“NOT 2 BAD” 3 of 5 stars
Review of APK Resort

Save Saved
You added APK Resort to your Saves list
APK Resort
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   95 Rachapatanusom Rd, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150 , Thailand   |
Ranked #224 of 331 Patong B&B and Inns
Bali
“NOT 2 BAD”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here ova xmas & found there are actually 2 APK Resorts so make sure ur go 2 rite 1 if booking, they both close 2 each other also 5 min walk from each other really. Was dissapointed pool very dirty hotel bar well that was never open breaky not 2 bad room was good just bit run down spa was gr8 on our balcony shame no privacy tho nxt door could c us wen they out on there balcony. but otha wise good I say 3 star wen not under renovations. close 2 Bangla rd & bout 15 mins walk 2 beach. this hotel has a lift as well

Room Tip: ask 4 a spa room they have the nicest views
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

we arrived at the hotel around 12:30 in the afternoon. we asked the receptionist if we can check-in early since we noted on the reservation that we will arrived early, they said there's no available room so we have to wait until 2pm. so we decided to wait at the lobby until there's a room available. but after 5-10 minutes, the staff came to us and said that we can check in already and that she upgraded our room from standard to mini suite. we're so happy of course, who wouldn't want that, right?

The room was clean and it's big. we're so happy with it especially the jacuzzi.:)

When we went back to the lobby again to inquire about any restaurants around as we were quite hungry, we asked another lady there and she explained that they have no restaurants at the hotel and said that we need to walk going to patong beach as there are several restos there, i was a bit shock coz where are they going to serve their breakfast if they don't have a restaurant?! but i just said ok, and then I ask again another lady there who happened to pass by the lobby just to confirm if there are really no restaurant around but she happened to not really understand english well and then the lady at the reception approached me and said in an offended tone that there are no restos around. i didnt talk back as i don't want to get into a nonsense argument. my boyfriend got pissed and then go immediately to the reception desk where a guy staff was there and ask for a piece if paper to complain about the kind of service that we just had. while we were still at the lobby writing the complaint letter, the lady staff approached us again and apologized for what she did, she explained that she just had a bad day and that there are really a lot of things goin through her mind since morning. We accepted her apology and decided to not give the complaint letter anymore. At least she realized somehow that she did something wrong.

I think the staff there at APK needs to smile a bit more, and that they should be more patient with the customers who don't understand their english pronunciation. it really added plus points to hotel customers.;)

Room Tip: room which is facing the patong beach has quite a view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

fact to know for this review: I stayed 5 nights in a mini suit for a rate of 50 USD per night found on agoda.com

summary of below:
hotel is good, but be clever: go there if you have a good price and go somewhere else for dinner. For me, this hotel is only interesting if you look for a good price and you have an activity everyday. If you want to enjoy your holiday by staying at the hotel, I would recommend you go to another hotel (I stayed in 2 others hotel at Phuket/Patong, and if you can afford it, go to Deevana hotel, see my other reviews).
Finally, it is not bad, but not fantastic too. I would go again following my needs and what I want to do in Phuket

positive:
- value price/quality: I thought it was a very good hotel for the price paid, but considering it was a mini suit (I do not think I would have the same opinion in a standard room)
- mini suit has a jacuzzi on the balcony (beeing at the 8th floor where nobody can see you is extremely "exciting" !! especially in Patong!)
- if you tip the staff, they become very nice

negative:
- my breakfast was included in my room price, but I should go to the other APK resort & Spa
- hotel is far from everything, go there if you require quiet and calm. Problem is that you need to take the tuk tuk to go to many places (200 baht each trip unless you are a very good bargainer). At first I walked, but it takes easily 20 minutes to go to the center (bangla rd). The tip I would give: take motorbikes they are only 100 baht
- lift to go to the top floor is slow. Ok, nothing really to complain about, but do not forget anything if your room is at the 8th floor!
- swimming pool? dirty and this is not a swimming pool. But I was diving, so I would not use it in any case
- they will charge 500 baht for joiner (but not for everynight if this is the same after the 2nd stay)
- hotel will add 3% if you pay by credit card

Room Tip: take motorbikes: only 100 baht £(cheaper at least than tuk tuk) as the hotel is far from everything...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Jervis Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

After reading the mixed reviews, my husband and myself still decided to book our stay for 6 nights. Staff are friendly, brekky is average, pool looks more like a fish pond than a pool, BUT our room is more than making up for these minor issues that are easily solved. After all, who would want to swim in a pool when Phuket has so many gorgeous beaches? We will stay here again as it IS great value for money. No way could you get a jacuzzi suite anywhere else on Phuket island for less than $50AUD per night!

• Stayed February 2012
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

when we booked and paid in advance [6 months ] we thought we had the standard rooms shown on the web site ,How ever when you print off your booking # and read the small print you find they also have a hostel and yes we ended up in it . paying up front and lead to think that the ecomny standard room was the standard room with out breakfast . The wet room had a shower that pointed on to the tiolet so you had to hold the head the room was so small there was no floor space for one case and the beds where broken .
A big scam by the hotel and asia rooms the hotel is so over priced with not enough safe deposit boxes for the main hotel let alone the hostel ,the pool is a joke with a straight 7 floor drop with only a flower pot garding it . the place is a dump . asia rooms need to up there game with what thet offer and may be vist some of the hotels they sell i wont use them again

Room Tip: IF you book this hotel through asia rooms or late rooms .com you need to be aware that they have a d...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I am a customer of APK Ton Tong Restaurant and this email is regarding the unpleasant dinner I have just had tonight at the restaurant with my relatives. This restaurant is associated directly and located with the hotel. We decided to try out the authentic Thai menu the restaurant offered. Initially, the Tom Yum Goong that came wasn't too bad, but from the 2nd dish of green curry onwards, everything spiralled downwards. The green curry was too sweet because of the excessive coconut put in and so it tasted like milky coconut syrup with chicken. Still, one or two bad dishes at dinner can still be pardoned should the rest make up for it. Disappointingly, that did not happen. The steamed fish we ordered next at 600 baht was in fact, the worst of the night. Initially, we did not detect anything wrong with the dish and even thought it was good, even though the colour of the fish meat near the stomach looked red and abnormal. Upon further eating however, the pungent smell of rotten fish became blatantly obvious.

I believe everyone has individual taste preferences for food, but it cannot be denied that the fish served was either not fresh or not cooked well, especially after having been tasted by 8 different mouths. When faced with our initial claim that the fish was not fresh, thus the strong fishy smell, his comeback was that their fish was transported to the restaurant every morning, which was subtly an excuse to absolve themselves of blame. Finally, as asked by us to taste the fish himself, he admitted it was inedible and took the fish back. There was no obvious immediate action or apology after that whatsoever, and we were left waiting in silence for some fifteen minutes. Then, we finally asked what they were going to do, and the waitress said that they were not going to charge us for it, and that they were giving us free food, which turned out to be a simple platter of fruits.

To top it off, the bill (1940 baht) was pretty expensive for 2 Tom Yum soups, a bowl of green curry, a plate of grilled squid, spicy salad, pineapple rice as things such as 600ml of Sea Horse bottled water cost us 50 baht each(which is exorbitant) and the rice cost us $50 baht per plate as well(other restaurants charge much lesser, if not none). Moreover, throughout our dinner, the service was slow and the waiters didn't show us much good attitude in attending to our complaints/directing it to the in-charge(and need I mention that the "in-charge" didn't appear nor attended to us again after disappearing with the fish.)

To be fair though, perhaps the only saving grace of the night was the grilled squid with pepper garlic, and perhaps the disappointing Thai fare was not the specialty of the restaurant, which seemed to lean more towards serving Western food, but this cannot suffice enough as an excuse for the lack of quality in both the food and service. The whole experience was simply unpleasant and unpalatable and ruined our otherwise good day in Phuket. Now, I can only hope the fish won't cause us any illnesses and it is safe to say that we will never go back again for the next 5 days of our stay in Phuket till the 31, nor in future.

Though it may not be directly under the hotel, the hotel must still assume some level of responsibility in the problem with their associated facilities. I hope to receive a satisfactory reply and see actions taken about this problem, for otherwise, it will only further show our choice in restaurant was very wrong and further cause the patrons to lose faith. I am truly disappointed and I do have photos as evidence, should the management need some.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed there for 10 nights, the swimming pool is not what it looks like in the pictures, hardly any place to sit around it so that was a let down, apart from that couldnt really complain as the staff are friendly and the breakfast is amazing...so if you do not mind a walk to town and not sitting around the pool this is just fine for the money...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to APK Resort? Share your experiences!