“Terrific Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Merlin Beach Resort

You added Merlin Beach Resort to your Saves list
Merlin Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   99 Muen-Ngoen Road, Tri-Trang Beach | Patong, Kathu, Phuket, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #34 of 278 Hotels in Patong
Hobart
“Terrific Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a very nice resort, a little distance by taxi from Patong(approx 250 to 300 ) staff are very good. Only complaint was that drinks are very expensive. The resort has beautiful pools for all ages.

Room Tip: Pick a pool room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Korean first
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed here in April 2014 and the whole experience was fantastic. Definitely will be back as the resort is clean and well managed. Every area is run smoothly, food is good, pools are clean and service is brilliant. My best holiday ever.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Myself and 3 friends travelled to Phuket May/June 2014 nad stayed for 14 nights at Merlin Beach Resort, what a great place to relax. the hotel offered 3 great pool, 1 with a pool bar for happy hours drinks, we stayed in a pool access room it was great to be able to just walk out your door and have a dip.
Staff at the hotel were extremely friednly and accomodating to any request, I read some trip advisor comments before we travelled and must say that those people whi have posted negative comments about this property and the service level must be extremely hard to please we had no complaints regarding both propeorty and service level all high standards. Whilsdt I belive that some of the rooms may appear to be outdated I can say that both our pool access and standard room very very well furbish and up to date I can only asume that the hotel is woerking its wat through an upgrade.

We will certainly be back to enjoy what this resort has to offered and whilst it is a bot further away from patong than originally thought still only a 300 baht trip and its was nice to get back there away from all the yhpe, and noise.
Dale

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My hubby and i recently spent 11 glorious days at the Merlin Beach resort in Khao lak. We enjoyed every minute of our vacation there. Our room was superb, with views of the upper pools. The staff were attentive yet discreet and attention to detail wherever you go on the resort is clear. Food is delicious wherever you go in Thailand and this is no exception. The pools are clean and there are a few to choose from and if you want a beach experience a few meters from the pool is the beautiful andaman sea.. A little rough this time of year but still very swimmable... And elephants rides and cocktail bars and other restaurants are walking distant from hotel if you feel the need to eat out or get out. Our favorites were Black jack bar for cheap cocktails and Mali and Tom Yong Goong for Thai.. Loads of massage spas and laundry spots. Merlin beach was wonderful

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Patong, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

The worst part about our 1st floor room is that our A/C intake must be near a favorite smokers haunt. Seems people like to smoke at our bedtime as our room is pumped full of ciggy smoke at various times of the day but especially at night.

Housekeeping was slack with staff not even bothering to answer the phone after 9 p.m. in a call for ice.

The Hotel's mark up on ice, food and bevvies is very enthusiastic so I suggest keep this to a bare minimum. A couple traveling with us had several bogus additions to their tab. One of which was rescinded and another too difficult to argue the remainder not worthy of squabble.
The room fridge is tiny so a daily stop off at either the 7/11 or family mart (both en route) is a must.

Any rooms other than ground floor seem to have a convoluted access to the pool so I suggest go elsewhere if you like to swim often. The pools were clean and had good PH balance however I don't agree with kiddies being seated at the swim up bar and certainly not at the expense of paying adult patrons.

The free wi-fi worked well for my laptop however the wife had issues with her tablet.

The room service food was 2 star at best though there was plenty of it.

The hotel is out of Patong however this wasn't a major issue Taxis and tuk tuk are available from 250-300 Bht. There is a good restaurant (The Blue Mango) within easy walking distance which I recommend. The beach massage and laundry services are a rip off so I strongly suggest you use one of the many others in Patong.

I hope people find this review helpful.

Room Tip: Demand a ground floor room or stay elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had 7 nights at the Merlin towards the end of my tour in Thailand. This hotel was a wonderful way to relax and unwind after my adventures in the mountains and in Bangkok. My room was clean, comfortable and had a beautiful view of the pool and the beach beyond. Plenty of variety in the food offered, and an afternoon in the beach café is definitely not a wasted one.
And the service was really first rate. I always judge this on how hotel staff respond to the unexpected. So when I unfortunately passed out unwell at the bar, due to dehydration, the staff were not only prompt in getting me medical assistance (which is onsite), but also in checking up on me as I recovered.
The hotel has ample facilities to offer transport to both Patong town and even to Phuket town, though Patong is only a 2 mile walk. As well as excursions to see the rest of Phuket and to go diving and snorkelling on the east side of Phuket.

If there is a con to this place, then it's that it is a ways away from the rest of what's going on. But if like me you're looking for somewhere to enjoy the beach, pool-bar and relax and do nothing. Then I can highly recommend the Merlin Beach as that sort of escape.

Room Tip: Beach facing rooms. The other side does face a pool, but also the road too.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed here for 7 nights for my hubby's 50th birthday. There were 4 rooms booked in total. 2 were pool access rooms which I would highly recommend, the beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept on and yes you do have free wifi access. The others were on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The room on the second floor wasn't as undated as the others which was a little disappointing but the room on the 3rd floor which over looked the kiddies pool was nice and updated. Housekeeping was a little slack with the cleaning and forgot to refill the tea n coffee. The location didn't bother us as we hired scooters during our stay and caught a tuk tuk into town at night. The rides home in the tuk tuk were a laugh and well worth the 300 bht. The hotel was lovely and peaceful during our stay and a must during your stay is to have a swim with the baby elephant Rai Rai which is just up the hill on the left hand side on the way bacK into town. An experience I certainly will not forget. Enjoyed our stay while here.

Room Tip: Pool access all the way.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Merlin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!