“Best Hotel in Patong” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bliss

You added The Bliss to your Saves list
The Bliss
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40 Thaveewong Rd, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83000, Thailand   |
Ranked #104 of 278 Hotels in Patong
Melbourne, Australia
“Best Hotel in Patong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

From the moment we arrived until we left 3 weeks later, the management and staff throughout the hotel were fabulous in every way, courteous, friendly, always asking if we needed anything and the same for the restaurant and bar staff including the chef. We were treated like royalty and it is truly a 5 star hotel. We stayed in a deluxe suite on the fourth floor.
The hotel itself was fantastic with its large rooms with a beach view to die for from the large balcony and it is extremely clean everywhere, there was always someone cleaning around the hotel. Their amenities where excellent, free Wi Fi, 2 pools, 2 restaurants, great breakfast and great cocktails at great prices. The location is at the South End of Patong far enough away from the noisy night spots, but close enough to all the shops and markets. We enjoyed it that much that we will be back next year to be pampered by the Bliss and relax in comfort.
Pete and Chris

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floor rooms have best sea view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed in the suite section and the rooms are very nice.

Good points are thespace offered,balconies,huge jacuzzis.

Bad points are the incredible hard beds, poor quality towels,no DVD player in room and poor choice of TV stations ( It rained several days so TV or DVD would have been nice ).

Room service food OK but nothing special.

Staff were quite friendly but not in the usual Thai way, not sure why.

Overall a bit more thought and some extra attention to detail would make this a great hotel.

Room Tip: New wing.
Bamberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

The staff was very welcoming when we arrived, but the room smelled like mildew the first night we were here. It went away by the second night, but it was a little disconcerting. Also the room has a bunch of tiny ants crawling around in it. They're mostly just annoying because there are a few of them everywhere and they're so small that they can get into anything. The breakfast was very nice. They had lots of different types of bread, a few cereals, some other dishes and you could order eggs and they'd make them right in front of you. They also have towels for you to take to the beach free of charge. Be aware that if you don't reserve a suite, you will be in the secondary building next-door. They also had internet, but it didn't always work. It was great on my mac, had a little bit of trouble on my iphone, and was lousy on my husband's netbook. It wouldn't even bring up the login page for him; I had to give him the web address so that he could log in and even after that it wasn't too great for him.

The location was good for us because we're not big party people. We were right on the beach and on a fairly quiet street, but still close enough to the busier streets that we could walk to them to visit without having a lot of loud music and drunken people keeping us awake at night.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Well I feel compelled to write a review about this place given the bad reviews I have read on here. We have just returned from a week at The Bliss and had a fabulous time. We had a superior suite on 3rd floor and it was beautiful. Lovely spacious room with balcony overlooking the beach...the bathroom was fantastic, the amount of space was incredible. There was a separate living area with couch, coffee table and flat screen TV with a desk in the corner and a kitchenette. The bedroom was massive with king size bed, dresser, build in robes and another flat screen TV. Plenty of storage space and a safe. The bathroom was huge with massive shower and double Jacuzzi overlooking the ocean. Our whole experience there was exceptional. I read in a review further down that someone was served dirty water in wine glasses upon check-in. I believe it may actually have been some sort of iced tea (as we were served) though admittedly not very flavoursome so could easily be mistaken for water. The staff there loved our 3yo son and were always greeting him with cuddles and bags of cookies!! He loved the attention. Housekeeping was great - never had any issues there.

Things we loved:
The size of the suite - well worth it esp with children. We had plenty of room in the bedroom to have our son in his kinderkot beside the bed.
The location - perfect with beach opposite and still walking distance to night life. There is a 7/11 to the right and a large Family Mart to the left for shopping for essentials. At the Family Mart, they also offer laundry out the front for 50 baht/kg (fairly standard price in Patong and certainly far cheaper than getting done through hotel)
The Beach - a bit quieter than the heart of Patong - this is more the south beach end. Fabulous service with drinks, umbrellas etc. and close to long boats. We recommend a day trip by Long Boat to Freedom Beach (about 15min by boat) - beautiful spot with emerald green water, fab snorkelling and hand feeding the fish. We paid 1200 baht for a return trip.
The bathroom - can't beat that view! We tended to shower with the outside light on at night however as all glass windows (frosted but exposed panels)
Free Wifi in room - had no reception problems at all and spend many arvos on the balcony surfing the net
The pool - loved the pool - same depth all the way along but big enough for the amount of people the hotel accomodates. We pretty much had the pool to ourselves each time we went.
Breakfast - can't believe all the negative reviews about breakfast!! We loved it as did our 3yo!! Beautiful selection of croissants, pastries, toast, pancakes, fruit, various Thai dishes, eggs cooked however you liked, bacon etc. We looked forward to daily breakfast.

Improvements:
Whilst the rooms were great, we did think it was odd that in having 2 big flat screen TVs there was no DVD player? Most hotels have this, and it would've been nice to watch a movie from time to time. Only a minor thing though...

The bed certainly was on the firm side but didn't really bother us too much, we got used to it fairly quickly. Oh and our air conditioner made a really loud noise if it was below a certain temp. We did return one day to find a maintenance man looking at it but it didn't appear to have been fixed.
Also would've been nice to have some detergent and teatowels for washing up dishes etc. We had a kitchenette with tea/coffee making facilities, fridge, pantry and sink for washing up but no detergent or teatowels. We ended up buying some detergent for washing up and using one of the facewashers in the bathroom for drying. A few times though housekeeping had done the dishes when they'd cleaned so maybe they don't expect you to do any washing up??

We would certainly stay here again and thoroughly recommend. Thanks for a great stay

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

It took an hour and four complaints to get the music piping into the swimming pool area to be changed. They were playing a loop of Christmas songs, in March! The rooms are one star at best. Cheap soap in dispensers stuck to the wall in the tiny bathroom. All lights in bedroom are white florecent. So forget about any romantic atmosphere short of sitting in the dark. And when they come banging on your door to clean your room at 10am, do not tell them to come back in half an hour. They will be back the next day instead! What an awefull awefull place. Referred prepaying and getting stuck here for 5 night. And still two more to go:-(

• Stayed March 2011
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

28DEC2010 – 01JAN2011 Room # 324
When you’re shopping Phuket beach front hotels think of the Bliss as two distinctly different properties that share one reception. Superior rooms (2nd & 3rd floors) and deluxe rooms (4th floor) are in the old Seagull hotel building. Suites are in the Bliss building. Seagull is old and worn, Bliss is new and posh. Breakfast and pools are shared; view is great from both buildings. Our third floor superior needed a good cleaning. Lights, TV, safe and mini-bar all worked; water pressure and temperatures were good. The shower head arrangement was devilish; it was a shower wand attached to flexible metal hose that made the water always spray sideways. You had to hold the wand the whole time. It was not an efficient shower head meant for showering. Shower area was moldy and the towels threadbare. Bed was fine, pillows miserable. The pool in front of the Seagull is small with room for about six deck chairs and you feel like you’re in the carpark. We never saw anyone stay there for more than fifteen minutes. The Bliss pool is long and very narrow, maybe 20m by 3m tapering at the ends to 1m. You can do laps in this pool but one end is very stinky from a drain cistern that has a busted cover and the pool water left a weird taste.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

I have just stayed at the Bliss hotel for 2 weeks November 2010.

Here are my experiences as a single white English Rose travelling solo...

I was scared to death when I saw the reviews of the old part of the hotel.......I really had no need to worry at all!!!! AND I would stay there again although I did think it over priced compared to hotels I have stayed in all over the world

I had a standard room with balcony in the old part of the hotel and it was absolutely fine and I am very well travelled and experienced and used to a very high standard. I was only ever in the room to sleep, shower and change. Do take mozzie spray for the room as that was the only time I got bitten, while in the room!

There is a kettle, and coffee and tea in the room all free (the Bliss water is also free and they leave 2 bottles per day)...but I took my own nescafe cappuccino. There is a usable fridge that you can remove contents and put in your own :). There is also a safe and a hairdryer, so ladies no need to take a hairdryer, save that space for another handbag or 10 hehe.

My room was cleaned every day apart from one. Beach towels are available from reception for free every day, so don't take towels.

I had seen on the net about the hard beds but I like a hard bed so didn't worry BUT these beds are rock solid, no springs, think they must be made of wood with a light padded cover...My bed was massive and could have fitted 4 of me in it BUT VERY VERY HARD.

The brekky...I think an average choice, the omelettes tasted of nothing so I had fried eggs and ham every morning. Turn the toaster as high as you can or it takes 4 goes instead of 2 haha grrrr

A very lonely hotel if you are on your own, staff not interested in talking to you, and groups of them congregate and talk incessantly to each other and most say they don't speak much English...uhum. I went to many bars along the beach and Bangla Road, they are much more friendly

Hotel is located bang on the beach and no scary walks home down dark alleys and right by the beach front shops :)))

The sunbeds on the beach by the hotel cost me £2 per day and offers of drinks and food on the beach is excellent and cheap. But don't expect a free day on your birthday....they are not interested.

Lots to see and look at on the beach, boats, jet ski's for hire etc......the joggers errrrr hello lol.

Oh and I only saw 3 ladies topless 2 of them very old and was quite painful to see, I wanted to go cover them up lol

I was really disappointed that The Bliss did absolutely nothing for my birthday...I am used to champagne in my room from all other hotels I have stayed in but I didn't even get any fruit left in my room....very stingy.

The beach sales people are fine, not pushy at all and most friendly and some have nice things that are popular to buy.

The menu at this hotel is good and the food was very good (not brekky) and not too expensive.....lovely steaks, burgers, spag bol :)

The noise is very low although there is always a horrendous noise around 9pm, I couldn't work out if it was a boat engine or fireworks but it woke me up several times with a fright when I had collapsed early due to jet lag but this wore off after 3 days.

I did not feel at any time in danger or frightened, and I feel it is quite a safe place to be if you are a single lady travelling on her own but I stuck to the main walkways that are always busy.

Phuket seems to be heavily populated with Aussie travellers and as per my experience all over the world, the nicest ones are from Melbourne so seek them out and swerve the other rude ones....oh and if you happened to be blessed in the looks department, take no notice of the insecure women with their hubbies that turn their backs on you to try and block you out from their hubbies......hey lady don't worry I'm not interested in him....I mean really....take a look at him....as if lol

If there is anything you want to ask please do so as I'm sure ive left a lot out: duvalbianca@gmail.com

Oh and I flew into Kuala Lumpur en route to Phuket and stayed at the Concord Hotel in the city (Not the airport hotel). About 1 hour away from the airport but well worth the trip and not expensive to get to via KLIA Express train or by taxi (70 Ringgits). This hotel is awesome, the staff, very well polished as is the hotel and it's restaurants, and great entertainment, fab pool....get a room with a view of the twin towers....awesome at night. Also get a cab to China Town (Petaling Street). Tons of shops to bimble around :)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Bliss? Share your experiences!