“Just Superb so relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Expat Hotel

You added The Expat Hotel to your Saves list
The Expat Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   163 / 17 Rat-U-Thit 200 Pee Road, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #82 of 285 Hotels in Patong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Phuket Town, Thailand
“Just Superb so relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

just go there and see for your self ! i have been to expat many times and will be going back again and again. every thing about the place is perfect for relaxing, near all the night life just could not be better the time of your life is assured

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

First stay here June 2010 - see my review for that date, "Bloody Marvellous". Been back four times since then, and booked again for Sept-Oct 2011. (and for March-May 2012.) Have read some of the other critical reviews - I can't believe they are talking about the same place. This hotel has everything you could need or ask for - but the thing which makes it stand out is the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. Thailand is known as the "Land of Smiles" - the people at this hotel personify that. Thank you all.
Criticisms - there have to be some, nothing is perfect - but I really have to rack my brains to think of any. The restaurant menu is the same now as it was a year ago - having now stayed there many times, I've tried everything on the menu, so frequently eat out. (Recommend "Da No. 1" 300 yards away on Rat-u-Thit road, opposite the main entrance to Royal Paradise hotel - good food, low(ish) price, good service.)
The beds are harder than I really like, but never stopped me getting a good nights sleep.
Rated this hotel "excellent" in June 2010. Would now rate it as "excellent plus" - if there is such a rating. Bravo, all at Expat!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I just stayed at this hotel. Since my last stay there about 6 years ago, the place has gone through considerable improvements. Rooms have received a major upgrade (new furniture, flat screen TV, in room safe (big enough for my iPad). Go all out and get the super deluxe room with balcony. These rooms are a bit larger and feature a porch outside your room where you can read a book, have a drink, etc. All the rooms are arranged in a U shape pattern around a small pool. Pool is well maintained and most of the guests take advantage of it. Hotel also features a nice restaurant which has also been expanded. It also has an Internet cafe and wireless access (not free). Although only two minutes away by foot from walking street, the location is very quiet. Staff is very charming and helpful. They will also arrange airport pickup if you wish. Very good value for money. I will definitely stay there again when I visit Patong beach.

• Stayed June 2011
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times and found it to be very good great staff friendly pool is ok if you are a single bloke looking to have some fun in Phuket this hotel may be the place for you the pool is a great way to meet people and talk about your holiday!!!!
The bar is also a way of mixing and hooking up with people to go out with at night time!!!!
Overall I think this hotel is very good I wouldn't recommend it to couples (and families) as a place to stay plenty of resorts to choose from on the island!!!!!
yes better hotels guesthouses can be found elsewhere but not to many with a pool and walking distance to bangla!!!!!
The rooms are ok not perfect cleaned everyday fresh linen and towels, if you have any problems the reception staff will try and fix for you (I didn't)
No major problems very good price not to expensive although it was low season and it wasn't to busy!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

After much reviewing of travel books and the internet I finally chose Expat Hotel and it turned out to be a good choice. Also, while I was there I did check out other possible hotels for future reference, and found that Expat Hotel has a number of advantages. I paid 1790 baht/night ($60/night) excluding breakfast, which I thought was somewhat expensive for Thailand (it was my most expensive hotel of the four I stayed in Thailand and the room was the plainest) – Phuket is probably the most expensive place in Thailand. They did require a 40% or so deposit over the internet with various timetables of getting some of it back but there is a heavy loss if you do not like the place and only stay one night. You do need to book all your room time ahead of time as it is a very popular place and gets booked up. However, after I visited and checked out a number of other hotels in Patong, I found that this hotel has enough positives to outweigh the lower costs of some of the other hotels. I found you can get a nice room elsewhere for $40/night but it would be a good long walk from Bangla Road ( at least 15 minutes ) and it would not have a pool or pleasant area outside to relax in. Expat’s main positive is its location. It is located just a 3 minute walk from Bangla Road but in a quiet location as it is setback inland from Rat-U-Thit Rd., and you do not hear any of the traffic noise or bar noises. My first criterion for a hotel room is that it should be quiet and that is what I got here. Only during the day there was some noise from construction of a new apartment/condo complex behind the hotel, but it was a muffled noise and no noise at night. It did not interfere with any of my sleep. The bathroom is very old, plain and small. Hot water was fine.
My room was situated on the second floor. It was in one of its unrenovated rooms. It is very plain. I would suggest that you ask for a renovated room. When I turned on the air conditioner I could smell the mildew coming from it and the toilet would not totally shut off. When I asked to change rooms I was informed they were at the moment fully booked. The following day they did fix the toilet. On about the third day to my surprise they removed and replaced the air conditioner with a brand new unit which ran quieter and had no mildew smell. They then did offer me a renovated room on the third floor when it became available, but I decided to stay where I was. So after that I found the room plain but comfortable. The bed was a little hard but acceptable and I always had a good night sleep. The t.v. channels were just so-so and I think it had only one English speaking channel. The t.v. was an older model. There is an electric security box in the closet. The room door lockset is low security type but they do have someone at the desk 24 hours. The pool setting is quite nice and comfortable. The pool was clean. There is a bar and you can order food there. However, it was cheaper for me to have breakfast elsewhere. Most of the time, I took a nice long walk to the beach, located near Sawatdirak Road, to have a cheaper breakfast on the beach which was quite pleasant. There is internet there but I think it cost too much and I found a better place just off of Bangla Rd.
The public transportation around Phuket Island is horrible and I still cannot believe it is so bad. In order to get from one beach area to another by bus, you must first take a bus to the Town of Phuket, 45 minutes away; then change to a bus that goes to the area you want to go to and that could take another hour to get to. Needless to say I did not pursue that option. You can take a motorcycle taxi, but they all want to charge 400 to 500 baht or more one way to get to the next beach. A car taxi would even be more expensive. Why this island does not have song-taa-ous that are reasonably priced is beyond me. The cheapest option is to rent a motorbike but there is no insurance and the island is known for all its tourist motorbike accidents. I did not notice rental bicycles but I will look more carefully next time.
There are many excursions you can go on and I did go to Phi Phi Island which was worth it. The restaurants are nice and the beach area is very pleasant.
Finally, I saw no remnants of the tsunami of 2004. There are signs showing evacuation routes if another one occurs.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

i just got back in australia and i can confirm this place is great.close to the action nice pool and great clean room.the support staff are fantastic and the security was second to none....i was flying solo and met heaps of couples at the hotel and easy to find a wingman for the night...this was my first time at the hotel and i will use it all the time now.
ive been coming to patong for 15 years and i know my hotels....this is it..!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Took a couple of mates with me to help celebrate my 40th.From the moment we walked into the Expat until we left we were treated like royalty from the amazing staff.The location is excellent and with 24hr security you always feel safe.The bar manager Martyn has a wealth of local knowledge and what he doesn't know the other staff are more than willing to give you info.The owners Paul and Gim always treat you with a smile and make you feel like part of the family.I highly recommend the Expat for anyone wanting to stay in Patong.The massive pool is a great way to relax in with a cold beer after a big day sight seeing.I'm heading back to Asia in October and already can't wait to get back to the Expat

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Expat Hotel? Share your experiences!