“Good value but in need of a facelift” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kelly's Hotel

You added Kelly's Hotel to your Saves list
Kelly's Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47/1 Nanai Road | Patong Beach, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #29 of 285 Hotels in Patong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Good value but in need of a facelift”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here for 9 nights with a mate of mine. The best thing about staying here was
the size of the rooms and the information freely provided by Dan and his team, both verbally and on paper. We stayed on the 4th floor and that provided us with fantastic views of Patong from our balcony. The hotel itself sits on on top of a hill away from the centre of the action. Its
a 10 minute walk to Bangla rd and a further 5 mins to the beach. Kellys doesnt have the facilities, finishing's or service you would find at most 4 star rated hotels. In my opinion its in
need of a makeover to justify the 4 star rating. That being said its still good value and a nice
place to stay.
This is a bit off topic but if you do stay their and your sick of asian food everyday, there is Dutch restaurant just down the road that does western style food and western style portions if you know what I mean.

Room Tip: The higher up the better for a good view of Patong.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Hi this review you marked everything down and are so far out of whack it’s not worth answering, you haven’t a clue about hotels, especially finishing’s and service, you have never ever seen as much service as you got at Kelly’s, you stayed 9 day, and “that being said it’s still good value and nice”, is that not contradictory to all your box ticking, or was that deliberate.
It would take too long to get it all into all into a meaningful perspective.
Thanks Dan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Kelly’s for part of third trip to Thailand. We stayed for four nights and we were happy with every aspect of the service we received.
We didn’t want to stay in the centre of Patong because of the noise from the nightclubs and the foot traffic.
Kelly’s was ideal for us: 10 minutes walk to the bustling centre of Patong with its massive array of shopping; five minutes to the fresh food market with such a dazzling variety of freshly caught seafood; and only 15 minutes – at the most – to Ban Patong and great seafood restaurants.
We checked in late due to some car issues but the young bloke was there to show us our room, carried my wife’s suitcase and pointed out the air-conditioning controls and where the safe was situated and so on.
The review from SEAPexplorer012 complaining that the staff don’t speak English is quite odd. While it is true the housekeeping and late-night staff don’t speak English, we never failed to communicate with them during our stay. So, they don’t speak English. My wife and I don’t speak Thai. It is, after all, their country. It’s not much of an effort to get a request across if you have a modicum of intelligence. One of our light bulbs blew while we there - as bulbs do –and had it replaced in less than in five minutes. A polite ”korp koon krup/ka” after the installation and we could continue reading on the balcony while enjoying our Duty Free!
Anyway, back to the room. We had a Luxury Seaview with king bed. Overlooking the road and down toward Ban Patong, it also gave a lot of natural light into the room. It was SPOTLESS. This would have been the cleanest room I have stayed in. Ever. What was strange, for a hotel in the tropics, is that the floor was carpeted! And it had no hint of a mildew or damp smell at all. The bed was comfortable, with bed linen changed daily and the bottled water appeared each day. And the best thing? Everything worked! Safe, lights, hot water, air-con, tv the lot.
Dan was a great host and gave us some local advice about the markets, where to avoid and so on. We didn’t enquire about tours because, basically, we had done them all in the last two trips. However, his knowledge of the local industry, the geography and the restaurants was encyclopaedic.
While there is a limited menu for breakfast, we didn’t partake as we generally eat quite late in the mornings and, it being the low season, the serving hours were shortened. This is in no way a problem if you, like us, tend to avoid the crowds and holiday when the crowds – and the prices – are down: there are restaurants just minutes down the road which serve all-day breakfasts (from a multitude of countries) as well as the basics like coffee, tea and toast. A local (maybe two minute walk) Seven/11 style mini-mart sells the important things when on holiday: smokes, batteries, alcohol and snack foods.
On the Tuesday night we ate our 9th Wedding Anniversary dinner at the local food stall. Probably not what a lot of people would call the most romantic; standing at a street vendor in shorts, singlet and thongs gnawing on freshly cooked spicy chicken, red pork steamed buns and noodles. But it worked for us. And the food was just sublime!
Check out was as easy as saying thankyou, to the staff as we left, handed in our key and drove off. Nothing could have been simpler.
While we are going back to Phuket in April 2013 we don’t intend on staying in Patong. If we were to do so, we’d revisit Dan and Tan and their great hotel up on the hill. Superb.

PS - I hope you like the Glock sticker we left for you Dan!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hi thanks for you great review.
Value marked down I see far too often on reviews, I think it just human fault wanting everything cheaper, so I will try and clarify this value thing, and sorry have to use this review because I couldn't be bothered answering another review to much wrong with it so this is about value, how much money do you think we make out of what you paid for a room and what do you think your entitled to, you want cheap, you got it minus all the bull, to understand value you have to understand true costs and overheads, this means you have to work in this industry and survived especially in Thailand, with over 90 plus % going broke and ridiculous competition what do you think you’re talking about when you tick the value box down. We have survived in this hostile poverty driven environment for years and very few can or do.
Most go broke, and my neighbor walked out of his hotel this week, a year ago he bragged his occupancy was 100% and how he used all the booking companies to fill his rooms, he thought he value worked out, I told him a full hotel does not equate to profit, it can accelerate the go broke process because room rates nowhere near enough to cover all the hidden costs. And paying commissions on low rates is a recipe to go broke, he never understood hotels, he worked in hotels one year and listened to the booking companies hoo ha, hoo ha is right they make money you don’t, review writers spend 5 minutes and all experts, I have owned hotels for forty years, I pay zero booking companies and listen to no one, not because I’m arrogant, because they haven’t a clue, customers think their entitled to a say. Feedback they call it are they kidding, feedback is on something broken or not working in a rooms, not on value or running a hotel, I learnt my lessons years ago, their predators, they do nothing, they don’t own or operate hotels, rob you the customer and the hotel, now he’s just another hotel that’s gone broke, and to you Kelly’s is not good value, to those that mark down value I say don't be so ridiculous.

And the ones that don't survive, don't because they listen to those that don't know and continually forcing prices down in a 3rd world poverty driven country where prices are far to low, the bottom feeders always want cheaper and create more poverty by being to mean and failing to pay fair and just, but that is the predator world of today..
Value is something only understood when you have had your irons in the fires of life, paid a pay packet out of your own pocket, felt the fear of borrowing money to build a hotel business, learnt to make a profit to pay back loans and costly overheads, profit if any goes into expensive and never ending maintenance and paying wages, value is a very, very abused word and misused by reviewers, and comparisons are drawn from what, usually a short time sex joint where a guest seen a sign with a silly go broke cheap price that tourist think is real.
They do this low price in a desperate move to claw back money outlaid on a business they know nothing about, and most have never ever worked for themselves before, just a working person with a dream of living and owning a business in easy going Thailand, that dream turns into a nightmare within 9 months or less, they buy the wrong product, its shoddy built, needs money spent, listen to the wrong people, too much competition and get caught out on all the hidden costs, sell rooms to cheap and haven’t a clue about hotels, and they get beaten up by bottom feeders an armchair expert on reviews, and that only creates more poverty with their meanness and naivety on room value, 90% of hotel businesses in Phuket go broke every year, far too much competition and grubby products, yet the foolish keep coming, they fall in love with the place or a girl, they think selling rooms cheaper is going to bring business, it just hastens the go broke process, yet I keep seeing value marked down using these going broke hotels as a guide.
Cheap always means trouble, we keep that trouble out, price and quality is one way, cheap attracts the grubs that are drunk and noisy nuisances, we are the experts in this business and guests are not, we see what you don’t, that’s what sets apart from the losers and that takes years of knowledge, you come on holidays to enjoy Thailand, we help make it more enjoyable by supplying you great rooms, lots of free money saving information and tours at cost to us, that alone is fantastic value in itself, it means you get a room for free.
We keep our hotel in good order and that requires a profit.
Be careful what you wish for, if all the middle order hotels like Kelly’s disappear and they are nearly all gone now, you will only have two types of accommodation the run down cheap places in heart break ally, and the very expensive.
Look what happened to cheap when the big supermarket chains bought out all the family owned supermarkets, hotels, and service stations. The public chased cheap, now they pay 4 times for groceries and their beer, they deservedly got what they wished for.
As for carpet in rooms, tiles don't cut it far too noisy, chair scraped across floors and noisy shoes in the middle of the night, noisy TVS because tiles echo, and why rooms don't smell musty is we take customers to the room and show them how to cool a room, damp moist smells are caused by guests that don't own air conditioners setting them to low, causing an iced up air conditioner, or from moist damp salt air in beach front property’s there is a way to do it and no sore throat, the magic of Kelly's is the knowledge, forty years of it, and guests are notorious for marking down value, and pigs fly..
Thanks for opportunity to put the facts right on this value thing..
Lakeville, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at Kelly's for three nights. The pickup taxi service from the airport was very convenient. Even though the hotel is on a pretty busy street, with the AC on we didn't notice the traffic. The balconies are nice and large. Room nicely appointed, big safes for ipads and the like. The pool is quite refreshing, with a nice bar conveniently located about 15 feet away from it. It's a 15-20 minute or so walk to the beach and the bustle of downtown Patong. My wife and I actually preferred the streets and area closer to the hotel, where there were loads of restaurants and shops. There are also great food stalls outside the Banzaan market in the evening. Dan, the owner, is a wealth of info on what to do and not do in Phuket. He is also an interesting guy to talk to in general, with a lot of war stories from the hotel and hospitality biz. Thanks!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed for a week in November with a friend. Taxi bookings were sensational and a big positive for me as it resulted in a stress free experience at Phuket after arriving after a long flight. My friend missed his connecting flight to Phuket which made him a day late. I emailed the new details through last minute and there were no problems with his taxi booking.
Dan and his wife Tan make you feel very welcome. Their service is extraordinary.
The hotel is situated in a good location, rooms are very nice and clean. The food is awesome and extremely affordable.
Dan gives great advice on tours and the rates are excellant. My friend and I were not keen on a full day tour or being strangled by snakes. Dan organized a tour for a few hours one afternoon that took us to a few of the sites we were interested in.... Awesome!
I cannot stress how good the personalized service is at this hotel. I wish I could experience it at other hotels these days. It's so refreshing and nice.
Last but not least, the rates for the rooms are incredibly good! I will be staying here again on my next visit this year.
Thankyou so much Dan, Tan and Aye. See you again soon.
Ty

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ballymena (Ireland)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My friend and I stayed in this hotel from 5th-8th November 2011, and at the end of our stay in Thailand from 17th-20th November (I know, I should have reviewed long before now). I can't speak highly enough of this establishment, even from before we left Ireland, we had booked for 3 people, but someone pulled out a couple of weeks beforehand, I emailed them to let them know and there was no problem.

I was very aware of the airport scams in Thailand and was delighted that Dan would arrange a taxi to pick us up and take us to the hotel, the taxi was waiting on us and took us straight to the hotel and it was about 10 at night, got checked in no probs. the taxi driver was really nice and he gave us plenty of info. The next day we met Dan and I have to say he was an absolute gentleman gave us some superb advice which we took on board. He has tons of stories to tell and I swear they were some of the craziest and best stories I've heard. He couldn't do enough for us and always had plenty of time for us and other guests. The rooms were outstanding, very very clean and spacious, with air con and a stand alone fan so we were well equipped for comfort.
At the end of our first stay we were going to Koh Phangan and he tried to get us flights sorted to Koh Samui then sort a boat from there, however due to us having a "rough night" the night before and hangover in full flight, we were up a bit later than planned!! He arranged for a taxi to take us to Surat Thani to catch the last ferry to Koh Phangan. The taxi was 5 hours, (tough with a hangover) but again the taxi driver was excellent and I had some great chats with him while my compatriot slept on the back seat ha ha. He took us right to the pier almost!!

When we returned to the hotel we got the exact same service and couldn't have been happier with the hotel,

So to Dan and Tan a massive thanks again from the two of us. We were the two Irish guys, Paul and my mate Kevin.

Dan if you're ever in Ireland I would gladly put you up in my own house, with the service you showed us it is the very least that we owe you.

Top notch hotel very reasonably priced and with service that you wouldn't get in any other hotel in the world.

Cheers,

Paul

• Stayed February 2012
Arnhem, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I reserved the deluxe room at the 3rd floor and got exactly what i wanted. I booked for 8 days and ended up prolonging my stay for 5 more days. The hotel has personality because of the owner and his wife plus staff. They give you great advice about Phuket and offer good tours. Really worth your money, no scam here. Your better off booking a tour here then be at the mercy of the little shops you find everywhere in Patong. Plus i recommend reservin the cabdriver Koi :) Great nice girl who speaks good English and takes you everywhere you want. I will defenitly book here again next time i will be visiting Phuket. I just hope they will still be there ;)
@Dan: thank you very much for the great stay and the interesting talks. You know what you are talkin about. Best of luck with writing!! Also many thanks to your wife and the rest of your staff.
Greetings from Manuel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
modesto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here for a week 12-19-12 to 12-26-12 What a great hotel !!!!
Dan and Tan are AWESOME the staff is amazing too they really take good car of you.
From being picked up from the airport to getting dropped back off was seamless Dan and Tan arranged for everything so I would not get scammed which is very common by the airport Taxis.
The Hotel is very nice great room, air conditioning, patio, cool pool and a nice view.The hotel is also close to evrything but far enough away to have peace and quiet.
Food and beer were inexpensive and awesome also so that is Why I started my day in the lobby with the breakfast and A is a great cook and very helpful. They also have a laundry service which was really nice. Booked a few tours through the Hotel and evrything was perfect from the pricing to the service so definitely book your tours here. I especialy enjoyed the conversations daily with Dan, he is such a wealth of information.

Thanks again Dan and Tan I will definitely be back and recomend to everyone I know to stay with you.

See you next time,
Carl

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kelly's Hotel? Share your experiences!