“Super Cheap clean comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Som Guesthouse
52 / 14, Rat-U-Thit Rd. | Kathu, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #89 of 356 Patong B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Super Cheap clean comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I have stayed here twice now, the last time being February 2011. place is always super clean excellent wife and the Korean owner is awesome. The price for 2 people in an air-conditioned room, with own bathroom TV and dvd player was $25 AUD a night. its close to the beach the best outdoor food area is down the road and not to close to the noisy Bangla road. I will always stay here on my trips to Patong

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

This August will be my 7th trip to stay in Som Guesthouse.

My very first time when I was in Phuket, I stayed in a high end hotel that cost me about US$200/ night and my personal belongings were stolen and service was terrible! I managed to find out Som through a very random check from the website. The Korean family that run this place was excellence and many thumbs up.

Both Mr Cha and his daughter, Mary will extend their arm to assist you if anytime you needed any advice or help. Their price is in fact cheaper then many others ranging from rooms, trips and even massage packages. You feel secure and safe at all times of the stays where no words can be describe.

My friends that I have recommended to stay in Som, have always return to Singapore praising and missing our Phuket stay.

• Stayed March 2011
Katowice, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Good localization near bangla and near to the beach. Prices are very good and staf is very nice people. Rooms are clean we where in three different and they where wery nice, clean, fresh whit TV, air condition and safe. Every day u got bottle of water and clean towel. This is very good place to stay in patong.
BEST REGARDS TO MR. Cha :) and Mary :)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

stayed on the 3rd floor(top floor)room with twin bed on 1 Jan 2011.
If you're a packpacker who want a place to bathe and rest this is a nice place good for value.

It's onveniently located towards the north end of patong beach. Restaurants and shops sprinkles its vincinity.
The room was very clean. The beds were comfortable.
It had a mini fridge with 2 bottles of water.

• Stayed December 2010
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

If you are travelling to Phuket please stop by and pay Mr Cha a visit. This was our second time staying there and it was as good as we remembered. Don't get me wrong its not a five star luxury resort but if you are backpacking though Asia and are looking for a cheap, clean, well located room this is the one for you.It has everything you require and is less than a ten minute walk to the beach. And as for Mr Cha I love this guy. He makes your stay worthwhile. He can't do enough for you (he even dropped us off at our next hotel down the road in Kata). We have booked trips through him (not forced upon us in any way) and they have been good value for money. There is also a Korean restaurant and a diving school attached. Thank you Mr Cha. See you next year.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

Unforgettable place! The famous "Mr.Cha" , the Korean old man that also the owner of this guesthouse. With his Korean accent, he tried to introduce me about the room facilities (i remember how he make funny voices, when he explain about the safetybox). He please & treats me like his own daughter. You may find tourist information in here and his son in-law (Mary's husband) also open a diving course if you would like to try ;)

The most unforgettable & Why I love this place, i left my CF (memory card) in the safety box (because of my clumsiness ). I called Mary a week after I left Phuket. In next 2days, she called and told that one of her guest found my CF! And this guy would like bring my CF to me...aahhh Thanks God!

I can tell It's a 5stars Hotel services with lower price!
The room it's neat, the bathroom very clean, the people very friendly and trust me, it feels like home!
You could reach Patong Beach by walk distance less than 5minutes from this guesthouse, and if you looking for food just by walk less than 3minutes you could find Phuket Food Stall everywhere.

So I really recommended this place for you to stay! If you looking place like home, cleanness, and a friendship? Go and stay at SOM GUESTHOUSE!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

We went to Phuket as the first stop on a trip around Thailand and soon realized that Patong is an extremely ‘touristy’ kind of place. If you are going to Patong with the backpacker mindset – short, cheap, and multiple experiences - then Som Guesthouse is definitely for you. If Patong is the location for your annual 2 week holiday, then perhaps you should try a slightly pricier place. For the 4 nights we stayed, Som was excellent. The location is perfect – it’s a few minutes’ walk from the top (quieter) end of the beach, which was great as the other end was a bit intense (too many salespeople – mostly selling tailored suits – that practically chase you down the road!) Everything is walkable in Patong, so you can still get to bars and shops easily from Som.

We had a double room – the downside is that it’s quite small and had no window. The upside was that it had good AC, was cleaned daily with new towels, had a TV, a hot shower, Wi-fi access in our room, and only cost £16 a night. We had a nose in one of the 3-bedded rooms whilst it was being cleaned and it was much bigger (and had a window!), so it might be worth paying a bit more for this if you really need more space. The photos on the website/hostelbookers are pretty true to life.

The staff at Som are lovely – Mr. Cha and Mary are on reception to answer any queries!

Som seemed to be run by the same people as Devils Divers, which looked like it did loads of excursions. We’re not into diving but that could be something for others to take into account!

We also found a fab pool bar on the same street called Tiger with cheap drinks and nice staff which you should definitely try. The street food outlets along the top end of the beach are also great – most dishes around 50 baht (much cheaper than most in Patong)

I’ve based my scores on the fact that this is a HOSTEL, don’t book it expecting 5* luxury!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Som Guesthouse? Share your experiences!