We were disappointed with our overall experience at the Avista Hideaway Resort and Spa in Phuket. The resort itself is very pretty and sits on gorgeous grounds. The rooms are also nice, clean, and spacious. Our complaints deal more with the service of the hotel. Here is a list of some areas from improvement and areas that we feel that other customers should be aware of:
1) Location and lack of shuttle availability-- The hotel is situated high above Patong on a hill. There is really nothing within walking distance, so if you are hungry or want to grab a drink, your only option is to go down the hill or eat at the hotel. In order to get down, you have to either a) take a taxi (which will cost you double what it should cost you due to the taxi mafia or b) use the hotel's shuttle service. The problem with the shuttle service is that they only have 1 shuttle bus for the entire hotel and the availability is limited to every 2 hours or so. In addition, you have to request this service well in advance. The 7:00 PM slot seemed to always be full and so then you have to wait until the 9:00 PM slot, which is usually too late for dinner for most of us. They have a shuttle that seats about 14 people to provide transportation for an entire hotel... makes no sense.
We felt "stuck" many times because we had called to late to request the 7:00 PM drop off and then had to wait until 9:00 PM.
2) The hotel creates expectations and then does not fulfill them. Upon check in, they provided us with a questionnaire regarding our preference for pillow style, tea flavors, mattress preference, etc. We excitedly filled out the questionnaire expecting that we would have our favorite tea in the room and special pillows, only to find that everything was what a standard hotel room would have and none of our preferences had been implemented. In addition, the questionnaire asked if we were celebrating any special occasion, which we were (it was our 4th wedding anniversary). We thought that this was a nice gesture and expected that they would be doing something to help us celebrate, but nothing came. For this, it is better to not provide the questionnaire, so that there are no false expectations.
3) Not enough pool towels. We were in need of pool towels to go to their offsite private beach (which is one of the nicer things about the hotel) only to find that they did not have any pool towels available, as they were all being cleaned. After waiting about 45 minutes to get towels, they brought us wet towels that smelled like mildew. Needless to say, we did not use them and felt that in a hotel of this type, towels should always be available.
4) No take away breakfast box on day of departure. Our room rate included daily breakfast. On our last day, we had to check out early (30 minutes before breakfast was to begin) due to having to catch a flight. As we met with our driver and some other guests, we were informed that it is customary for some hotels to provide their guests with a take away box of some breakfast items on the day of check out, if they are unable to make the breakfast. The other guests that rode to the airport with us had their take away boxes that their hotel had provided. Mind you, they stayed at a much more affordable and less luxurious hotel than we did. We were sad that we did not get to enjoy the daily breakfast that day and were not even informed of a take away breakfast option.
All in all the hotel is very nice in terms of looks. One can truly go there to relax but what makes it difficult to relax and enjoy the beauty of the hotel is the faulty customer service. Being a more luxurious hotel, customer service should be top notch. Primarily providing options for the guests to experience a hassle free vacation. We will probably not be returning to this hotel and will pick another hotel option upon our return to Patong.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa, PhuketParadise in Phuket with Fresh Perspectives on the Perfect Tropical EscapeAs a discerning traveller, you understand that there are two sides to every story. Our view is, why limit yourself to a single point of view? Avista Hideaway Resort and Spa offers two equally mesmerising panoramas from its perch upon a steep green peak in southern Phuket.Ensconced in your lavish, luxuriously appointed guest room, Jacuzzi Duplex or the very private pool suite, we assure you of complete privacy. One of the vistas brings you back to nature as you gaze over a sea of trees to the calm of Tri Trang Beach; a contemplative outlook, pristine, green, serene. A contrasting view, due north is an expansive Andaman seascape, azure by day, glittering party strip by night, awash with the possibilities of paradise.This is luxury from a new angle. Naturally, you will find the expected amenities and cosseted comforts one expects from the ultra luxe tropical escapes: a private beach club, indulgent spa and dining adventures, 24-hour butler and seamless service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Agoda, HotelTravel.com and Priceline so you can book your Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa Patong, Phuket