“Over rated, Over priced and tired, not what you expect of Novotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Phuket Resort

Save Saved
You added Novotel Phuket Resort to your Saves list
Novotel Phuket Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Patong Beach Road, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Super Sales
Ranked #45 of 260 hotels in Patong
Sydney, Australia
“Over rated, Over priced and tired, not what you expect of Novotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

It's tired. for the money your paying, you expect more, service was average, food was average, would I stay again here, No!. have been to Phuket 4 times before, 4 different hotels, this is at the bottom. tried to use the business centre, to print of paperwork from my laptop, dont even have the ability to wifi it to the printer or the abilty to download the driver. the wifi offered is a joke, been using the hotel next door, fantastic. The view from building block 5 is great, yet they build the reception centre that high it blocks most of the view, walk up 4 flights of stairs to get to it. plus all the hills over the resort, lack of powerpoints in the room to do anything, lights ill fitting or not working. Balcony has 2 chairs on it, that are that hard you wont sit out there more then 20 minutes. We booked in with 2 people, only got 1 access card, Ok we apparently must go everywhere with each other. Once you remove the card power goes off, return to a room that is well above 30 degrees, and takes hours to cool down. Only 4 plus star rated hotel ive stayed at that doesnt offer toothbrushes and razors for their guests. Were in our home away from home, we arent meant to pack that crap. security staff and shuttle drivers are very friendly. In frank I will return to the IHG of hotels, seem to do it much better.

Room Tip: if you dont like stairs, lower ground floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NovotelPhuket, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Mike S,
Warm greetings from sunny Phuket.
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is always good to receive all feedback as it give us the opportunity to evaluate ourselves and see where we can and should improve.
Some areas, we have already started without improvements projects such as the building where you were staying, we have started with adding the elevator to the building, which should be ready soon.
We have also informed our internet provider with regards to the WiFi connection and see how we can improve and offer more services to our guests.
I wished that you have informed our Front Desk or Housekeeping Department on your toothbrush and razor request as we do supply them, on a request basis.
Anyway, I appreciate all your feedback and I do hope that you would come and stay with us again in the future and evaluate all the improvements that we would have made by them.
Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for you future bookings.

1,334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Arrival/Checking In:
My expectations are never sky-high at any hotel. But Novotel Phuket in short blew them completely. Arrival and check-in at the resort was smooth and welcoming. Checking in and being greeted by hospitable staff and a cooling refreshing punch given to you enhanced my already big smile from my unbelieveable first impression on the resort.

Location:
Situated on a stunning hill overlooking the Andaman Sea- in the quieter part of Patong, the resort's location is perfect in being situated away from the hustle and bustle of 'party-central' yet only be a 15 minute walk to the jive of town. Tuk-Tuks do cost 200 Baht but we only used them once or twice just to experience riding on one. The walk to town is nice, relaxing and interesting with the many touters.

Resort:
Gardens and landscaping in the resort are immaculate and the resort's surroundings are unbelievably maintained. The rooms itself are no Hilton or Versace, but instead offer a sort-of traditional Thai setting with decor to match with a contemporary twist. Our Queen bed was comfortable, our room was overlooking the sea and an unbelievable sunset each night and the bathroom/shower was clean and very nice. The rooms also contain a mini-bar with local/imported beers, chips, chocolates and miscelannious items like condoms were also at avail. (haha) Sheets were changed everyday, room made and as a test I left a $50 Australian note on the bed to see if housekeeping would pocket, but with amazement was moved to the side but not stolen - so in other words honest staff !

Food:
The food at the resort is repetitive in ways but I couldn't believe some people's comments regarding it. Each night the resort holds different themed buffets (eg. Italian, Seafood, Asian etc) these buffets we would have to say were one of the tastiest and best we have been too (and this includes fancy, cheap places etc). Breakfast buffet has plenty to offer and yes is repetitive but still well catered and delicious western/traditional foods.

Facilities:
The resort has an on-site gym which has a ranging selection and does its job - we'll leave it at that - I still had daily workouts ! The three pools placed on different tiers of the resort are remarkable and all overlook the Andaman Sea and Patong Town. A massage parlour is on-site but never used. Shop/Internet facilities are available and wi-fi in room as well. Elevators are being installed but most blocks have them.

Staff:
Staff at Novotel were friendly friendly friendly! Santiago was my staff member employee of the month in my books, from checking in he was one of the first people I saw. He helped us with directions, advice and transported luggages to our room - really good workethic and bellboy he is ! Everyone else in general was exceptionally friendly and welcoming and attended to any needs. The resort also provides a complimentary shuttle from the entrance of the resort (which is 200 metres down a hill) to the lobby (200 meters up the hill). A shuttle to Patong's Jungceylon mall is also provided complimentary several times a day.

Cons:
Like anything in life there are several cons.

1. Do not book tours through resort. Like previous reviews they do inflate the price - essentially ripping off unknowledgable tourists. Tours for Phi Phi Island were 3000 Baht at resort but with clever bartering on the walk to Patong town I managed to get a jam-packed trip at 1200 Baht.

2. Do not book taxi through resort. It will set you back 1000 Baht instead of 300-400 Baht on the street.

3. If you are physically weak/elderly do not stay here as it is situated on a steep hill. From lobby to rooms also generally is a walk on an incline.

4. Some costs associated within the resort for various facilities/food are a bit more steep then outside the resort but then again they are a business catering for international tourists.

5. If you complain about the littlest things, don't stay at any hotel and stay put at home! Some of the reviews on this page are ridiculous.

Room Tip: Sea-view rooms are well worth it, utilise free shuttles to city and transfers from entrance to lobby...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear tmold94,
Warm greetings from the Novotel Phuket Resort.
Thank you very much for your really extensive feedback. I am certain that not only that I am grateful of your very detailed feedback, but I am sure all our future guests will be too.
We would love to have you back with us in the the future. Do let me know when you are coming back.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Novotel Resort Phuket

I love this hotel as much as I love Phuket & that's a lot. This has to be one of the nicest hotels in the area with a huge pool, beautiful rooms, comfy bed, good housekeeping very freidly.

3 superb swimming pools. Peaceful accommodation and excellent view because it's on a hill (mini bus is offered). Great location, next to the beach. Friendly staff.

Filipino Trainees is the Best Customer Service I Have? Very Friendly, Very Polite, Good Comunication Skills (Very Amaze to all the Filipono's staff who speak well English, good sense of humor, which make the Hotel and management Run Smoothly and well Organized and easy to understand. which is very important to all the Guess.

The Bell Boys located at the Service Desk are very friendly and helpful they make your day..Especially to 'Chocolate" he is an Awesome Man very helpful.

The Pool Bar Boys Staff\Gils are very friendly and they always make you feel VIP.

The Security Guard Up and Down they make you feel special makes your day start good

In General from the Bottom to the top Service all the Staff are very nice and Friendly good excellent customer service.

Novotel Phuket up the hill was a brilliant place to stay, friendly staff and the best views!! Didn't want to leave. Close to everything.

Room Tip: Ask for block 5, near the hotel main entrance, and ask for a sea view

Room Tip: Ask for Block 5, near the hotel main entrance, and ask for a sea view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trisma,
Warmest greetings from sunny Phuket.
I am delighted to read your comments of our resort. Thank you very much for all the kind words and I am truly glad that you had really enjoyed your stay with us.
I have shared all your comments with the Front Office Team (Front Desk, Bell Boys), the Housekeeping Team, our Security Guards and also the team at the Pool Bar. It really serves as a great motivation to them. They were all smiling and happy to hear each word from your comments.
Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your future bookings at the Novotel Phuket Resort. My team and I are all looking forward to having you back with us.

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Big rooms, we loved local decoration. Excellent breakfast (we loved the strange local fruits). 3 superb swimming pools. Peaceful accommodation and excellent view because it's on a hill (mini bus is offered).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
NovotelPhuket, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Pelazi,

Thank you very much for your comments.

Being located in a tropical country, we do our best to introduce the local culture and also a number of local tropical food and fruits to our guests to experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel Phuket Resort and please do not hesitate to contact the hotel for your future visits.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Fantastic location! Far enough away from the seedy part of Patong Beach. Amazing pool, gorgeous rooms with fantastic view. Accommodation came with complimentary dinner and massage. Massage was disappointing as it was to be for 1 hour and only went for 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view - they are breathtaking. Make sure you get the full one hour on your mass...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Lisa G,
Sawatdee Krap and the warmest greetings from the paradise island of Phuket.
Thank you very much for your great comments of our resort. Our location is one of our strongest asset and being away from the hustle and bustle of Patong, but at the same time still close to where all the action is, is one of our best feature.
I have shared your comments with our team and the Massage center and instruct them to be more clear with their services in the future.
You are right, our best rooms are our Sea View rooms as you will get a great view of the Patong Bay during the day and Patong nightlights in the evening. The sunset from the balcony is just stunning.
We look forward to having you back with us soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is our second time at this resort and we love it. The rooms are beautiful, the location is great, the staff are just wonderful. Breakfast was good - the pool was brilliant. We love this resort and the staff - we will definitely be back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear travellingwoodburrys,
Thank you very much for your great comments again and also for returning to the Novotel Phuket Resort again. I am delighted to hear that my team had again met your expectations and had again did what they do best, which is taking care of you.
I hope to see you back here for your third time and I hope it would be soon.
Do let me know of your next travel plan.
Looking forward to seeing you again at the Novotel Phuket Resort.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a very good hotel.

Pros: Great location, next to the beach. Friendly staff. Cheap drinks at the hotel bar during happy hour. The hotel owner and his son were very nice to us, and even gave us a 10% discount to encourage us to go on some of the tours.

Cons: There are various day tips that you can do whilst in Phuket. They include: Phi Phi island (lovely beaches & water, but crowded with many boats full of tourists), Fantasia show, and James Bond island. All these day trips are EXPENSIVE. And we booked thru the hotel. But then regretted it instantly, because if you book via the touts/shops on the any street in Phuket, you can get the same trip for 20-40% cheaper. In short, do not book your posh day trip thru the hotel, it is a rip off.

Other cons is that the hotel breakfast is quite boring and small in scope. You get bored of trying the same sausages after a few days. Lastly, they are currently installing elevators, and hopefully it should be finished sometime in 2013. But it was exhausting to have to walk 3-4 flights of stairs all the time.

Lastly, the hotel staff supervisor woman was nasty. We wanted to book an taxi to the airport on our last day. And I rang concierge and asked her to sort it out for me. Instead, they just patched my phone call DIRECT to a local taxi company and expected me to make the booking myself! With the taxi company.

In short. For the kind of money, you pay, this kind of service was not what we liked.

Lastly, Phuket is a nice place. But for the kind of money you spend, I would suggest you seriously consider other places like Cebu in the Phillipines for example. More friendly people, bettery quality beaches, lovely clear water and lots of fish in the water. Yes. If you want a sun & beach holiday, I would recommend you go to Cebu in the Phillipines;

Room Tip: Ask for block 5, near the hotel main entrance, and ask for a sea view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ian0345,
Warm greetings from the sunny island of Phuket.
Thank you very much for your comments with regards to your stay with us.
I have shared your comments with my team to ensure that should there be anything that they can improve, it will be done and I will personally look into these matters.
The hotel does offer organized tours and sightseeing trips through our tour desk. We provide convenience to our guests, where they do not have to search for these themselves and also we provide safety in the sense that all the services that we offer through our Tour Desk area safe and professionally organized, and most importantly, properly insured. And for such reason, they are sometimes priced slightly higher that than the street-side tour counters.
Again, thank you very much for your comments.

Shafar Jamaludin | General Manager

Been to Novotel Phuket Resort? Share your experiences!