“Never Again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Horizon Patong Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Horizon Patong Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Horizon Patong Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   64 / 39, Soi Kebsup, Thaweewong Rd., Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Offers & Announcements
Special Tripadvisor Promo
Ranked #75 of 261 hotels in Patong
Craigieburn Victoria
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

Have just retuned from Patong after having travelled there 5 times before (20/06/2007) and was very annoyed with the treatment we received on arrival at Horizon Beach Resort. We had booked and paid for our flights and accomodation in February, and when we arrived on th 10th of June from Koh Samui (Beachcomber Chaweng Beach Beautiful and no problems) we were told that they had overbooked by 20. They would upgrade us to another resort. I was travelling with my parents, who are in their late 70's and can't walk long distances, We booked in to the Horizon for the fantastic location, I had stayed there 2 years prior so i new how good the location was. They wanted us to go to Graceland Resort which was down the far end of Patong, we said no too far. so they take us to Duang something? Paradise on Rat u thit Rd no too far, Patong Resort no didn't want there so we asked for Patong Beach Hotel which is the resort we normally stay well no thats booked out??? so we ask about the sister resort at Karon. WEll yes they can fit us in there, but not once did the Guest Relations girl tell us about all the bloody steps. We put up with it for three days and didn't get the free dinner for three or free massage each that we were promised. After finally getting to Patong we had a fairly good room but would not recommend this resort to anyone. My friend has booked in for her Honeymoon so i hope that she isn't unlucky like we were. I have told her to get her agent to check her booking before she leaves, but they can say what they want over the phone can't they.

Stayed June 2007

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

After reading some reviews of the Horizon on here I was a little apprehensive about staying there, but once I arrived I was very happy. The staff were really friendly and spoke very good English, and my room which was quite cheap in Aus dollars was nicer that I expected. The buffet breakfast was great. The Hotel tends to overbook themselves, and they offered me a room upgrade if I was willing to transfer to the Horizon Karon Beach Resort, which I did and was equally as happy. Karon Beach was a lot more relaxed than Patong Beach and just as nice. I would recommend staying at the Horizon Patong Beach

• Liked — comfort
  • Disliked — not enough channels on cable tv
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mandurah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

our experience with the Horizon Beach
Hotel and Spa at Patong Beach of which we have stayed at before in 2003 and encountered no problems at all but the Karon Beach hotel hadn't been built then.
Firstly when we arrived there after being delayed from Perth and being awake around 14 or so hours We were confronted with a manager who implied we had to move to the other hotel at Karon Beach. After a little discussions and being very tied and not really understanding what the manager was saying we signed a letter or something to say we would go to Karon Beach but felt really upset about the situation. After thinking about it the next day and talking to my son and husband we decided we didn't want to go as we have friends at Patong and the fact that there is not much a karon beach and the hotel is on a hill not near anything. It would cost a lot more in taxis/tuk tuk fairs which we couldn't afford to add to our holiday.I spoke to the manager that confronted us on arrival and told her we didn't want to move as we paid to stay at patong not karon beach and said we wouldn't be moving. She said it was ok and that she would just get
someone else to move instead of us. After that conversation and not having to move hanging over our heads we preceded to enjoy our holiday instead of the stress of packing up and moving and losing half a day or so in doing so.
During our stay many people had the same request some were ask and nothing more said some were told the same as us. and there was others who had no choice to go as they had over booked the hotel and there was no rooms for
them at all. when we found out that people had no choice we then realized
that they were over booking the hotel to get people to go to there other hotel at karon which was build sometime in 2005. So we were not impressed
how they treated people. one group booked 2 rooms but they only had one room which wasn't really appropriate as there was a family of 4 and a family friend (male) so it made is very difficult for them. the fact thehotel argued with them for about 2hours insisting they go to the other
hotel.
Also we found the reception staff not very friendly on more then one occassion. after 3 or four days I found we weren't getting all our water each day so i asked reception and they said no problem. but then we were still didn't get our water each day so asked again and then they were not
very pleasant and said we had, most days we got 1 or 2 bottles of water as there was 3 of us we should have got 3 bottles of water each day. But inthe finish it was just too hard. There was no customer service at all.
I also asked then to recomfirm our flights but even that was too hard to do but they eventually did after about 10mins or so. As i was told by my travel agent we needed to do this i did insist they did it for me and eventually she did
There was also an incident with a glass from the room. The glass broke inmy sons mouth while he was trying to have a drink and they insisted we payfor it. I tried to explain that i wouldn't be paying for it as it broke insons mouth. I ask the housekeeper to get the manager but that never happened and thought no more of it. This happened in the first 2 or 3
days.Then my husband was asked about it as well and he told them the same thing. As no manager came and spoke to us about it we thought it was
sorted.
Too our surprise one of the reception staff tried to stop us leaving on the day of our departure about the glass again told her the same thing but wasn't good enough and there was 2 managers standing there watching this and did nothing. We said the same thing but she tried to stop our luggage
being taken out and also put her hand on me .
I told to her to leave me alone and proceded to leave.
I would have been quiet happy to pay for the glass or anything else if we had broken anything but the fact is it broke in our 16 years mouth which was very dangerous and could have cut his mouth open. Lucky it didn't so when approached we told the house keeper and the receptionist what had
happened but they didn't want to know.
One thing hotel ok pools ok and breakfast ok but would never stay again because of reception staff are rude and trying kick people to karon beach
the secruity staff were great and so were the bell staff

• Liked — pool and location
  • Disliked — rude reception staff
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Adelaide, South Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

Stayed at the Horizon Resort on Patong Beach from the 07/05/07 to the 15/05/07. Reception staff were VERY rude and told us on arrival that the resort was fully booked and that they would ship us off to another hotel at Karon. further, they made us feel very un-welcome.

We persisted and kicked up a bit of a stink and after about 30 minutes got the two rooms we had requested through our travel agent 6 months prior (though they had stated 30 min earlier that the resort was fully booked). Staff at reception were laughing at us as we tried to explain that we were tired and just wanted to get our rooms. They further laughed at us when i suggested that we get the police as i had it documented that we had two rooms for 10 nights at the Horizon on Patong Beach.

The whole thing felt like a huge scam to get people to stay in their sister hotel at Kuron. We actually saw them play this scam on other hotel guests during our stay. I still feel the only reason we got our rooms after being told that they were fully booked was because we cracked a 'stink'. In other words, be prepared to stand your ground with this resort as they will try a few scams on you.

The resort itself was basic and though a great location for probabely the cheapest prices in Patong its just not worth it. The resort caters more for young working class families who don't have much to spend on holidays as the pools were always filled with young kids throwing balls or rough neck parents who are quite happy for their children to splash and dive onto other patrons in the pool. Further, the pools are rather small compared to other hotel pools too. Single people, couples and the aged would be better to spend a bit more money and go to Holiday Inn or the Merlin in Patong.

Further, my AC leaked and was noisy and the rooms often don't get cleaned until the end of the day/evening which can create a problem if you wanted a fresh towel to shower before you wanted to go out at night.

In conclusion, i will never stay at the Horizon again and would not recommend it to anyone unless you want a dirt cheap holiday and want to recieve dirt cheap service. Also be prepared that your room you booked will not be avalble or that you get a crapper room than what you intially booked.

This resort is a scam and the reception staff were the worst i have ever encountered in any of my experience with customer service while travelling.

My advice - go for anyother hotel or resort than horizon - Yer its cheap but there is a reason for it being cheap !!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Horizon Patong Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!