“Run-down hotel, dishonest staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Panorama Hotel

Save Saved
You added Panorama Hotel to your Saves list
Panorama Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Khunlumprapas Rd. | (Center of the town), Mae Hong Son 58000, Thailand   |
Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in Mae Hong Son
Atlanta, Georgia
“Run-down hotel, dishonest staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Returning from an overnight trek, I was REALLY looking forward to a hot shower. Surely this is one of the basic amenities any hotel should provide, but not here... I could just as well as have gone to the river and taken a cold bath instead. The bathroom was quite worn down, the sink was leaking and the workmanship on the faucet was very shoddy -- the whole faucet turned whenever you wanted to turn it on.

Mae Hong Son is a beautiful place and with a name like "Panorama" I was looking forward to a good view of the amazing scenery all around. Unfortunately that was also not to be... just a view of some dull buildings next door. If you stay in a place like Mae Hong Son, it's inexcusable not to have a good view of the beautiful landscape all around! The room itself was dark and matched the mood of cold shower... it could do with a few more lightbulbs...

The staff are also dishonest in how they market this hotel. On Agoda, they specify there is complimentary Wifi inside the rooms. This (and a hot shower) were among the main reasons I booked the hotel as I wanted to keep in touch with friends and family... but in fact there is no Internet in the rooms. You have to go to the lobby to access the Wifi and although complimentary, not nearly the same as having it inside the rooms.

Additionally, I had a confirmed quote from the hotel manager telling me the rate for an Economy room would be Thb 500 but when I got there, I was informed the price was now suddently Thb 600 due to the "holidays". No matter that I had a quote in writing (given 3 days prior) for the current date of stay... there had been a sudden price increase. If I hadn't wanted a hot shower so badly I would have gone elsewhere... only to check in and discover there was no hot shower.

Fortunately I only stayed one night; will definitely stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Panorama_MHS, Manager at Panorama Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments. Firstly, we would like to sorry that the unconsistent price of $3 different. This is our internal communication mistake and may cause from the limitation of staff's command of English. We'll improve this.
According to the mentioned problems, there are many points to be cleared:

1. There are 3 types of rooms available which are Deluxe, Standard, and Economy. Normally, before registering, guests are led to see rooms before making decision. In this case economy room was chosen by the guest.

2. As for the faucet and hot shower problem, generally, if guest inform our staff about the problem, according to our standard operating procedure: first action is to fix it immediately; but if it's unable to fix, we will offer a new room; and in case that all rooms are occupied, refund will be issued. Many times that the hot shower problem is easily handled by turning on a circuit breaker.

3. As advertised on Agoda that we have WIFI, this is true for most parts of our hotel. We have 4 buildings; the economy building is the farthest. The WIFI signal can be too low to work in some rooms.

Please note that generally, Thai people are friendly. If you need anything or have any comments, please let our staffs know. We'll try our best to make you satisfy.

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I've spent a week in this hotel. It is well located in the center of town. Friendly stuff and got free pick-up from airport. The price per night was 700 Baht, was supposed to include breakfast. The first night i've got a VIP (so i was told it is) room facing the main road. I couldn't sleep at night due the the extensive noise. I asked to move to a back side room. The beds are very comfy and this time is was much more quiet. From my windows I saw the back side of the temple. The entire building is very old, the lobby is very dark. The furniture in the room are old and some broken. The bath tub saw better days. The entire cleanliness is very mediocre. The curtain is the bath tub was filthy (!!!). Breakfast that was offered me was so dull (2 fried eggs, 2 toasts and a cup of tea), so i didn't bother having it. Bottom line - overpriced and will never come again to this hotel. There are so many better guest houses in town for the same price.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Panorama_MHS, Manager at Panorama Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Thank you for your advices. We will consider all comments to improve our quality and services.

In a hotel business, we need to refurbish the hotel constantly. So, your recommendations will be considered.

You may forgot to mention about good things besides the location because you were a walk-in tourist and you mentioned that there are so many better guest houses in town for the same price, but you still stayed in the hotel for a week. If you really didn't appreciated I think you would have moved out from the first day.

Please note that generally, Thai people are always friendly. If you need anything or have any comments, simply tell our staffs. Everything can be done immediately to solve your problems

Travelers are raving about these Mae Hong Son hotels

Been to Panorama Hotel? Share your experiences!