“Amari Coral vs. Merlin Beach Resort: The Amari wins for me!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amari Phuket

You added Amari Phuket to your Saves list
Amari Phuket
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Patong Beach, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand (Formerly Amari Coral Beach Phuket)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
1,000 Baht Dining Credit
Ranked #2 of 278 Hotels in Patong
New York
“Amari Coral vs. Merlin Beach Resort: The Amari wins for me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

After a two day stay at the Merlin Beach Resort just a mile up the road, we spent our last three Phuket days in the Amari.

The Amari sits on the edge of bustling Patong Beach, a few hundred yards away, but that few hundred yards separates the noise and rented chairs of the public area from the Hotel's own quiet, private strip of heaven. Guests arrive through a winding driveway atop a bluff overlooking the beach. Passing through two hotel security points puts you at a large lobby area where you are greeted with cold towel and fruit drink. Our "get away" package came at a fantastic price, included one restaurant meal, and a superior room just 30 feet from the bay. Spectacular!
Although the room was slightly smaller and not as luxurious as the Merlin Beach Resort, it was nevertheless spacious and modern. A shower was standard but lacked an accompanying bathtub. The bed was firm and topped with ultrasoft bedding. Our veranda had two chairs overlooking the bay and downtown Patong.
The Amari had two very nice pools, three restaurants and a number of shops. Unlike the Merlin, the Amari radiates a romantic ambience and intimacy. I saw no children or families during my stay as they all were probably up at the Merlin. There seems nowhere on the sprawling grounds of the Amari that the view of the gardens and sea don't catch your eye. The layout is on a steep grade of hill so be prepared for plenty of stairs. An elevator is available. Each level of restaurants and rooms eventually leads to a private strip of Patong Beach perfect for a swim. A romantic lit brick path extends from the hotel, along the privately owned coastline, for what must be a 1/4 mile and out to a long pier extending into the bay. We saw nobody using the pier or patio, save for the lone bartender there to serve whoever made their way out.
Of the five hotels my girlfriend and I stayed at in Thailand, the Amari Coral was hands down the most romantic. With superb food, breakfast buffet, pools, staff, massage, and views, this romantic hillside sanctuary was heaven.

• Liked — Exquisite views and grounds, oozes privacy and romance, easy access to Patong
  • Disliked — Leaving... :)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Travellin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

This was my third time in Patong. The hotel was OK, but the previous hotels I stayed at were definitely better. I will explain why.

First, the hotel's website advertises a "private beach". The hotels I stayed at previously both had private beaches (where you could lay out and swim) so we all assumed this was the same type of beach. Sadly, there isn't much of a beach, and the water is covered in rocks making it impossible to swim. However, the public beach is about a 3 minute tuk-tuk ride, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Plus the pools at Amari are very nice.

Next, there is NO BUSINESS CENTER? In order to use a computer, you must use the souvenir shop, which has one computer available for use. There was other issues with this situation, which I will get back to later in my review.

There is no iron/ironing board provided in the room. So, I called and asked them to bring a set to my room. They did so. Every single day the housekeepers would take it back while I wasn't there, and I would have to go through this process again, and it drove me crazy. On the last day I was there, I called and asked for one as usual. When they brought it, there was a note attached that said they would come and take it after 30 minutes. Weird policy. Also, there was no toothbrush kit which I found odd. I happened to forget mine in a hotel in Hong Kong and I figured it wouldn't be a big deal because I've never seen a hotel without a toothbrush kit. I was mistaken.

I don't think any of this would have phased me at all if it wasn't for the next thing I am about to rant about. I have never seen such bad service at such an expensive hotel. ESPECIALLY IN THAILAND. The Thai people are known for their hospitality and good service. I have had nothing but great experiences everywhere in Phuket. However, the service at Amari Coral is terrible. When we went to eat lunch, we waited on average about 45 minutes for our food to come out. It would be another 20 to pay your bill. The poolside drink service was no better. My girlfriend and I sometimes waited 45 minutes for 2 drinks. That can be agonizing in Thailand's sun. Also, on my last morning there, I needed to send an urgent e-mail for work. I also had a flight to catch very shortly. I figured that I'd stop by the souvenir shop ("business center") very quickly before I left in order to send it. It was still closed 20 minutes after it was supposed to open. I went back to my room and waited another 20 minutes. As I left for the airport, I attempted to use the computer again. It was still closed. I asked the girls at the desk, and they said that it was supposed to be open, and that they were sure someone was on their way. Just bad service all around.

There were definitely good things about this hotel, too. The location is impeccable. It is about a 5 minute tuk-tuk ride to the main strip in Patong. At nighttime this was very convenient. Also, the view from the balcony in our room was absolutely amazing.

Overall, I definitely wouldn't stay at the hotel again. Overpriced for the value I received. Bad service, very overpriced food (guess that's why nobody eats at the restaurants at night), no beach. There is definitely better places to stay in Patong.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Bad service.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

great hotel-away from crazy life.
great service,food,just everything really.
thanks

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brighton, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

Located at the end of Patong beach, a 5 minute downhill walk or 200 baht Tuk Tuk ride. The hotel is beautifully presented and the accomodation spacious and very clean. Good buffet breakfast catering for every taste to set you up for the day. Happy hours by the pool between 5 & 6pm and in the bar between 9.30 & 10pm. Entertainment is provided most nights and some activities during the day. The food whilst expensive for Thailand is really good quality & plentiful. Try the farewell dinner at La Gritta Italian Restaurant situated overlooking the bay of Patong. For a getaway from the beach or pool sunbathe at The Jetty there are steps directly into the crystal clear sea where fish are visible and a good location for snorkelling. Patong has a natural curved bay with soft sand, plenty of sunbeds and loads going on during the day & night.

• Liked — Comfortable beds & pillows, cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — Wine very expensive but just drank cocktails instead..
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

The location, the food, the rooms, the service of this hotel is excellent. However they do allow smoking in restaurants. Yuk! There are non smoking tables, but unfortunatley people do smoke at ajoining tables. Smoking is also permitted where children play. This was our third visit to Patong Beach and no doubt we will return, but not to Amari until they observe Thai law and ban smoking in food and drink areas.

Stayed December 2008
Louth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Our trip to the Amari, started with a smiling hotel representative guiding us to our private transfer. The driver greeted us with cool scented face towels and drinks. When we arrived at the hotel, we were like two children smiling and laughing with excitement. The hotel is a little piece of paradise! The grueling long haul flight was soon becoming a distant memory. We arrived late at night, so we enjoyed the night lights and scenery over a bottle of wine. The next day when we woke, we went down for breakfast, still in awe at the hotel.
All rooms look out over the sea and the views were just like a picture postcard. The staff are so friendly and smiling becomes infectious. All of the restaurants have a good menu and the food is exquisite. There’s nothing like a soft breeze, the sound of the sea lapping on the beach, and the distant sight of orange lanterns floating in the sky, to set a mood! The crabs on the beach provide entertainment while you chat over your bubbly! We went down to Patong beach where we had our own turn of lighting a lantern and releasing it into the night sky. Very Romantic!
The pools are gorgeous and as you bask in the sun, the waitresses come around with complimentary fruit kebabs and chilled damp scented face towels to keep you cool in the balmy heat. Oysters and Thai massages are also on offer. There are beautiful water features and flowers throughout the hotel, which set a tranquil ambiance. The staff treats you like Royalty and caters to your every need. I recommend a trip to the spa. . it's pure indulgence. The girls in the Spa are so sweet and friendly. I also recommend Cocktails and Canapé’s on the Jetty while you watch the sun set. Even the walk to the jetty is beautiful. We couldn't fault this hotel or it's staff, we could only commend them on what they have done and achieved with the Amari. It really is a little piece of Paradise. If you need an injection of romance and soul enlightenment I would strongly recommend you let the good people in the Amari give you the holiday of a lifetime. Catherine & Noel (Ireland)

• Liked — The Location, The Scenery, The Staff
  • Disliked — Couldn't fault it
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

We have just returned from a two week holiday in Phuket, having spent the second week at the Amari Coral. The hotel was actually better than expected. As in previous reviews, the hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the main drag of Patong, so close enough to walk there but far enough away to be removed from the hustle and bustle.

The hotel itself is built on the side of a hill and is definately not for anybody with walking difficulties of any degree. There is a lift but it only takes you from reception to the top pool, nowhere near the breakfast area or beach.

We went to this hotel to meet up with my parents as a surprise, as my father was celebrating a special birthday. We had booked the holiday through Kuoni and our rep had spoken to the hotel and sorted out champagne, birthday cakes, etc. The hotel also presented my parents with bouquets of flowers and a small cake, which was a very nice touch.

The rooms are nice, good views of the sea and the bay of Patong. The bathrooms are basic but clean. We were in the superior rooms which are right on the beach front and are recommended.

For this area of Phuket, I don't think you could do any better than go to the Amari Coral.

• Liked — Very friendly staff, nice location, good layout of hotel
  • Disliked — The steps
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Amari Phuket? Share your experiences!