“Loved the Merlin Beach and patong...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Merlin Beach Resort

You added Merlin Beach Resort to your Saves list
Merlin Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   99 Muen-Ngoen Road, Tri-Trang Beach | Patong, Kathu, Phuket, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #34 of 285 Hotels in Patong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Loved the Merlin Beach and patong...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Merlin beach for two weeks in November; it was our first time to Thailand and we loved it! We had a superior room over looking the pool access rooms which was lovely; all we could hear from our balcony was the fountain at the end. The rooms were well sized and comfortable, looked after well, the air conditioning was great and much needed. The superior rooms do not come with a free safe – you can hire it for 80batt a day, alternatively there are free safes located in reception.

The pool and grounds was lovely, the three pools were great. One word of advice is if you haven’t got to a sun lounger by 9.30am latest you’ll have trouble finding one – they get reserved very very early!! Whilst we were there we say three weddings which were amazing to watch, truly beautiful! One of them even had a baby elephant come out to bless the wedding! The Thai ladies on the beach are great, all very friendly really cheap. For a Thai massage it costs 300 batt for an hour, which works out about £4.30!!! I tried the Merlin Spa which cost a lot more and to be honest there wasn’t really that much difference! The ladies on the beach are also great for getting your laundry done!!

The beach is rocky, but it is great having your own beach, because patong beach can get really busy during the day! As people have mentioned before, the Goodview restaurant at the top of the stairs by the beach is great, the food is so cheap!! We went there nearly every day for lunch. The hotel food and drink is very nice, but they add a 10% service charge and 7% tax to everything so worth bearing in mind.

The hotel being located outside of patong didn’t bother us in the slightest! It costs 200batt each way. Our first night in bangla road was a bit of a culture shock and it took us a while for everything to sink in, i.e. lady boys, ping pong shows, really old men with young thai ladies and the smell of sewerage, but once we sat in a bar with a cocktail watching everyone go by we decided that this is what we love about experiencing new cultures and places, so went to Bangla road every night after that!!!... but it did make it even nicer returning to the merlin beach which was surrounded by peace and quiet.

My only niggle was a couple of nights we were kept awake by screaming aussies drunk, slamming doors and shouting at the tops of their voices which reminded me more of being more in clubbing 18-30s hotel!! I’m only 22 and like to go out and enjoy myself but at the end of the day there is such a thing as respect for others!!

We did lots of excursions whilst we were there, like the fantasia show, elephant trekking, James Bond island, phi phi island and horse riding - a great way to see the island and great fun! I was a bit worried about the weather before I left because every website said heavy showers, but luckily during our two weeks I think it drizzled on and off for a couple of hours and it didn’t bother us in the slightest because it was so hot and humid and compared to England’s weather in November, that’s nothing!!

Overall we had a great time in Phuket and would definitely like to return!

• Liked — the pools
  • Disliked — people reserving sun loungers really early
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Daventry / England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

The Merlin Beach Resort IS too far from Patong to walk into and out !!!!! If you think you might be able to ??? You wont !! Only 3-4 km but the hills make that near impossible. So ALLOW £50-£80 for taxi's during a 2 week stay.( There is a hotel bus which was packed & left @ inconvenient times)

We arrived late lunch time only to be told that our room would Not be ready for upto 3hrs(something that appears to happen quite often reading this site) But hey they had greated us with a Cold towel & a Slush puppy in a champagne flute which was much needed BUT to say I raised my voice & made a bit of a scene may be a little under estimating the truth ?? They offered us a Pool access room(which was available) (but at price £182 of the next 9 nights)Being absolutly knackered & not giving it a lot of thought we took the offer.They thru in a voucher for a buffet meal within the hotel & we went off to get a shower & a sleep.

The Pool access rooms are kind of sexy(if you know what I mean?)BUT unless you spend a lot of time on the patio during the day I would say they are NOT worth the extra. We really only used our to wash the sand off when we came back from the beach & to have a drink or two on before getting showered and stuff(oh yes you can sit on the toilet and see straight on to the pool which is kind of strange)

The Merlin Beach Resort is large with umpteen pools one with a sunken swim up bar. There are a lot of kids & families around most of the pools( but what would you expect)Many of the guests are Australians with quite a few Scandnavians( But if I never see the words Billabong again it will be a day too soon !!) Every where is clean & tidy if may be a little basic in places.There is an on site Nurse 10.00-17.00 daily & a visiting Doctor should he be needed.

Breakfast is vast if a little bland after a day or two but ample fruit juice and omelettes cooked to order(but they start to clear away right on time 10.30 so dont be late) To eat in the hotel is not cheap we did only once(free buffet vouchers)but it all seemed over priced £15 for the house bottle of white.

Our second room was of good standard over looking the pool and sunken bar & sea @ the bottom of the lawns( I would have been happy with it the whole stay. It got the sun the whole day rather like the beach does @ the end of the lawn) All thought the beach is far from suitable for bathing most of the time and the beach is very very rocky( but all the brouchures tell you this)It does get the sun all day the only shade appeared to be the 3 Massage / Laundry shacks along its lenght. We used the beach 5 mins walk left out the front of the hotel( Freedom beach) down thru a shack / bar which I only saw locals use( it did apear to need some work on it) Walked half way along the beach & another bar under the trees did food & drinks oh yes and the sun beds 150 baht.
One day we spent watching a female Russian Movie star !! doing a photo shoot on the beach & in the sea ( very nice).

Patong( by taxi 200 baht )Is too in yer face for me( Like a medium size town on the last saturday before xmas)The bars are every where no I mean every where Most with pretty girls ????? out side ( hello velcome ) But we used Scuffey Murphy the Irish type bar with live music 6 nights a week which did'nt.The food there was also fare priced and of good quality.The taxi back was more than the one there but you had to argue with the driver for the best price.
Karon( by taxi 400 baht ) was much much quieter than it local rival( but stil lhad its girly bars) we spent a couple of nights up there far more relaxing.

So would I use the Merlin Beach resort again?? YES but only if the Patong Merlin was full( its right on the outskirts of Patong BUT within a strolling distance & the standard appeared to be the same)
But in all honesty I dont think I would return to Thailand again, Its very pretty and good beaches and you get used to seeing old european men walking around with young(late teens)Thai girls & boys. But its just NOT for me

• Liked — I thought it would be quiet and out of the hussle & bussle
  • Disliked — It was out of the way and to far away fro the hussle & bussle
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

I must say that on arrival my partner and I were a bit disappointed with this hotel.

Good
- rooms are clean (very simple though, especially the bathrooms, nothing flash at all).
- We had a great Ocean view right at the front of the hotel.
- Big pools.
- Good view restaurant facing the beach on the left up the hill was great and the people are so friendly there.
- Massages just at the base of the path to good view (the proper huts) were great.
- People were swimming at the beach. I never did but it is beautiful to look at and sunsets are lovely. Great to just walk along the sand. The kids were loving the rock pools at low tide. Tip : Go to paradise beach about 1.5k’s away. You can get a taxi there and it is really beautiful. Good snorkelling and a great swing over the water for the kids. The beach across the road from the front of the hotel is pretty good as well. Nice for a long walk.

Bad
- When we arrived after a long flight and car trip they told us our room wouldn't be ready for another hour and a half. (we arrived at 3.30).
- There are lots of children and young families who take up most of the nice parts of the pool. Nothing against kids but if you are a couple I wouldn't recommend staying here.
- Hotel corridors are ugly and old as are the chairs around the pool. Pool area isn't 100% clean (cigarette buts wedged into the table cracks etc)
- I would say if you haven't travelled to many resorts before or been to Bali and have children you will like this hotel. I have stayed at 5 star hotels all around the world and I would say this is the worst. Bali hotels are about 80% nicer. I was expecting it to be breathtaking and it was far from really.
- Many Scandinavian tour groups (didn't bother me but bothers some I know).
- I got food poisoning from the hotel. The one day we ate in I got sick.
- Breakfasts never change. No fresh juices. Soggy French toast and pancakes at best. Ok but nothing on other buffets I’ve had. A lot of choice but poor quality food I would say. My boyfriend enjoyed the Omelettes.
- They are very strict with towel rental as well. You have to spend ages pouring over books to sign in your towels. Quite unnecessary I thought.

I must say from the reviews I read before I left I was expecting an amazing hotel. If you have been to Phuket before and liked it then I think you will enjoy this hotel. It is probably one of the best out of those I saw in Patong. A friendly local I met said “Everyone goes to the Merlin Beach first and then the Holiday Inn the second stay” which probably means something.

If you are looking for a truly outstanding hotel I would stay away from Merlin Beach and Patong altogether because they simply don’t have them. I would consider the Intercontinental in Bali a benchmark for the kind of hotel I like to stay in and this just wasn’t up to scratch.

Don’t get me wrong, I had a lovely holiday and enjoyed sitting by the pool, relaxing, exploring the beaches etc. The hotel just didn’t match my expectations. Couples stay away.

p.s a great restaurant for a special occasion is one called Ba rim pa. It was outstanding.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

This was our third visit to Phuket, second to this resort. We loved the pool access rooms (++) and the general feel of the resort and that's what we went back for.

I had been warned that the number of Australian visitors had increased dramatically - so is this the new Bali? I wonder if the cheaper air travel has lured a different type of traveller to Thailand - badly dressed, heavily tattooed and foul mouthed. The beautiful smiling Thai people deserve better than this. Every traveller has a duty to respect the culture of the country visited, I saw no sign of that from the hoards of Australians in Phuket, and indeed at the Merlin Beach Resort. I felt embarrassed for them.

I've read reviews here complaining about location - get over it. Choose this resort if you don't want to be in Patong. It's only a 200 baht car or tuktuk ride away anyway. Note also that the cars across the street are the same price as a tuktuk and are very reliable. We have used Martin (Thai name Manit) for a few years and his english is superb. He now has a 7 seater 4wd, couldn't be more comfortable for longer journeys.

Overall I would say this is still a lovely place to stay - but not in low season when the potty mouthed low budget travellers are there.

• Liked — Fabulous pools, pool access rooms
  • Disliked — The language of other guests
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

This was our 1st overseas holiday and we wern't sure what to expect. After 3 days in the hustle & bustle of Bangkok the Merlin Beach Resort was a welcome relief. Our agent booked all of our transfers with Tour East, they were great, each day they were at the Resort to book tours & to confirm your flights. When we arrived at the Resort we were welcomed at the top of the marble stairs by one of the lovely receptionists, we were served a lovely cool drink & refreshing towels. As our room wasn't ready we were also given a voucher for a cocktail (very tastey). You have several places to eat at the resort and although the meals wern't cheap it was reasonably priced. One of the restaurants does internationals buffets which cost 650baht per person, but you are given a discount card on arrival which takes 15% off food & drink (not room service), there is a 10% service tax on food & drink. We had room service a couple of nights, the lasagne & hamburgers were nice for a change. Cocktails were less that 200baht & if your smart take advantage of 50% off happy hour each night. My best recommendation is the small restaurant on the hill near the beach, it doesn't look real flash, but the food is delicious & the people were really nice. We ate several lunch and dinners here & for 2 adults & 2 teenagers we paid $30 - $50 AU including drinks. You need to book as some nights they are packed out. We induldged in a massage on the beach, it was really relaxing.
The resort staff were very friendly, the rooms are lovely, we enjoyed the enclosed pool near our room as it was a little quieter then the main pool & the one near the kids club.
Probably the only draw back is the location of the Resort & the fact that it is not walking distance to Patong, but we took advantage of the free shuttle & planned our trips to Patong & Phuket town around the bus schedule.
Just one last thing, we loved the resort, the pools, the staff, the food, basically everything, except we found the beds quite hard.

• Liked — The service & the atmosphere
  • Disliked — The hard beds
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

We have just returned from a 2 week holiday staying at the Merlin Beach - what a fabulous hotel (2 adults and 3 children). It was to celebrate my 50th and also my son's 15th. 3 pools to choose from. A good tip is pay for a deluxe room as they are all deluxe overlooking the 2 main pools. Superior rooms are in the back block overlooking the lagoon pool which also have pool access rooms on the ground floor. Our 2 rooms were near the lift so that was ok and not far for the children to walk to the main pool, The rooms are good and have a balcony. The breakfasts are really good with 2 restaurants to choose from one overlooking the ocean and one overlooking the pool. I was disappointed in the happy hour around the pool bar (only on Tuesdays) but they have happy hour in the lobby 6 to 8 with some terrible live music. The best find was the Good View Restaurant (on the hill just walk to the beach and past the massage stalls and up about 30 steps). The beer is half price to the hotel and what a view, probably the best thai food we ate as well. Be prepared also to pay for a tuk tuk to get into Patong (about 6 minutes) costs 200 baht each way. The hotel has a shuttle but only goes for the evening crowd at 4.45 pm into Patong and then at 9.30 pm. There are 3 restaurants which serve good food but charge 10% service plus 7% vat so it is cheaper in Patong.
Lots of weddings are held on weekends. It really is a fantastic hotel and is very relaxing after the hustle and bustle in Patong. Highly recommended.

• Liked — It was clean and had a view
  • Disliked — It was not overlooking the main action pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

We stayed at Merlin Beach for 10 nights in a deluxe pool access room. The room and the pool were fantastic. It was wonderful having the pool right on your door step. I don’t think I would like to stay at this hotel unless I had a sea view or a pool access room. The other two pools in the hotel were very nice but unfortunately very crowded all the time. By 9.00am in the morning most of pool chairs had been taken and this did not change all day. For us the hotel was too far out of town, we had read about this but did not count on it being as far as it was. You are unable to wonder out of the hotel and do some shopping, go to a supermarket or go somewhere different for a meal without catching a taxi or the hotel bus. The taxi price was expensive and they will not come down, it was 200THB ($7 AUS) each way. The hotel bus was not very convenient as it did not run all that often and at strange times, it was always very busy and you felt like a sardine at times. Overall the hotel was very clean and staff all pleasant although their English was not as good as I’d expected. I would not stay here again as we did not like the location. If you could pick the hotel up and move it closer to town and a swimming beach it would be perfect.

• Liked — The pool access room
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Merlin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!