggest to anyone considering to stay at this hotel to think about it twice. I would pay a little extra and get a hotel in Karon. Karon is much better than Patong. Much more cleaner, and less busy. Lots of good restaurants and anything you want can be found in Karon area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at our facility. Also I sincerely apologize that some of our staff was not up our standards. I have addressed these concerns with our staff and we will be taking steps to improve upon your comments. your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.
Thank you once again and We would love to have you come back and stay with us again, as you may have noticed when you were here we have had the better services.

Been to RaTaNa Apart Hotel? Share your experiences!