“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Deevana Plaza Phuket

You added Deevana Plaza Phuket to your Saves list
Deevana Plaza Phuket
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   239-14 Raj U Thid 200 Pee Road | 239-14 ถนนราษฎร์อุทิศ 200 ปี, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand (Formerly Ramada Plaza Phuket Deevana)   |
Ranked #128 of 278 Hotels in Patong
Sydney, NSW, Australia
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Stayed here with friends in July 09. Check in was smooth, reception staff very helpful and accommodating. The rooms are good, we had twin rooms. Beds were very comfortable. Our rooms did not smell like some other reviewers so maybe we were lucky. We had a pool view room on the second floor which concerned me as I was worried about noise from the pool filtering into the room but once the balcony door was closed it was fine. The only thing with the pool view rooms is that people can see straight in and when you close the curtains the room is in total darkness. Had no problem with our airconditioning. Rooms were cleaned daily but I had a sneaking suspicion that the towels weren't replaced daily simply refolded and put back on the rack. The staff in general were very helpful and efficient. I had to contact housekeeping a couple of times for small items and an iron and they were all delivered to the room in a timely fashion.

The main pool is not as big as I would have hoped for a resort but the rooftop pool is great although there was some sort of chemical in the water that really stings the eyes. The best thing about the rooftop pool is that no one uses it. We were basically able to commandeer it for ourselves every time we went up there. Bar staff were good as well. Too many screaming kids with no adult supervision in the main pool and trying to get a seat at the swim up bar is pretty hard with all the kids there. Our fault for staying at a family hotel I suppose.

Hotel is walking distance to everything you need and want to see, 10 min to Jungceylon (Tip: they have a market on the lower ground floor that sells everything they do at OTOP and much cheaper and less spruiking). Have a drinks at some of the bars behind the OTOP Markets, it is great fun chatting with the girls. Say hello to the girls at the Koola Bar. Amy and the girls were great fun and one of the only bars in there that don't offer extras (wink wink), just cold beer. Parents would leave their kids there for the girls to entertain while they shopped.

Breakfast was pretty good, good variety and an egg station. They do pretty good poached eggs. Didn't eat at the hotel other than breakfast. Ate at Oasis just out the front which was good. A really good restaurant not far from the hotel is Song Pee Nong 2. Great food, deep fried chilli snapper is fantastic. Turn left after Cristin Massage (big purple building) and it is one of the little side streets.

Only gripe would be that on check out we were charged for using the room phone to make a call home that we thought was free because we had a toll free phone card (it was at the Hotels in Bangkok and Chiang Mai) but got charged 50B per call. When we queried it we were told that it is not the hotels charge but the Phuket phone company charge, luckily we only made a few calls.
Overall the Mercure Patong is a nice hotel. I would probably not stay there again but would recommend it to people with families definitely.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

This was the second time we stayed at this hotel and both times exceeded our expectations. The hotel is still quite new, well attended to, the staff are exceptionally attentive and courteous and the hotel has a very nice pool. The rooms are clean and modern and excellent value for money. The hotel is located a little out of town at the southern end of Patong beach one street back from the beach and is about a 15min walk to Bangla Rd. There are plenty of amenities close to the hotel however, like shops, massage, and restaurants.
The only slight annoyance was that the hallways are tiled which accentuates noise in the rooms at times when you might want to be sleeping.
I would nonetheless highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

The Mercure Patong Phuket is aesthetically very attractive, simple decor, great pool. However, the beds were as hard as rocks, so my boyfriend and I spent the nights tossing and turning and woke with aching backs and hips. Additionally, the rooms had a very musty smell to them that did not go away with constant air conditioning (we left a room key in the room so that the air conditioner would stay on even when we were out).

The location was fine. It's close enough to the beach and to the Jungcelon. I found it strange that the staff wouldn't call a taxi or tuk tuk for us even in the pouring rain so we had to walk down to the curb to hail our own (overpriced) cab. That being said, I liked being away from the center of things as I found the Patong atmosphere with the creepy Western men with their teenaged Thai "girlfriends" rather unpalatable.

This place also was guilty of nickel and diming. Internet access was 800B/day, more than even the most expensive hotels in the US. They charged me extra on top of my room fee to use my credit card to pay (this I have never seen in a major hotel branch), and again, to hail a cab to the airport, they would charge me 950B when I could walk down to the curb and get a cab to the airport for 500B.

After this experience, I don't think I'll be staying at an Accor group hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

The reception area and staff at this hotel are very professional and efficient. We stayed on the 5th (M) floor in one of the Deluxe suites and were very impressed with the decor and cleanliness. Tea hour is served once a day for the rooms on this floor, but we were never in during the afternoon, but returned to find a tray of tea and assorted biscuits/cake in our room- very nice touch. However, once the incense from the in-room burners died down, the smell from the washroom was very bad. We did bring this to the attention of the front-desk staff, who then just brought more incense into the room and said they were having plumbing/irrigation problems. So the stench lingered for all 4 days of our stay, but luckily we spent most of our time out and about, so it wasnt TOO bad. The cleaning staff are also very attentive and our room was replaced with new towels at least 4 times a day.

On to the amenities of the hotel. The pool is gorgeous and well maintained. The Venus spa is also very top-notch in terms of professionalism and sanitation. It was certainly pricier than the spas along the street nearby, but the ambiance and quality is incomparable. As for the restaurant (breakfast and dinner), we found the food very poor. Despite the many choices available for both the breakfast and dinner menus, I am sorry to say almost nothing was up to par for a hotel of that standard. The "hot" food was almost always cold and sat lonely on the serving plates... The World Cafe was usually empty when we were there. Overall, there is much better (thai and western) food nearby. On a brighter note, the happy-hours were great (3 of them throughout the day), especially the chi-chis that are served in the Pool Bar early in the evenings. Nice for winding up after a day of PhiPhi Island.

Lastly, location-wise, the hotel is great if you don't mind walking the 7 minutes down to Patong beach. We loved the location as it was away from the commotion of the beach at night and was very close too everything still. Overall, a great stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

I checked into The Mercure Patong for two nights in early June 2009. I was sharing a double room with my brother. Neither of us felt too good so we were looking forward to resting. The room was so humid that the air-conditioning didn't seem to have been cut on in several days and even the bed felt moist. Not to mention that the room was incredibly small, with maybe a 22 inch tv, and the tiny twin beds were way too firm for my liking.
After about 30 minutes I decided to call to complain about the A/C not working well and requested moving to another room. They sent someone to adjust the A/C and I told them if it doesn't start working in another 30 minutes we would like to move to another room. I also told them to go ahead and cut on the A/C in that room so it would be cooled down when we moved.
After another 45 minutes it still never cooled down and I called the Holiday Inn and decided to check out another room there (on foot a five minute walk). I stayed at the Holiday Inn in 2001 before the Tsunami and they had totally redone the rooms. Not to mention the beds were bigger and far more confortable that The Mercure for the same price (around 2,900 baht).
I walked back up to the room and it never cooled down (like a steam bath without the steam). You should have seen the look when I decided to check out. I moved to The Holiday Inn Patong which was the smartest thing I did in Phuket. I would definitely recommend not getting a pool view room at The Mercure Phuket because that may be contributing to the humidity that has invaded this hotel. It is unfortunate because I am a fan of the Accor chain.

Pro's: New, Big Pool, close to Bangla Rd.

Cons: Bad A/C, tiny 20-inch tv, small twin beds (way too firm), incredibly small rooms, a 10 minute walk to the beach.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I managed to book 3 nights at the Mercure via the internet about 10 hours ahead of checking in which was a fantastic start to begin with.

The hotel was not along the beach but was about 3 minutes walk away. It did not really matter as the facilities in the hotel were absolutely fantastic.

The staff at the check in counter were extremely helpful and friendly and we were immediately given a welcome drink upon arrival. Our rooms were ready and keys were given within minutes.

Our 2 kids aged 7 and 3 were delighted to see that they had separate bunker beds and this was located in a tastefully decorated kiddie corner in the room.

Access to anywhere was walking distance.

The hotel swimming pool was just amazing.

This is definitely a hotel we would stay in should we go to Patong Beach in future.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Stayed there for 6 nights June 2009, most of the rooms are pool view room, room comfortable and tidy, most staff have little grasp of English but far better than my Thai. Breakfast was interesting, If you are a bacon lover then you will not find any on view I heard comments from other people who were disappointed that there was none, which is not correct but if you wanted bacon you had to ask for it, no sign so many did not know it was available, generally slow at topping up the other dishes. They have a seafood dinner on Fridays on the roof top but be warning get there early as they have the seafood laid out on ice in a boat but they did not top up the lobster once the initial lot had gone, at 799 Blt plus 10% not a good value meal if you arrived later. First hotel I have stayed at that charges for ice. It may be because it is low season but they seemed to be trying to save on topping up food but it was counter productive as people just went out to the many other restaurants and eating places. Great swimming pool.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Deevana Plaza Phuket? Share your experiences!