“Jacuzzi Suite - nice but a few quibbles” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre

You added Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre to your Saves list
Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   27/1 Soi Mittrapap | Friendship Beach, Rawai, Phuket Town, Phuket 83130, Thailand (Formerly Friendship Beach Resort & Spa by iCheck Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Rawai
Perth
“Jacuzzi Suite - nice but a few quibbles”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Decided to pamper ourselves with a 4 night stay in the Jacuzzi suite.

The hotel is situated in the quiet part of the island, away from all the noise and bustle of Patong and Karon beaches (no constantly pestering locals for tuk tuks or tailors).

The room was clean, and the hotel staff friendly, with the reception staff speaking reasonable english, and other staff adequate english to get your meaning across.

The location was fantastic, our room literally on the beach, however the water isn't quite as clear as the western side of the island.

We stayed in room 40, which is right next to the pool, and the front porch opens to the beach. Being close to the pool, we found that it was a bit noisy in the morning with people going past or staff working in the grounds.

My biggest gripe is that the bathroom is outdoors in an enclosed courtyard attached to the room. While it was a novelty at first, privacy was compremised. If, like me, you indulge in a few of the local delacacies, your toilet visit may be a bit embarrasing... as it is open air and right next to the massage pagola. Oh, and brace yourself for some mosquitoes in the courtyard too.

All in all, an enjoyable stay. While I would definitely return to the resort, i wouldnt stay in the jacuzzi suite.

Room Tip: Not the Jacuzzi room!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for your review and for enjoying your stay.

I really appreciate that you acknowledge our staff, as a “family run” resort, everyone on the staff becomes family and although they aren’t always great English linguists, they are without doubt very enthusiastic to take care of guests.

It’s a shame that Thai food caused you some gastric challenges, because it’s so delicious it can be hard to resist even when it doesn’t suit your individual digestive system. Because we are on the coast in the tropics it’s true that some mosquitoes are to be expected. We do not use highly toxic chemical sprays, we prefer to use more gentle and environmentally friendly solutions, which are not as effective, but definitely a lot healthier for our guests.

I’m glad you enjoyed yourself enough to write that you will return, we’ll look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards,
STARR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

If you are staying on Phuket Island this resort is in a quiet beach area. We loved the fact that there were not tonnes of people walking past our rooms beach front sliding doors and patio. We felt like we had the beach and view to ourselves when we were in our room, amazing. The pool and restaurant are also right on the beach and very pretty. I chose this resort based on reviews and price. We booked the Deluxe King Room, garden view. I was really excited when I received the e-mail telling me that we were in the new building. What a disappointment to find out that our DELUXE room had no windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were shown two other rooms after my husband refused to stay in that room. In the end we decided that we would take a beachfront room as it had glass sliding doors and a patio. HOWEVER we paid twice the price for this room. In other hotels/resorts when we have requested garden view rooms, they have come complete with windows and often a patio!!!!!!!! This did start our 4 night get away here off on the wrong foot. However I have one other issue with this resort and it was the food. It was very basic food. We found all across Malaysia and Thailand that the food was amazing ...... we ate everywhere from the street venders on up to proper restaurants... this resort was the exception to the rule. In conversation with other guests staying at the resort we were told that they found the food to be less than mediocre. Too bad as the location of the restaurant was amazing. After two breakfasts there I opted for just a fruit plate on the last day. The first morning there I ordered a Latte with breakfast and was surprised that I was charged extra for this (included at all the other hotels we stayed at) The coffee was not worth drinking. So didn't drink anymore coffee there during our stay. There is a coffee shop up the hill on the main road that has amazing coffee so if you are staying at Friendship Beach and you like a good cup of coffee go here, Hock HoeLee.

Room Tip: When you are booking your room ask for a room with windows. Don't take it for granted that all...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
By far this is a resort with the lowest waterfront rates. We want to keep our rates low and the atmosphere informal - not chrome-like and unfriendly. The room you were originally booked into had large windows and door opening onto a small patio with an outside shower and plantings. As with most hotels, there were no side windows as rooms were on either side. As to the cuisine, we have both an American chef and an experienced Thai chef with over 700 items on the menu with many unique items including a fresh juice bar and vegetarian menu. Yes, we can do better and we thank you for your comments.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stopped next door at the Vijitt resort which was a little overpriced. We walked onto the friendship beach numerous times and were welcomed with open arms each time. The food was luvly epically the club sandwich and nacho's. It was quite a lot cheaper than the Vijitt resort for food and drink but was just as nice. The only thing was the location. Although we were staying just on the beach to get there by road you need a scooter or some form of transport. Having said that we would defo go back and thank you for making us feel welcome

• Stayed January 2012
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you for your comments. The other resort you mentioned is high-end and formal. We have a much more relaxed and comfortable approach and want to keep it that way. Our rooms are very nice and about one-third the price of other waterfront resorts. Our location, by design, is away from shipping and frantic activities albeit only 10 minutes away. It is nice that you stayed with us and we look forward to your return.
Best regards,
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

This hotel is located on the beach of Rawai, a quiet town near the Phuket town. There are several little islands in front of hotels so the views are fantastic although people don't swim.. ( I don't know why). Nobody on the beach, only for the kite surfing people. The restaurant food is so-so. The staffs are very friendly. There are many people for the detox programs ( $500 for the couple/day) and they attend for 3/7/10 days courses. You can't walk to anywhere so you need a car or a scooter. We stayed there for 2 nights so just have been at the pool and the restaurant. We stayed at the old side room and did not like the " Bali style" bath because we were worried about the mosquito all the time every time we open/shut the door. I am not sure if I go back this hotel again but the location can't be beat.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for posting your review and for so accurately describing our beautiful waterfront location. Most of our clients come here to relax by the beach and to do very little, so the fact that we are away from the main tourist areas with their noise and neon is frequently regarded as a benefit.

The Atmanjai Wellness Center is a major attraction as you correctly note, and these guests spend most of their day engaged in their programs which means the resort pool and beach are not overpopulated.

I appreciate you giving our staff a wonderful compliment, they are truly examples of Thai hospitality.

Best regards,
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I was supposed to stay here 4 nights with my friends who were there for detox but left after 1 night. It might be that this place is nice if you go there for detox but otherwise, don`t bother! The beach is NOT like pictured, a bit dirty and very small. The water is not clean like in most other parts I ve been in Thailand. The rooms are average and overpriced, the restaurant has good food but VERY overpriced! I had lunch for the same amount as the 3 of us had lunch in Phi Phi island!! The area around the hotel is not very nice and there`s not much to do nearby the hotel. I also found the staff quite rude, seemed like they only cared about the people who (spent a fortune on) detox there. They even managed to throw me out of the room at 0830 because they needed to do the gastric lavage of my friend IN THE ROOM WE SHARED!! Worst experience I had in Thailand...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I’d like to clarify a few points you have raised:

1. The beach is not misrepresented, it is of course photographed in its best light. Unfortunately sometimes litter does wash up on the beach, that is why we have staff check the beach daily and clean any plastic bottles or other rubbish that has washed up.

2. We guarantee the LOWEST rates for waterfront resort accommodation in Phuket. This is a popular island to visit, over 5 million visitors a year do visit and understand that to stay on the waterfront in peak season is going to be more expensive than in many other locations.

3. I’m delighted you enjoyed the food in our restaurant. To consistently deliver good quality food in a beachfront restaurant has obvious costs that need to be met. If you visited the resorts to our north and south on the beach, you would have found their restaurant prices measurably higher than ours. We believe that our food is delicious as you have noted, and it also represents excellent value.

4. I’m sorry you feel our staff were rude, I think every other review we have speaks highly of our staff and how they relate to guests. Sometimes if someone feels they are having an unsatisfactory experience it can affect how they view things. I respectfully suggest this might be the case of your experience.

5. There was a clear miscommunication between you and your friend regarding the treatment she was offered in her room. When you spoke with the manager of the Wellness Program he clarified to you that your friend agreed to this arrangement and was receiving a complimentary upgrade on her wellness program by doing so. You also neglect to mention that he offered to make other arrangements for your friend within the next 30 minutes so that you would not be disturbed.

6. The privacy afforded by not being near all the tourist traps and crazy nightlife scene is one of the reasons many of our guests return year after year.

I’m disappointed that you didn’t get to enjoy the same experience as the overwhelming majority of our guests. I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and that you will return to the pleasures of Thailand again.

Regards,
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed at Friendship Beach for three days and two nights, we only wish we could have stayed much longer. Our room was spotless and spacious. We had a patio and a large sitting area, perfect for our baby to play around in. The bathroom was large and the bed was quite comfortable. The room was beautifully decorated and this proved valuable when I came down with a virus and was bed-ridden for 24 hours. I was very comfortable and able to get the rest I needed. The pictures on tripadvisor don't do the place justice. They have remodeled the pool area and there is very lovely, very comfortable rattan, cushioned furniture, no more plastic! We spent most of our time hanging around the pool area, which is just five steps up from the beach.
The food at the restaurant was fantastic and felt to be a good value. They even helped us prepare some steamed food for our child. The drinks were delicious as well.
The staff was very helpful and quite friendly. They made us feel at home and offered to bring us anything we could think of. Though there were a few families staying at Friendship Beach, it was very quiet and serene. It was a wonderful escape. I can't say enough good things about htis place or the people running it. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
You make our day! What wonderful things you have to say about us. We have more to do but really appreciate your comments; thank you very much. Running a resort, albeit only 30 rooms, takes a lot of TLC if you want to get it right. We try hard to maintain the ambiance and informality together with up-scale cuisine at reasonable prices and rooms with all the amenities. We look forward to your return.
Blessings to you,
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

There is nothing wrong with this hotel if you know what you are expecting. Its clean, staff are friendly and helpful. Atmosphere is v relaxed and the hotel is directly on the beach. However, the rooms are very basic and not luxurious, the bathrooms for a lot of rooms are outside so full of mosquitos. If you are looking for anything more than basic, this hotel will not be for you. The hotel is cheap, but you get what you pay for.

The location is not near many restaurants or shops so you will need to arrange transportation to get to other parts of the island.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you want a bathroom inside
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
SeasideResort, Owner at Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review our property, and for acknowledging the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff.

I’m glad that you recognize we are not the typical chrome, glass and soulless type of resort that seems to becoming the norm in many destinations.

Our clientele which is primarily business owners and executives frequently lavish praise on us for creating a property with a relaxed authentic atmosphere.

All rooms have air-conditioning, cable TV, DVD player and Bali style bathrooms. The garden style bathrooms are regularly sprayed with a natural repellant for insects. I apologize if you experienced mosquitoes; our staff will spray again today to ensure as best as possible that this issue is resolved.

Thanks for recognizing our great value; we do guarantee the lowest waterfront rates in Phuket.
Starr

Been to Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre? Share your experiences!