We are a hardcore vegetarian Indian couple and dont like to experiment too much with food. Even if we are outside India, we have to eat Indian food. Before leaving for Phuket, I did some research on Indian restaurants and found Tantra as one of the options. The reviews it had on Tripadvisors made it the first restaurant I chose to try in Phuket - and boy ! am I glad I did that?? We got so hooked to Tantra, that we did not even try any other restaurant for the duration we were in Phuket.
Tantra was just fantastic. The food was simply superb and the location, ambiance and staff was 10 on 10. The manager (Dharmendra) was very friendly and made sure our plates were full. It was good to have an Indian managing the show as he was aware of all the nuances of Indian food habits (e.g. complimentary sliced raw onions, various levels of "spicy" etc) and courteous enough to accept when a dish was not so good (our second serving of daal tadka was very thin. When we complained, he got another bucket made for us in quick time)
The restaurant is right on the Patong beach - cross the small junction after 3 spices restaurant and look to the right - there is a Subway after John's Tailors Shop (big yellow signboard). Tantra is the second shop after Subway.
Things you definitely need to try:
1. Breads : Masala Kulcha
2. Daal: Yellow daal tadka
3. Veggies: Chana Masaala
4. Rice: Veg Biryaani (it is just out of this world - you will not get such mouth watering biryani even in Hyderabad)
5. Desserts: Go for triple flavored ice cream with raw mango (Dharmendra's awesome recommendation)
6. Beverages: Mango Lassi
7. Seating: Go for the floor seating - feels awesome specially will cylindrical cushions to support your back
What you should avoid:
1. Aloo Dum : It has a very dominant taste and fragrance of tomato. Not like one is accustomed to
2. Water: Get your own bottles. Water is not free and charged way above the 7/11 rates
We dont drink or eat chicken / meat so can not comment.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.