“Very sad...” 1 of 5 stars

Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
Adelaide, Australia
“Very sad...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

My partner and I visited this camp 2 weeks ago.. The staff were friendly enough, although elephants were chained up in the sun.. looked miserable. We then went on an elephant ride.. the whole time we felt like we were going to fall off.. (we have both done elephant riding before and this was not a normal feeling).. we both said that there was nothing romantic or peaceful about it. The elephants are forced to continuously go up steep hills.. it was a very hot day that we were there and elephant was refusing to up the hill so the lady started hitting it on the skull with the metal prod. We demanded that she took us back to the start so that we could get off.

Terrible experience.. Would never do elephant riding again in Thailand.. ears were also very ripped (traditional way of controlling them by inflicting pain)

Visited April 2014

• Polish first
wellington, NZ
4 attraction reviews
“Not a pretty site!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We had the elephant trek/monkey show as a free package from our hotel. We wish we hadn't bothered!
The elephants are chained up until they are required for there trek, they have sores and cuts from the chains. The baby elephant is chained up on a foot, if that of chain and already looks stir crazy. The trek takes you round there village which is 1 house and the rest of the area is like a refuse dump!
The guide on the elephants are very nice and friendly.
The monkey show is just despicable, 3 monkeys, all with chains around there next on a very tight leash doing mundane tricks in a petrified state, hated every minute of it.
I would advise to research your elephant trek when coming to phuket, avoid seaview!!

Apparently Siam elephant trek is very good, conservation area.

Newcastle NSW Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Rude and unejoyable ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

The staff treat you like rubbish, don't listen to your requests and are generally unhelpful - there are far better places to go trekking on the island - sea view maybe the cheapest but it's not worth your while.

Avoid.

Marysville, Washington
11 attraction reviews
“Not what we wanted”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had booked a driver/guide for our cruise port stopover in Feb 2014. Our driver failed to show up so we hired a driver and guide for the day from the multitudes that waiting in the port area. We told the driver we wanted to go to Kok Chang Safari. When our driver stopped at Sea View he said I am a local and I know the best place to ride an elephant. I'm sure he must have gotten a kickback. We should have insisted on not staying. We opted for the 45 minutes. I think it is exactly the same path that you take for 30 minutes only the elephant gets to stop and eat more to make up another 15 minutes. There was a nice view but it did go through a very poor Thai village that seemed part of the Sea View property. Our elephants seemed healthy and I didn't see them mistreated. There was a baby in front that was on a very short chain. We fed him bananas. My husband and I both wished we had insisted on going to Kok Chang Safari and not giving in to our guide.

Visited February 2014
Moranbah
13 attraction reviews
“Not for Animal Lovers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We went to Sea View Elephant trekking/Monkey show/Cobra Show and left thoroughly disgusted that we even went.As an animal lover I strongly suggest no-one goes to this particular place if visiting Phuket. It's disgustingly filthy, they chain up the monkeys and they tease the snakes, I found the monkey handler particularly disturbing and if I didn't take photos he made the monkey perform over and over till I did, we left very disturbed and this Tour was free with our room package. I agree with all the other bad reports on here and just wanted to let all the animals go free. Disgusting place.

Visited March 2014