“A bit pricey for what your getting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Orchid Inn

You added Grand Orchid Inn to your Saves list
Grand Orchid Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78 / 17 - 18 Soi Dr Wattana | Thaweewong Rd, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #119 of 285 Hotels in Patong
“A bit pricey for what your getting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Pros:
Close to the beach and bangala rd
24h reception
Friendly staff
Clean room
Fridge
Safe
Good shower
Fresh sheets daily
Room sprayed with anti mosquito spray

Cons:
No windows in room
Slightly over priced

• Stayed February 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed four nights here recently and found it to be a pleasant experience. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the receptionist/manager (?) who speaks fairly good English with Thai accent. The room came with a small attached bathroom with powerful shower, with hot shower available, towel for two, soap and shampoo made available and replaced daily. Drinking water, coffee and tea replenished daily. There's an electronic safe that we made full use of, and a television set with lots of Thai channels but also has channels showing programs in Korean, Chinese, English, Russian and French.

There is wi-fi available but at where we were (4th floor), the signal was weak and intermittent. The room is cleaned daily.

I like its proximity to the beach and almost everything else is within walking distance...Bangla Road, street shopping, restaurants and fast-food joints. On the Soi (lane) where it is located, there are four or five massage places as well as restaurants. The only thing you have to do is smile and put up with people trying to get you into their restaurant/massage joint/shop. They may be aggressively promoting their outlet but please decline with manners. These people are just doing their job.

Next door is Scuba Cat, a PADI dive center that organises dive trips to sites around Phuket (I'll do a separate review for this) while just across is Elizabeth Motorcycle Rental and Tours. For Baht 300 and your passport, you could rent a motorbike (135cc) for a day, as long as you return it before 10pm. Give it a try. We thoroughly enjoyed our ride around Phuket. The guy who manages the place is very helpful in pointing at the map where and what you should go and see. Just be sure to fill up the first chance you get.

The day before you depart, please let the receptionist know of your flight's departure time so she could advise when you should depart Patong for the airport. She can make the arrangement for your transfer to the airport.

Would I return? Yes, I would. It was what I had expected for the price I paid. But be warned, there's no elevator/lift, nor is there a porter to help you with your luggage. So, try travel light if you plan to stay here.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Arrived hours before check in time, but was allowed straight in to room and escorted by lovely receptionist Mog. She was very helpfull throughout our 14 nights stay as was Dit the night receptionist.. The beach is at the end of hotels street and close to Bangla Road. The rooms are cleaned every day, Clean towells bottled water and tea and coffee replaced without fail. A great run hotel with 5 star service at buget prices. Paul and Jim would like to say a special thanks to Mog, she's a diamond !!!

Room Tip: Front rooms have balcony overlooking street
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night as we arrived in patong a night early and our booked hotel had no free rooms.
Pros...
Staff very helpful
Excellent location
Free beach towels

Cons...
Very poor air con which didn't ventilated the room. Was hard to sleep as so warm
Our room had the little damp/mould water collectors dotted everywhere as the room clearly suffered from a damp problem aswell as numerous air fresheners to cover the smell which made theroom smell of over powering lemon
No lift
Quite tired looking rooms
Our view was a wall and and balcony with workers on who could see in on us from only about two metres away.

The hotel we moved to the next day was the same price and ten times nicer which is probably why I think it was slightly poor value. It's acceptable and noway near the worst we could have had but for the price you can get much more

• Stayed September 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at this place for three nights and was satisfied with the hotel and staffs.
I'm used to staying at 4 or 5 stars hotels in Phuket and this is my first time I stay at a 600baht per night hotel! And I have no complaint at all! The room was very clean, basic ( aircond, drinking water, clean bathroom,clean towels and beach towels ).
The location is superb - 3mins to Patong beach, lots of eateries within walking distance, 15mins walk to jungceylon mall, 5mins walk to Bangla road.
The reception, Suchittra is very nice and friendly!
Will definitely be staying at this place the next time I travel to Phuket!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed here in the middle of June and felt I had to write a review after having such a comforting experience at The Grand Orchid. I arrived late at night, my bags were whisked away to the top floor to my upgraded room (I had booked direct on their website, for only three nights but they upgraded me because of that). The lovely staff showed me my room, where everything was spotless. Don't expect luxury, but an air con that works, free water every day and a clean bathroom with plenty of water was all I needed. The staff were happy to help me out with questions, bookings, day trips and eating recommendations. I decided to extend my booking and had some family joining me. The family were also upgraded just so they could have the room next to mine. The seal the deal for me though was one particular lady at the front desk, I'm sorry I didn't catch her name. When I asked her about travelling by myself in a taxi to Karon beach, she was adamant that she would not let me. By myself she said was too dangerous for a female and she couldn't let me do it. This same saint of a woman also came up to my room to check on me one of the days because she hadn't seen me all day and was worried I may be sick, especially since I was by myself. I had developed a rash from some cashews that was all over, itchy and quite painful and the moment I explained that to her she offered some allergy tablets of hers which she thought would sort me out. I CANNOT have asked for more of an oohhh moment. She was so lovely, and I felt completely looked after. I would definitely stay there again. It is a hundred steps away from the beach and close to everything else. The only drawback was no pool but for a small fee you can use some of the other hotel pools nearby, or just make do with the beach.

Room Tip: I had a room on the top floor with a balcony. Room was perfect for one person, space for luggage may...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Been on a trip to Thailand with a shoe string budget and stayed at this hotel for couple of days. The place has a superb location close to the beach and the shopping areas. Also lot of food options nearby. The staff is generally polite and did not have any issues with the language.

The rooms are not 5 star and don't expect a lavish facilities, but the place is decent and clean.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Orchid Inn? Share your experiences!