“Not for singles” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Deevana Plaza Phuket Patong

You added Deevana Plaza Phuket Patong to your Saves list
Deevana Plaza Phuket Patong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   239-14 Raj U Thid 200 Pee Road, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand (Formerly Ramada Plaza Phuket Deevana)   |
Ranked #77 of 284 Hotels in Patong
kolmpton
“Not for singles”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

This is a very nice hotel... a bit expensive... so you get what you pay for.
too many rooms, even though small, very modern design....
feels like a middle income group apartment complex at times.

The swimming pool and adjoining bar is very nicely designed...even though it can get crowded and noisy at times.

Bummer Alert: This hotel is definitely not for single guys... they charged me a joiner fee (1500 baht) when a friend wanted to join me for the night, even though I had reserved and paid for 2 people.
Staff was very inflexible, and I didnt want to argue too long about it in the middle of the night.

Overall, I think this is a good place for families who don't mind spending a little extra for comfort and are okay with being 10 mins walk from the beach and 20 mins from bangla road...shopping only 5 mins walk away.

• Liked — small but nice rooms
  • Disliked — 1500 baht joiner fee for 2nd person, even though room was booked for and paid for 2 people
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Stayed here with my girlfriend from 8-13 December. Online booking through the Accor website and check-in went smoothly. First impressions were good.

The room still had that “new” feel to it and was quite stylishly finished. There were signs that the building was hastily completed eg. floor tiles not quite lining up, bath wasn’t square etc. but I guess that’s to be expected with so much construction work taking place in the area. A wide range of television channels were available, including live English premier league games for those that like football. Everything in the bathroom worked well with good water pressure etc. As with other reviews, a room overlooking the pool is a must.

We didn’t try any of the food from the hotel and the breakfast seemed overpriced considering what you can get by just walking across the street to a restaurant. We quite often brought food back to eat from street vendors and they didn’t seem to have a problem with this. The balconies have a table and chair and was a greet place to relax and eat.

The pool was very nice and clean and there always seemed to be deck chairs available. For much of the day some of the deck chairs were in shade which was nice when it got too hot. The swim-up bar had a good range of drinks and was not overpriced. The rooftop pool area didn’t seem to be completely finished but was nice in the evening. I never had a problem with mosquitos despite the surrounding areas.

The hotel is away from the busiest area of Patong and just a 5 minute walk to the beach and even less from the markets with a convenience store out the front. The hotel is also in handy location to travel further down the coast to Karon, Kata etc. which in my opinion are nicer beaches. Some of the staff had poor English and seemed a bit clueless. This wasn’t a problem for us but may be a problem if your English also isn’t very good. I guess this will get better over time.

Overall we had a wonderful stay and I wish we stayed longer. I would recommend anyone to stay here, particularly while the hotel is still new.

• Liked — Hotel is still new and very clean, nice pool
  • Disliked — Staff need a bit more training
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
K.Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

Mercure Patong Phuket is nice and new hotel, hotel room just nice, majority room are pool view, the swimming pool was nice n clean, the pool sidebar services was good too! The BBQ dinner(especialist on every Fridays) on the roof top, with a nice price n yamee......seafood all are very fresh! beside the hotel do have a 24hours store. The beach only walk about 5-10minute. Hotel just nearby a night market too. On the 3rd floor of hotel do have a gym room. I will stay there again in the future trip!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Perth,Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

We stayed at the Mercure for Christmas 2007 and enjoyed our experience there. This is a new boutique style hotel and the room standard is very good with LCD tv's and a very well laid out bathroom. Most of the rooms overlook the pool which is excellent and the best feature of the resort.There is also a plunge pool on the roof terrace and several landscaped quiet areas away from any noise where you can relax with a book. Request a pool view when booking as some of the other rooms have ordinary views of buildings or brick walls. We had a request for a pool view and were given a room on the other side of the hotel but we were moved the following day overlooking the pool. For their first Christmas the hotel coped quite well with the Gala Dinner but some of the staff seemed to be having a difficult time with drink orders but this will get better with time. Breakfasts were above average and served in a lovely restaurant but Thai's seem to have a problem in being able to cook a sausage as none of them ever seem to have any colour, in fact the ones you can buy from a street vender always look much better.
One funny experience we did have was a total alcohol ban throughout Phuket because there was an election being held. Yes, I did say ELECTION. The lady in the lobby bar said (with a smile) that we could have vodka with lemonade, obviously because it looked like water. Very odd seeing people sitting in bars drinking Softdrinks. I would totally recommend staying at this hotel.

• Liked — Pool area, New Hotel
  • Disliked — Sausages (same throughout Thailand)
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2007

Location: Nice new hotel near the Holiday Inn. Seems to be on the slightly quieter side of town. There is a nasty looking river directly behind the hotel. I could not tell if it smelled or not so that was good. There was a lot of construction going on next to the hotel (right next to our room) but we were not in the room during the day and left early the next morning, so I do not know how much of a problem this would be for the typical guest. It seems like they have a good reputation. Our van driver did not want to drive us directly to the hotel because of the maneuvering he would have to do to get back out of the area, but once he realized where we were staying he wanted to drive right up. I think this hotel is in a nice spot if you are planning to stay in Patong. I think we paid just less than $100/night USD with tax and everything, so it was not a bad price to pay for a later booking at this hotel.

Room: Oddly lacking in attention to details. It seemed as though they may have rushed toward the end of construction especially in the bathroom (see shower photo). It is hard to believe the shower would look like this when the hotel literally just opened. The bed was slightly more comfortable than the hard Thai beds, but it was still pretty firm. We had absolutely no view…none…not even of the pool. We basically faced a white wall from the other building and there were some white rocks where a planter should have been. Pretty disappointing that they could have angled it differently to avoid this situation. It looks like 99% of the rooms have a pool view with just a few in these weird spots. The room was smaller than the other hotels we stayed in but they did provide nice robes…and slippers but they never fit. The bathtub looked very nice but neither of us used it. The automated wake-up call system had me nervous but we got a call so all was good. We had some suits dropped off at the hotel and it was nice that security walked the person to our room and escorted them out.

Pool: We only spend one night here to be closer to the airport on our return trip home so we did not use the pool. It looked very nice with a lot of loungers and some beds. They could really have some nice stuff in the rooftop pool area….dancing, etc. after the hotel gets more established.

Food: Breakfast is not included as it is with other hotels. We went and checked out the morning buffet but it seemed quite overpriced for what they were offering. The buffet seemed to have much of what is offered at may of the included hotel breakfast buffets, so we were not willing to pay the high price.

Just a Couple Problems: I was not impressed that they charged me for a phone call that never went through. I even explained that I dialed the number twice and it did not go through (as evidenced by the roughly 10 seconds recorded). Even when I explained the situation they looked like they had no idea what I was talking about and left the charge. Maybe I am wrong but I have never been charged for a call that did not connect. Also, watch out because there are these patches of tiles in the hotel that are extremely slippery. I almost fell a couple times because they are so slick. I cannot imagine how it would have been if they were wet after the rain.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Mercure for 11 nights in October 07, I know the hotel had just opened and I expected there to be a few teething problems and there were. First they took the payment for the room twice from my CC, Its two weeks since I checked out and they still haven't refunded me my balance, not an insignificant sum circa £200. The rooms are nice the bed comfortable the bathroom is lovely, separate bath and shower. There is a lack of furniture in the room; a comfy chair would have been nice rather than just the table and two dining chairs.
We ate by the pool one lunch and got raw burgers which they replaced, we ate in the restaurant and they omitted one of the dishes and due to the language barrier (I think I can speak Thai, they don't) they thought we'd had it. It got served to us 25 minutes after we'd finished every thing else, they'd cleared the table away and had to bring clean crockery with cutlery. We went down to the Happy hour bar in reception it took an age to get served, my wife had a glass of wine which wasn't a "happy hour" drink so that was a problem, I had Mojito's I was left standing for 15 minutes, they'd run out of rum but didn't tell me they just carried on serving everyone else, I called the manager over and he sorted it. When the bill came they'd charged us for a carafe of wine which I had to call the manager over again to sort out. I asked for a menu by the pool explaining that I wanted some ice cream, half an hour later a guy turned up with a plate of pink ice cream!! Oh well.
The pool towels are supplied in the room, good idea but impractical, the maid can't change them as invariably you're using them. We had to wait 30 minutes one morning for our towels to be changed, in the end I went to housekeeping to do it myself. The rooms include tea and coffee; they ran out of coffee and sugar I had to buy some from the Mini Mart next door. The bed turndown service is intermittent but when they do come they leave a nice orchid.
We booked airport transfers and they went without a hitch, I needed to sort some paperwork and the front desk staff were very helpful enabling me to scan and email home some documents.
The Hotel is a ten minute stroll to the beach and a 150 baht tuktuk ride to Soi Bangla, it’s next to the new markets which are also full of bars where the odd free BBQ is thrown in if you're drinking.
This Hotel has a long way to go to live up to its so called 4 stars, Just because it's new doesn't make it 4 star maybe 3 star. The Manager works very hard and I’m sure he'll eventually get it sorted but if you are staying there in the next six months be patient. We actually enjoyed our stay and this reads badly but it’s not that bad. If they charge you twice get you money refunded straight away. I'm sure they would be quicker to do it if you were there to put pressure on.

• Liked — Big Comfy bed
  • Disliked — no comfy chair
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Deevana Plaza Phuket Patong? Share your experiences!