“DONT BOTHER!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa

You added Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39/9 Muen Ngoen Road, Tri-trang Beach, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Special Price
60% off Room rates
Ranked #5 of 278 Hotels in Patong
4.5 of 5 stars 694 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
“DONT BOTHER!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My partner and I stayed a few weeks ago and to be completely honest, it was the worst part of our trip.

We 1st arrived and were told to sit down on the couch and someone world be with us as soon as possible. We waited for ½ hour before a young European lady came over to ask if we had had our welcome drink, which we had not. She stated that she would get these for us straight away, this never happened. After about 45 minutes of waiting around we were told our room was not available yet and we would have to wait an hour. They stated that if we wanted, we could go to the restaurant for lunch and someone would attend to us when the room was ready.
We made our way through the maze of stairs and got very lost as we were not directed or shown how to get there. When we attended to the resutrant there was only one table other than ours. We placed our order and my partner and I both ordered a fresh coconut as it was on the menu. We were told they had none (how can you not have coconuts in Thailand.) We then waited 30 minutes for our drinks to arrive (after having to ask what was going on with the order) and then had to wait an hour for our food.
After sitting in the restaurant, which I more a cafeteria, for 2 hours we had a feeling we had be forgotten about in regards to our room so we ventured up the thousands of steep stairs to see what was going on. We had to wait another ½ hour to get in our room. Once we got to our room. We were told our bags would be delivered in a few moments. 1 hour later we had to call to find out where they were, 20 mins later they arrived.
The rooms are nice, the bathroom is great but you have to close an annoying sliding panelled window every time you want to use the bathroom in private as its all open planned. Beds are lovely and very comfortable. If you are English speaking like us, there is ONE channel which is English speaking. And its American news.
While we were staying at Avista, we had some major issues with our air-conditioned. It was VERY loud and one night, very late, I walked down the hall to be met with a flooded hallway. All the walls were dripping with water. I called reception and had to wait a very long time for front desk to send someone. They arrived, took one look and told me they had to get the engineer. After waiting MORE time ( it was very late by this stage) the engineer came and all he could do was leave a filthy towel for a pool of water.
The next day at breakfast, which is an experience of its own, we were confronted by one of the managers who WE had to inform of the mishap. In a nutshell the told us that they would send an engineer to fix this but they did not know if he would be able to. When my partner asked if there was any way we could be moved to another room as the aircon is broken and very loud we were told NO!

Breakfast. Food is ok. BUT SO LOUD and busy. You have to hunt someone down to clean a table or get a coffee.
You have to prompt room service to clean you room a few times and still it doesn’t get cleaned.
Also, nothing is open. We wanted to book in to the BBQ restaurant that was advertised, but it was not open. We wanted to book into the spa for a treatment, but this was not open.
Also, before our booking I contacted Avista to make sure that the virtual golf would be completed on the date we were staying and we were guaranteed that It would be, but no it wasn’t. This was a major factor as to why we booked with Avista.

Honestly, you could spend ½ the money you spend Avista and get 100% better than what they offer. But keep in mind… this place has stairs. Millions of them, so if you have a disability , not the fittest person or just don’t want to go on a hike to get to a pool, don’t stay here, its HELL

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We originally were booked in to stay at the sister resort in Kata, and I must say I was initially annoyed that they moved us as I hadn't wanted to stay in Patong, plus they only said something when I emailed them a week before our trip to confirm booking. They said it was due to overbooking but I would have thought that they would know this earlier than 1 week before our trip and it would have been nice to get an email sooner. I suspect that they have been overbooking deliberately to get people to their new hotel in Patong, as they need to get people there in order to get a reputation. If this is the case I think it is a great marketing strategy and I didn't feel put out once we were there at all!

From the minute we arrived we could tell this hotel was a 5-star resort. The service was amazing! Ellen was fantastic from the word go, and you can tell her work is what makes the place run smoothly (as smooth as can be for a new resort). The room was amazing, spacious and clean! Well thought out and great decor. The pools were beautiful, never any trouble getting sun lounges etc. The downside to the resort was not everything was open yet, and its location really limits you whilst you are there. The hotel runs a shuttle service that is fairly regular however you have to plan ahead and that can be annoying, plus if you decide to get a taxi back from wherever you are instead of locking yourself into the shuttle they will charge you extra for going up the hill! The other thing about the shuttle service was there was no shuttle in between 4:30 and 6:30, and it takes a good half hour to get in to patong due to traffic and one way streets, so I think a service at 5:30 would be good. Plus there is no shuttle back between 8:30 and 11pm, and the shops close at 10pm. I think a shuttle at 10pm back to the hotel would be handy. Other than that the shuttle worked really well. The other downside to the resort is all the stairs! However, the golf buggy service was fantastic! We just called to reception and they came and got us, or from reception they would see us and offer us a lift most of the time!

This hotel will truly be a 5-star resort once all it's facilities are up and running and they get through their teething stage, but for a 3 month old resort they are doing very well! Oh did I mention the breakfast buffet was amazing! Oh and the cookies! Oh and Ellen and Marck were very caring once they found out I had been unwell and been in hospital during our stay. This hotel is what made our trip as good as it could be considering I was sick, and I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request a pool access room and see how you go! Was beautiful and very handy!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Avista_Hideaway, General Manager at Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear haylesm85,

Many thanks for your comments it is always important to receive feedback from our Guests and we appreciate the time you have taken.

We are glad you enjoyed the upgrade to Avista Hideaway Resort and Spa and can assure you that we do not deliberately overbook our other Resort just to move Guests. What we did find was that over the Chinese New Year some guests decided to extend their stay in our Resort which means that rooms which were allocated for new guests suddenly become unavailable. This does not happen very often but unfortunately when it does we do have to move new guest first rather than refusing the current guests. We are very lucky to have the new Avista Hideaway Resort and Spa which means we can offer better upgrades if this does happen.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our service, Ellen is one of our main Guest Experience Officers and certainly ensures she takes care of all our guests.

We are glad you liked the room and this is one of the main areas which were considered when designing the Resort, we wanted to ensure all rooms were spacious and airy with a touch of luxury in as many details as possible.

In the early stages of the Resort opening we did have several areas unavailable however many of these are now fully operational.

For the shuttle service we have now introduced more times which ensure we can cover peak periods better.

Chef Tim is extremely happy you mentioned his breakfast and cookies and both Ellen and Marck thank you for the recognition.

Once again many thanks for your comments which have been shared with the entire team.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Against all negative reviews I can honestly say this place is just beautiful, perfect to do nothing and a stone throw to do everything here in Phuket.

Upon arrival we were kindly greeted with a friendly host who assisted us upon check in and provided us with a refreshing drink and fruit, check in and registration was efficient and quick.

The property is quite large so we got a buggy to our room, as a previous room advised this is a resort to assist in getting you fit there is a couple of stairs which is fine because the food here is amazing!!!

The pools here are generously sized with perfectly new sunbathing chairs with a in pool swim up bar for both pools.

I cannot fault this resort and will be back for a break or special occasion getaway.

The staff are absolutely second to none and make this experience a memory to never forget. Too bad I only got one night here!

Room Tip: Ground floor is beneficial for any guests less mobile.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
GM_Avista_Hideaway, General Manager at Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Riss_AUS,

Many thanks for your comments and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Avista Hideaway Resort and Spa.

We certainly try to ensure that all guests receive the best possible service from the moment they arrive until they depart and we are glad the arrival experience left an impression.

As you are aware our Resort is located on the side of a mountain and has several different blocks spread over the terrain, this does mean that there are several levels and stairs which do indeed help to keep you fit. We do have elevators and buggy's on call for those guest t prefer to take things a little easier.

We have passed you comments onto all the staff and they appreciate the kind words, we do try to ensure our service is both professional and more importantly from the heart.

We hope to see you again in the future and this time hopefully for longer.

Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We first booked six months in advance to stay at the sister resort in Kata but was told on arrival that our booking had been cancelled! They said we had to stay at the new much more luxurious hotel in Patong, we went to have a look and it was much nicer on first appearance than the resort in Kata, however this is the only plus of staying at the Avista Hideaway.
We booked a Club Level room & we're told by the resort at Kata that we would have the same room type in Patong. We were showed to our room which was overlooking a building site and the room didn't have a seaview like we had booked so we therefore voluntarily had to downgrade to a cheaper room type to have a nice view. We did eventually get the same benefits of a club room but not without a lot of fuss for the first few days, we also did not receive any kind of refund or compensation for the room downgrade. The room that we downgraded too was not made up when we arrived & we were told that it would be made up immediately so we went to have lunch whilst we waited only to be told whilst we were having lunch that the housekeepers had made up the wrong room and it would be another hour!!
Lunch was not very relaxing either, there is only one restaurant which is more like a canteen, we ordered a strawberry & banana smoothie from the choose your own smoothie list & was told you are only allowed to choose one fruit and when the strawberry smoothie came out it was undrinkable. The food menu is very limited & the canteen chairs are very uncomfortable, staff could not even hold the plates as they were so heavy,we didn't return there again only for breakfast.
As part of the club level package you get afternoon tea & sunset cocktails included. We went for afternoon tea on a couple of days, this was also not a pleasant experience, the first day there were ants on the stands & there was never much of a selection of sandwiches or cakes, I never saw the stands full once it looked like we had a choice of the dreggs that we leftover. I also had a dodgy cosmopolitan which made me feel ill & forced me to spend the rest of the evening in bed.
The rooms were nice, there was only one English Channel in the room, the in room manual said we could hire DVD's but that wasn't yet open so we couldn't watch anything.
We ordered room service a couple of times but due to the size of this hotel & also the amount of stairs this wasn't quick, room service took nearly an hour! My fiance had a pizza which was half burnt and dry, not very appetizing at all! For lunch one day I order a tuna & spring onion sandwich after waiting for an hour a sandwich arrived with cashew nuts & raw onion?!?! It was disgusting! I had to call & ask them to collect it, it took them half an hour to bring another one. Plates were cleared when the room was turned down however they were only moved to the the other side of the corridor & left there until the next day!! We also received two separate wake up calls at 7am which weren't asked for, total incompetence by the staff.
Breakfast is crazy, I would recommend going early if you want to be able to move & get some peace. Breakfast can be uncomfortable, the management team stand around waiting to talk to you & interrupt your breakfast, it's very uncomfortable. The Head Chef was walking around the breakfast room serving treats to his guests of choice which is very unprofessional, one morning the toaster was even facing the wrong way! If you want a cup of tea be prepared to wait to order, in fact you have to get a member of staffs attention & then be prepared to wait a long time to get it.
Our stay at this hotel was very disappointing every time there was an interaction with a member of staff, there was a problem, it wasn't very relaxing at all. When we booked the hotel we were looking forward to relaxing stay at a well organized hotel in a nice location by the beach & near nice restaurants we did not get any of this. We wanted to book spa treatments which we did but we had to be shuttled over to the other hotel in Kata which again is not very relaxing.
The location is terrible, patong is not a very nice place, it's dirty and full of adult bars & the beaches are busy not quiet. Kata is much nicer. The hotel runs shuttles to Patong but not enough and not as often as they should, if you want to leave Patong you have to drive through the one way system in Patong which can take nearly an hour in peak time & the bus drops you off half way round so it is not quick at all taking the shuttle, it's too far to walk & taxis are ridiculously expensive!
At the Kata resort we were told that if we stayed in Patong we would be staying in a better hotel with much better facilities, the only problem was none of them were open, no spa, the rooftop bar above reception not open, there is supposed to be another restaurant which is again not open, there is no beach access you have to leave the hotel to go but again in the manual it said we could go to a private beach cove & even beach picnics could be arranged however none of this was ready. It was a complete disappointment followed by more disappointment. However we were told that everything should be ready in 1 year if we wanted to return then.... I don't think so!
The staff were all very friendly and I don't think they did anything wrong, they have not been trained properly & it seems that the managers above don't have a clue what they are doing. Ellen was very good but she didn't compensate enough for the state of this hotel. It is definitely not 5 star your money is better spent elsewhere, the swimming pools and view are lovely but other than that the hotel should not be open for guests it is not ready!
I feel totally let down by the experience of this hotel so much that it just makes me angry how they got it so wrong & couldn't make it right, our holiday was totally ruined. We did not receive any compensation & were definitely not offered anything. I feel like we were completely ripped off and upset that we have lost money on such an awful hotel & wasted our holiday by staying here. I would not ever visit again & would not recommend to anyone.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Avista_Hideaway, General Manager at Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear fionamc25,

Many thanks for your comments and I am sorry you were not satisfied with your stay. We do appreciate all guest feedback and I would like to address your comments as follows:

If there is ever an issue with a booking we will always assist the guest and ensure things are resolved, in this instance there was an error with the booking and agent and to solve this we offered a complimentary upgrade to our 5 star resort. We also offered a club room at the Avista Hideaway Resort which is a far superior room than the club rooms at Kata, this is reflected in the pricing. When you viewed the room and found it unsatisfactory obviously we offered another room which may suit you. When you refer to the “cheaper” rooms these are actually our Bueno Vista rooms which again are a much higher level and quality than the rooms you initially booked. Even the Bueno Vista rooms are priced much higher than any of the rooms at the Kata Resort. Therefore although they may be the cheaper rooms in terms of Hideaway Resort pricing I do not feel they are in any way a downgrade. We also offered our 5 Star Club Vista priveledges to you which were not initially part of your Kata booking. I do apologise that you did not get these initially with the room change and this is due to our system automatically assigning guest privledges based on room type. Once the manager saw the error he did add these to your room package.

In terms of the room not being ready, your initial room was ready for you on check in however as you wanted a room change there was a slight delay, this was due to the Resort being fully occupied during the Chinese New Year festival. In order to move you to the new room we had to wait past the checkout time and allow the other guests to leave without any unnecessary pushiness. This was an unavoidable delay, hence why we suggested having lunch while you waited. I do apologise that we were unable to offer another room at that time.

With regard to the restaurant feeling like a canteen, I am a unsure why this was the feeling. We have spent a lot of effort importing high quality cushioned furniture to create a comfortable atmosphere and I certainly have not seen any canteens which resemble our restaurant. Obviously I am not sure of the style of canteens in your area but if they do indeed resemble our restaurant I would certainly not mind eating in them. If this was the feeling due to the amount of people then again I can only apologise as we do find dining times very busy over the festival period. For the other comments regarding the plates etc. then I can only inform you that we use the highest quality Chinaware for all our crockery and staff are able to manage to carry these very well.

I am not sure why you were informed you could only have one fruit in the smoothie and this is certainly not the case. Guests can choose any flavor from our smoothie menu as well as a combination. I will certainly make sure this does not happen to anyone else in the future.

The complimentary afternoon Tea and Cocktail hours which are part of the Club Vista privileges do sometimes get very busy during peak times however we do try to replenish the stands as quickly as possible. All items are freshly made and this can result in items not being filled quick enough. I apologise if the cosmopolitan was not to your liking, we do only use the best branded alcoholic ingredients and I am unsure why this would make you feel ill unless it was due to the larger measures of alcohol we use.

The TV system we have currently has 3 English channels and we do realize this is a limited selection. As from March 2013 we will be using the Astro system which has over 6 English channels and includes BBC News, Star Movies and more. The DVD collection is always available from reception. The full DVD library is shown in the Guest Service Directory and all films are delivered on request so I am not sure why you thought this service was closed.

Regarding the room service I do apologise for this delay, we do normally ensure all orders are delivered within 30 minutes of ordering however over the Festival period we did experience some delays and are working on resolving this. The trays left in the corridors are normally collected by our night shift staff and I will look into why there may have been a delay in removing this. I will certainly look into the problem with the sandwich, I find it very strange that our trained chefs would confuse cashew nuts with tuna and if this is the case then the person responsible will be re-evaluated.

For breakfast it can be very busy during peak times and this is the case in many Resorts here in Phuket. We do try to ensure our management are visible during breakfast as this is a perfect chance for us to meet the Guests and address any issues they may have, we do try not to interrupt and make very slight conversation initially to judge if the guest would like to engage or not. Our head chef also tries to walk around and meet guests and certainly does not serve preferred guests. The “treats” you referred to were actually a special menu which the chef prepared on a daily basis for one of our guests with a serious dietary requirement. This meant they could not eat the normal menu and had to have dishes prepared from special ingredients. This is something we do with any guest that may have a medical or dietary issue and is part of our 5 star services.

Patong certainly is a very different atmosphere to Kata. Kata does not have the bars, restaurants or entertainment which Patong offers. Our Resort is located around 5 minutes from the center of Patong and getting there during the day takes approximately 5 minutes with the entire return journey taking around 15 minutes, however after 6pm the roads are closed to vehicles and although getting into Patong from the Resort still only takes 5 minutes the shuttle does have to go around the entire one way system to return and this can take an hour or more if busy. Local taxis on the entire Island are relatively expensive with a short journey costing between $5 - $10,this is something the Hospitality industry and local authorities are trying to change but at present is out of our control.

With regards to some of our outlets not being ready this is correct, up until March 2013 the Spa was not fully functional and our other restaurants were not open, we did however try to offer complimentary transport to our other Resort Spa. The private beach was also not available. As from March the Spa is fully operational and we do now have access to the private beach area. All other services such as beach picnics etc and trips to a private beach cove have always been available as part of our tour desk.

I am sorry your stay was not a pleasant experience and our staff do try their best to offer professional, friendly, heartfelt service to all guests. Our management and staff have very good experience and training and although not an excuse we did find the busy season very challenging and fell short in several areas due to low staff levels rather than experience or training.

I am a little disappointed that some of these issues were not brought to our attention when you were here as we always try to rectify any issues we have and compensate wherever possible. Obviously if we are told after you leave it is harder to solve the issues.

We do appreciate all your comments and we can assure you that all will be addressed and followed up. Our main priority as a 5 Star Resort is to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of ALL guests no matter how challenging.

We hope you will reconsider our Resort in the future as it would be a shame to miss such a wonderful setting.

Chandigarh, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Very good resort to enjoy vacations. We stayed for five nights and enjoyed a lot. Pools are very good.And food/ breakfast was very good. Rooms are very spacious particullary wash rooms are very nice.View of mountains with sea is very good.Location is not so good.There is no beach of hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear groverbr,

Many thanks for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

One of the most important factors we considered when designing the Resort was the size and comfort of the rooms as this is crucial for any guest. We have managed to create a very spacious Resort with 3 unique pools which manages to offer quiet secluded areas all over the property even at peak times.

Although we are not situated right on the beach we are only 5 minutes away from 4 main beaches which are Patong Beach, Tri Trang Beach, Paradise Beach and the secluded Freedom Beach.

We have passed on your comments to all staff and hope to see you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed there for 3 nights and had a wonderful time. Great staff, great rooms, great pools and great breakfast

The hotel is brand new and need another few month to be top, but they are on the right way to be one of the top hotels in Patorng

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Avista_Hideaway, General Manager at Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear OF665

Many thanks for your comments and we are delighted we lived up to your expectations.

As a new Resort our aim is certainly to be the best Resort in Patong and we do pay special attention to the quality of service we provide. We opened in December 2012 and are constantly looking for ways to make the Guests stay more and more enjoyable.

We have passed on your comments to all the team and hope to see you back again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I spent my 1st wedding anniversary here & they made it very memorable! They upgraded us to the Duplex Jacuzzi suite. The room itself is very modern with full facility including a touch panel for all lights, but the highlight was the outdoor jacuzzi. I have stayed in rooms with Outdoor jacuzzis before but have never been able to use them before thanks to the mosquitos. But surprisingly, the jacuzzi & room were both insect free!
The pools in the hotel are a sight themselves, we hardly felt the need to go to the Patong beach (very crowded!), thanks to the pools in the hotel.
Brreakfast had a large variety even for a vegetarian like me. The chef made time to talk to each table about their opinions. I had dinner at the restaurant too, which the chef made very comfortable. They have a large choice of cuisines too: Pizzas, Pastas, Indian, etc.
Service was the top cherry of all. They made our anniversary special by giving us a dessert dish & a cake complementary.
The only con of this hotel was it was suitable for a 'hideaway', it is a bit secluded from the hussle of the town, so you have to get a shuttle (free provided by hotel at specific times), or pay the taxi a lot more to come on top of the hill. But I guess this is what a 'hideaway' is supposed to mean!
Overall, I really liked staying at this new resort & Wish them the very best!

Room Tip: There are not many sea facing rooms, but the hill view is good enough.
Dear Devanshi_dns

Many thanks for your comments and we are delighted you enjoyed spending your anniversary with us.

There has been a lot of thought put into the design of the Resort and special attention was made to the layout and size of the rooms. We do think that it is crucial for the rooms to be large, airy and also offer the right amount of privacy. As you rightly mentioned we are a true "Hideaway", the Resort is located right on the mountain overlooking the bay however only 2 minutes from the center of Patong.

Our chef Tim was delighted you mentioned him and he does always make a point of walking around and talking to guests to get feedback on all our dishes.

We have passed on your comments to all the team and do hope to see you again soon.

Avista Management.

Been to Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!