“Good location, Clean hotel and friendly staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Patong Hemingway's Hotel

Save Saved
You added Patong Hemingway's Hotel to your Saves list
Patong Hemingway's Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   179/95-98 Soi Sansabai | Patong Beach, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Special Price
Last Minute Promotion
Ranked #19 of 261 hotels in Patong
Ashdod, Israel
“Good location, Clean hotel and friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I had good stay in this hotel.very friendly staff. good service. I requested extra bedding for good sleep due to hard mattress.I wish rooms were bigger because had not enough space for my luggage bag. I would suggest hotel to find more covenient place for toilet paper holder. Also i suggest make water barrier below the shower curtain so the water not run out of the shower space.
I liked the small and clean roof top pool and sitting area.
I would stay here again in future if i visit Patong.

Room Tip: i recommend to book city tours and airport transfer to airport. Very friendly driver and comfortable...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Patong Hemingway's Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear 620Uriel,
Thank you so much for your review, It is so useful for us to receive comments on how we can improve our hotel so many reviewer do not let us know the things they did not like.so we can make changes. With regard to the firm mattress unfortunately many of our guests prefer a firm mattress rather and being too soft. However prospective guests reading this review should note that if you find the mattress too firm they hotel would be happy to provide additional softer bedding. The hotel is considering installing just as you suggest a barrier below the shower curtains. Part of our problem is also the very strong water pressure from the shower which is always a plus point with many guests, I am sure we will come up with some compromise to solve this problem. Thank you once again for such a useful review.

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Patong Hemingway's is a great little hotel, having just checked out I can say this is a very clean well managed Hotel. Reception staff always greet you with a smile, room attendants very friendly and the rooftop pool area ( not many people use it ) is a nice place to relax, gets sun from 07.30 in the morning with a cool breeze, the fellow at the pool bar was very polite. All in all this is a little gem hidden in Soi Sansabi that needs to be looked at if your staying in Patong. Well priced and close to Soi Bangla.

Room Tip: Roof top pool area
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Patong Hemingway's Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Mark C,
Thank you for your lovely review. We like to think that our Patong Hemingway's Hotel is a home from home, The owners and the management encourage our staff to be friendly and polite with our guests. The hotel's location is certianly a plus point very close to the night life in Soi Bangla yet queit peaceful. As always the roof top and pool bar is a great little hang out place. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review. Its good to know that regular contributor like yourself enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again.
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

In the reservation process i were in contact with the hotel and recieved quick and helpful replies. So i made the reservation at their website and looked forward to arrive at the hotel.

When I did arrive they could not find my reservation. The reason was that there is two hotels with almost the same name. One is named "Hemingways Hotel" and the other is named "Patong Hemingways Hotel", and its easy to confuse them ith such similar names as they are both located in Patong.

I were determined to stay in Soi Sansabai and both the receptionist and the assistant manager (i believe thats his title), could probably notic my disappointment when i found out i had made the reservation at the other place due to the confusing names. They therefor straight away told me i could cancel the stay with no penalty if i wanted, and at the same time they began to look for possible available rooms where i wanted to stay. It was tricky due to that tjey were neatly full. After some time they found a possibilty in the back. I were so glad for this, but they kept looking until they were able to find me a room overlooking the street!

Not often do i experience this kind of customer service and helpfulness with small hotels when they run full anyway. And throughout my stay for 5 night i experienced the same, with nice smiles thrown in.

The rooms are spacious and have all you would need for as stay in Patong. The small pool on the roof (not for swimming, more for hanging out in) is rally nice and its a great place to lay down and get some tan if not going to the beach.

I tried the restaurant for lunch, and it was good enough but as i enjoy food with more of a street food feeling to it i did only eat there once. What i did like with the meal i had was that it was very spicy (thai spicy you coulds say), for tourists who do not enjoy really spicy food it could be a good idea to tell them when ordering you would like it not so spicy.

The receptionist who work most daytime shifts (nickname: Bloom?) is excellent and ar helful above and byond what you expect. So is the assistant manager who i did not get the name of. The receptionist at nighttime i did not meet so often, but the one time i needed some help she was very helpful. The cleaners of the rooms did a spot on job.

When i back in Patong, this is definitely whwre i will stay. Just got to remember to make the booking at their correct hotel next time :-).

Room Tip: There are rooms at the back facing a building, perfect for those who like it quiet and dark enough t...
Dear Kjetil_Nordbo,
Thank you such an excellent review from a regular contributor to Tripadvisor is an extreme compliment. I am so glad our assistant manager managed to find you a room at Patong Hemingway's. For future guests reading this review please note we have two hotels with the name Hemingway's. so its easy to get confused when making a reservation if you intend to stay here the name is Patong Hemingway's Hotel located just off Soi Sansabai. We are sp pleased lthat you found our reception staff helpful. The Sun deck with bar and dipping pool as I call it is a favourite place of many of guest who like to unwind and get a Tan. Thank you for your review. As all reviews it will be posted for our staff to read.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Nice little hotel, quiet but just moments away from all the action along Bangla Road.

The roof top bar by the pool has a great happy hour deal - 99 baht for all cocktails from 4-8pm. Great if you just wanna hang out with friends in a quiet place.

The corridor smelled a bit, but rooms were made and towels replaced daily. The receptionist wasn't the most approachable, but the other staff made up for it. The breakfast spread was sumptuous. I enjoyed their Thai dishes more than their western ones though.

Airport transfer is 800 baht each way for 1-2 persons. Their driver showed up promptly and got us safely to our destination.

All in all, a good place to stay in if you're on a budget. Their location more than made up for their shortcomings.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Patong Hemingway's Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Jean H,
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many of our Guests mention that the location of the hotel is excellent being near to everything important and yet in a quiet location. Sorry to hear that you found our receptionist wasn't the most approachable. We are continual motivating our staff using the reports on TripAdvisor and the other reviews. I am sure yours will be brought up at our next briefing. As we do encourage our staff to be friendly and helpful. Again thank you for taking the time to write your review. And we hope to see you stay with us again.
Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

It was a great experience and the only thing i can complain about, was the fact that the hotel forgot to pick me up in the airport as agreed and confirmed by mail.

BUT.. I really liked the hotel.

Great Pool on the roof
Pool bar with happy hour
Good room
Shower with good pressure on the Water
Good and fast internet
Good breakfast in the restaurant
Helpfull reception

I will come back

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view, otherwise you will face another Building 1 meter from yours. In my case...
Dear Roca_dk,
Thank you for your very kind review, I do apologize for our lapse in not meeting you at the airport, I wonder if you could kindly contact me directly through the hotel email and then I can investigate the cause of our failure. I am so glad that you really enjoyed your stay with us. I think the tip that you gave regarding the room with a view is a sensible suggestion. We do have many returning guests who prefer to be put in room not facing the street as its away from the sun glare and a little quieter as they like to sleep late,
Georgetown, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I am a regular visitor to Phuket and have stayed in several hotels there, many yet to be reviewed. Aside from a few, I find most to be quite lacklustre and uninspiring and also, in many cases, way overpriced for what they offer. Hemingways Hotel, just off Soi Sansabai, in Patong was however a refreshing change.

Starting with that location, many people visiting Patong will like to be near Soi Bangla (the central hub of Patong nightlife), near restaurants and also near to Jungceylon, the central and best shopping mall which also houses banks, eateries and even a multiplex cinema showing movies in English. The problem with hotels that pitch themselves too close to the hussle and bustle is noise, and downtown Patong has hussle and bustle up to 6am! I’ve stayed at a few hotels in that area (little more than glorified guesthouses really – but often charging top dollar prices) and the noise, especially from TaiPan Disco which doesn’t close until around 6am, can be horrendous, ruining any chance of a peaceful night’s sleep. Hemingways is pretty much half-way up the length of Soi Sansabai but tucked up around a corner, shielding it from the noise completely. Outisde the front of the hotel there is plenty of parking for motor bikes, often the preferred mode of self-transport for tourists, if they even bother. Here there really is no need as it’s in walking distance of everything. From the hotel it’s about a 3 minute walk to Soi Bangla, 5 minutes to Jungceylon and around 10 minutes to the beach. There is also a 7-11 on the corner near the hotel, great for topping up with toiletries, snacks and bottled water.

Inside the hotel the reception area is clean, tidy and functional with pleasant and welcoming staff. Check-in is a very painless process. It’s good to see the hotel doesn’t have the same sprawling reception areas that some hotels seem to favour. This allows the hotel to make much better use of its real estate with some very tasteful seating areas, a fully functional restaurant and a bar.

The food at the restaurant I found to be very good and very reasonably priced with a wide and varied menu ranging from Western classics to traditional Thai fayre. The restaurant is also very tastefully designed and furnished, definitely a place you can linger either to eat or for a few drinks. You can also grab a very decent coffee in this area and it’s easy to sit and chat with other guests here, if that takes your fancy.

On the subject of drinks, the hotel also has a superb pool and bar on the roof from which you can get great views over Patong. This area is open all day until 10pm and you can also order food from the restaurant to eat here. Drinks are very reasonably priced and occasionally the owners will hold themed evenings and barbeques here for the guests. The pool is a good enough size with several loungers for relaxing in the sun if you don’t fancy the beach and this bar is great for a few beers before heading out, or even to spend the night if the glitz of Bangla gets to you too much.

The rooms I found to be nicely appointed and decorated with large comfortable beds, TV, fridge and room safe. There are 8 twin bed rooms and 16 double bed rooms. The rooms also all have effective air con. The rooms are cleaned well, daily, and the bathrooms are well appointed with free toiletries. The hotel also provides 2 bottles of mineral water FOC daily.

Hemingways is a gem of hotel in the heart of Patong IMO with a brilliant location and superb friendly staff. Another benefit is that the owners also have several other businesses in the area including the exceptional ‘De-Lish’ restaurant, ‘Heroes’ Bar in Soi Bangla (great for a few relaxing drinks without the full-on Bangla experience) and ‘Penetentiary Bar’ in the Tiger Complex (again, Bangla) when you fancy a bit more action, and you will often find the owners at these establishments later in the evenings, great to meet up for a chat, a few drinks and the low-down on Patong has to offer. The fact that the hotel manages to occupy one of the few quiet spots allowing a peaceful night’s sleep is an added bonus. Well worth a visit IMO and I would have no hesitation in recommending Hemingways to friends.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Patong Hemingway's Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Pick_of_Penang.
As a Senior contributor to Trip Advisor, I was so pleasantly surprised to read your excellent review. I think you have covered about every aspect giving full information to our future guests who read your report. Thank you again. I am sure at my next meeting with staff they will be delighted to hear your comments that you found superbly friendly. In addition I thank you for giving information regarding the owners having several other excellent restaurants.
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Have now visited the hotel three times and will definitely be going back. It is a modern hotel right in the centre of Patong Beach but in a quiet cul de sac so away from the noise. The hotel has well appointed rooms and a great roof bar and pool. Just the place to relax for a leisurely afternoon. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. Steve, the owner, is attentive and nothing is too much trouble. Pick up and drop off at the airport are well organised in a modern minibus. The food is good and not expensive. If you are looking for a good, clean hotel in the heart of Patong then Hemingway's is definitely for you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Patong Hemingway's Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear JRT 1953,
Thank you for your review,and your excellent recommendation. Reviews such as your are a good motivation for our staff. We like to give them a pat on the back when we receice reviews and also point out any adverse comments. We appreciate your time taken to submit this review. We hope that you will stay with us again soon
Victor

Been to Patong Hemingway's Hotel? Share your experiences!