“Never ever again - we were robbed!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Marq

Save Saved
You added The Marq to your Saves list
The Marq
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   78 / 4 Soi Nanai 8, Phang Muang Sai Kor Rd., Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #24 of 131 Specialty Lodging in Patong
Manila, Philippines
“Never ever again - we were robbed!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We discover our last day in this hotel that almost 2000 US dollars had been taken from our safe. As soon as, we had discovered that our money had been taken we immediately complained at reception and requested to speak to the manager as we were obviously annoyed about our stolen money. We were told that we could not see the manager, have a refund to stay anywhere else or even an apology - nobody cared about the money that was stolen from our room. We knew very well that maintainence had been in our room. We were also aware that there is a key for workers to get into our safe without knowing the code. We could not believe that nothing was done, no apology and no refund. The receptionist even laughed at us at one point when telling her about our stolen money - it was disgusting!!
My advice - stay away from this hotel, it will ruin your holiday!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

My stay in the Marq was really good! Rooms are clean, beds are good, same as the facilities. The staff is really friendly aswell. We could extend our stay for a day till our flight would go, even when they planned to close the whole hotel to do maintenance. Really helpful and kind people. Location was also perfect for me. It's just outside the crowded city centre, but you can walk there in less than 10 minutes.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

At the beginning the hotel seemed to be adequate in comparison with it's price. But after our room safes were robbed (two different rooms) the attitude of the personnel was horrible. No help at all for someone who have just lost all the money in their hotel using their security safe! Cannot recommend based on safety and services expirience....

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
The_Marq, Owner at The Marq, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
When providing information one should not leave out major details that change the story.
1. We never called the police. Because of our (my staff and ) involvement in the local community (ie volunteer firefighters, volunteer paramedic etc) my staff an I have know many local emergency personnel. We called directly to one of Phuket top law officials. What would be the equivalent of the FBI.
2. Did you not notice everyone who was dispatched to the hotel was plain cloths (under cover) vs the people you spoke to in the police station in uniform.
3. This also would explain why when you felt the security cameras were not downloading quicly enough and called the tourist police they did nothing. Once you said you had been to the police station, they called to verify details and found out you were being handled by a department way above them.
4. We did nothing to help? In addition to my staff calling the FBI something very few hotels could do. We provided you with our personal motor bikes to go the police station to fill out the necessary paper work
5. Neither one of you could provide any evidence that you had made a withdraw of money in the amount you claimed was in the safe.
6. We provided you footage of select video cameras. The FBI had access to all cameras and could identify where all staff was during the time the cameras went out. Due to interference they go out sometimes. (They are Internet cameras so a guest downloading a movie can knock one camera off.)
7. You personally saw that anytime any staff was in your room the door was left open leaving little opportunity for any misdoing on their part.
8. After the law officials used video software to aid in their investigation they could identify that none of the staff were ever in the room with the door closed. They also saw all the cameras and the time frame. When camera 11 went down all staff were accounted for in other parts of the building. Every floor has multiple cameras. It's impossible to go from one floor to the next without being detected.
9. The FBI told you they could not call her in because of their findings. They did provide you an opportunity for them to call her in on your behalf. But you opted not to exercise this option. Furthermore they informed you I was unable to call her in because of her rights under Thai Law.
10. I believe the FBI told you (the same as they told me) that their investigation proved no wrong doing of any staff member. It is their belief that this was a scam for insurance purposes. Had I called the tourist police at first you would have been held for further questioning and possible arrest. But this is outside their interest.

The report you left the hotel with, the same one I've provided to TripAdvisor documents all these finding.
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I have in my room paper where is info about security safe. Information say get your valuable and money to security box. I use it, and safe there my ID, camera,ipod and money 1400 USD. Day before check out I found out my money was stolen, exactly 900 USD. I dont understood why onlypart, but thats it. Other think happened in brothers room, they wasrobbed to, exactly same but not all ( he has different room on different flore )
Manager and receptionist almost smaling to our face and after 2 hours call police. In police station we wrote protocol and go to our hotel whit detectiv. Hotel start downloading video and we must wait 6 hour to see 35 hour when the accidant happened. Manager dont care, he doesnt call staff and doesnt do anything for us. On video is 15 minuts black out, bud when we show the stuff they dont care. No one go this hotel if you are psychic alright and let them pay for this!!!!
Seriasly, dont go this hotel anymore, they stole our money and know we leaving a we cant do nothing for justice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
The_Marq, Owner at The Marq, responded to this review, March 16, 2014

Think of it 2 brothers, 2 rooms, same day both getting 900 taken from the safe. Neither can prove they had any cash either from bank withdraws or exchange of travelers checks.
New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Loved my stay at The Marq. Really good rooms for a cheap price, very clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful. If you're looking for great budget accommodation then I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jogja
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

The staffs are very nice and friendly. Even sometimes we found hard in communication they were so patient.
The rooms are very cozy and the facilities are unexpecting, great!
the location is a bit far from the crowded area (like around bangla road) so I guess you'll sleep peacefully.
For us that were not used to walk, it's still oke when we're going to the beach, but it's a bit tiring in a way back to the hotel.
I don't know exactly but I think it needs about 10-15 minutes walk to bangla road.
What a pity that this hotel didn't give a breakfast but
there is a cafetaria if you want to eat or there is seven eleven near here.
There is free wifi in this hotel, but sadly the signal was not good when we enter the room, so last time we must get out from the room to get signal.
Overall I like this hotel and make me want to comeback again someday

• Stayed February 2014
Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I highly recommend the Marq hotel. I stayed there for 3 months and was able to see a lot of Patong because of the information the friendly staff gave me. It felt like coming home after a busy day exploring the area and hitting the beaches. The rooms are modern and there was no problem getting fresh towels everyday. I rented out a motor bike from them without any problems. One of the employees "Big" makes great mixed drinks and sometimes they have specials going on in there bar type setting in the lobby. Take advantage of that! I know that they went through some employee changes and went through trial and error with hiring people (that might be why some of the previous comments mentioned poor customer service). The American owner is very knowledgeable and he is good at giving directions. My experience in Patong has been great and it was because of the warm staff!

Room Tip: 204/205! It has a balcony!