“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kelly's Hotel

You added Kelly's Hotel to your Saves list
Kelly's Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47/1 Nanai Road | Patong Beach, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #29 of 285 Hotels in Patong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nottingham, England
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed at Kelly's hotel in January 2014 I have got to say the best hotel I stayed at in patong very good hotel rooms very big with large balcony cleaned every day . Nice clean pool . Bars nearby & beach not far away . Dan & tam will give you great advice to help you enjoy your holiday .

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a 2 week stay here and found everything here fantastic. This was my second stay here and this place is a real gem, close enough to bangla road but far enough away that you can get a good nights sleep. There are plenty of good bars around the hotel and great locals over the road. The rooms are very clean, everything works, pool is spotless and the hotel staff are a very friendly. Dan (the owner) is very helpful and if you listen to him you won't get ripped off. Book all your tours through the hotel and you will get top quality tours at discounted rates, don't book through the street tour operators because cheap in Thailand generally means scam. All in all if you are looking for a great value,high quality, small and quiet hotel that is as good as any i've stayed at then look no further, stay at kellys because you are in good hands

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We found the hotel itself great but a little overpriced compared with other alternatives nearby and also quite a distance from the beach and main strip. Everyday we had to pay 200 bath one way to get to the tourist area which was ok. Rooms were very comfortable and the balconies great with views of the ocean but next time I will stay closer to Bangla Road and the beach.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
You say you stayed Feb, you took a long time to write a review, you wrote a little over priced and then cunningly used the value box to make us look bad by marking it down, and compared prices with short time sex joints , Before ever saying anything about anyone else and their business you need to know exactly what you’re talking about and YOU haven’t one clue, Aussies have a strange obsession with the tall poppy, they love to knock and pass opinions on things they know nothing about, and you’re a value expert, one review and you somehow know how to cleverly use the boxes to destroy a ranking, same as the last review, you wrote this with deliberate intent, or I should say used little boxes .
You wrote nothing of value to anyone, you did all the damage with the boxes where we get rated, and was Feb a good date to use because in the last review I stated we were shut down but I gave no reason, and strangely I get two of these similar reviews in a row, better value down the road, on both reviews.
You blandly used words and little boxes to make a bad observation, so let me give you a lesson in what value and service in Phuket means, or for that matter any hotel , and believe me it is far more complex than not ticking a box or a bland short word.
And it’s not my nature to let it ride.
I never properly answered the other review I should have, but I have said it all before many times obviously you never read it, value and service is something you and most reviewers know nothing about especially in Phuket where you have never been before, I think your very naive, and looks to me “you” like most people that just form opinions and perception of thing you know nothing about, and have never had your irons in the fires of life never felt the fear of losing your own money never run a business, but like most review writers you’re an expert.
You wrote nothing about your holiday, you went straight into damage mode and used the boxes to do your talking.
The hotel was great but a little overpriced, and next time you will stay in Bangla road right in the middle of the noisy action, a little overpriced, I like that a little over priced but great.
You’re in the place 5 minutes and an expert on value and position and service, what is service and what was the service you missed, did you miss the fact it’s all the time consuming stuff we do making sure the taxi is there to pick you up, email to him and to you, the follow up phone calls, the waiting because your plane is late, taxi calling us because you’re not there, no small tip to the taxi for that just another thing taken for granted by the today's me, me crowd, was that not service.
Did you miss the fact that rooms are serviced every day to international standards, you know they were, their made up just like any other hotel in the world but serviced marked down.
Did you fail to read all the information handed to you at check in, this is where we tell you everything you need to know in Phuket, after all you get off a plane and instantly lost and know nothing about anything, is that not service, but you took it for granted but you’re not alone there most of today’s me, me society do the same.
Did you not compare the prices on trips and tours and noticed all the money we were saving you, is that not service, did you know we sourced those tour providers over many years and sorted out the scammers, all work we do for free, and if not you would have had something to really complain about, what was the service you missed or are you just waffling or are you being mischievous like the last reviewer.
We supply you with honest honorable reliable taxis to take you were ever you want to go and far to cheap and not appreciated by you, and being a know all you caught a tuk tuk, run by the thug mafia, you get off a plane and you know no one, you never had to tramp the streets to find a taxi that more than likely going to scam you, it take us a lot of years to learn all this and you took it all for granted, for cheap, is that not real service, do you think all this stuff just pops out of thin air, plucked off the tree of knowledge, and you got it all for free.
We give you the bible put together by us on how to get around, where to go and what not to do, a bible on tours trip, and all the money savings we pass on to you, all our contacts we give you for free, did you miss this fantastic service, no you took it for granted and wanted a cheaper room, very cheeky, typical of today’s me society, and you marked service down just like you’re an expert, let’s be honest you hardly allotted one brain cell into thinking about how great we really are, I don’t ever need an amateur to write a review about any business we own, we know where the best in the business, cheap to, but a little bit too expensive for you, ha.
In your mind everything we do or supply for you is all part of the cheap room price, get real what do you think your entitled to for the price of a cheap room.
We do all the service stuff for free because we are good people but times are changing all because were getting sick of the know all’s, they need to pay for the free service, they do elsewhere and how.
Don’t go on about down the road you never even stopped there and have no idea, just a few bland words on a review but I feel I have to let you and anyone else know the real facts about value and service, I doubt if very many people could answer the question “what is service” and did you pay for it, or are you just milking everything for what you can because that’s you, and what better way to do it on a blog..
Do you think for one minute the cheap place down the road would have been able to do this for you, no because the moment your order anything from them they will clip you for a commission, but you don’t know anything about down the road your just a waffler know all.
Today everyone is an expert and a critic, none have ever done the job but an expert, today everything is too expensive, what rubbish.
Let me take you through how price's evolve and why all price are so low, but not to you, first there is ridiculous competition that drives prices to the point of go broke and go home, but you know nothing about any of this, you don’t run a business here your just a price critic and a bad one.
There are too many building built with no planning, mad competion now out of control, In Au there are controls if you want to build a hotel or motel you have to prove and show cause for need, in Australia wages are protected here their not, here its dog eat dog competion out of control, and you’re a value expert, get real, seeing prices in the street is about trouble..
Then we have the foreigner falls in love and buys a lease on a guest house or hotel, he gets conned he has never run a hotel before and is guided by all the experts, he goes broke, to claw back some of the money he outlaid on a lease and ridiculous rent, he is desperate to at least get some money he out laid back, then he starts selling room so low it just quickens the go broke process, the bottom feeders love these poor fools, and we then hear about down the road is cheap, no it’s a place run by a fool going broke and desperate, better to shut.
And then there are all the booking company vultures playing on hotel off against another, and go broke is the end result, Kelly has been in business for a long time because we don’t listen to the want everything for nothing expert.
I speak to these people that go broke a lot and often they complain the hotel next door or down the road dropped their prices, what do I do they say, I always reply shut its cheaper than paying all the bills and over heads, some listen, but most go broke, it’s not rocket science spend more than your making and you out, my brain shudders when I hear these people talk and the critics tout to expensive.
If you can't get at least a break even price, shut, it’s cheaper than giving a tourist a cheap holiday and paying all the over heads and fixing up the damage they cause.
And don’t write rubbish you never stayed in these comparisons.
When the madness of low prices and people going broke sets in we close and take holidays, or fix and repaint all rooms, rooms shut means the hotel need less maintenance and all over heads drop, plus cheap brings the wrong type of tourist, been there done that, never again and that’s the downside of using booking company’s you cop all sorts.
We end up with a better class of tourist and they get to stay in a better class of hotel because it not going broke or knocked around by bottom feeders wanting cheap, and we have enough money to keep the place in good order and listen to people like you is a no, no, you’re like a lot of people just a know all that knows nothing.
I love Thailand but I am appalled by some of the Tourists that just want to exploit poor people and what is already cheap and try to make it cheaper by continually forcing price down on people having trouble surviving, but do you care, ha. You just blog it as expensive, and it’s funny because you all live in countries where you have rules and laws, industrialization commissions and work place relation laws protecting you, and you come to Thailand and out the door goes all the rules you have at home you become suppressor of the poor, double standards, and boy do you lot scream if any one takes away your rights.
Even if you got a 1 kilo of 24 CRT gold free at check in it would still be too expensive, and lord help us if it had a mark or stain on it, dirty would be reviewed.
I see many Thais go home to the rice paddies because they don't know how to deal with the extreme bottom feeders and the constant haggling of prices, I'm often the one that gives them money to be able to go home.
And we’re the ones that employ these poor Thais, all staff working at Kelly get at least double of staff anywhere else and often subsided by investments back in AU, and you’re an expert on value, reality is, all of you value and service experts haven't one single clue about hotels or anything associated with hotels, you just want it all for nothing, and this blog supply’s the tools to try and do it, hear the truth is a furphy.
Then after using single nothing words you use a little box to do your talking and the damage to us. Good on you, very clever.
And the Thais that do survive become hard core hagglers, and then the morons scream their getting ripped off, but what a way to make a living spending your whole life haggling with bottom feeders.
Enjoy Thailand their culture and their fantastic food, if you’re any sort of critics bottom feeders or deviate stay home, and your opinions are worth nothing, and I know I’m sick of reading about your false and very naive opinions.
And never say Kelly’s is even a little bit over priced because your so naive and have no idea, fancy listening to you or anyone that dares to talk about value or blatantly use the boxes to abuse value.

When Ever I find reviews where the thrust of the review is concentrated on the value and marked down, condition, cleanliness, position, comfort, and those little boxes that are used to down grade the position of the ranking of Kelly’s I get suspicious, because people that come on holidays are not there to criticize and damaging hotels reputation by using boxes, most tourists are too busy enjoying their holiday, and you haven't a clue, and 98% are very happy with what we have and say so.
I know no sane person can bad mouth Kelly’s in any shape or form or call us expensive or insinuate service bad or none, because I know we are a far superior quality hotel to 98% of hotels in Phuket, and even the new ones as time passes fall into disrepair because of pricing.
We get lots of customers that say they wrote a review and it never got printed, but your negative one did and so did the one before it, and I have to answer it because someone just might be naive enough to believe it, and we even get accused of writing our own reviews and photo shopping pictures, Ha what is a review writer.
Another reason for low prices is, A lot of new owners gets conned, pay a lot of key money up front, and a rent that can't be sustained from room profits, if he puts the price up to try and survive people like you tell him he's too expensive, and bad luck if he got conned, to you it’s cheap and good luck, he's caught in a trap, he can’t afford to shut, we can and do unless you’re an old customer We can't be bother haggling and working to lose money.
Owners going broke are desperate they want out and to claw key money back drops the rates and along come the bottom feeders and happy days until all the overheads come rolling in, then broke..
So the next step is to pocket all the money, they don't pay the rent or maintenance bills and he hopes he doesn't get kicked out to quick as it means he has a place to stay for a while, even cheap doesn't fill him up, nothing gets paid and he bolts and us honest hotel owners have to listen to the comparisons of cheap all because of an incompetent fool, and the next love struck dreamer or sucker takes his place, and you’re the value expert, we suffer a legacy from fools.
Then there is the owners that are a bit more resilient and they become pimps to survive by selling short time sex and drugs, sounds like you support this illegal activity touting their prices, exploiters of human misery, do you care hell no, as long as you get cheap, and you come along and stay for cheap and wonder what all the stains are on the bed spreads and dirty sheets someone shared with you, my gosh you are so naive.
You see in this world there are honorable honest people like us in Kelly’s and we have to deal with the know nothing know all's that make our lives miserable by using boxes to rubbish our hotel and damage our names, plus there are others in the business writing reviews to get their hotel rated higher and ours lower and all they have to do is not tick boxes as you have done, and who would know as its all anomalous.
In amongst that cheap price go broke stuff are the drug dealers and pimps selling drugs to make up for lost profits, selling rooms cheap to satisfy the bottom feeders and here you are the expert, and at the top of the tree the serious money launderers, they own hotels for the sole purpose of cleaning money, all a front, and what part do you not understand.
There is so much you and a lot like you don’t know, just got to have a say on a blog.
It’s all to intricate and corrupt for me, and I know mountains more than you, and you’re the expert on Value and service, whenever I read a review it's always value and service that gets hammered by people that haven't one single clue as to what is value or service is, a blog is a little power trip for the naive..
There are no hotels that even come close to Kelly’s that you can compare with, the big difference is they have no lift, no pool, no views, no veranda's, no gardens, noisy tiled floor and rooms, noisy moveable furniture and no double paneling, and a lot of noise and dust because all built right on the road no buffer zone, Kelly’s has a buffer zone and not built right on the street a pool is in front.
Most of your comparisons are just guest houses crammed on top of one another and separated by a brick wall with a noisy bar underneath or next door, run by a dreamer going broke, but the value experts don’t see this blinded by a sign that says 300 Baht.
Kelly’s is free standing with land front sides and back with a pool between the building and the street, these alternative places have none of those attributes, you never even noticed to focused on cheap, and did you really stay at Kelly’s.
Service always gets knocked by the experts, take the taxi pick up from the airport it’s a fantastic service, no mention from you, and service marked down as bad, are you kidding.
You did not write anything about your holiday, nothing at all, you set yourself up as a hotel expert and critic.
On you first and only trip to Patong and your first and only review your an expert, Is this a review done to get our ranking on trip advisor down, you and the last review did a good job, did you visit any restaurant or do anything exciting, doesn't look like it, did you go anywhere, you set yourself up on your first visit to become a hotel critic, I find this strange, an expert on one review, not that writing reviews will make you an expert only feeling the pain on losing your own money on owning a hotel just might give you a bit of an idea, I have spent my whole life running hotels and I have to listen to dribble from amateurs.
When you lose all the great small boutique hotels all that will be left are real dumps and the large corporate hotels, maybe that's the plan.
One well know travel writer wrote there are only 3 or 4 hotels like Kelly’s hotel left in Phuket, they have all disappeared, but that's the plan good hotel like Kelly’s don't need booking company's we had our own web sites but they have been compromised by booking companies, review company only got going a few years ago, and a lot of them are affiliated with booking company’s, funny huh..
For a start Kelly Hotel is a far superior in quality than places charging 3-4 times the price, and that's including 98 % of Patong hotels, I know because I'm the person that forks out the money to keep it in great order, thing like redecorating all the hotel room from disrespectful guests that mark all the walls with dirty shoes and scrape bags along the walls, some of today’s dirty ones even spit on the stair wells if they think no one is watching, over a period of a year we have to completely fix and repair everything, and if we catered for cheap bottom feeders the damage is worse, and compute into that selling below costs, what a mess, plus in Patong the moisture turns all buildings black with mold from rain and have to be painted every year, all costs to us but not to you.
And to you it must be all part of the room rate and the list goes on and on, you’re a true expert or you have another motive.
How could you compare you never stayed anywhere else and never run a hotel, yet a value expert, Kelly’s is a hotel kept in good order because we care and it's our home.
Also for your benefit we just happen to subsidize the running of this hotel out of our own pocket because the rates we need to maintain to our standards are not possible to obtain because of people like you knocking value, and far too much competion and over building of hotel and guesthouse rooms, very few survive, how do you compute that, are you just a waffler with no knowledge.

I find this review similar to the one written before it, a hotel destroying reviews using boxes, Fact is we have been shut down for approximately 4 months, due to a lot of noise from a build company next door, and the political unrest in Thailand and on top of that the coup by the army, I'm amazed you never mentioned that, but I casually mentioned that in the last false review and then you write you stayed in Feb a little bit strange, we also shut in Feb because of Jack hammering from building side, and strangely you never mentioned that because you never stayed here, plus we had a 6 months drought and water shortage, so we only took people that knew us and stayed with us before, even back in February when you said you stayed, no you didn't.
I expect the next false review to mention the jack hammering now that I mention it.
I seem to only get bad reviews printed these days, and a "lot" of people that have written good reviews noticed they did not get theirs printed, strange, but it’s not strange to us in the hotel business.
"Location" is marked down, what location would suit you because we're in the middle of Patong and at the back of the large shopping center, and just as much action in Nanai road how much action do you need or are you just being pedantic, and if you got all that late night action you would be complaining about all the noise, you really are an amateur aren't you...
"Sleep quality" you mark down, but one tiny bit of writing said hotel great, rooms very comfortable, what was it the bed or just you making out there was something wrong with the bed or just coloring up and making the review more destructive by marking boxes down, make up your mind the bed is the main part of a hotel room and you write room comfortable, now which was it. Review is a bit contradictory.
Rooms you also marked down yet you said they were very comfortable with great views, you’re not very consistent are you, but you achieved what you wanted to achieve by using boxes.
"Service" you marked down, what was the service that was missing, you don't say just a another bland word "service", I doubt if you even have an understanding what service is and how much it's worth, you got a very cheap room and complain too expensive, but you were after a cheaper room and a bit angry because you booked in before you manage to find some place run down enough for you specs,
And those places don't have web sites, that's why you couldn't find them, and if they did have a web site could you imagine the complaints they would get, you think we are bad, but you don't know what their like to stay in, you just took a wild guess.
You like a lot of others think you got robbed, when you see a place selling short time sex, a joint for 300 Baht which is only $9 dollars, nativity on you part and then you write a review.
And here you are falsely thinking that is the actual going rate for a room in Patong beach and sadly this is how visitor to Patong get their information about prices of rooms from anonymous bloggers, don't be so ridiculous there is no comparison, surely your smart enough to work out rooms the standard of room Kelly’s hotel is not going for a $9 or even a $20-30 dollar price tag, get real.
And not even 900 Baht is not the bench mark for hotel rooms anywhere in Patong it’s the lowest of the low price for not so nice people, it costs money to service and clean and disinfect a room properly and your pedantic enough about "clean", but I guess all the servicing and cleaning will be performed OK on your price of $ 9 dollars, a bottle of disinfectant costs 400 Baht, forget about laundry costs, soaps, shampoos, and electricity on average with air con costs 350 Baht per day to run, did you know that, no, of course you didn't your just a waffler, and free bottles of water, one good quality bed spread costs 450 Baht to dry clean or we could re-use them for the bottom feeders and leave them smelling of sweat and body odors, all this costs but the value experts just don't get it.
And you see a cheap room for 300 Baht down the road, something I have heard all my life in the hotel business is how cheap up and down the road is, and never as good as their usual place, same applies to food it always cheaper and better elsewhere, no its about you lot continually trying to beat up prices because your pockets are to small and your to mean, and you want it all plus the lots of service you require for a lousy few bucks, now that's mean and I do understand today's me me society expects everything for less than the cost of free, I think that's socialism, and we all know that doesn't work. .
Oh I forgot we have to pay staff, and it's bad luck if you blow up an air conditioner because of incompetence leave it on with the doors open and all lights on and go out because it’s all part of the room rate so waste it, left on and freeze it up and air con blows up, 30-000 Baht to fix it, OH but to you that's part of the 300 Baht $9 dollar room rate, the word value by experts and the perception of value boggles my mind, and another thing you don't know because you have never lived here is a lot of business here exist off under age prostitution and of laundering drug money, they have to resort to these illegal practices because no money in renting rooms to bottom feeders. but keep that a secret, there is so much a naive person like you doesn’t know, better to say nothing, fancy having so much knowledge and never been there before..
And those places you seen down the road selling cheap rooms I have seen the same hotels go broke at least two to three times in the time I have been in Kelly’s.
One broker told me he once sold the same hotel lease 5 times in one year, all went broke or wanted out because they made a mistake and had no knowledge, just like you.
One thing is for sure you got far more service than you paid for, lots of information for free, now that's service, rooms are serviced and made up every day to international standards, that's service also, you even had a go at clean, just another bland word "clean"you could have said what wasn't clean or was it just more words to use as lies and destruction,
You got free water, and lots of free information you do not get this sort of written and spoken time consuming information in far expensive hotels, they don't even talk to you, try and find the owners, just more service you got for free and took for granted and here you are marking boxes down and to expensive.
And not to mention the taxi service from the airport was that not "fantastic service", taken for granted by you, and all the emails and phone calls to taxis and to you, all to make sure it went to plan, now that's real service and cost you nothing, you have no idea about service you used bland words only as just part of a destructive review,
And the taxi we spent our time organizing and calling to make sure they pick you up and him waiting around for you when plane is late is that not service.
What was the service you missed, it wouldn't matter you got it all and more for free anyway..
You found the hotel overpriced, a bland nothing 2 words, "overpriced", and everyone must take notice this place is overpriced you wouldn’t know what was overpriced, compared to what a 300 Baht per night hotel going broke and selling short time sex and exploiting poor farm girls, but you like Bangla road and exploitation is rife there and home to all the devious ones that love that sort of thing and cheap sex is part of the deal for the bottom feeders, no respect for anyone only their mean pocket, get your facts right, surely you don't support the exploitation and prostitution of young girls, is that why you like Bangla road.
As for staying in Bangla road, that’s rubbish, stay there and then you will be writing a bad review about Bangla road, We lived in that area in a unit and lasted 3 months we were driven out by noisy Bars, thump thump of sub woofers all night long, drunks rolling home at all hours of the night with yelling loud jabbering drunk bar girls and their mates talking loudly about their conquest for the night, disgusting, and the never ending sounds in the middle of the night of people coming and going, the slamming of doors and drunks talking loudly in the hall ways, that's the penalty for staying right in the middle of the action in Bangla road on the road, but you don't know that you’re just a waffler.
Every day you had to pay tuk tuk 200 Baht to get to the tourist area, rubbish, your already in the tourist area, everything like shopping centers markets and bars are 5 min walk away and the moment you catch a tuk tuk they have to travel the long way round to get to the beach because of one way streets and you get to see nothing, get real.
From Kelly’s it’s a short walk through the shopping center to beach and Bangla rd. and not boring, but you didn't know that either or too lazy to walk or just whining over nothing.
Next time enjoy your holiday and stay away from writing about things you do not understand.
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

After reading all the positive reviews we chose Kellys but we were a little disappointed. Its a long way from the main strip (Bangla Road) and Patong Beach (a good 20 minute walk and a fair hike back up the hill coming back). The pictures on their website must have been photo shopped or are very outdated so dont expect what you see. We only saw the manager once so we didn't receive any money saving knowledge as claimed. Rooms were ok but we found much cheaper alternatives just down the road at same standards

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
KellysOwner, Owner at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
James.you lie, you never stayed in Kellys, I don't know who you are but we were shut for two months and the only people staying in kellys were people we know and you were not one of them, this is the down side of reviews people like you that are a pain in the you know what.
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Recently returned from our 18th annual golf tour and our 6th to Phuket. Stayed at all standards of hotels but for us this offered by far the best value with fantastic service. Dan and Tan couldn't have done more for us, arranging airport transfers and our boat trip. The hotel is a boutique style hotel with a small reception area, not the largest of pools but big enough with plenty of seating and sun beds. The rooms are terrific, good size with comfortable beds which are changed daily, fridge and safe.
Great budget hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thanks for the kind review.
Your review is very refreshing (Stayed at all standards of hotels but for us this offered by far the best value with fantastic service).

You have been to Patong many times and stayed in many standards of hotels and noticed the difference in price and quality, most only notice price and haven’t a clue about value or service and very little else.
Now your review is refreshing and different, because most people don't know the difference in quality, only cheap prices catch their attention, chasing cheap has become a blog sport, forever talking prices down in hope..
Today us hotel have to compete against bloggers telling everyone where cheap is, Banks selling room with points as long as you use their credit cards, booking companies selling rooms for commissions , none of them own hotels, bloggers don’t run hotel, and all getting a feed off hotels and to pay for all the hanger ons that room rates has to be in the 10-000 Baht up range, we sell room for average price of 1-500 Baht give more service, have more knowledge than a person working a shift on a reception, we are contactable at all times, try find owners of the blogs or booking company’s, we have room as good if not better, and look at all the experts we put up with.
Time to get out, just look what happened to the hotels and family supermarkets, all gone and in the hands of the big corporates and wow do you pay now, and lose us small hotels and you certainly will pay.
The value and service box is abused by amateurs, by not ticking it to make out its bad, I don’t think people understand those boxes; this reviewer does and ticked them. (Thanks)
Are these review boxes really for budget hotels like Kelly’s or is it about more expensive hotels that do charge an arm and a leg, no one can call a budget hotel expensive, because we are an already far too cheap, competion sees to that, and there is no better value there is no more to give where on the limit.
And service we do for free and far more than any big hotel so what are these boxes for, abuse, or just misuse by amateurs that want to air their opinions and lack of knowledge, before blogs we always had these people that had opinions and perceptions on everything, but no one took much notice of these people because the train never stopped at all the stations, the lift stopped a few floors short of the top floor.
Now all these people with their false opinions have a blog to tell the world, so I have to answer them.
And I thank this reviewer.
Reviews are not noted for actually seeing the difference most just have a say based on nothing other than a single bland single words or lack of box ticking, value, service marked as bad, clean always get hammered by the naive, I think it all depends on how much knowledge they lack, but must have a say.

It boggles my mind how someone so naive can actually think they can write something about things they know nothing about and never done, yet they do, and we all must believe it, plus all the other things we do for free and taken for granted by the wafflers.

I once had a woman describe our hotel as filthy because of her ignorance about cockroaches, she lived in New York, and this was in Thailand, and US citizens are not great travelers, only about 10-15 % of the population hold passports, to her all cockroaches are filthy, to a Thai their big they fly and a delicacy to eat, sold in all food markets a staple diet, filthy they are not, same in any tropical or sub-tropical climate anywhere in the world lots of cockroaches that fly.
Not the same as the ones that live in the sewers of NY or any big city they only crawl, in sub-tropical climates if you leave a door open they will fly in, but this person walked out disgusted shouting profanity's, and then she just had to have an opinion on a blog and air her ridiculous lack of knowledge and ignorance, this is the, y and me, and ignorant generation, that's like eating pork from a filthy pig that lives in smelly mud and pork gets eaten regardless in a high class restaurant, because that don’t actually see the pig the pork chop must be clean.

And I find this applies to all review writers when it comes to those little boxes and negative opinions, they don't see it either, but have a say.

In hotels we get such a mixed bag of opinions and perceptions on what things like service, value, position, comfort, beds, and clean, etc., sad and annoying for hotels, because opinions have always been around, but before we had blogs they no power they could only tell one person at a time and no one took any notice of a wafflers opinion, but now these people can tell the world right or wrong means nothing, it’s on a blog it must be right. Ha, hear the truth before going, what truth..

And this is what makes this review refreshing, thanks.

Years ago we had professionals rate us, now it very bad amateurs that write the negative stuff, mostly they write nothing just use little boxes to make a very bad statement.

Reality is most haven't a clue, things like value they know nothing about they just want a say on a blog and the opportunity to drive prices to unsustainable levels, this type of blogging is only ever about cheap, the great cheap virus is out of control, everything is labeled to expensive, compared with what, someone going broke.
All large hotel have the massive big impressive foyers, and the rooms mostly are worn out and tired, but I would never think about blogging it as I understand in time these hotel get refurbish, and it’s all about money, quality does not enter the equation, only money dictates quality And cheap just doesn’t cut it, over time cheap creates poverty.

I have owned these big hotels and to inspect hundreds of rooms every day is impossible, and rooms have to be filled, what kills these hotels was cheap traffic and to much competion, and lack of profit, and now we have value experts blogging their knowledge, they know nothing.

These days people are consumed by cheap everything, they blog cheap, sit in bars and discuss cheap to death, only since the advent of blogs have I seen this phenomena of cheap, cheap everything.

And in Phuket this continual driving down of prices kills off a good 98% of small business every couple of years and replaced by another lot, most probably the same value experts that thought running these businesses were gold mines, they believed their own bull..

A lot try to survive by dropping prices, but that's suicide and lack of business experience, and most subsidize their costs with their own personal savings, it eventually becomes too big of a burden to carry and their off home broke, nothing works in business but profit, or at least break even.
Profit creates jobs and stops poverty, selling below costs creates poverty, and destroys jobs.

A lot of these small bars and guest houses owners were just workers in a job back home, retired with a dream of owning a small business in Thailand with the Thai bride or girlfriend, and the business plan was to help offset their cost of living buying a small business in hospitality, they dreamed about it all their lives, a dream that turns into a nightmare, sadly it doesn’t work out, they all go broke and get ostracized on blogs by the naive must have a say experts.

The bills roll in and they end up subsidizing it from their own savings, or one partner will go back home and work to earn money hoping it will work out, it never does, to many forces working against him like the cheap experts with no knowledge, not long their broke, before they go broke they send the wrong message to naive tourists by dropping prices to way below survive levels, and then along comes the value expert and see all these ridiculous low prices, blog it, and then want us to do the same just to please their lack of knowledge, they then blog rip off..

At Kelly’s were old school and very good at what we do and we never succumb to the opinion of the blogger, fools or cheap chasers, to do so is fatal.

And the amazing part is these new owners compete amongst themselves by dropping prices sending one another broke, they even tell the tourists where their staying is too expensive, down the road is always cheaper, not better just cheaper, cheap is used as a weapon, I can get it cheaper down the road is bluff, talk about mad, instead of getting their heads together and working out a price that will keep them from going under, they drown one another in ever increasing debt, and selling at go broke prices, the only thing that slows the go broke process down is how much money in their bank back home, or sharing their pension subsidizing others with cheap.

They often ask me what should I do the guy down the road just dropped his price, easy answer is shut and let him go broke, 100% guaranteed they will.

All this plays right into the hands of the bottom feeders, their on the blogs telling the world where cheap is, not good just cheap because there is no good cheap they don’t exist, only in a bloggers head, and if you tried to find that cheap place its gone, shut down.
These cheap price chasers think all hotels are the same, only price the difference, nothing further from the truth, there are hundreds of reasons and just one glaring fact is tiled floors that resonate noise from chairs scraped across floors and noisy people walking and talking in the middle of the night, tile floors mean cheap, very few have the right insulation..
I have been in business in Phuket a long time and watched the antics of go home go broke for years.
When people book into Kelly’s off the street it always the lack of sleep that drives them out of where their staying, and a lot have to suffer because they used a booking company on the web and paid up front and afraid of losing their money, ha why do you think they want the money up front, tourists are so naïve, booking via a booking company means someone is getting a quid for nothing and you pay..
In this review You write “Fantastic service”, your right it is, you have picked up on service, most see it as a box to tick or not tick, rooms are serviced every day, service is something most people take for granted, but service and value gets hammered by the naive as bad, to them just single words without understanding what that one word really means, here’s a box will I or will I not tick it, no thought goes into the process, and most places charge you extra for it.
Pool size you picked up on is all relative to size of hotel and the volume of people in large hotels makes that big pool small, try doing laps without slamming into some one.
Yes we are a small hotel, when it comes to people small is far better, big means dealing with more noisy inconsiderate people, size is relative to everything in hotels especially noise, worn out and price, big means big traffic and that means they wear out quicker, some call it dated, no just tired..

Kelly’s is “4 star rated as in build quality”, star rating has “nothing to do with service” it is a standard used in building, some hotels like to palaver it up as something they do extra for you but it's not, most hotel are serviced exactly the same way there is no other way, even the cheapest hotels make up rooms.

The extra stars over and above a 4 star are for 24 hours reception that means 4-1/2 Star, 5 star means 24 hour kitchen all that you pay a lot extra for its not free and you may never use it, because that night time service is like buying shares in the hotel..

We have heavy duty bed spreads and black out curtains, this is also part of the star rating, it means if you play with air con and turn down to low and cold builds up as the night progresses, and if it wakes you up in the middle of the night you have a warm blanket, also expensive to clean, most hotels just use a flimsy sheet and you cannot get warm, all things to consider when people talk about the most abused words value and service.

We also have expensive black out curtains with heat resistant backing to keep the cool in and heat out, made for night owls that want to sleep in the day time, most hotels save on costs and just have flimsy cheap curtains, nothing worse than sunlight streaming in when you’re trying to sleep, and without the heat resistant backing air cons cannot cool room if sun shines on the glass it works like an internal heater, just look at hotels with lots of glass and no overhangs to keep out the hot sun, the value cheap experts don't notice these things or take it all for granted, and the value experts don't know the difference, and all these extra nice things have to be cleaned and replaced over time, value experts are so naive when they blog.

Another part of the star rating of a hotel is carpeted floors over cheap tiled floors, with carpet it more expensive and has to be replaced but you get no noise from chairs scraped and people clomping or dropping stuff in the middle of the night on tiles, noise resonates in tiled rooms, but most value experts haven't a clue or just blinded by a cheap price, and spend the night getting woken up from a deep sleep, that's provided they can achieve getting to sleep, value experts see none of this.

I have bought and owned many hotels and I'm very experienced, and even I cannot see what is wrong with a hotel until I start running them but the naive and know all’s think they know it all and blog their lack of knowledge.

What I write below I have written before but I feel I must write it again because nativity has crept back into reviews

We get property reports on things like dated, we get closeted sarcastic remarks, we have to deal with a whole plethora of opinions from a world of experts all giving an opinion on a business none of them know anything about.

All of us in the hotel business are not happy with these mixed bag of experts and a lot of us are selling up going back to our homes to do nothing, sick of know all’s on blogs, I only write this to let those know all’s know they know nothing..

I find today everyone is an expert without ever having done the job, I have been doing it for approximately 40 years and we know our product we know our boundaries of profit and loss, we know where go broke is, we know where not to compete, we know where we are as to position, and we have it all on our web sites.

And we know there is only so much people will pay and that is OK because we all like a good deal but fair and just must be adhered to at all times, but there are people that are just mean beyond your wildest dreams and we see the carnage throughout Phuket they cause with their naivety, their negative blogging and opinions are all false, their naivety causes a lot of pain.

In their own country's they have rules and laws on what can be built, they have standards and pay packets that must be adhered to, but here in Thailand there are no rules and when those bottom feeder tourists come to Thailand they forget about those rules back home that gives them a certain standard of living, here there are no rules, these people forget about their world of privilege and big pay packets, they try and stretch their precious money to the limit here regardless of who they damage, thus become exploiters of people in poorer countries.

The me, me society and the know all’s want unsustainable prices, and all experts, all they achieve is poverty on a grand scale, and go home to brag, no profit means no business, no standards and no profit means poor, and you get what you pay for, I see the heartache they create with mean, I see the business and owners leaving, unfortunately there seems to be a new lot of experts and dreamers willing to replace them buying up what went broke because they thought it was cheap, how ironic, ha, just hard lesson on how to lose money.

I am constantly fighting these bottom feeders and naive and misinformed review writers, bloggers and visitors alike.

There is a lot more to running a hotel than low prices, hotels have massive costs and infrastructure.

I see cheap being exploited by all tour operators just to get business, they will use the brochure of a reputable company to sell an inferior cheap tour, there is no comparison but does the tourist know it's not the same as the brochure their shown, of course not how could they never been here before they just see a price and to them everyone else is a rip off, and they blog it, and pass on bad information about cheap without realizing they got what they paid for and no way it was the same as a good full tour, I do know the difference, it’s the cheap tour that's the rip off.

Con people use a lot smoke and mirrors to deceive.

Scammers love these naive people; all con people use greed as the basics of a con and cheap chasing is just about greed.

I hear and see the foolish ones touting about cheap drinks in bars, again duped, a lot of spirits used in drinks are illicit brewed alcohol, copy’s made to taste like the real thing with flavorings, yet the cheap chasers through naivety and being know all’s recommend these places all because of cheap, they know nothing other than they feel a bit crook in the morning, and some even die because of the illegal made brew, so beware of price and cheap and more important the know all no nothing people.

Standards were set years ago because of exploitation, but exploitation is back because of fools.

In the bloggers home country's they have laws controlling all this stuff, in Thailand it’s all about surviving and cheap, and the cheap chaser think their getting ripped off when they see something more expensive, it would not cross their mind for one minute a bit more expensive is fair and just, some of us in business are honest and never allow the cheap bully's to dictate to us.

“People like this good reviewer” do still exist, like him pay fair and just and he is a rare blogger he had seen the differences in prices and quality, and experienced it, most just want to suppress prices.

I see taxis desperate for money in low season selling cheap, and the naive tourist blog our taxi is rip off, absolute rubbish their dealing with a man of opportunity, a lottery as to price and service, a predictor fed by the naive kept in business by fools, what none of these people realize fair and just must be adhered to at all times.
It took me years to convince the Taxis to have a standard price and not the rip of in high season and starve in low season and then I had to deal with the bottom feeders always pushing prices lower, taxi went broke and went home and didn’t the bottom feeders scream rip off in high season, madness, tourists have no idea of value on anything they all think everything is too expensive, on the street it can be a rip off but the tourists created that with mean in low season..

Taxis we use charges same price low or high season, taxi cost don't go down they remain the same, hotel are the same, we have to keep those taxi operating all year, their honest and reliable and we need their services all the time, low or high season.

And in high season the rip off merchant go to town robbing tourists, we can call our taxi at any time and price same, we can rely on them to pick you up at the airport day or night, we even rely on them to show you your room if you come in the middle of the night, their like staff and family, we know they will be there, the taxi of opportunity will not do this, too busy ripping off the smarty’s charging double and triple dealing with the new naive tourists, so again the naive review writers are wrong and people believe all the rubbish they naively write.

Our taxi can be contacted via us if you leave something like your wallet or phone in their taxi, the street taxi you got for cheap cannot be contacted at any time, and every time we have got these items back, 100% success rate, and service gets bagged, and out taxis will wait around, and help if your baggage lost, and the value and service experts mark us down as bad, amazing when I make it clear how it really works, but then I have forty years of knowledge over the experts’ 3 seconds of observations, and cheekily they blog it.

Bloggers don't run businesses, never paid a pay packet out of their own pocket, have never had their irons in the fires of life, have never felt the fear of building a business, never felt the fear of borrowing money or the fear of losing it, they have no knowledge of what is value, they recognize nothing and usually use bland one word statements to make out their experts, and because of lack of knowledge they become an expert at using little boxes that are part of a review to make a statement, socialist values at its worst, live off the efforts of others and pay no one fair and just.

If they had one clue I wouldn't have to write this.

How these little boxes are used could be because of naivety, it could be vindictive and sarcasm, it could be just the personality of the reviewer, it could be someone cunningly trying to put our ranking on trip advisor down ours and theirs up, and by just using bland one word insults, but truth it is not, naivety at best.
Tete, Mozambique
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I arrived in Patong and was greeted by a very friendly driver, arranged by Dan and Tan. The welcome I got when i arrived at Kelly's was warm and very welcoming. They are very keen to make sure you have the best possible time and their cost saving advice is a blessing for a solo traveler. The rooms are a haven during the hot sultry nights. The bed and pillows are a pleasure to sleep on.

I stayed at Kelly's for 13 nights and I would highly recommend this family run hotel to anyone looking at traveling to Patong.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed at Kelly's for 14 nights and could not rate it more highly. We had a lovely poolside room with a GREAT bed. The air-con was terrific and there was also a fan in the room which really helped the cool air to circulate. Clean towels and sheets every day and pool/beach towels supplied on demand. Dan and Tan are very welcoming hosts and will do, or arrange, anything for you - including a visit to a dentist which I needed while there. They have a "resident" taxi driver who is always available to take you anywhere you want to go.
This hotel is a "home from home" and we loved it. We will return.
Thank you Dan and Tan for a lovely holiday.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Hi from County Cork.

Thanks for the great review it was a pleasure have you and your husband, you brought happiness to Kellys with your Irish humor.
It would make us happy to see you back on day, best of Irish luck to you.
We love reviews that are open and honest.

Thanks Tan, Dan.

Been to Kelly's Hotel? Share your experiences!