“Completely avoidable” 1 of 5 stars

Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Sightseeing Tours
Singapore, Singapore
“Completely avoidable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

A terrible experience. We were made to wait for over an hour despite having made reservations through our hotel. The wait itself would not have been that much of a problem if the operator wasn’t so rude and making racist comments about us to his colleague in the local dialect and if the place wasn’t infested with mosquitoes. The operator’s behavior made us feel distinctly uncomfortable and we felt threatened in his presence. He could see we had come with three eager children, yet he made no attempt to make the wait easier. We finally left the place after a miserable one hour and returned to our hotel regretting our decision to come here.

Visited December 2013

“Most memorable & Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

After reading some reviews me & my husband decided that we shud just try it. We booked it through our hotel at the Sheraton as i believe it is more legit. Some places might try to scam us.
We were really excited & the driver came to pick us up from our hotel. We did the one hour trekking. Upon arrival it was something i did not imagine it would be. Our elephant name was ka mung. I was really nervous while sitting on the chair, the thought that i might fall off. Alot of ppl said that the trainer has a hook that hit the elephant head, they do it to them in the zoo as well. I was told that elephant skin was quite thick & sometimes he just hit it lightly to warn the elephant not to walk into the branches or somewhere muddy.
The trainer was really nice & had a conversation with us. He tried to sell us some necklace which we did mot buy but he didnt look offended. He jumped off & told my husband to sit on the head.

Whenever there is a fly sucking on the elephant blood, the trainer had to hit the fly. He always seem to understand her needs esp when she needs to scratch cuz of the fly.

The trainer took lots of photos for us. (very worth it for us) My husband sat on his head all the way back to the tent and then we fed them some bananas and then watch them bathe. It was really cute! There was a mother and daughter taking a bath.

My husband and i are happy to say that this was one of our favourite memory on our trip. Please give the park a chance & give love to those elephants.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Fab experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I did a little research on here before doing an elephant trek in Thailand and found most people saying this was one of the best, we went in the mid afternoon for the hour trek and had an amazing time, the guy on the elephant even let us go up front on the elephant bare back in turns with him jumped off and took about 200 photos on my camera of us both while we rode it, elephants were happy, we fed them after we rode them and watched them wash and bathe themselves afterwards in the lake/river, deffo an experience I will never forget, fab

Singapore, Singapore
“I'm Disgusted... Please Read, Even If It Is Long!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

How terrible can you imagine something like this to be? Good. Now divide it by 1 Million. This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had.

The staff at the elephant camp told us to be there by 3:00pm, as they would reserve 2 elephants by then especially for us (we are a big group, and only 3 people can fit on an elephant.) The only decent thing that they did was to pick us up from our hotel, which was 15 minutes away. We arrived and we had to walk through about 100 meters of dung - covered pathway, and we reached with ourselves stinking. We reached 5 minutes late, so we expected the elephants to be waiting for us.

They didn't have anyone waiting there to give us directions on where to go! There were crowds of people everywhere and absolutely no signs. After 15 minutes of wandering about, we managed to find out where we had to be. To our horror, all the walk - in tourists were now riding on elephants, and we, who reserved and booked in advance, had no elephants waiting for us!

As we watched all the elephants walking past us, we saw how cruel the mahouts were being to them. They were digging iron pickaxes into the elephants head, even if they were behaving perfectly well. We saw one elephant with tiny bumps and black/purple concussions all over it's head! As well as the service (which is terrible, as I will be getting to) another reason coming to this elephant camp is a bad idea is that animal cruelty is indirectly being promoted because of each person that visits! @MasterLiving did a very accurate summation on this problem, check out his review.

We waited for 20 minutes in their flimsy wooden chairs with only mosquitos for company. There is no hygiene in this place! The elephants are free to relieve themselves wherever they please, even if it is right next to the waiting area itself! As you can imagine, the place was fly infested and we got bitten in at least 5 places each.

When we finally asked someone when the elephants would come, he responded in poor english and we couldn't understand what he was saying! When we got a little upset and tried to get him to repeat himself, he just flatly ignored, turned to his partner, and engaged in a conversation in which he said the word 'Indian' every 2 seconds! We were horrified at their racism, and we went to talk to the owner.

The owner was so rude to us! He kept arguing back that it was not his fault, and that since there were many walk - in tourists he let them go. What kind of service is this? By now, we had been waiting 45 mins, and since we came 15 mins late, it was an hour past our booked time! As we tried to tell the owner that he should have reserved our elephants since we had a booking, he argued and shouted back saying "What do you expect me to do now?" and such. He also said that if we wanted to go back, we could go and there was nothing stopping us. By then it was 4:15 and we decided to just leave, as we didn't want to get bitten by the mosquitos and annoyed by all the staff any longer. So we went back with no elephant ride. The worst part is, like @MasterLiving said, is that hotels are recommending this place!

Overall, coming to this place is a very bad idea and I would not recommend it to anyone unless you enjoy mosquito bites, being shouted at, and watching animals suffer for nothing.

Geneva, Switzerland
“Going here is being an accessory to animal cruelty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have just been to this God awful place and I am still in shock to be honest. I unfortunately did not do my research properly beforehand, otherwise I would not have gone. Everything that has been said here is true with regards to how they treat the elephants: the Mahout is constantly hitting the elephants with their metal pick axe on the head, drawing blood and what sounded like the cracking of their skulls. I cannot believe "Blake" that visited on Dec. 22 said it was a wonderful place and highly recommended with excellent staff!!!

The place is a sliver of land right beside the road. You trek aimlessly through this patch of land, hearing the cars go by, while the mahout hits the poor elephant continuously. The elephants are riding constantly with no rest, and so are obviously tired.

What is even more worrisome is that the hotels in the region as well as the tourist offices are sending people here. I would like to warn anyone who visits this site that this will be the worst part of their vacation, something they will regret the moment they get on the elephant, and the feeling will last way after you have left the premises.

Do yourself and the dear elephants a favor and do not patronize this horrible establishment.