“Fantastic - one of the best steaks ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sam's Steaks and Grill

Sam's Steaks and Grill
52 Thaweewong Rd | Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand
+66 76 370 200
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 414 Restaurants in Patong
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Undeniably the number one Steakhouse in Patong, the readers of TripAdvisor have recently recognized us as the best fine dining experience in Phuket, and amongst the very best restaurants in Thailand! A classic steakhouse with elegant service, great wine selection and only the very best imported beef combining to make the perfect evening, every time! The dress code for 'smart casual' at all times. We prefer that men will wear long trousers and collared shirt, short or long sleeved, with shoes and that ladies are also suitably attired for dinner. However, we understand that we are in a hot, 'holiday' environment and we are happy to receive guests with more casual attire providing the 'smart casual' tone is maintained. Guests will not be allowed to dine if dressed in beach-wear or sports-wear. Thank you for kind consideration of our other diners.
Singapore, Singapore
“Fantastic - one of the best steaks ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place is a gem and I would strongly recommend it for a special occasion or even for a business meeting when you want to clinch a deal (not sure many biz meetings take place in Patong, but hey, what do I know).

The restaurant is only open for dinner (at least that's the impression I got). We received a warm welcome even though we were dressed in beach wear - there were others who were in dinner casuals - and we were treated just the same. Quickly guided to a seat the people tending to us were very courteous without being sychophantic.

The menu is perfect, offers 6-8 types of steaks and then some seafood, pastas etc. The appetizers looked very appetizing, but I'm a frugal eater so couldn't justify a foie gras + a Wagyu and hence opted for the Wagyu (9 marbling). My wife being vegetarian wasn't too happy with my choice of restaurant and settled for onion rings (well, she's sweet enough to accompany). The steward was kind enough to advice that the slab I'd opted for would be fatty and recommended a wine sauce to go along. I opted for some sauteed potatoes & creamy spinach too which are part of the meal.

After the orders were placed, we were served some warm bread and a fresh chicken spring roll compliments of the house. The steak was ready in no time and boy, it sure was one of the best pieces of meat I've eaten, especially coming from S'pore where the prices are sky high and service mediocre at best. The meat was exactly how I like it, medium done, not too burnt on the outside, pink and tender on the inside, not chewy or tough at all. The juices were still visible on the steak and the sauce didn't overpower the taste of the steak. The potatoes and creamy spinach weren't the best I've eaten, but hey, that didn't matter, the piece of meat was all that I wanted! Thankfully I hadn't over-ordered as I couldn't even finish my steak! But that's no reflection of its quality, just my appetite.

To top it up we were offered complimentary desserts of a chocolate coated mint ice-cream lollypop which was presented beautifully. So even though we ordered just 1 steak (yes it was the most expensive on the menu) and onion rings we still received the same service offered to others who had polished off bottles of wine and loads more food. FANTASTIC.

I will certainly visit Sam's every time that I am Phuket. Blown away.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
layberry, Manager at Sam's Steaks and Grill, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear "Traveleator"

Thank you for taking the time to share such comprehensive and positive feedback with us. I am really delighted that Sam's has truly lived up to its reputation as the top steakhouse in Phuket and has delivered such a wonderful experience on every level. Your comments with regards the quality of the food, the helpful and knowledgeable staff and the overall ambiance are all very gratefully received and I will be sure to share with the restaurant manager, Panom, and his team.

Yes, you are correct that we are only open for dinner and we do hope to see you back again soon. As reservation is normally advised, please feel free to contact me directly by email (as below) and I will be happy to assist in making the arrangements for your next visit.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
“Top class food/restaurant !!!! Great staff!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Thanks once again to trip advisor the food was great and the service was also. Had steak and the scallops and prawns for entree top notch. Would recommend to any one .

• 5 of 5 stars Food
layberry, Manager at Sam's Steaks and Grill, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear "Tbag75"

Thank you for sharing your feedback and I am very pleased that we have lived up to our reputation on TripAdvisor and have exceeded your expectations! We look forward to seeing you back again soon and, in the meantime, I will share your comments with the team at Sam's

Shanghai, China
“Great food, Great service, Great atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

At here in May 2013 and was surprised by the dining experience. I brought 3 friends back during my current visit now in October 2013 and just ate there 2 nights ago. Again... great meal in a great place.

It's a surprise because it is in a Holiday Inn... but the Holiday Inn Resort in Patong is not your average Holiday Inn.. it's a very nice resort hotel and one of the best on the strip in Patong anyway. And Sam's Steakhouse was a true dining experience.

I had the Australian Rib-eye but one of our party also had the Wagyu Ribeye... all steaks were excellent. The various courses and pallet cleansers that come with it are all great. The final touch of the dry ice-served chocolate covered mint ice cream ball on a stick is very cool. The service is impeccable and the staff are all very friendly. The atmosphere is beautiful and this is the one restaurant in Phuket you want to wear a collared shirt (guys) when you go as it is truly a 5-star dining experience.

Highly recommended!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
layberry, Manager at Sam's Steaks and Grill, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear "blandmc"

Thank you for your "great, great, great" review and it is wonderful to note that as a returning guest, we are still able to surprise you and exceed your expectations! Your comments on the high quality of the food, the general ambiance and the service from the staff are all very much appreciated and I will certainly share your feedback with the restaurant manager, Panom, and his team. I do you hope you will have another opportunity to visit again soon!

Shanghai, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent choice for a great steak dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our dinner there last night. The food was excellent and and our steaks were cooked to perfection. The sauces are kept warm with candles and that earns Sam's extra points for attention to every delicious detail. The wine sommelier did a wonderful job helping us select an exceptional wine. I would not recommend it for families with children under 12 but ours are quite accustomed to fine dining and they loved it. We definitely will return on our next visit to Phuket.

Visited October 2013
Dear "catm3016"

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and I am delighted that you and your family have all had such an enjoyable and memorable experience at Sam's. Your comments on the quality of the food and the exceptional service from the team are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share with the restaurant manager, Panom, and his team. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Melbourne, Australia
“Walked in off the street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

What a lovely surprise. Everything was wonderful, staff,surroundings and food. It was my birthday and many lovely extras were provided to our party of 8. Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
layberry, Manager at Sam's Steaks and Grill, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear "Sandra L"

Thank you for your very positive feedback and I am delighted that Panom and his team at Sam's have made your birthday celebration an evening to remember! We hope to see you back again soon!