“Don't believe the bad reviews, a great place if in the right room.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Duangjitt Resort & Spa

You added Duangjitt Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Duangjitt Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   18 Prachanukroh Rd | Patong Beach, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #90 of 278 Hotels in Patong
melbourne australia
“Don't believe the bad reviews, a great place if in the right room.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Seriously have to wonder if I stayed at the same place as others have reviewed. Maybe it's because we were in the best room (Family suite), but everything here was just about perfect (in low season). Closed pools ??? Not when I was there in May, all 3 pools open, clean, spectacular. One pool is the biggest in Phuket, surely. Sheets and bedding all new, all clean. Grounds magnificent, another water feature or garden feature wherever you looked. A walk through the spa area was like a walk through paradise. All the blossoms were out when we were there, just lovely. I looked at the cheap rooms and there is one section, right at the end of the superior rooms, where they have added on some cheap and tacky rooming as an afterthought, so avoid these (Numbers here start at 9101? Closest to the beach end) . The other superior rooms looked just fine (I presume they are the superior rooms, as shown on their map), and a lot would have pool views from the second or third floor, in the middle section (say rooms 9201 to 9238 & 9301 to 9308).
The Family suite, just superb. 2 storeys, upstairs alone is bigger than any hotel room I've stayed in. Comes with comfortable bed, giant bathroom with large spa bath and separate shower, toilet, lovely balcony with day bed, plasma tv, and many nice decorations. Downstairs has double day bed which can be for sleeping for 2, another plasma tv with dvd player, shower, toilet, and a doorway to access the pool area. If you stay in one of these, you'd call this a 5 star resort. Yes, the water is yellow, but you only notice in the bath, and it doesn't smell. Shower pressure great, but it took over 20 minutes to fill the spa bath. It was worth it ! Just don't put the whole bubble bath bottle in and turn all the jets on ! No smells from room or bedding, cleaned well but did not wash floors every day.
Cheaper recommended room options are the deluxe pool view (stay closer to 2120 or 2220 end rather than 2101 or 2201 end), honeymoon rooms ( 1206,1207 & 1212 best IMO) and villa's (a little dark and secluded, try 4109 to 4111). The suites were the same size and price as the family suites but on a single level, so I'd stay in the family suite, unless stairs bother you. Honeymoon rooms and suites are near the smallest but deepest pool, with the villa's behind them. The bungalows were ok, but I'd only stay in 6129, 6130, 6131 as they are on the end and have pool views.
The resort itself is a magnificent tropical paradise, and it's only 0.5km from reception to the beach. I don't know why more people don't stay here ? Deluxe garden wing and gasalong rooms a little remote, but can come with a mountain view. Pools great, something for everyone. We had the second biggest pool literally to ourselves most of the time. Breakfast has fewer options than most and is just ok, probably the only downside here, but had the best omelette chef of anywhere we stayed (just have onion and ham, maybe cheese too. remember, less is more). Pad Thai at lunch was delicious, didn't have anything else. Staff very nice, if you are nice to them, but not to Centara Karon standard. As with all Phuket hotel staff, do not yell at them, you will be wiped. English could have been better.
What's the catch you say ? Well, 10 bus loads of touring tourists do arrive in the evening... and leave again by 7.30 am ! You never see them during the day ! How good is that ?!!!
Seemed to be mostly Russians and Germans around during the day, so lots of white pointers and g-strings at the pool. You can't swim in a t-shirt, but my rashy (sleeved swimsuit top) was acceptable, once I explained it was a bather top.
Easy 5 minute walk to Patong Beach (0.5km from reception desk) and public bus. Easy 5 minute walk to Otop markets. Tuk tuk transport at the exit all day and night, you certainly don't need to hire a car. Really, why don't more Australians stay here ? It's a mystery to me. Sure, it does lack a little party atmosphere, but that's because it's nearly empty ! Stay in a deluxe pool view room for 2 or 3 days on your next trip to Patong, and check it out. Bring your friends.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Duangjitt Resort is located near Patong Beach, but kind of to the side. It is a separate resort with its own entrance. I rented a car, so it was not a problem. But I can imagine how inconvenient it would be without some kind of transportation. Always get a car for Phuket!

I reserved a Superior room and was shocked to see it! The bathroom looked dirty and the bedsheets were cheap. The furniture was very, very old and the lighting was terrible. It was hard for me to believe this was rated a four star hotel! So I paid $10 more per night and upgraded to a Deluxe room. OH. MY. GOD. The BEST investment I ever made! The Deluxe room was a world of difference apart. It truly looked like something in a four star or more hotel. The furnishings were done in beautiful wood and the room and bed were BIG! The bathroom was modern and elegant. There was even a little sitting area and balcony. Honestly, I think I would only pay $20 maximum for the Superior room and up to $200 for the Deluxe room if I had to.

My only problem was the bedding. I've never experienced this before in my life, but the sheets had streaks of some kind of slightly sticky substance. It was almost as if they hadn't been fully rinsed. I complained to the staff and they said they'd take care of it. So they changed the sheets. But it felt the same way. I didn't like this at all and just couldn't understand it.

At the time, there was a lot of construction as I guess they were expanding. I don't know why since the resort is very big and most of the rooms were empty. So it was a bit noisy during the day.

There are several pools, but most of them were closed. There are also villas and a swim-up bar. The pool was alright. The guests were French, Russian, Algerian, and Korean. I would say middle class to lower-middle class. There were a couple of Korean girls who were trying to pump a tube to use in the swimming pool. I offered to help and sweat like a pig to do it for them. Barely a thank you. They said they worked at a clothing stall in Dongdaemun which goes to show what level of people you're dealing with... I'm sure they could also work as hostess girls, too, judging by their manners.

The breakfast buffet was below average. I mean there were pancakes, eggs, and Thai food and such. But the quality was something I'm not accustomed to eating. If I'm on vacation and staying at a hotel, I want to eat better than at home or at least up to par. The decor of the eating area (I'm going to refrain from using the word "dining" because it's not appropriate) was tacky. Oh well, I could eat it and get full at least.

SUMMARY: If you're going to stay here, get a Deluxe room. Then I would say it's a very good value. I don't think I'd stay here again as there are probably plenty of better places in Phuket. But it's not too bad.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
Port Stephens, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

just spent 6 nights at this resort. 3rd floor king bed room overlooking grounds & pool area. perfect, clean room with nice balcony view of nearby mountains & grounds with pool in distance. Room 9348. Hot water in shower sometimes took a little while to come through with great water pressure. Room cleaned daily, spotless.

Very large grounds with wings spread out over a large area. Beach & shops about a 4 min walk from room as the driveway is rather long. Fixed this on day two as hired a scooter for remaining days & toured the island. Best way to get out & see the real & whole of Phuket. Breakfast was buffet style plenty to choose from with an egg & omeltte station.
Never ate in the resort (except for complimentary breakfast) as so many bars, resturants & warungs to choose from. Lovely large pool with swim up bar & a smaller pool near the resturant. Pool towels checked out & kept for duration of stay can get clean ones when like & can take to beach. Phuket beach not so clean after the rains but on the scooter to discover beautiful, clean beaches nearby.

My only problem was on check out when they tried to charge me for two bottles of drink I supposably drank from mini bar & was replaced by house maid. Now i explained I never touched anything from mini bar except complimentary water supplied each day. Many phone calls (in Thai) & wait, wait, wait they had a grounds man bring an empty bottle to reception to show me saying this is your empty bottle from your room. Umm No! Get this. It was an empty bottle from my room from 3 days earlier! What the?
I continued to dispute this & as my driver was waiting to depart for the airport they played the waiting game hoping I would give in. Bring on the manager! Again explained my side of story & mentioned I would write a daming report on hotel when back in Australia. Finally dispute resolved at no charge. I am keeping am eye on my credit card to make sure no extra charge in deducted. Think this may be a ploy they try with many guests. Sure it's not much (60 Baht) but it's the principle.

So, wounderful resort would diffenately stay there again but have the mini bar removed on check in.

• Stayed May 2009
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

My family and I stayed for 6 nights at the end of our trip around southern Thailand. We stayed in a family room which was double story. We found the pool staff always smiling and welcoming. My dissapointment came at the end of our trip when i discovered i had an international call charged to my room. I did phone international but through the operator. I asked for a reverse charge call to be made to our insurance company as my husband was hospitalised for the night. I was asked which number i needed to call thinking that it was being reversed charged. I think their understanding of the english language should be a lot better in a hotel of this size and quality. still a nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Johannesburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

Just got back from a 14 day Intrepid Tour of northern Thailand. did a lot of backpacking and stayed in guesthouses, trains, on the deck of a boathouse and in huts in the tribes of Northern Thailand.

We were really looking forward to some good hotels and thought we pamper ourselves to the 4 star Duangjitt resort of Phuket - how wrong we were.

The location of the resort is very good. Its not city centre but 2 minutes walk away from Pudong beach and about 15min away from the city.

The rooms are clean.

Thats about it.

1) The room doesnt come with a bath (which I thought it would, being a 4 star hotel)
2) The water pressure from the shower is very weak (virtually just "drips" out of the shower head)
3) Aircon is "ok" but when you leave the room, it shuts off and when you return, its boiling in there! At least provide a fan or something to keep the air moving.
4) Booked an airport transfer for 10am and at 10h20 when I asked the reception where the transport was she just mentione "oh? are they not here yet?" Taxi eventually arrived at 10h30 and we arrived at the airport at 11h20 for a 12h15 international flight.

In all fairness, the hotel is "ok". Its definitely not a 4 start resort.

Its a reasonable place equivalent to some of the 2 star guest houses we stayed at during our backpacking trip.

I would recommend the hotel on to people not expecting too much and looking for a budget place to stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed in Duangjitt for 6 days and can tell just nice words about it. Service was good, de luxe room very nice and clean. You can prepare coffee in it, get fresh drink water every day etc. Hotel location is great, 2 minutes walking to Patong beach and entertainment facilities (bars, restaurants, shopping...) and still isolated from the crowd. Beautiful green garden, excellent swimming pools, eating breakfast in open space while birds are singing gives you a great deal for relax. Since we have only breakfast included I can't generally speak about the food in hotel but concerned breakfast, it was big choice of food, fresh fruits, fresh juicec etc. Hotel also provides spa treatments, we've had traditional thai massage (it costed 600 thb for one hour) and it was realy great experience. Generally, this hotel is for every recommendation.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

I enjoyed Duangjitt Resort very much. It is located just on the outer rim of the city and within walking distance of local restaurants and entertainment. It is close enough to the bustling city but isolated just right to still be peaceful.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Duangjitt Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!