This hotel is excellent, it is in a secluded area of the Island, and the grounds are huge. It has its own beach also, however due to the amount of wildlife (loads of small crabs), and crashing waves, the beach is not ideal for sunbathing. However there are three huge pools, and these are really clean and well maintained.
The rooms are starting to show signs of age. They are very comfortable, but will need a refresh before too long. Each room has a small balcony, and there are a few rooms with sea views, but most do not have a sea view.
The service is excellent from the staff. Our only real gripe of this hotel is the food. Breakfast was a bit of an ordeal, as none of the food is covered, and there seems to be not attempt by the catering staff to keep the bugs off the food. I saw a large bug crawl out of the pastry basket one morning, and another go straight towards the cereals! Yuk. There seemed to be lots of wildlife in the food, so you had a good chance of some protein even if you were not planning on it. We therefore ate the few bits of food for breakfast that looked safe-ish. We did complain about it, but they just said that is how it is done. I have been to Thailand three times, and am aware that hygiene is not as good as we are used to, but this was a bit too far!
The only other problem with this hotel, is that it is set away from the main resort of Patong. This may suit you, if you do not want to go there much, as there is entertainment on an evening, and a few basrs to choose from so you do not have to go away from the resort. However we went to Patong most nights, and the tuk tuk drivers will charge you about £2 to £3 to take you to the resort. This soon adds up over a holiday stay. The difficult bit was getting back, as the tuk tuk drivers in the resort will do their best to sting you for a big fare, and will not negotiate much even though they are standing around doing nothing. You have to persevere, and really bargain hard to get a reasonable fare, but it is possible!
Despite this, the hotel itself is good, the facilities are good, the staff are excellent, and if you are only staying for six nights like we did as a stop off as part of a trip, then it is ideal for rest and relaxation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Merlin Beach Resort is a deluxe and luxurious hotel, situated on its own secluded Tri-Trang Beach (3 km. from Patong Beach). Low-rise buildings sitting along the private beach amongst 12 acres of swaying coconut palms and tropical garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Merlin Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merlin Beach Hotel Patong
- Merlin Beach Resort Phuket
- Hotel Merlin Beach
- Beach Merlin Resort
- Beach Merlin Phuket Resort
- Merlin Beach Phuket
- Merlin Beach Resort Patong, Phuket