“simply the best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 278 Hotels in Patong
melbourne
“simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

After travelling around thailand for the past 6 weeks, And staying in many hotels from Bangkok,Rayong,Udon Thani,Nachuak,Maha Sarakham,and several hotels in Patong,I have come to the conclusion that there is one stand out hotel that i have visited and that hotel is Kellys Hotel Patong.In describing Kellys hotel you would have to say it is unique,from the reception area, the pool and the position which looks out over the beach of Patong,All of the rooms have balconies,some have pool views some have sea and mountain views. The rooms are large clean and have spotless carpets,outside of the rooms there is a pleasant touch of plants which makes sitting outside a far more relaxing experience that other hotels simply do not match. The owner's Dan and his wife go out of there way to make your stay a very enjoyable one. Dan even cooks the most delicious breakfast you will ever eat, you will not get a better home style breakfast anywhere i can promise you that. Also there is one more point i would like to make i noticed in one review writen by a previous customer complaining about the Taxie service used by Kellys Hotel i would like to praise the taxie service they were there waiting for me,they were friendly and very efficient i had a late check in 2.30 AM she even took me to my room and checked me in. How good is that. This is my second stay here and I would most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
KellysOwner, Owner at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Thanks for the kind and informative review, it’s nice to see my old customers come back and get reviews pasted, they are people that are well travelled and notice the difference in Kelly's to other hotels, some want our cheap prices and over the top service, not so our repeat traveler, they also are around to see the way the place works, and are a valuable source of knowledge and have the ability to really compare us and what we have with others, I spent over 35 years in the hotel and pub industry and when we bought Kelly’s hotel guests get the benefit of my knowledge.
Guests read reviews and look at web sites but fail to see a lot of the very important things, this hotel is built to safety standards, things like a lift, balconies, back and front doors, fire escapes, fire extinguishers and alarms, views, fitted and built in furniture, no tiles to make loud noises above where you sleep, we are not part of a squeezed in shop house style of hotel with in a noisy bar district, we are stand alone with small gardens and pool, some hotels in Thailand are not legal compared to western standards, Kelly’s is, where homey and we own the freehold this means we do care about our asset, most in phuket are leased and go broke, we run it easy no frills to keep costs down, but charge enough to at least keep up the expensive maintenance, just great rooms cheap for what you get, we’re only 5-10 min to everything, and far enough to get a good sleep day or night.

Taxi service we don't own we just organize for you, we have a good family relationship with them and 95% of the time usually no problems, this reviewers plane was late and he used all of the information on taxi email, nothing is perfect so if your flight is late, immigration delays, or any other confusion, sometimes if planes late and problems with pick up times they will call and ask for rooms No and will check you in, this saves everyone waiting around, I have removed my phone No from Taxi email because the customers called me instead of Taxi in the middle of the night, not appreciated, try calling the owner of a big chain hotel in the middle of the night or anytime for that matter..
Taxis get charged parking fees over first half hour and if your late they drive out of the airport again to refresh parking ticket, if the taxi is late, usually there is a reason and if it's late don't yell at us call the taxi, chances are you have not seen him in the crowd, 97% of people don't yell, then there is the 1-3 % that get upset, and call me in the middle of the night, we've all had to deal with these type at sometime in our lives, and they get upset and write terrible reviews, and lie.
We don’t claim to have a perfect solution to taxis but it’s as good as it gets.

Thanks again for the review, Tan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

stayed at Kellys for 9 nights in the 5th floor penthouse in September, great views.... the room was cleaned everyday to how it was the day i arrived....Dan the owner is a top bloke and is very helpful and informative and always up for a chat! his lovely wife Tan is also a great help i even saw her at the local supermarket and she was happy to help me find what i was looking for when i was lost!...
i chose kellys after seeing the reviews for myself and i believe it is as good as everyone says it is, yes its not the crown towers but nor are you paying for that luxury and service but if your after a relaxed feeling not like a big chain hotel then kellys is for you, if you want someone to be at your beck and call 24hrs a day then kellys isnt for you.. i will be coming back in march and i know where ill be staying! where else but kellys.. thanks again Dan & Tan and will see you again soon ! regards Blake McKinnis
i will be coming to stay again in march!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hi Blake thanks for the great review, you have pretty much nailed it we're not the crown towers, we don't carry on with all the hoity stuff, we're just running a small but nice hotel in a tough market place, we know what we have and we try hard to look after it and the people that stay, we love to have down to earth people that fit in and make life pleasant, those type of people always gets the most enjoyment out of a holiday, happy people have a happy time and so do we, they get the most information, save the most money, and gets on the best trips, good to see a review with a name, hope to see you soon Regards Tan & Dan.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

My friends and I found this place on the internet and decided to book it because it was an attractive looking hotel for a bargain price.

The hotel certainly stood up to our expectations, but on arrival, Dan the owner noticed an injury on my leg which I'd sustained about 4 days earlier, in a scooter accident.

We didn't know it at the time, but Dan (the owner) knows pretty much everything there is to know about Phuket - from the right price for the right tours, the local scams to watch out for and even where to seek medical treatment.

Well, he basically took one look at my gross scooter leg (which at this stage, was starting to swell up and was dark red) and called for a taxi to take me to Phuket International Hospital. The taxi was cheap, and waited around for hours while I was getting my leg treated. It turned out that it was badly infected and I ended up needing an IV drip antibiotic for 4 days.

For the rest of our stay, Dan was an invaluable source of information. You can ask him just about anything related to what you want to do while on your holiday, and he will give you a straight answer about how to do it, where to do it, and how much it will cost (and if there's a chance you'll get scammed).

So in summary, great hotel, great staff and great advice - nice on, Dan!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Stayed at Kellys again, I have lost count how many times now and as always the stay was exceptional. Thanks to Dan and all the staff, their personal sevice to me and I imagine all the people who stay here is above and beyond the call of duty. I will be back in September Dan so keep the bar well stocked and the Bacon and egg Sandwiches at the ready.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
KellysOwner, Owner at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Thanks for the very kind review, and thanks to my many return customers, your reviews are very important to us, please send more, it makes booking rooms a pleasure because old customers know how it all works, easy for us...
Chiang Rai, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Trouble at Kelly’s
I had a horrible experience on my arrival at Kelly’s, my first booking at the place after many, many years of happy holidays elsewhere in Patong. It prompted me to leave immediately and find another hotel.
The owner (if that’s who he was) will probably say that I was an arrogant, unattractive character who behaved badly on arrival and upset his staff. I will say that he was bad-tempered from the start, took no time to pay attention to what was going on and erupted into a fit of aggressive, foul-mouthed anger with little or no provocation.
Kelly’s make a big fuss on their website about booking one’s airport arrival taxi through them. I (and a friend also intending to stay there) did this five months before the holiday, and I confirmed my arrangements by email a week before. We received what looked like very efficient confirmation, with comprehensive contact details.
There was no driver waiting for me when I arrived at Phuket airport, more or less on time. I waited fifteen or twenty minutes and then called Kelly’s. Whoever it was who answered didn’t seem to know who I was, so I made a second call to another hotel number. The driver would be there shortly, I was assured.
A driver did then turn up with a hastily scrawled paper which he said he had just had to write in his car, not having had previous notice of the trip. At one point on the way he asked me where Kelly’s was. I began to think that things at Kelly’s weren’t quite up to the standards they proclaim on the website.
On arrival I was greeted by a charming young receptionist in a chaotic little office, and I asked him (in Thai) what had been the problem with the taxi. He became rather flustered and took out papers and files, including my confirmation email of the previous week. He clearly had no idea what had been happening, so I was saying never mind and let’s check in.
At this point I became aware of a large farang standing at my side, who then asked what the problem was. I said that the taxi hadn’t arrived and was asking what had happened. He went into an immediate minor rage and berated the boy, told him to phone the taxi company, grabbed the receiver from him and proceeded to [--] and blind down the phone in a thoroughly alarming fashion. I was already deeply uncomfortable and anxious about the kind of place I’d booked myself into.
After that, things just went from bad to worse. Suddenly the full force of the owner’s wrath was turned on me. I conscientiously avoided becoming angry, but said how unpleasant all this was, that I was simply asking why they had not sent a taxi as agreed, and was disappointed that my first encounter with the place was so difficult. The owner continued to swear and insult me until the point that I said I would not stay with them, and that they had just lost the custom of two guests for a total of two weeks. He indicated indifference to the loss of cash and suggested I wasn’t the kind of guest they wanted.
In fairness, he offered to take me to another hotel – an offer I refused, wanting to be out of his presence as rapidly as possible. (There was aggression in the air.)
I texted my friend (arriving on a later flight) and told him we weren’t staying at Kelly’s. In response to his mail to Kelly’s cancelling his booking, he received a reply reflecting the deeply flawed opinion that Kellys had already formed of me.
Apart from factually untrue assertion about the taxi (it was not waiting), the brief response is full of distorted, negative perception too. The aggression and the nastiness came entirely from the boss who dealt with his own staff and the taxi company, and then with me, in a manner and with language which was provocative, deeply offensive and shocking. One remains mystified how so many others have found the place so overwhelmingly charming.
My friend and I moved to another, reliable establishment, where I have stayed before, and if there’s anything near to a perfect holiday world, it’s there. The kindly welcome was a relief after the turbulence of Kellys. We had a narrow escape.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
KellysOwner, Owner at Kelly's Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
This type of review to anyone with common sense has to ask themselves how does booking into a room go bad, you have to be here in person to see the antics of this reviewer, how can booking into a room get you into trouble, it’s not rocket science, behave and be polite, should do it, be nice and you will never have trouble, “common sense is the word”

This is the second time this person has put on a “malicious review attempt” first one was taken off, this one is in under the “check in” experience, and completely “different” and nothing like what happened;

And “terrible” Kelly’s is not, the review is terrible, for a start he never stayed here, we never let him, he was unceremoniously asked to leave, the review is based on and incident the reviewer brought on himself.

He abused Thai staff and submitted everyone to terror tactics because the taxi was late, and that’s if it was really was late, nothing to do with us if the taxi was late, we have done our job, in our 100 star service, you have email address, phone numbers of the taxi company all contacts, everything is in place for you to call if there’s a problem.

There can be many reasons for a taxi problem, most of the time it’s because of human error, you went to the wrong exit, your bags were late, the plane was late, no parking spots, you didn’t see him with his sign, in this case a piece of paper, instead of patience you reined your abuse on Thai staff at Kelly’s,

From the airport to Kelly’s is a long time to stay upset, you should look at an anger management course.
Taxis can be a problem for many reasons, we fixed most of these problems with our 100 star friendly services that you never got to experience, and in reality that small problem you turned into a mountain all by yourself.

You never stayed here and had an opinion based on nothing you experienced here, but one you created here, you had a problem with a taxi, you never stayed at the hotel yet abused us, and hotel is terrible, how ironic, that is.

You had an opinion based on a late taxi, and rated “terrible” a hotel you never stayed in, and you as a sole reviewer want everyone to believe your an innocent fine upstanding person that did nothing to deserve getting told to leave a hotel because you did nothing wrong, just being polite and going about your business being the friendly fairy, will not get you kicked out of a hotel, you abused a Thai staff for no other reason other than a taxi was a few minutes late, you “were told to leave” and we offered you a lift to another hotel, “you had that part in your first review that we offered you a lift” deleted in this review.

You used a very pompous loud aggressive and abusive manner to talk down to a Thai boy just doing a job with nothing to do with a late taxi; I was standing 50 meters away when I first heard you yelling. Your gripe was with a taxi being late, nothing to do with the Thai me or anyone that’s life, thing don’t always go to plan, we do our best with the taxi scam and organize everything to the best we can, you did get here so why all the noise, not something to abuse any one over, but you did and it didn’t turn out so well, maybe if you had of seen me first you might have been more polite.

I could hear your yelling from the pool area, I walked down to see what was going on and “stood behind you”, you never notice me standing and listening to you loud ranting, you went on and on about nothing and determined to make the young charming Thai boys life miserable, I could tell by his face he was upset with you, so I tried to enter to see what the problem was, and the big mistake you made, you “strong armed me with your elbow” you stopped me from coming in the door, blocking my way with your aggressive body language, you never bothered to look to see who it was, you were using you size to stop me, at that stage, you didn’t seem to notice or care, to busy giving the boy a verbal payout, first you don’t elbow people, you could not hear me over your own loud voice.
You did not see me or look to see who was behind you, I was trying to get passed you, you ignored my request to get passed, you were too busy being a nasty old man, I moved you out of the way with a polite but firm excuse me, and asked what the problem was, and you then wanted to treat me as subservient to you, you got caught out abusing the Thai, and embarrassed at the fact you did get caught out, then you trying to save face by talking down to me.

I offered to drive you to another hotel, Aussies have a problem with the subservient thing, you persisted in having your own way and I persisted in having mine, all petty stuff and here we are with more petty stuff, I refused a room to you and offered to drive you to another hotel, I would have paid for it to get rid of you , but no you demanded to be taken to you room, and no by now I didn't want you, and here we are two old blokes both upset, a very bad tempered British “pretend gentleman” and an Aussie that’s not putting up with your abuse over something that was not our fault, imagine what else you had in store for us, if we let you stay, I have been that road, more abuse, not likely.

Hotels are not waiting for someone to come along and abuse them, there are boundaries and we have limitations, and you sir bent all of the rules; I am not and will not be subservient to anyone’s abuse.

You say I was bad tempered from the start, wasn’t it you that got upset at the late taxi, and wasn’t it you that started abusing the Thai, wasn’t it you yelling and attracting attention, wasn’t it you that used his elbows to keep me out of my owns office, wasn’t you with the aggressive body language blocking the door, did I do any of that to you, no, and your upset because you got caught out standing over the Thai boy, you’re a big guy intimidating a small guy with your size, a big guy that that didn’t see me behind you, bullies are like that and bullies always complain, and you are not the kind of guest I wanted to have, your to uppity, angry and demanding, plus you lie on reviews.

Up to the point before I heard you yelling, you never seen me, now why would I bother to come and listen to you booking in unless you were causing trouble, I had to break off a conversation to see what you were upset about, and the narrow escape from Kelly’s a nice touch to the pantomime, The only true part is where you write, I will say you were arrogant and behaved badly, funny about that bit, why did you write that.

(The owner (if that’s who he was) will probably say that I was an arrogant, unattractive character who behaved badly on arrival and upset his staff. I will say that he was bad-tempered from the start, took no)
Tokyo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We booked this hotel after reading all the trip advisor reviews. For the price and location, I still think it's a good deal, but I didn't really understand the raves. I think mostly because we did not get to chat with the owner until we left. Bed and room were comfortable and we loved being right next to all the shopping, and a short walk from the beach. However, it didn't go above and beyond like a lot of people mentioned. Rooms are fine, but nothing amazing. Shower was a bit of something to get used to, as it's an open design , you have to be careful not to leave your clothes lying near the shower. However, I actually had hot water and decent water pressure here and that was a Thailand first for me. On our first few days, it was very hard to find a staff person. There wasn't anyone in the office or in the breakfast area, either. We had to wait to ask questions and keep returning back. After the first two days, this was no longer an issue. That being said, on the last day we had a late night flight and the hotel was very accomodating and let us check out late.
On another note, we really loved reading the welcome book that mentioned "geeks and their magic sticks", it was informative but also a pretty hilarious read.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thanks for the kind review, You must have missed me I must have been sick or on a rare day off I work 365 days a year, and maybe you never poked your head around into where I slave away answereing reviews, time consuming and stressful stuff, next time you in town I will shout you a beer and have a chat.
Downham Market, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here in July with two other friends making our party a three. We had arranged to spend 5 nights here but being unable to book a hotel the evening we arrived in Thailand we made our stay 6 nights, booking our room late. The staff were very helpful and accommodated our problem very last minute. We used the hotel taxi service which meant we avoided scams, and paid 600baht while the taxi services from the airport ask for 1000baht plus. Dan, the owner couldn't be friendlier, we often found ourselves chatting to him while waiting for our breakfast and he always had interesting stories to tell. The little Thai man, or 'little man' as we called him couldn't have been friendlier, cooked our breakfast out of obvious breakfast hours and booked taxis an tours for us last minute!
The rooms were always clean, fresh towels and new bottles of water everyday! we had a balcony looking over the pool, and you could just about see the sea. If you want a beach front hotel, don't book kellys, but the location is just about 15mins walk away from beach and the famous bangla road! I would come back if I came back to Thailand. Great value for money and great vibe.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Kelly's Hotel? Share your experiences!