“An honest review of APK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of APK Resort & Spa

You added APK Resort & Spa to your Saves list
APK Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   198 Pang-Muang, Soi Kor Road, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #205 of 278 Hotels in Patong
Perth, Australia
“An honest review of APK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

When I booked this hotel I made sure most of the reviews were good, however I checked the reviews around one week prior to arriving in phuket and I became worried that the hotel would be a complete disaster, that the hotel staff would be horrible and that it would ruin my holiday.

On the day of checking in we had NO problems AT ALL!! Everything was fine, the staff were friendly and spoke good enough English.

There are only a few minor things I think you should consider before booking this hotel....

1) They do not have safety boxes in the rooms, you have to leave your belongings at the reception, which I didnt like as I feel better leaving my belongings in the room.

2) There is nothing at all wrong with the breakfast however if you like a big breakfast and usually eat it at around 9 / 10 am, you will be waiting for around half an hour to get around the whole buffet as you have to wait for quite a while for them to cook eggs etc. I never eat a big breakfast just usually fruit etc however every morning I would have to wait around 1/2 an hour for my partner to be able to sit down with his breakfast as it gets very busy. Most days it is extremely hard to find a seat (This would most prob only be in the high seasons).

3) If you frequently book morning flights to your next destination DO NOTTTTTTT!!!!!! and I mean DO NOT rely on the staff at reception to give you a wake up call. Out of the 5 wake up calls we asked for we only received two of them, I am not even sure we would have been on time for our flight if we did not stress to the staff at the front desk that we had a flight to catch and we hadnt received wake up calls on previous mornings.

Overall, all of the staff were totally fine except for a couple of the breakfast staff. I had no other problems what so ever. A few power cuts now and then but it is common in Phuket.

The rooms asre HUGEE!!, very spacious and they stay quite cool during the day. Also if you are into the nightlife etc the location is very good, just behind Jungceylon and very close to the beach, only 5 / 10 min walk.

TOUR BOOKING ADVICE ETC:
We have been to Phuket 3 times and have hired mopeds, booked day trips etc from the same lady everytime. If you are interested in booking a few day trips or hiring a moped ask someone where the ASPERY HOTEL is.... it's a small hotel but go through the small lane way and look for ' ANDAMAN RELAX TOUR ' (across from Aspery hotel). The lady that owns the show speaks very well English and will give you an honest deal on all day trips, many people go back to her time and time again.

I don't think I would stay at this hotel again but I have given a truthful opinion and I do not agree with the majority of the previous posts about this hotel being horrible etc however everyone has a different experience I guess and ours wasnt that bad at all.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

Check in the first day and witnessed 2 incidents of Front desk staff quarreling with customers. The staff were mostly unable to speak and/or understand English which in my opinion caused all the misunderstanding. In one of the incidents, when customers requested for refund of booking of vehicle they had booked , after much negotiation, the staff returned their $ and chased them away from the counter.
Checking in was a nightmare. Very inefficient and unprofessional.Only the manager could use the system. The rest of the staff could only stand and wait for the manager to process the keys and paper work, while the queue continue to form. What made it worst was that the front desk staff were always pulling a long face. Throughout my 4 days stay at the hotels, only those who really knew and understood English were able to smile and there were only 2 staff including the managers base on my observation.
Bad experience for me: Have tried to book a taxi to the airport on the evening before my last day there. The "super long face" staff told me to come back later, when I told her that I would be back late and may not have the time and resources to make my own booking by the time I returned, she was very unwilling to make the booking, for whatever reason she had which was not made known to me. Finally, I got my confirmation of booking for the taxi when I approached another hotel staff who could understand English. What puzzled me was that she insisted that I could not understand English when all she could tell me was,"1 hour(with a big full-stop)". What a joke!!

For those who just want a clean n comfortable room, it's a good place to stay.
For those looking for more service, forget about it! Go somewhere else who can offer you a much better service.

Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed @ APK Resort & Spa for 4 nites (from 19/01/2011 to 23/01/2011). Arrived early (11am) but check-in is strictly after 2pm. So we left our luggage in their backrm & came back after 2pm. No welcome drinks were served to us but check-in process was very fast. Full accommodation amount was deducted from creditcard & was told that internet usage is THB100 for an hr.

Location – less than 10min to Jungceylon. Just crossed to the opp & walk towards the direction of Bangla Boxing Stadium. From there it will take about another 10min to Patong beach.

Deluxe Room – Clean, spacious & tidy. Housekeeping was really good. The showerhead in the bathroom must not be turn off to the max else the water will flow beyond the bathtub & dripped into the floor.

Breakfast – Personally thought it was good & you can eat as much as you like.

Service & facilities – The management of APK Resort & Spa seriously needs to look into these areas. Facilities are inadequate. There are only 2 lifts in the hotel & swimming pool water is dirty.

Access card system is poorly managed. The card must be given to the recept if we are going out & collect from them upon returning to the hotel. No issue on our 1st nite but we encountered difficulties in the next 3 nites. Somehow they (or the system) thought we have checked out hence we couldn’t entered our room & need to reset the card.

Regarding its service, other than the friendly bell boy & a female staff, the rest of them simply can’t make it. The finally straw which totally destroyed our confidence in this hotel was the arrangement of airport shuttle. We paid THB700 for taxi shuttle to airport yesterday morning. They have obviously screwed up the shuttle arrangement cos it arrived 20 min late & it was a minivan, not a taxi! The staff needs to understand that reliability is a big concern but there is no way you can even rely on them for simple arrangement.

Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

date of stay : 28.12 - 11.01.2010
1)first of all - the room was very small and the bathroom was like a toilet with a shower on the wall without any kinds of curtains or something so when you take a shower you just stand on the floor and everything becomes wet
2) if you go to have your breakfast in the last 1 hour you probably have some poor remains of food
3) our friends toilet was broken 2 times - they could wash their p*o for 3-4 days and noone fixed it fast (they waited for about 3-4 days every time) and it became stinky as hell they could even use bathroom!
4) the roomcleaners took away our glasses (5 glasses, we bought them in the street shop)
we asked to return them at the receipti 2 times but they didnt return them!
4) checkout day : they gave our friends bill for the laundry with the items they didnt even have such as towell and a bathrobe and the date was 31/12 but they didnt give anything to the laundy on 31/12 and they didnt have bathrobe and a towell at all!!
5) they gave us a bill for a goulash soup which we payed just in time we ordered it
we never leaved anything for the checkout time - we payed just in time for everything we asked such as laundry or food or something - but the thai girl at receiption couldnt understand anything she didnt know english at all - all that she said was "i dont know"
so if you stay at the hotel - save all your receipts and stuff until you checkout - it well help you no doubt
our room numbers was C446 and D558

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

For being 1 year old, this hotel has a lot of upgrading to do. Firstly the staff are unfriendly, rude and not interested in customer service at all. Our room was unfinished, bathrooms flood - no shower curtain. After you have a shower the toilet seat is saturated. We got stuck in the lift between the 1st and 2nd floor for about 10mins on the first night. The staff did not apologise and although we voiced our concerns and there were many, were told they would fix, but nothing was done at all. Breakfast - well where do I start. There wasn't much on offer and they don't replenish the food too quickly. The "egg station" lady flicked raw egg over my son's shirt accidently and she didn't apologise, just looked the other way. Again, staff unfriendly and not helpful.The pool on the roof is dirty and very unsafe. The only good thing is the spa. Ladies very professional and friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

I was having vacation in Phuket from 29.12.2010 till 10.01.2011 in APK Resort and SPA. Everything about this vacation was wonderful BUT the hotel. On the 31st of Dec, the New Years Eve, at 20-00, as we were about to head for the restaurant NY celebration, I tried to leave the lady’s room in our room, but couldn’t – the door was locked and I couldn’t come out! We called for the Staff – but actually we could not call, because the room phone never worked – so my friend walked the whole way to the hotel reception to ask for help. The staff came 10 minutes later and said that “She locked herself”. We said: “OK, we know that! Help me out”!! He said: Oh I don’t have necessary equipment with me and left. He returned in 20 minutes with some instrument which was obviously not enough, as he had to leave in another half our for some additional equipment. After his severe fight with the very light door I was free in an hour and a half to have a speedy run for the restaurant.
Continuing the door issue: As we were going to sleep, or sleeping, or having a daily nap – there was a terrible noise of the doors slamming! Bang! Bang!!! As if someone was making it on a paid daily basis and would lose a decent sum if slams not strong enough!
As we were making a check-out, our bus was waiting for us – but the reception lady could not find the bill of our laundry being paid,- moreover, she was asking some different people from our bus to pay it!!
Additionally, there is not hot water in this hotel at all – it just goes without saying. Actually you should be glad you have water at all – one day we had none from morning till 21-00, and couldn’t basically go to toilet! No need to mention that there was no warning about it! The light and electricity was off during one day completely, too – no air conditioner working, no light, amazing!
The bathroom looks like this: the toilet, the sink, and the douche hanging from the wall – no washing cabin, the bath, just even floor.
The balcony looks like this: 2 people can barely STAND there, shoulder-to-shoulder.
Enjoy!)

Laguna Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Here was the problem with this hotel. They overbooked, and so instead of letting us know that there were no rooms in the main building, they put us in a room located in an incompletely built building (they didn't even bother telling us that until we asked for a room change). The walls weren't painted, and the room door was just your regular plywood door (anyone can break that down, lock or no lock). You can tell everything was hastily put up. Just because you throw in a bed in a room, doesn't make it a hotel room. This place doesn't even fit the bill for a hostel. At least a hostel has hot water, this place didn't. There were also roaches in the room. And service? There weren't any towels in the room, so we walked to the main building to ask for towels, and what did they tell us? "Go back to your room and dial 00 and we'll bring you the towels." Why couldn't they call to have the towels delivered to the room, or better yet, have the towels in the room to begin with? When we did as we were told (call 00 from our room), no one picked up at the other end. We have never been so discontent with a room that we would check out without staying a night, but this was the first time. We high tailed it out there, begrudgingly paying the penalty (though we will dispute it as the hotel was not as advertised). There was no way I was going to stay in a overpriced hostel.
Don't even bother with this place, as safety is another issue. Due to it's location, there were some unsavory characters (my husband saw the man next door walk out in his underwear while having an argument with his GF). Imagine if he decided to knock down your plywood door in a fit of rage...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to APK Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!