“Don't believe the overhyped reviews” 3 of 5 stars

47/1 Nanai Road | Patong Beach, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #18 of 280 Hotels in Patong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Australia
“Don't believe the overhyped reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

After reading the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor we expected a lot more. The cheap price accurately reflects the 3 star quality of the hotel. The Australian owner tries to be helpful but we just found him overbearing. But he gets points for trying. You usually get what you pay for, and this hotel is no different.

Location wise the hotel is about 15 minutes from the beach, and about 10 minutes from the main shopping centre in Patong. The road to the hotel is quite busy so I would not recommend families with small children stay here. Room was clean but would fill up with dead bugs towards the evening, whatever surface spray they are using does an excellent job! Bathroom is stuffy with no ventilation, and the shower pressure left a lot to be desired.

I would say this hotel is best for single men looking to sample the infamous night life in Patong; as the man next door to us was doing. Don't stay here as a couple or family.

I would recommend a couple or family check out the excellent resorts on the beach. You can't beat the Thai hospitality. Why go to Thailand to stay at an Australian quality hotel?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2012
This review contradicts and fly’s in the face of every other review written, it seem that its main aim is to personally attack me and do damage to Kelly’s reputation, and make a mockery of people that have taken the time to write reviews, and the reviewer goes on to attack other guests staying in Kelly’s hotel, in your review you write “I would say this hotel is best for single men looking to sample the infamous night life in Patong; as the man next door to us was doing. Don't stay here as a couple or family” when this reviewer looked at Patong all you saw were negatives.

The statement you made “why go to an Aussie quality hotel”, this is more an attack on Aussies running hotels , we call this the tall poppy syndrome, if you had of opened your eyes you would have seen it is owned and run and fully staffed by Thais, and for your information I do all the work here for nothing plus as a foreigner I own nothing, any hard won profits all go to feeding, clothing, housing, and looking after a lot of kids and their families, things like their schooling, medical, and dental care, plus any Kelly’s profits gives their parents jobs and look after the old people back in the villages.
Tan a Thai owns and runs the place like all thai hotel for her family, she is a main prop because she can speak English and Thai, and without her I couldn’t survive or do anything here, and without me their life would be tough.
There is no welfare here, Tan and I are it, like a lot of Thai hotels its these family’s that work for next to nothing to give you a cheap holiday, and the over cheap massages and every other cheap thing tourists get, working for nothing is a humbling experience for me.

Putting focus on me using my name as if you really know me, after two short conversations you had a false perception of everything,
You say” I’m over bearing, but I did try”, these are two loose phrases without substance, I get the feeling your trying to belittle me, the statement I “did try”.
I not only try I’ve been at it for 35 plus years and I am highly successful here and in Australia and being successful in au’s triggers the tall poppy syndrome, sadly some hate success in other people, I never said anything when you were staying here, but I did pick it up you had a few issues with men money and success, you tried to belittle me, I ignored it then, but you couldn’t help yourself to have a cheap shot at me and Kelly’s hotel in your review.
The statement you made “why go to an Aussie quality hotel”, this is more an attack on Aussies running hotels, and again it’s called the tall poppy syndrome.
In all of my thirty five years in hotels there is one thing that really stands out apart from people’s naivety, is the people that want to pay the least, continually pushes prices lower, over barter, wants everything for nothing, and are the meanest, never happy, and they are the biggest complainers.
As for telling people not to go to a hotel run by an Aussi, nothing could be further from the truth, there are so many pluses in our favor, it seems everything positive escaped you, too much of your time was spent on upsetting yourself and listening to the man in the room next door, and to call him a sampler of the famous patong night life because he was staying at Kelly’s is a bit rough, he might have had his wife with him, you just guessed ?
The things we do for free save you money, we sort out things like language problems, taxi and tour scams, lots of information and free knowledge is given on tours. It took us years of mistakes to learn, we give sound money saving advice.
You mentioned Thai hotels, but talked about cheap in Chang Mai when you were here, I got the feeling it was about screwing the price down telling us how great they were, funny all my life in hotels, I hear down the road and up the road are always better, cheaper and greater.
Thais are friendly and sometimes exploited and over submissive to tourists, sadly that’s the Thai way and sadly they get used by working for nothing trying to please tourists and don’t seem to be able to say no, they are lovely people and it pains me to see tourists keep bartering prices down and down abusing their Thais generosity, this continual pushing prices below profit creates more poverty, and the go broke rate is extremely high, 600 to 1-000 Baht is not a fair price to pay for a room it’s not even close and we don’t and won’t do it, some people think these silly cheap prices are the going rate it not and still want cheaper, it’s the go broke rate, we know because we tried it and lost money.
We save the tourist big bucks, we organize tours for free, and get special prices, and you say don’t go Aussie, but we make sure the tours are the ones with the least hassles. Tourists don’t have the time or knowledge to do this, the quickness we can get you on tours and trips with the best price, at the fast rate of a different one every day at the cheapest price, we are there when you leave in the morning to make sure the buses turn up, and we call them if their late, booking offices can’t and don’t give this service, we do the exhausting job of getting all your taxis organized to save you getting ripped off or scammed at the airport, time consuming and stressful with never ending phone calls, and we never get kickbacks or ask for them, we’re just happy for everything to work smoothly, and look out if it ever goes wrong we cop it on a forum.
We have sorted out most if not all of the scams, you cannot possibly know about all the pitfalls and scams because my ten years here equates to knowing more than your ten minutes in Thailand and your review focus on none of that, to you there is nothing good about Kelly’s, your review really is extremely inappropriate,
The standard of our rooms is equal to if not better than most, but not according to you, full of bugs, and perhaps next time you should discuss the issues with us so we can help you, instead of writing about it when you leave, plus you got it all wrong.
To take any notice of this reviewer is to help you to have a pretty unhappy and expensive holiday, this raises my suspicions as to the motive being just personal, not pleasing you personally doesn’t rate an attack on the whole hotel.
As for being no good for kids, we have a lot of families and kids stay with us, more as the years go by, and as for this hotel being just for men that’s a good one, judging by this review you have some serious man issues, what can I say, and as for patong having infamous night life, only if you look for it.
I do see there are hundreds of different trips and tours for families, restaurants, lots of shows the likes of Fanta sea, the zoo, all the elephant trekking, go carting, white water rafting, stacks of stuff for families and kids, all the great beaches and beautiful islands, far too many to put in here, and you only noticed the decadent bit, I don’t know about that stuff and I live here, you must have had some very late nights because if there is decadence it way past my bed time.
I’m one of those people that sees good in everything I don’t look for bad, is there something wrong in your opinion about men on holidays and the hotel they choose to stay in, you are recommending family’s to stay in the beach area where all this night life is supposed to be, and as for the beach hotels being Thai, most are owned by big foreign corporations who employ and exploit those Thai people who you like waiting on you hand and foot..
As for distance to the big shopping center a few years ago I used to do it in four minutes, now days I do it in 6 minutes so I guess you’re a lot older than me taking ten minutes, life does that to us all.
The road is busy; there is not a road in patong that’s not busy, or even in Asia for that matter.
And your right about the fact that you only get what you pay for, at Kelly’s you get a great hotel a great room at a great price, I don’t know how you failed to see that as it’s very obvious to others, or maybe just a comparison with cheap Chang Mai hotels where your observations were clouded by price only, there is no comparison with Patong and Chang Mai two different places because it’s a rural part of Thailand, maybe you’re doing what a lot of travelers do just trying to force the price and quality down to suit your price needs by continually bagging hotels with false comparisons and prices and service that don’t exist.

This is the only bit you got right… (Why go to Thailand to stay at an Australian quality hotel?) Quality being the operative word, you sure contradict yourself a lot.
As for the rooms on the one hand you say their clean, on the other you say full of dead bugs, and on the point score you mark it down to mean unclean, what do you really mean, it seems you changed the details of the review to suit your personal attack on me.
I find down grading a hotel is normal procedure for some review writers.
To survive in Patong we have to have a lot of knowledge, just like all heavy duty tourist areas it’s full of pit falls. And your recommendation of the Thai beach front hotels in patong are you kidding they are not a patch on ours for price or quality this is just you talking rubbish, have you ever paid for a beach front hotel in patong I doubt it, if you could have afforded one what were you doing in Kelly’s, I don't think I can say much more about this review, but thanks anyway all reviews are helpful in some form or another, even if it’s to show the comparison between how some tourists think and behave..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Stayed at Kelly's for 10 nights, it was our first move away from a 5 star resort. How fantastic is this place. Great price fantastic staff. Thanks Dan and Dan for a great holiday. Booking again for next year won't stay anywhere else now.

Room Tip: room 501 has 2 balconies and connects with 502 great if you have kids and want some adult time as we...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
KellysOwner, Owner at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, December 25, 2011
Hi Bryan, thanks for taking time to write a fantastic review, looking foward to seeing you next year.

Regards Tan and Dan.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

We've stayed in some fabulous resorts in Phuket but if you want a fantastic place to stay with great, friendly down to earth staff, value for money, clean rooms and helpful advice stay at Kellys Hotel. The breakfast is pretty awesome too! We'll be back next year!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hi Kaytees.

Thanks for your kind review hope to see you again next year.

Thanks Tan and Dan.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Enjoyed our stay at Kelly's. Friendly, patient and helpful staff , spacious and clean room with a nice balcony looking over a distance Andaman sea. Overall good value for our money. Open plan shower a little bit hazardous. (Slipping on the wet floor)
Thanks to Dan for allowing me to use his private cellphone to sort out my banking cards.
Our taxi arrangement to and from the airport was well arranged and on time.
We had no problems with the location of the hotel as we hired a scooter which allowed us to be independent from public transport.
We slept well, no street noise disturbance in our room on the fourth floor. Your room will be made up whenever you are ready.(Sometimes very near to mid day as a result of Bangla road excurtions)
Dan's monstreous delicious breakfast got the better of me. First time in my life that i could not finish a breakfast.
If you are not looking for a glamarous hotel with a huge lobby and an equaly huge bill, but rather a cosy, very moderate priced, and friendly place to stay, then Kelly's is the hotel for you. Willem and Ria Prinsloo (South Africa)
NS the weather was great!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor is quite with a nice view on the pool area and also over patong and the ma...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks wild hoggs good to see people enjoying the phuket island the way you did, you must have rode that bike over every road, motor bike heaven.
Good luck hope you can make it again all the way from S Africia.

Thanks From Tan and Dan.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Will keep this short,

Stayed here with my girlfriend for about 12 days in February (2011). During this time we both got sick and had to stay in hospital on seperate occasions (due to dodgy water from tours) and the care that we received from staff was exemplary.

We were very pleased with what we recieved especially since it was incredibly cheap.

Some good points on the hotel;
Very, very helpful and friendly staff
Well maintained, spacious rooms. Slightly dated but everything was in perfect working order
Excellent process from start to finish, no mishaps whatsoever
Nice pool area, cheap food, Kellys breakfast is excellent
Great atmosphere

The only con
Location isnt perfect, but as people mention transport is cheap. Despite this we walked everywhere, anyway.

We were really happy with the whole experience and will have no hesitation in staying again.

Phil and Hayley

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Phil and Hayley.

Thanks for taking time to write a review, if you get sick in Thailand the very first thing is to go to pharmacy and tell them symptoms, do not leave this problem to long as it gets worse, they will give you a short course of tablets, and in on day your better, must take the full course or bug will come back, leave it to long and you could end up in hospital.

Thanks from Tan and Dan.
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

As the realities of everyday life have taken back over, the sun, heat and blue skies of Phuket have faded into a distant memory against waking up to the cold, grey skyline greeting me at home. The memories of my stay in Phuket will remain forever, helped in no doubt to the excellent accommodation, service, flexibility and local knowledge from Dan, Tan and all the staff at Kelly's.
I had originally planned and booked a holiday Phuket in March with friends, however personal problems intervened, which meant they went without me. After listening to their unrelenting praise, I took the decision to travel alone, and booked the penthouse suite for 9 days, then a sea front room for 4 (due to availability.) For the price, the Penthouse is fantastic value, although I spent very little time in the room during the day, it was great to have room to sit, watch a little TV or eat on the couch, or on either of the two balconies.
Rather than turn this into a mammoth essay, I'll put some quick bullets points as a summary;
+ Dan moved me to the Junior Penthouse for the last four days for free (instead of the seafront room)
+ Cleaning staff completely flexible when you have room cleaned if you want to sleep in (Thankfully!)
+ Sliding Door in room broke, but guy was there to repair within 30 minutes
+ Some people may put the location as a negative, but I liked being a little bit away from the beach and bangla road, it was quieter and only 50-100 baht by motorbike for those too lazy to walk!
- Somebody please gag that Rooster!
If you are planning on any excursions, please read the sign by reception that says "in Thailand, cheap means scam" I can vouch for this firsthand. I went on day trips to Phang Na and Phi Phi (both recommended), and on both occasions, it was obvious when people had taken the cheaper option. As an example, on the Phi Phi trip, certain boats did not allow their passengers off to feed the monkeys on monkey beach, they sat on their overcrowded boats, trying to get a good view from a good 30m away. They also take the shorter way round, which means visiting Maya beach in the morning, when it is so packed, it is impossible to enjoy. If in doubt, please take Dan's advise, and book via the hotel, as there will always be someone there to chase the tour company if the bus doesn't turn up!

All in all, a great stay, and when I go back to Phuket, Kelly's Hotel will be top of my list!

Alan.Jones

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Hi Allen.

Thanks for your kind review, its good to see someone has noticed the difference in tours, to us tours can be a headache we have sorted out a lot of the half priced half tour, pay fair and just and you will never get scammed, look for to cheap and beware, you get what you pay for, there is not much I can say here as you have pretty much covered it.

Thanks from Tan and Dan.,
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Everything positive wriiten about this place is true, there is really nothing to add, Dan is a font of information, ignore his advice at your peril, I stayed in the penthouse on my first visit to the country and was immediately put at ease by Dan and Tan, I spent some quality time chewing the fat with mine host putting the world right, 2 grumpy old farts.

Room Tip: you cannot beat the penthouse
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
KellysOwner, Owner at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thanks for taking time out to write a review, hope you and I resolved a few of the world’s problems, with the wisdom of years, our wonderful insight, gifted, highly inspired, stimulating, exhilarating, intelligent unbiased opinions on how it all should work, hope we can do it again sometime from Patong Beach Phuket Hotel Thanks for review, chairman Dan.

Been to Kelly's Hotel? Share your experiences!