“Enjoyed our stay at the Novotel Phuket Vintage Park” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Phuket Vintage Park

You added Novotel Phuket Vintage Park to your Saves list
Novotel Phuket Vintage Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 Rat U Thit 200 Pee Road, Patong, Kathu, Phuket, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 40%
Ranked #17 of 285 Hotels in Patong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Townsville, Australia
“Enjoyed our stay at the Novotel Phuket Vintage Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Relatively new accommodation, one block from beach and close to markets, good restaurants etc. Buffet breakfast was nice, swim up bar sensational, rooms modern and clean. Only downside was slow Internet.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gold Coast, QLD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here for eight nights in August. I'll start by saying we were aware of the ongoing construction work, however requested a room away from this. Error number one - we were given room 5301, right next door to the construction! (and a bad room in any event without any view - maybe good for a one-night customer, but for someone who is giving you eight nights of their business)? Not good form. After two days of requests, we were eventually moved to another room.

From the lovely foyer sadly, it only got worse. Here is what we found:

Cleanliness - dirty windows, dirty floors, marks on walls, poor cleaning standards. Door tracks full of grot. Mould in bathroom. Not what you expect in a new hotel. It came to our attention that they clean the room glassware in the bathroom sink. EEK! After ordering a cocktail by the pool, I also saw the staff wash up the jug in tap water, so take care not to get sick (we had no problems).

Fit/finish - Everything looks rushed. Poor painting with brush marks on light switches, etc. Rough edges everywhere. Towel rail was hanging lose on the wall, which I had to punch back in several times during our stay.

Housekeeping - Really bad. At one stage the staff took our room key (that was in the room power slot). It was a big argument to get it back (I could see it on the cleaning trolley) and I eventually gave up, deciding it might be easier to go to reception and ask for another one. It was an argument there too - "housekeeping have their own, they don't take yours" repeatedly told to me. Half an hour later, I got another room key. The room cleaning was always poor at the best of times - amenities like towels and toilet paper was a hit and miss affair - something was always forgotten. Cue up more arguments as staff immediately thought me stealing the towels could be the only reason why I would be asking for more. No lavatory paper was left on one day. On another, they accidentally dropped a glass water bottle. Not an issue in itself, but because the cleaning was so poor, so was the cleaning up of the smashed glass. My wife walking barefoot to the pool the next day ended up with a piece in her foot.

Room - See fit/finish above. Also, on one day the shower totally blocked up. I called maintenance, but of course (as expected really) nobody showed up. 1/2 hour later (waiting for a shower) I decided it was easier to just do it myself. I unscrewed the drain cover to find what looked like a year's worth of hair, body oil and cigarette butts. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, covered my hand with a plastic shopping bag and picked it all out. (Enjoying your hard earned holiday yet?) After that, I enjoyed a nice shower, but nobody from maintenance ever showed up. Following on from that, I don't know if the hotel even bothers to have a smoking policy (probably not), but if they do it certainly is not enforced - nor do they bother to clean/fumigate the room if there is a deviation by a previous guest (no surprise really - see "Housekeeping" above). The room absolutely stank of stale cigarette smoke and took days to clear. The balcony door broke and would not lock at one stage. After the shower affair, I didn't even bother calling maintenance - I spent 5 minutes fixing it myself which was time well spent. The walls are paper thin as others have said, you can hear even low level talking and the safe buttons being pressed.

Staff - From "Room" and "Housekeeping" above, you probably get that some of the staff are not so good. We were not given our free and half-price massage voucher on check-in, and only became aware of this after talking to another guest. We requested this and (after 15 minutes sitting at reception explaining that we didn't receive it) were finally were given it. However the spa would not honour this because it was more than 48 hours after checkin. Cue up yet another 15 minutes in the spa trying to explain that we were only just given the voucher, then another 15 minutes at reception again trying to explain that the spa would not honour the voucher. An hour later it was finally resolved.

Some staff are great, it just depends. I assume it is a training issue.

Pool - Lovely pool. It really is and I'm happy to give credit where it is due - unfortunately it was a little crowded with not enough sunlounges at busy times. There is also very loud music played from the pool bar which can be hard to avoid. Also (just to note) the kids' pool is right near a lot of the sunlounges meaning sometimes (due to crowding) you can only get a lounge near squealing, splashing, running kids. It could be easily solved.

Construction - It can be more intrusive than you might expect. Over our stay, one or two people ground up enough concrete with a 2" angle grinder to totally demolish and rebuild the hotel! It was incessant! I guess that explains why it is taking so long to complete then... Building works continue late in to the night - up to 10PM sometimes. At the pool they play booming, obnoxious music trying to cover it up. With the loud music and construction noise fighting over the top of each other and getting ever-louder, at one point I was almost driven to the stage where I would have throttled anyone within a 5m radius.

Fire safety - Now for the serious one - marked fire exits are not in operation yet. Our nearest exit (as marked on the room door) was not operational, and blocked off by a solid plaster wall. I could see the stairs behind a louvre, but there was no way out other than through the main entry. It was a major worry! I would have though Accor would at least maintain international standards in their resorts. I have a video of it, which I'll upload to YouTube and post the link.

Food - Poor as well. Breakfast has a good selection, however most of it is cold or been sitting there too long. On one day, I saw a waitress filling a table milk jug (there are milk jugs for coffee/tea on all the tables) with left-over milk from the previous guest. I made sure all further milk I needed was obtained myself from the buffet and not the table jug, although who knows where that was refilled from?

Okay - so what now? Well, but not for the above, it could be a nice hotel. The discount at present is such to adequately compensate for the construction work, however it is still a bad hotel and no discount changes that. I would at least expect fire safety standards to be in place, let alone everything else.

If you want to exploit the facilities at a good price, go ahead and stay there. Just ensure you get a room that is near the main entry to ensure your safety. However, if you are after a relaxing holiday (which is what Phuket is all about) then stay well away. It will not be a relaxing stay. Novotel/Accor could reimburse the entire stay, however they can never reimburse two of my precious measly four weeks annual leave I took for a supposedly relaxing time. Not worth it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 8 nights, overall the hotel is good, with some minor glitches.
The philippino staff on a secondment were very friendly and helpful. In particular Rachel who made every effort to remember were checking out very early (4am) and ensured we had a breakfast snack box prepared even though it was her day off prior to our check out. It was important as we had children and finding food at that time of morning would be difficult. The snack box was very basic bread and butter, no knife for the butter, apple, mandarin and a muffin. Tosh was also super friendly and made an effort to canvas the patrons every time. Katy who was at the tour desk was really helpful too. On my previous visits Thais have always been friendly, this time I could feel a real difference, their service standard had dropped considerably, they were not as helpful and friendly.
The rooms were a nice size, the shower unit was huge although the fixtures looked a bit rundown, too bad they didn't install a bath tub. They do need to control the ants infestation in the rooms. I'm sure many people bring food into hotels but somehow it's still controlled. I opened up some towels and ants were crawling around. Housekeeping was a little inconsistent, some days it would be really clean on others it looked like a really rushed job. Our glasses were washed in our sink and then placed on a face flannel to drip dry on the edge, so my son accidentally knocked a glass onto the floor, before I could move them.
They gave a complimentary 15 min massage which was great, but it was really expensive otherwise....around thb 1500 per hour when you can get it around the hotel for less than thb500.
The pool was great, big size with a swim up pool bar wanted to try the food as it looked yummy. The kids loved it, not the usual boring rectangle pool.
Hotel location is good, no need to get a taxi everything is close by.
It's great if you have children as they do not charge extra, the couch was already made up on our arrival and the bed was huge. Good for a family of four.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

When we arrived we were told the family room we had requested was not available yet. This was sorted out by the next day and we were given 2 connecting rooms instead which was good. The hotel is very new, rooms are lovely and the pool is good, even if it did turn my hair green. BUT, if you are looking for a relaxing Phuket holiday with great service and lovely gardens, restaurants etc this is not the place to stay. The food was very ordinary, hot breakfast was served cold, dinner very bland. There are no gardens whatsoever giving the whole place a very sterile feel. The staff were very nice although they were very few and far between and they were definitely not trained properly (not their fault). Maybe in five years time this might be a better place to stay. We would rather stay in one of the beach front hotels next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at the Novotel Vintage for 2 weeks in August. It was amazing. On arrival we were pretty excited to check in as we had a pool access room. We were even more excited to find the room also had a bath and a private jacuzzi that you can sit in on entering the main pool. The rooms were clean the staff very friendly and the restaurant food great.
The swim up bar was always a huge hit around 3 & 4 pm. I took advantage of a 50% discount on the spa treatment and that was heaven.
If I had anything on the negative side to say about this hotel it would be housekeeping was a little slow on delivering additional towels at times. And the only improvement to enhance ones stay here could be a deck chair to lay on in the pool access area would have been fantastic. Other than that we will rebook again.

• Stayed August 2012
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed for 8 Nights with wife and 2 year old daughter during mid August for a relaxing family holiday. Was planning to stay at Holiday Inn Patong as it seems to get rave reviews for families, but was persuaded to go with Novotel Vintage based on a Red-Hot Accor members special price promotion on a Swim Up Suite (i.e. ground floor room with direct access to pool and your own little jacuzzi area)... Knowing that it was a new hotel i expected there would be some teething problems (thats the trade off for getting such a good price) - and there were some. The rooms themselves were large, nicely furnished and comfortable. The front line staff were fantastic, very friendly and had great attitudes, but they were obviously well under resourced (a management issue), as most requests took half a day to get actioned, or required multiple requests....The other big concern as others have mentioned on TripAdvisor is the polished tile floors in some of the common areas around the pool (especially around the lift on ground floor and in the pool area toilets). They get really slippery with all the water from the pool and am sure they will soon be dealing with a guest with a broken hip (if this hasn't already been the case). On the upside, the massive pool area is a big drawcard, and the 2 for 1 Happy Hour(s) at the swim-up pool bar between 4-6pm was simply awesome. The Childrens PlayRoom was simply a room with some nice new toys and a TV. Apparently they have a planned activity schedule for the room but we didn't see anything going on in there the entire time we were there, and we just used the room sporadically to give our daughter some variety and a break from the pool! Food in the restaurant was above average and prices not too bad for a hotel either. Particular mention has to go out to all the young Phillipino staff in the restaurants and bars who are there on a 6 month placement as a part of their Hospitality course - they made our familys stay hugely memorable! Lastly, the hotel is a 5 minute walk to the beach, but after seeing what has become of Patong Beach we decided that the hotel pool was a much better option.

Room Tip: Ground Floor Swim Up Suites are worth the convenience and mean you don't have to deal with the s...