“Affordable beachfront luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre

You added Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre to your Saves list
Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   27/1 Soi Mittrapap | Friendship Beach, Rawai, Phuket Town, Phuket 83130, Thailand (Formerly Friendship Beach Resort & Spa by iCheck Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Rawai
4.5 of 5 stars 239 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
“Affordable beachfront luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This resort has absolute beach frontage and you are able to rent rooms literally on the waterfront. I opted for a King size double room overlooking the pool and was totally satisfied... comfy bed pillows, efficient aircon and private balcony with sun lounges. The staff are all amazing and most of them speak English. I stayed on my own as I was attending the Detox Centre next door (Atmanjai - also a great experience) and felt completely safe and well looked after. There is a good sized pool with plenty of sun lounges .. you can see the beach whilst sitting at the pool. The restaurant serves refreshments all day long.. either served to you by the pool or in the restaurant itself and the food is fantastic ... delicious and great value for money. Unfortunately I could not use the restaurant for the 3 days I was on the detox, however they were happy for us "detoxers" to bring our delicous raw salads to the tables overlooking the beach allowing us to enjoy the view with the other diners. The resort itself is not luxurious, but it has a bohemian, casual and pefectly relaxing atmosphere which is hard to beat. Only 5 minutes from Rawai with its great restaurants and market, perhaps 200 baht by taxi. On the main road behind the resort there is a 7 eleven and a little beauty salon that offers great massages (I had massage/manny and pedi for 500 baht). I had such a wonderful time at Friendship Beach that after I checked out to continue my holiday with friends in Phuket we made a special trip across the island to enjoy a beautiful lunch with its fabulous postcard views and ambience. I cannot wait to return to Friendship Beach Resort.

Room Tip: If your $ allow go for either pool view or beach view... you are in Thailand after all
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments. We know that you, being Australian, are a discerning traveler and we cherish your observations. Your experience with us confirms what we are trying to achieve as working - a relaxed quality atmosphere with service for our guests no matter the scope.

As it is entering the fall months in your country, perhaps you will visit again as your weather turns more severe. It is a pleasure to cater to travelers of your caliber.

Blessings,
STARR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I'm always staggered by the reviews this place gets; a backpackers place IT IS NOT! I have never stayed here but every time I come to Phuket, it is the first place that I head for for a relaxing lunch or dinner.
The location is stunning. The pool and surroundings are beautifully kept. Clued up travellers to Phuket will realise that the glorious sandy beaches (and the horrid bars, tuk tuk drivers etc) are on the west and the fabulous views and the odd little beach are on the east. Whilst were there last week for lunch there was a wedding taking place on the beach and the wedding party were then on horseback - it was beautiful.
We visited for dinner on the 20th and 27th March and enjoyed a lovely meal of a huge prawn 'goong sarong' starter and seared tuna special, with wine and water and it cost 1500 bahts for two of us. Great laid back entertainment - singer with guitar and then a duo who were great. It is a classy retreat from the sometimes madness of Phuket!
I love it>

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Right on the Mark and we thank you for you observations and comments. We do not cater to the frantic tourist but rather to those who appreciate informality, style, and enjoyment of the beauty of Phuket. You obviously are a discerning traveler.

Best wishes to you,
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Decided to pamper ourselves with a 4 night stay in the Jacuzzi suite.

The hotel is situated in the quiet part of the island, away from all the noise and bustle of Patong and Karon beaches (no constantly pestering locals for tuk tuks or tailors).

The room was clean, and the hotel staff friendly, with the reception staff speaking reasonable english, and other staff adequate english to get your meaning across.

The location was fantastic, our room literally on the beach, however the water isn't quite as clear as the western side of the island.

We stayed in room 40, which is right next to the pool, and the front porch opens to the beach. Being close to the pool, we found that it was a bit noisy in the morning with people going past or staff working in the grounds.

My biggest gripe is that the bathroom is outdoors in an enclosed courtyard attached to the room. While it was a novelty at first, privacy was compremised. If, like me, you indulge in a few of the local delacacies, your toilet visit may be a bit embarrasing... as it is open air and right next to the massage pagola. Oh, and brace yourself for some mosquitoes in the courtyard too.

All in all, an enjoyable stay. While I would definitely return to the resort, i wouldnt stay in the jacuzzi suite.

Room Tip: Not the Jacuzzi room!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for your review and for enjoying your stay.

I really appreciate that you acknowledge our staff, as a “family run” resort, everyone on the staff becomes family and although they aren’t always great English linguists, they are without doubt very enthusiastic to take care of guests.

It’s a shame that Thai food caused you some gastric challenges, because it’s so delicious it can be hard to resist even when it doesn’t suit your individual digestive system. Because we are on the coast in the tropics it’s true that some mosquitoes are to be expected. We do not use highly toxic chemical sprays, we prefer to use more gentle and environmentally friendly solutions, which are not as effective, but definitely a lot healthier for our guests.

I’m glad you enjoyed yourself enough to write that you will return, we’ll look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards,
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

If you are staying on Phuket Island this resort is in a quiet beach area. We loved the fact that there were not tonnes of people walking past our rooms beach front sliding doors and patio. We felt like we had the beach and view to ourselves when we were in our room, amazing. The pool and restaurant are also right on the beach and very pretty. I chose this resort based on reviews and price. We booked the Deluxe King Room, garden view. I was really excited when I received the e-mail telling me that we were in the new building. What a disappointment to find out that our DELUXE room had no windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were shown two other rooms after my husband refused to stay in that room. In the end we decided that we would take a beachfront room as it had glass sliding doors and a patio. HOWEVER we paid twice the price for this room. In other hotels/resorts when we have requested garden view rooms, they have come complete with windows and often a patio!!!!!!!! This did start our 4 night get away here off on the wrong foot. However I have one other issue with this resort and it was the food. It was very basic food. We found all across Malaysia and Thailand that the food was amazing ...... we ate everywhere from the street venders on up to proper restaurants... this resort was the exception to the rule. In conversation with other guests staying at the resort we were told that they found the food to be less than mediocre. Too bad as the location of the restaurant was amazing. After two breakfasts there I opted for just a fruit plate on the last day. The first morning there I ordered a Latte with breakfast and was surprised that I was charged extra for this (included at all the other hotels we stayed at) The coffee was not worth drinking. So didn't drink anymore coffee there during our stay. There is a coffee shop up the hill on the main road that has amazing coffee so if you are staying at Friendship Beach and you like a good cup of coffee go here, Hock HoeLee.

Room Tip: When you are booking your room ask for a room with windows. Don't take it for granted that all...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
By far this is a resort with the lowest waterfront rates. We want to keep our rates low and the atmosphere informal - not chrome-like and unfriendly. The room you were originally booked into had large windows and door opening onto a small patio with an outside shower and plantings. As with most hotels, there were no side windows as rooms were on either side. As to the cuisine, we have both an American chef and an experienced Thai chef with over 700 items on the menu with many unique items including a fresh juice bar and vegetarian menu. Yes, we can do better and we thank you for your comments.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stopped next door at the Vijitt resort which was a little overpriced. We walked onto the friendship beach numerous times and were welcomed with open arms each time. The food was luvly epically the club sandwich and nacho's. It was quite a lot cheaper than the Vijitt resort for food and drink but was just as nice. The only thing was the location. Although we were staying just on the beach to get there by road you need a scooter or some form of transport. Having said that we would defo go back and thank you for making us feel welcome

• Stayed January 2012
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you for your comments. The other resort you mentioned is high-end and formal. We have a much more relaxed and comfortable approach and want to keep it that way. Our rooms are very nice and about one-third the price of other waterfront resorts. Our location, by design, is away from shipping and frantic activities albeit only 10 minutes away. It is nice that you stayed with us and we look forward to your return.
Best regards,
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

This hotel is located on the beach of Rawai, a quiet town near the Phuket town. There are several little islands in front of hotels so the views are fantastic although people don't swim.. ( I don't know why). Nobody on the beach, only for the kite surfing people. The restaurant food is so-so. The staffs are very friendly. There are many people for the detox programs ( $500 for the couple/day) and they attend for 3/7/10 days courses. You can't walk to anywhere so you need a car or a scooter. We stayed there for 2 nights so just have been at the pool and the restaurant. We stayed at the old side room and did not like the " Bali style" bath because we were worried about the mosquito all the time every time we open/shut the door. I am not sure if I go back this hotel again but the location can't be beat.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for posting your review and for so accurately describing our beautiful waterfront location. Most of our clients come here to relax by the beach and to do very little, so the fact that we are away from the main tourist areas with their noise and neon is frequently regarded as a benefit.

The Atmanjai Wellness Center is a major attraction as you correctly note, and these guests spend most of their day engaged in their programs which means the resort pool and beach are not overpopulated.

I appreciate you giving our staff a wonderful compliment, they are truly examples of Thai hospitality.

Best regards,
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I was supposed to stay here 4 nights with my friends who were there for detox but left after 1 night. It might be that this place is nice if you go there for detox but otherwise, don`t bother! The beach is NOT like pictured, a bit dirty and very small. The water is not clean like in most other parts I ve been in Thailand. The rooms are average and overpriced, the restaurant has good food but VERY overpriced! I had lunch for the same amount as the 3 of us had lunch in Phi Phi island!! The area around the hotel is not very nice and there`s not much to do nearby the hotel. I also found the staff quite rude, seemed like they only cared about the people who (spent a fortune on) detox there. They even managed to throw me out of the room at 0830 because they needed to do the gastric lavage of my friend IN THE ROOM WE SHARED!! Worst experience I had in Thailand...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I’d like to clarify a few points you have raised:

1. The beach is not misrepresented, it is of course photographed in its best light. Unfortunately sometimes litter does wash up on the beach, that is why we have staff check the beach daily and clean any plastic bottles or other rubbish that has washed up.

2. We guarantee the LOWEST rates for waterfront resort accommodation in Phuket. This is a popular island to visit, over 5 million visitors a year do visit and understand that to stay on the waterfront in peak season is going to be more expensive than in many other locations.

3. I’m delighted you enjoyed the food in our restaurant. To consistently deliver good quality food in a beachfront restaurant has obvious costs that need to be met. If you visited the resorts to our north and south on the beach, you would have found their restaurant prices measurably higher than ours. We believe that our food is delicious as you have noted, and it also represents excellent value.

4. I’m sorry you feel our staff were rude, I think every other review we have speaks highly of our staff and how they relate to guests. Sometimes if someone feels they are having an unsatisfactory experience it can affect how they view things. I respectfully suggest this might be the case of your experience.

5. There was a clear miscommunication between you and your friend regarding the treatment she was offered in her room. When you spoke with the manager of the Wellness Program he clarified to you that your friend agreed to this arrangement and was receiving a complimentary upgrade on her wellness program by doing so. You also neglect to mention that he offered to make other arrangements for your friend within the next 30 minutes so that you would not be disturbed.

6. The privacy afforded by not being near all the tourist traps and crazy nightlife scene is one of the reasons many of our guests return year after year.

I’m disappointed that you didn’t get to enjoy the same experience as the overwhelming majority of our guests. I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and that you will return to the pleasures of Thailand again.

Regards,
STARR

Been to Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre? Share your experiences!