“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Salathai Resort

You added Salathai Resort to your Saves list
Salathai Resort
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   10 / 4 Sawatdirak Rd., Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #17 of 338 Patong B&B and Inns
Fort St. John, BC
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I had planned to stay at the Salathai Resort in Patong. I booked my room 3 months in advance on the Salathai website and arranged for a car through their site to pick me up at the airport. They sent me a confirmation email and all was good, so I thought.

I had flown for almost 30 hours straight (between airport layovers and flights to come from Canada). When I arrived at Phuket Airport at midnight my car and driver were nowhere to be found. I finally rented a car and had them drive me to Salathai Resort. I presented my booking confirmation to the front desk (by this time it was 01:30 in the morning and I was exhausted). I got a blank stare and then the clerk made a bunch of phone calls and finally informed me that the resort was full and they had no record of my booking.

To their credit they found me another hotel for 2 nights until I could move back to their property. I did not move back to their property - with a track record like that I wasn't going to chance something else going wrong so I just stayed in the other (nicer hotel). I had read good things about Salathai on Trip Advisor before booking, but this is my vacation and I was not going to risk anymore problems.

I am sure this is a fine property - but I will not stay here in the future - something as easy as taking a reservation and having it entered in their database should not leave a lot of room or error, but somehow they messed it up.

My advice for future guests to this property is to double or triple check your reservation before you arrive so that you are not let down as I was.

Buyer beware. It is not much fun to be stranded in the airport in the middle of the night at the mercy of the over-priced taxis at that time of the night only to find you don't have a room when you arrive.

Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Find a room that is not already rented to someone else!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bateau Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We have been to Patong every year for the past 7 years. The only issue was that it took us 5 years to find this hotel. The rooms sit around a leafy pool area away from the street and makes you feel like you could be anywhere. It is also small so it is easy to get time around the pool. Walk out the door and you are 100m from the beach and 5 min walk to Bangla road although you wouldn't know it in your room.

Deluxe rooms sit along the pool and mean you walk out and take 4 steps and you are in the pool. In down time (may to October) these are about $50 a night on many hotel sites. Superior rooms are up 1 or 2 flights of stairs but then again your in patong - who spends any time in their room???

The pool service menu (food) is beautiful and prices are low (cocktails 150 baht beers 80 baht). Breakfast is in a lovely outdoor area and supplies the basics (love my omelette and chicken sausages with fried rice).

The staff are just amazing. Lead by Sunny (who is fantastic) they work tirelessly to be polite and accommodating for all reasonable requests (I have witnessed some very unreasonable and rude guests!!)

The rooms are reasonable but important to keep in perspective - no they not like at the holiday Inn but your paying $50 a night (Deluxe Low season and $120 in high) 100m from beach and 5 min from Bangla road...... so keep it realistic. We do not spend a great deal of time in our room so as long as the toilet, shower and bed are clean we are happy - and they are!! The rooms are basic but practical.

Overall this hotel is a GEM in Patong for the traveller who would rather spend money on their holiday rather than on a room they are hardly in. Everything about this place is easy and comfortable. - Actually perhaps I shouldnt be so glowing as increased popularity might make it harder for me to book in here when we come over :)

Room Tip: Deluxe near the pool definitely worth it if you are a pool person.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

First time to this hotel and I cannot recommend it more. Loved the place. Very understated and simple with great rooms which are very clean and functional. The staff are amazing and nothing is a problem.

Fantastic free WIFI all over the resort, making keeping in touch a breeze. I thought the food was excellent (loved the complimentary mini bar) and overall it was a very relaxing and enjoyable 4 nights.

The location is fantastic, 100 meters to Patong Beach and far enough away from Bangla Road to be out of there chaos if you needed to be.

I will be back with the family next time soon.

Room Tip: Deluxe room on the ground floor is the best option
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
NW England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We have stayed at the Salathai many times now, first trip in 2004, and find it excellent every time. Staff are great, rooms are good, pool is fantastic and the restaurant is great too. It's not cheap the salathai, we were paying 2200baht a night, but with the service, facilities and location it's a great package all round.

Room Tip: The pool rooms are great, generally pretty quiet. I like the upstairs rooms away from the beach, the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Terrigal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed for 5 days and no complaints here, the location is perfect location. The rooms were clean - free mini bar. The staff were accommodating and friendly, breakfast was good, 2 minute walk from the beach. Noisy one night (band playing next door) but could live with that. Massages from the girls across the road from the Indian Restaurant were awesome. If you want a boutique hotel at a great price - this is it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel was great... rooms were very clean. The pool was beautiful and the conga smoothie drink (non alcoholic) was so refreshing and tasted great!! Meals were great value and very well presented. I loved my trip to Thailand and this hotel was excellent value and a little gem. I was recommended to stay here by a friend and it didn't dissappoint. The hotel is very close to the beach and there was no noise problems or anything like that. Its close to the shopping streets etc and there are so many good places to eat. The Beach nearby is very clean and there is so much to do and see in the area. Sunny the manager is so friendly as were the rest of the staff. Be warned you will definitely want to come back to this hotel!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good here... mine was on the second floor overlooking the pool but they al...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Patong, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't be happier with our choice. Staff are very friendly. Room was clean and spacious. Free mini bar was a bonus (soft drinks and water). Didn't use the pool but looked clean and inviting. Tour booking was quick and easy. Breakfast was great - the hot foods were different each day. Enjoyed a delicious evening meal in the restaurant and one room service meal. Both were of high quality. It's in a great location too....minutes to the beach, Bangla Rd and Jungceylon shopping centre. The street doesn't have the hustle and bustle like the main streets but still has everything you might need. Would highly recommend.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Salathai Resort? Share your experiences!