“Simply put...the best.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre

Save Saved
You added Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre to your Saves list
Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   27/1 Soi Mittrapap | Friendship Beach, Rawai, Phuket Town, Phuket 83130, Thailand (Formerly Friendship Beach Resort & Spa by iCheck Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 24 hotels in Rawai
Osaka, Japan
“Simply put...the best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Hawaii, Guam, Bali and Thailand many times over. I have done my fair share of travel and stayed at some nice spots.
Simply put Friendship Beach Resort is THE BEST experience that I have had to date. I was with a friend and we both LOVED our time there.
The staff...great. The views...awesome. The service...spectacular. If you want a TRULY relaxing vacation experience and happen to find yourself on the island of Phuket Friendship beach is THE place for you.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the water, nearby islands and moon is winner.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we look forward with anticipation to your next visit. Obviously you are a world traveler and to receive a review like yours is heartwarming. Very best wishes to you.

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife booked this as our second place to stay on our holiday. We had just had a fantastic few days in another part of Phuket and then we came here, mainly for my wife as she wanted us to have a romantic time in a quiet but special place. Sadly, it wasn't for us dor the following reasons:

First, it is expensive to travel here and go anywhere from here. There is basically nothing particularly interesting around the area and to get to other restaurants and beaches, you have to take a very expensive taxi service. All there is nearby is an ok coffee shop (but at least it had proper food!!), and a minimart shop about 300 yards from the entrance. It felt isolated, but maybe some people like that. I didn't, to be honest, but my wife was ok about it.

The rooms are ok, but so noisy. Our room was near the pool and path and at night on 3 occasions people were having a really loud argument. It is full of yoga people and they appeared to be stressed out at times and having a relationship issue. So, sleep wasn't great. These yoga people ought to chill out and have a cigarette. More on that in a tick.

There is a pool, which is average size and ok. It was nice to swim, but that was all there was to do really. Oh, and some people were swimming with their clothes on! They were Thai (I guess) kids and two ladies and they were eating at the table near the deluxe block and then went into the pool with their clothes on! I was astonished as that is terrible terrible terrible hygiene. Nobody said anything to them too! After I saw this, I was turned off the pool. There is a beach but it is not for swimming. But the sea was calmer here than in the other place we stayed, so sad that the beach is not great to go take a swim in.

The food is strange. My wife showed me the website before we came here and it said there is a famous chef and the menu looked good. When we got here the food was different from the menu and it was like some health place. At this I wanted to leave, but my wife had already paid and we stayed till the end of our time. There were a couple of things we tried that did turn out to be semi tasty, but how can people eat most of this stuff? I was very unhappy that the resort did not let us know in advance that it had changed food and focus.

Next, I smoke. Ok, I am not ashamed about that as I enjoy it, but here I had other people staying there asking me to move and stop smoking. The staff were ok as they gave me an ashtray and let me sit between the beach and pool, but other guests would come up to me and I noticed the looks. Other smokers were having the same problem. In the days I was there, I got spoken to 3 times by other guests! What the @@@@!

In all honesty, I wouldn't like to come here again and I really think the website should tell the truth. It was so disappointing after such a swell first half of our holiday on the other side.

Room Tip: Don't believe what you see on their website!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
It is most unusual to receive comments like this but we thank you for taking time to post your views. While we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay, your review does confirm to us that we are heading in the right direction. In fact the heading of your post is perfect. We are not an action-packed, night-spot. There is plenty of opportunity for that in other areas of Phuket, namely Patong. We are a relaxed, laid-back, simple, comfortable, semi up-scale and friendly resort. Of course this is not to everybody’s taste.

It’s a shame we weren’t informed about the guests who argued at night, if we had been, then perhaps we could have spoken with them.

It is a Thai custom to be modest when swimming, as it is in many cultures. Here we try to embrace the country we live in and our guests typically enjoy that they have the opportunity to meet Thai people in the resort, instead of having little or no interaction with the local culture. As our swimming pool has an excellent filtration system I very much doubt that the hygiene concern you express is an issue at all.

Our menu has evolved and I apologize that we have not updated the website to reflect this. I will contact our webmaster today to do so. Our award winning chef is still in charge of the kitchen, and we are offering a range of dishes including fresh seafood, pastas, and vegetarian dishes. We also have burgers and sandwiches on our menu for those who prefer something a little less healthy.

Regarding smoking, most countries have legislation that restricts smoking in restaurants and many public areas. We choose to let the majority of our guests enjoy a smoke free environment. There is a smoking area, right on the beach which guests are welcome to use. In fact as a smoker myself, I use that area. This is a basic courtesy for those who do not enjoy the smell and the health dangers associated with cigarettes.
Obviously you didn’t have a great time and that’s unfortunate.

We do look forward to continuing to welcome and please guests who are looking for something a little different from the typical mainstream resort experience.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

3 rd trip here all ways stay here,this end of the island is just magic,the staff become your family not just friends,everything you would like to do or see is just down the road, the staff will help you with local Knowles and secrets,try the Rawai seafront fish markets,buy it fresh and then decide how its to be cooked,is it expensive?silly question,value,all the busy tourist stuff is just over the hill,but really if you want to relax and enjoy the real Thailand and be welcomed home ,simply stay here

Room Tip: Ocean front is good
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Sir - Your comments are reflect exactly what we are trying to achieve. Anyone who stays with us on 3 occasions surely is a seasoned traveler and can write an accurate review. Thanks from all the staff for your kind comments.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I were there for just over 3 weeks on a training course. We had a spacious deluxe room which was comfortable, well furnished and always kept very clean; in fact the whole hotel area was very clean. It's a peaceful, relaxing place right on the beach - ideal if you want to be away from the madding crowd. If you haven't got a car or a bike, however, there's not much around that's within walking distance other than a 7/11 mini-market and local night markets twice a week. The staff are friendly and helpful. I've held off giving this place a 5-star because the restaurant menu lacked choice. We were full-board (brunch and dinner) and brunch rotated between two sorts of spread. If you didn't want eggs, there were no bacon or sausages and they didn't offer to get any in. The food is always freshly prepared but the lack of variability wore us down. There is, however, a rather good little cafe less than 5 minutes walk away that kept us going with good coffee and sandwiches.

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe rooms rather than the Superior. They are however doing major renovations on the o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments. You happened to stay with us when we were in the process of changing our menu from unhealthy to healthy and it was somewhat limited. However, the fare has been greatly expanded since your visit and, although we won't be offering obvious unhealthy foods ( iodized salt, meats with chemicals added, refined sugar, etc.), I think that now you would be pleasantly surprised.

Blessings to you,
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here for 8 nights in July.

We had booked a 'superior' room, which was clean but very basic and dark and it also had a strange smell of mould. The ceiling was blackened in parts and the bathroom was ok, but didn't feel private and again had a mouldy ceiling. The poorest thing about the room was the bed though as the mattress must have been rather old as there were lots of lumps with the frame sticking through when lying on it, making for interrupted sleep each night. We did see some of the other rooms by the pool and those did look far better.

The pool was nice and large although it's not just for hotel guests, but anyone can come along and use it for the price of a coconut juice and there were lots of locals in the pool. Curious policy.

Sadly too, smoking was common around the pool. We were staying here to partake in a programme at the excellent Atmanjai, which is in the same complex and we had expected a no smoking policy, but were very surprised to find that smoking was accepted on tables outside rooms, around the pool and in the restaurant area. It's the year 2012, and smoking went out years ago with most hotels around the world banning it from restaurant and pool areas, but this resort still needs to get its act together on this score.

The staff are great! They are friendly and efficient and always smile and say hello to guests.

The view from the pool area is stunning. So many colours and hues and different moods depending on the height of the tide.

The beach is not at all swimable as there is a narrow band of sand then the mud begins and on the mud are all sorts of things you wouldn't want to stand on. However, with a decent pool it would be issue, were it not for the fact that at weekends especially, the pool was full of locals and not hotel guests.

The restaurant had a great menu and my wife loved eating the healthy and tasty food on offer (that is, when someone wasn't smoking and causing filthy smoke to drift across the pool area). The restaurant could be improved though, by getting rid of the alcoholic drinks altogether and over time gain a fantastic reputation as a place to go to for a complete health kick, with great raw foods, fantastic juice combos and of course, absolutely no cancerous smokers destroying the mood and health of others.

If we came here again, we would check on the smoking policy first and book rooms by the pool rather than the 'superior' rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you for your response. We have never had comments like yours before and to be aware of your concerns makes us more responsive to your remarks.

Next week we are starting construction on the building you stayed in and it will be no more. All our other rooms are rather up-scale and the new building will reflect this same ambience.

Best wishes,
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here during our visit to Phuket in July 2012.
Positive comments:
-the resort is amazing! It's well kept with courteous professional staff, right on the beach. We stayed in the ocean front room and felt like we were in paradise. The balcony opened onto the beach and the private bathroom jacuzzi had a large window that also opened onto the bay. It reminded us of our honeymoon in Hawaii.
-free WiFi
-safe in room.
-great location if you just want to chill out and relax away from crowds and a hectic pace.

Suggestions:
-we were there in off season and were unable to order some items that were in the off season menu. Perhaps during off season - a sheet or chalkboard with the menu that is updated daily indicating the food items that are -or- are not available.
-a "do not disturb /service please" sign for the room doors would be a nice touch. We received a knock and "housekeeping" alert before the cleaning staff promptly opened the door and entered the room. Once they saw we were not ready they left, but some guests may be caught in an uncompromising position.
-I did not ask and should have, but I wasn't sure if the hotel had mosquito nets available upon requests for guests.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
We aim to please and it appears we have succeeded. Thank you for your suggestions, they were 'right on the mark.' We look forward to your return. Wonderful people write wonderful reviews.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have been staying at Friendship Beach on all my trips to Phuket for many years. I normally come here 3 - 4 times a year for 5 - 7 days per trip. Each trip seems to get better and better. The atmosphere is 2nd to none. I highly recommend this venue for 1 and all.

Room Tip: The pool side rooms are my favorites
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
How rewarding it is for all the staff to receive reviews like this. It justifies all their efforts and is a reflections of their caring and personal service. I know you have the means to patronize five star resorts and it is with great thanks that you come back again and again. Blessings to you and your family.
STARR

Been to Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre? Share your experiences!