“Pleasant stay at Sun Hill Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Hill Hotel

You added Sun Hill Hotel to your Saves list
Sun Hill Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   245/2 Nanai Road, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #31 of 278 Hotels in Patong
“Pleasant stay at Sun Hill Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My wife an I spent 9 days in Phuket for our honeymoon. Out of the 9 days we spent 7 days at Sun Hill Hotel. The first 2 nights were spent at the Senses Resort about 10 mins walk down the road from Sun Hill which was great but I wanted something that was easy on the pockets for our long stay without compromising on quality. I booked the hotel through agoda.com at a very affordable rate for 2 nights and decided to see how it goes from there. The service at the reception was great and i was offered the same rate if I would decide to extend my stay. We stayed in a room on the 1st floor in the building opposite the reception. The room has a view of the small private pool at the back which was not so impressive. The cleanliness was acceptable and the rooms were well maintained. They provide laundry service to guests. We did not get a chance to dine at the restaurant since we were always in the main city areas for lunch and dinner time. The reception was kind enough to arrange a scooter for us to rent so we can be mobile on the island and a day tour by car was also arranged by the reception at a reasonable price. You will need to spend on taxi or rent a bike if you prefer not to walk the 20 mins in to the city, it got tiring for us after the first 2 times so we rented a scooter for 4 days. Since we were happy with our room we decided to extend our stay for another 3 nights. All in all it was an affordable and pleasant experience at Sun Hill Hotel and would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I visited phuket and stayed at sunhill for 5 days with my wife. I asked them to pick me up at the airport but had to wait for half an hour looking here and there but there was no one. I called them two three times until finally that guy came from somewhere.

It was difficult to make them understand English or communicate with them. I booked a phi phi island tour through them, we tried to negotiate but the front desk girl told that 1800 bhat was the lowest price and below that she will need to pay from her pocket. The trip was pathetic but that of course had nothing to do with the hotel as it was another company's trip. Incidentally on that tour I found out that every one else had paid 1200 bhat for that trip (I was sitting on front seat of the van and the driver picked people from different hotels and placed there payment slips on my side seat where I saw it). Anyways I came back and while getting my keys mentioned to the the front desk that the trip was poor and also mentioned that all other people had paid 1200 bhat. We did not ask for any refund or anything it was just as part of the the story that the trip was bad for which we knew that the hotel was not responsible. But the hotel management reacted very bad to it. I read a review on trip advisor about someone writing that the manager who has room just behind the front desk is arrogant and needs to learn some customer service ethics. I totally agree now. He needs to learn basic manner of conversation. He started making fun that you sit on an aeroplane and you dont ask fellow passengers 'how much did you pay for the seat'

I felt very bad but this was not the end.

The mini bar in the room, they cost you 3 to 4 times more than the price of the drink at 7 Eleven. The first day that I came I bought drinks and water bottles from 7 Eleven and placed them in my refrigerator. I told that to the front desk but later found out that they were charging me for all empty bottles found in my room!!! not even counting that the drinks that they have placed are present there and they did not replace any. When I explained that to them. That was the end of sunhill's hospitality.

After that the hotel's response to everything that we asked was a NO and they would just simply say NO we cant help you get it done yourself or from outside.

When I asked them why are behaving like that the manager started again "you have problems with every thing....you complain about everything"

Their breakfast was pretty ordinary compared to breakfasts that I had in my other 2 hotels in Thailand. It was just an egg and 2 pieces of toast with tea. 1 extra toast will cost 25 bhat.

The place is also a 20/25 mins walk from patong beach and the last part towards the hotel is a steep hike.

They gave us breakfast coupons for our entire stay on the first day. On the last day when we had to leave early, we thought we had a free breakfast (we had the coupon) but just when we were to leave the girl gave me a 100 bhat bill for breakfast !!! and it was enough and I did not want to talk to them on anything any more so I paid and left. I still have that free coupon for 9th Nov 2013 for which they charged me the bill.

I understand that it was a budget accommodation but their service was pathetic and they were non professional and arrogant. I will never think of coming back here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Southport, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I am checking out tomorrow after a pleasant six night stay. My room has a small kitchen which I think was a studio room. Had booked a deluxe room, so I was lucky also I had a balcony overlooking the street, not a problem in fact my room was above reception which gave me very strong free wifi. Managed the walk into town and back many times never having to use a tuk tuk. There is life along the street the hotel is situated in which was nice for a change in the evenings. I was happy they served breakfast from 8am as the high season has just started. Breakfast was included in my package and I had a choice of 6 set breakfast. Not a prob as I had eggs and bacon every day, well presented with toast and fresh fruit. I thought it was a very good price to pay, they could charge more but thankfully they don't.

Room Tip: The location was NOT a problem for me. There is a pool which I did not use.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor recommendations. This is an excellent hotel, and represents good value for money. A 15 minute walk to the buzz of Patong, but far enough away to get rest, and visit the rest of the island. Patong deserves its reputation as a party place, but for people wanting comfort, cleanliness and beauty - travel around the island. This hotel is well situated so that you aren't stuck in Patong. Good standard of accommodation, with appealing decor and impressive standards of cleanliness throughout. Reception is very helpful and genuine. Taxis arranged through the hotel are cheaper (Phuket is significantly more expensive than the rest of Thailand). Some advice: -Slightly larger portions for breakfast would be nice, especially for the fruit. - The entrance steps are VERY slippery when it rains! Maybe some non-slip mats? Thank you for a great stay :)

Room Tip: Most of the rooms do not have views, but some may have.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I rented a car for our stay in Phuket and even as a first timer driving in Phuket, without any GPS, i can vouch that it's not really that hard to locate this hotel as the roads around the island are basically manoeuvrable as it goes along either the beach side or the hill side, and this hotel is located in the former.Definitely a good choice of accommodation in Phuket

Pros:
i) Ample parking space
ii)Spacious room
iii)Clean
iv)Friendly staffs
v) Good wifi
vi) quiet location but stone's throw away from Patong beach
vii)have bike rentals
viii)Affordable rate
ix) Located near Tesco store and many eateries

Cons:
i) No breakfast buffet but limited option of either cereal or egg and bacon-coffee and tea

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I found it in a very convenient locations, since is only 10-15 walking far from Patong Beach main avenue, but avoids all the noise of the night life. Also, the hotel seems to be new, and the swimming pool was perfect for refreshing.
Improvements to be done: The safety box is located in the reception, so every time you want to take off or put inside a thing, you have to go there. Also, they charge you for using a PC located in the reception, is not expensive, but in most hotel this service is free. Finally, the breakfast is available from 9am, which is quite late if you want to go for a tour that departs early in the morning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed here after 3 nights and a dump with very poor atmosphere created by the owner and his drunk mates and was pleasantly surprised with this hotel.
Perfect rooms, well maintained hotel throughout and the staff were all of excellent quality. I hope the boss pays them well because they are what makes this a great hotel. I would have tipped enormously but funds did not permit on this trip.
Easy to get to location with a pleasant leafy district outlook a little away from the really busy areas and within walking distance of everything locally.
Do not hesitate and go and book - you'll be glad you did like I was for staying
stayed there.
Also, the rates were very reasonable, a bargain actually! This review is from me! a real traveller wanting to put it out there as it is.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sun Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!