“Change of Management - Not as good as before” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Stoney Monday Oasis Hotel

You added Stoney Monday Oasis Hotel to your Saves list
Stoney Monday Oasis Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35/1 Rat-u-tit Road Patong Beach Kathu Phuket 83150 | Patong Beach, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #256 of 285 Hotels in Patong
Malaysia
“Change of Management - Not as good as before”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I stayed here from Feb 2- Feb 5 2010. My reservation was made after I read the past reviews here but sadly, I think management has since changed.

The staff here are not really friendly nor do most of them understand English as stated. In fact they don't seem to care about your well being at all. The owner is now a Thai lady and not a gentleman as previously was.

There were three of us, so we took a 2 bedroom and added 200baht for the extra person because we did not want an extra bed (300 baht).

Our initial room was alright but lacked a hair dryer and water kettle as one would usually expect. The air conditioner started to leak water after a while and it was quite difficult to explain to the staff what was happening because they did not understand English. And even after I showed one of the staff the room condition, all she said was "okay okay" and went back downstairs to chit chat with her friend. We had to wait for 20 mins before any real action took place.

Having said that, they did offered us a room switch to one of the bigger rooms in the hotel for no extra charge. I think this was acceptable and fair. In the bigger rooms, you get amenities like cutlery, water kettle, bigger fridge and hair dryers.

I suppose if you had a bigger budget, the bigger room (which comes with a living room) would be a better choice. Note however, that the hotel does not have elevators and at night it can be quite noisy. But the rooms were clean. Hotel not disable-people friendly.

Location wise, it was quite ideal. Just a short 5 mins from the beach and 7 mins from the night markets.

Price wise, I would say it's standard. But I think from my experience, I would rather stay in a hotel in Phuket Town, and bus into Patong Beach when I want to come in via the mini buses that only cost 250bath.

Overall, I think the hotel was not spectacular but alright if you are traveling on a budget. But I think there would be better hotels for the price in the same area.

A side tip: There's a travel agency called "Dummy Travel Agency" (should have been a big hint) that I wouldn't recommend because of their attitude towards our guide (which was insulting) and their lack of good deals.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Families
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I cannot believe that anyone, except maybe for the owners of this hotel, can write anything positive about this place. After reading reviews on the internet. I booked this hotel for one week, but after one night I packed my stuff and moved out.

• Liked — Departing
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

I kind of found Stoney Monday by accident and I am glad I did. It is definitely not a 5star resort. And then again it is not a crappy little guest house... This cool little hotel/bar/restaurant is right in the heart of Patong but just a bit off the beaten path. You can hang around near the hotel and get some great local food and girls or wander into or onto Bangla Roads for great dancing and lots more girls!! Whatever you prefer on your trip to Phuket Stoney Monday may be a great Aussie hideaway that makes you smile. The owner and his staff do whatever they can to make sure you enjoy yourself either in their bar or where ever you want to go. They have a tour desk on site, a spa across the street and a great Friday night BBQ.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

I stayed here for a second time this month. Last was about last year -- you can look up the prior review under my username. Basically, it's still the same great value for a Patong hotel that I thought it was last time. The staff is courteous and knowledgeable with local questions. The water from the tap and in the toilet bowl had a brownish tinge this time -- not sure if it's phuket wide -- so be careful when showering or brushing your teeth. The Australian management and farang friends were there this time, which gave it a bit of a different feel -- active bar in the lobby all day, a bit rowdy. I do prefer when it's the locals working the bar and restaurant as they are quite a lot of fun. I was sad to see that Bom Bom left Stoney Monday to move overseas -- she was quite fun to chat with. Overall, great value, and I do plan to stay here again whenever in Patong. I used there spa across the street this time -- typical value for mid-up-market spa services -- clean facilities. Oh yes, free wi-fi throughout the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Hatyai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

I am surprised when I visited the Lobby bar at Stoney Monday. Everyone seem to know each other very well including all staffs, guests and owner, Rell. Every time I return back there, I always feel like welcome to party. It's so much fun and happy.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Bangalore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Stoney Monday was a rather basic small cozy hotel, north of Patong beach. Just a few minutes walk from there and you are at the beach. The hotel was spacious, nice, clean, and quiet . The people at the reception were very helpful with all queries. The breakfast included the basic bread, butter, bacon, and egg fair.
Overall, we had a really pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Perth, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

This place rocks!!!
I'm so glad that I was not deterred by a couple of negative reviews from people who obviously take their own personal rain cloud on holiday with them.
The staff were awesome!!! From the first contact to the last, we were made welcome and nothing was too much trouble. We were even invited to the staff party! What terrific people!
The bar is a haven of sociability where you will make friends for life. The Friday night bbq is a culinary feast not to be missed and the bar staff make cocktails to die for.
No lift? Great I say - we needed the exercise after all that fantastic food and drink.
The place was beautifully clean and tidy and in my view the attention to detail made it worthy of an extra star.
We did the recommended tours - do not miss the white water rafting, elephant shows, Fantasea, James Bond Island canoeing and wonderful diving. All of course followed by a relaxing massage in the hotel's day spa.
I found the location to be ideally close to everything we needed.
I have my own tourism business and can honestly say that the standards at Stoney Monday inspired me. Thanks guys. We'll be back!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Stoney Monday Oasis Hotel? Share your experiences!