“A great place in a great location....there to enjoy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Expat Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Expat Hotel to your Saves list
The Expat Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   163 / 17 Rat-U-Thit 200 Pee Road, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #69 of 261 hotels in Patong
Yinnar, Australia
“A great place in a great location....there to enjoy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

I returned to the Expat after having a great time there 10 months ago,nothings changed the place is still a gem.Even with renovations going on in the resturant the meals are great served at the bar or pool.Service from all the staff is A1 from the reception, cleaning, bar and the security all friendly and helpful.Laundry and massage people on site make this the full package.Maybe not for families but singles and couples all seem to mingle well at this Hotel. Being close to Bangla rd. just makes it even better......

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Myself and 3 friends stayed at the expat for 10 days during August.

Summary of pros for staying at the expat:
- Fantastic location. Very close to Bangla road, yet far away enough so you dont hear the late night noise.
- Cheap as chips
- Staff EXTREMELY friendly and accommodating. Very attentitive to any problems you may have with rooms. Will quickly sort it out or provide a new room for your stay.
- In room safe or at reception security box available free of charge
- Great night security who helped us alot
- Hotel bar is very cheap, great service and weekly pool competitions.
- Fantastic swimming pool, always kept clean and surroundings were always spotless.
- Rooms, however average, are spacey and comfortable, and quickly cleaned each morning.

Summary of Cons:
- Few problems with bedroom eg. toilet leaking, taps not working consistently
They were all the problems we faced in the 4 rooms we stayed in for 10 days.

Other considerations:
- Couples looking for romantic getaway may want better views (there are none?)
- No lifts available for senior people. May have trouble getting up stairs
- No breakfast (although fantastic restaurants available across the road)
- Expat was going some very very minor rennovation during August (i.e repainting the exterior) the noise from this may annoy some people?

Would definitely be staying here again on my next visit to Phuket.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

hi my name is carmine, i stayed at the expat in april for 12days, first trip there and let me tell you it was awesome, staff absolutely friendly as can be, bar staff fantastic, food was great, location you cannot top it, rooms were great, cleanliness is prompt and great, security better than the land of oz. for guys this is the ultimate getaway. the pool is fantastic and the service you cannot dispute. place is so great that im already booking my next trip for next year. so without fail stay at the expat, you will not be disappointed for its service, availability, friendliness, location and price. im going back. cant wait....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010 via mobile

Great place lovely people can't do enough for you

• Stayed April 2010
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

G,day people,my name is Mark and I was staying at the XPAT for my 3rd time,this time I brought 3 friends with me,all 3 had never been out of OZ so they wanted to experince Phuket,and Patongs night life,they only stayed a week,which I told them once you have been there you wish you were staying for the 2 to 3 weeks I recomomed to them,sure enough at the end of the week they didnt want to leave.lucky for me I still had a week to go.Brett if you read this my mate he fell in love with one of the girls Pie who worked at the hotel,brett went back in May to see her good on ya Brett.
This was my 3rd time to the Xpat was there for Gims birthday (owner of hotels wife) that was a great night.
other staff you could not beat there hospitallity they were all friendly,Honey at the reception is all ways good fun to have a laugh with,and I have stayed at other hotels in Patong and they were not friendly,guess the smaller the hotel the better,the bar is a great place to meet people to,as before when I went to the Xpat it was closed good barman he is welsh or was it english hehe,but a nice guy.
As for the service I couldnt have asked for better I only ever had breakfast there bacon and eggs but was all ways a good feed,rooms were all ways clean the pool was cleaned out every day I was there.and also a good meeting point is the pool to,
yes there are Thai girls walking around but hey we are only human and this is the Xpat hotel,I also met a family when I was there in March and they also enjoyed there stay to.
As for me iam going back to the Xpat at the end of July for 3 weeks ,wish I was there now as Perth is very cold right now in winter,-3 last night,well Xpat will see all your friendly faces soon Regards Mark from Perth Western Australia.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Stayed here 3 - 18 June. To answer a few criticisms in earlier reviews - mostly from those several years old. "Pool was dirty and had insects" Pool was always spotlessly clean and clear. Serviced every morning. "Area around pool was overgrown and dirty". Always clean and NOT overgrown. "Ants and spiders in room". I saw one cockroach in two weeks - which in a tropical climate means the standard of hygiene is good. Mossies - yes, a few, but that's a part of Phuket - I only had to use repellant twice in two weeks.
All the positive comments in other reviews I fully agree with.
Finally - the test of a good hotel - and good management - is how well they look after a guest in adverse circumstances, when it is no advantage to them. A week into my trip I fell down two steps, and was effectively crippled. All my meals were served in my room. A member of staff looked in every couple of hours to see if I was OK or needed anything. They managed to hire a walking frame (Zimmer frame) the following day which gave me some mobility. After three days they found a crutch for me, which was even better. The staff were unfailingly helpful, friendly, and concerned, and Gim the owner's wife went out of her way to assist.
I shall be returning as soon as I can walk again! Thank you, everybody at Expat.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I've been staying at the Expat since late 2006 and have enjoyed many days there. The recent upgrade to the hotels bar is amazing and the staff continues to be very good. The service level is excellent with the management and staff's main concern being customer satisfaction.
My Thai wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stays. The hotel has an excellent pool with a massage and spa on site with a beauty salon and one of the best laundry services on the island attached to the property. The Friday evening 8-ball pool competition is always an excellent start to that evening which has led us to meet and become friends with many hotel guests from around the world!
We would like to thank Paul, Gim, Martin and Tan for taking such good care of us during every stay!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Expat Hotel? Share your experiences!