“So Good - Not the first time I've enjoyed the amazing sunset, dining & hospitality + certainly not the last!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Joe's Downstairs

Joe's Downstairs
223 / 3 Prabaramee Road | Kalim, North Patong, Patong, Kathu, Phuket, Thailand
076-618-245
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #103 of 396 Restaurants in Patong
Cuisines: Tapas, Contemporary, International, Californian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Multi-Award winning Joe's Downstairs is well known as "The" place to dine on the west coast of Phuket. Serving an ecclectic mix of only the freshest ingredients availble, 2008/2010 Thailand Chef of The Year Aaron Hooper's menu is well regarded as one of the finest on the island. One of Phuket's most stunning restaurants Joe's Downstairs is located right on the sea with breathtaking views of Kalim Bay and Patong Bay. This backdrop, combined with the all white interior and terrazzo bar make Joe's a great Phuket restaurant to meet friends for drinks, a Wine Spectator award winning wine list, an extensive tapas menu, and exquisitely prepared main courses ranging all the way from The Famous Joe's Burger to Live Maine Lobster.
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Joes Downstairs is one of those hidden gems in the world that I have been lucky enough to find, and it's one of the few places I would go out of my way to visit, while travelling through South-East Asia, hands down!

I was first recommended this gorgeous place in 2010 during my first three months spent in Thailand. A few years later and this little spot deserves every praise which I left it with during my last trip. So much so that it became both a highlight of one brunch and a subsequent late night dinner during a long weekend to Phuket last month.

As far as ambience goes - this place has it made. A picturesque north-western view of the bay, cliffs jutting out onto the Andaman Sea makes this private and peaceful spot a great place to relax, enjoy a fine meal and take in a more un spoilt piece of the otherwise bustling Patong.

Staff are a winner here - friendly, attentive, immaculately presented and all smiles - appreciate your patronage and generously depict the very best of Thai hospitality - making great use of what the 'Land of Smiles' is all about!

Now for my two cents on the all essential food & wine quality of the restaurant/open lounge.
Wine + drinks menu was comprehensive, modestly priced and mixed cocktails were of a very high standard. I'm not much of a cocktail drinker on account of the fact that a truly good cocktail is rare to find. In this case, I was happy to order several. I recommend the Blueberry Martini - it's a taste of Thailand I think I will savor for years to come.

Food - one word - great. Lobsters on both occasions were prepared with finesse and expertly presented, with a focus on the protein, rather than the multitude of side dishes, which usually lessen the appreciation of such a staple dish. The laundry list of starters makes for one of those times when I could happily make a meal of them alone. And let me tell you, every one of them was just plain good. Dinner alike the second time that weekend provided me with a very fine burger. Again - one of those things I've only ever had 3 times in my life that have made me smile. This was one of those three times :)

I don't mean to get on my little soapbox too much about one place at a time. But when I love a place I visit, it's all smiles from me. This is one of those places - Highly recommended !!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Thai first
“GREAT FOOD IN A GREAT ATMOSPHERE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I've been there on Dec 29th 2012. I had a very nice dinner with 2 friends of mine came from London. Ita was a great choice, the atmosphire is great, nothing like the typical restaurants you can find in Patong... much more classy and "chic", but not that expensive though.
If you want to make a good impression to a nice girl, this is the place you should bring her.
Hands down
P.S. don't foget to book in advance, seems that they are pretty busy in high season..

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sunshine Coast
“Best part of our Phuket trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Do yourself a favour & go to Joes. This was the best food by a mile & reasonably priced. Dear by Patong standards but this is real food worth every cent in a beautiful restaurant so leave you pluggers & singha tank tops at home boys. this is place worth dressing up for. First went there for the start of a hens night where we had tapas but went back with my husband the next night for the full dining experience. The food is superb, cocktails & wine list impressive, the location breathtaking & service faultless. Wish I could go back. Often.

Oslo, Norway
“Good food, great view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Joe's is a nice retreat from the busy streets of Patong. Perfect beachside location, very friendly staff and excellent food. We had the tapas and the wontons and the chicken skewers were amazing! Very good coctails also. Highly recommended! Although its a bit more expensive its worth it!!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very good food at U.S. prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Joe's is a beautiful restaurant in the Ban Rim Pa complex just up the hill north of Patong. I dinged the place a star because at the roughly Washington, D.C.-equivalent prices it asks for its food -- much more than I've seen at other high-end restaurants in Phuket, such as Two Chefs -- the experience had better be near-perfect. It was very good, but not perfect.

One person in our five-person group ordered an entree while the rest shared from the tapas menu. The tapas dishes came out very quickly and our companion watched us eat while waiting for his entree, which wasn't served until the rest of us had nearly finished our meals. The servers were very attentive and friendly, especially Sue, who appeared to be in charge of the front of the house. Even so, the experience felt a bit rushed, all the more odd because the restaurant was only perhaps three-quarters full when we arrived, about 8:15, and nearly empty when we left.

All of the food was excellent. I especially liked the tuna tartare (we had seconds) and the asparagus soup. The entree, a pecan-encrusted snapper, was delicious. For dessert, the table split a lemon tart, also very good.

The view from the restaurant is amazing; try to get a table on the outdoor deck, if you can.

• Visited January 2013