“Romantic summer camp for grownups. With boat noise.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Railay Great View Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Railay Great View Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   588 Moo 2 | Tambol Ao Nang, Krabi Town 8100, Thailand   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Romantic summer camp for grownups. With boat noise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The most romantic room I've ever seen...too bad I was alone!

Little cabins on the hillside hold beautiful rooms with balconies and big bathrooms. The pool is lovely, the view is fabulous, the restaurant is fine. I really wanted a pina colada, but alcohol is either limited or non-existent.

This would be a great place for a honeymoon although I wouldn't have wanted to stay more than a couple days.

It's a walk to Railay East and West...I didn't mind, but it was a little far from the party if that's your scene.

The boat noise is real. And loud. And like 20 hours a day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
Guam, Mariana Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in early April. It starts out with a boat ride to Railay West. From Railay West, we had to walk what felt like around 1.8 miles (20 minutes) with our luggage to get to the resort which was a hassle and I was drenched in sweat by the time I got there. When you arrive at the reception area, they will give you a small cup of calamansi juice while they get you checked in and then they will have someone carry your luggage to your room. To get to the rooms, there are lots of paths with steps and slopes through the nicely landscaped resort grounds. The room was spacious, the balcony is relaxing with the sounds of the birds/tropical insects. Every now and then you will here the motors of the longboats which can ruin the peace. Water pressure is good and no problems with water temperature but my only complaint is that the bathroom floor can get a little messy since there are no shower doors. If you can't stand ants or small lizards you will not like these rooms but it is something expected when you stay in a hut. Also, be sure to use the mosquito netting, it is not just for decoration. The complimentary fruit bowl consists of two bananas and three tangerine like fruits which is shown in one of my pictures on here. My only true complaint is having to transport all your luggage to and from the resort and they do not provide good means of transportation. The restaurant does not have the best breakfast but I was not able to find a good breakfast the whole time I was in Thailand? Dinner is also not that good but i recommend the mango lassie drink. Location is based on opinion. If you like a peaceful location and don't mind walking to railay west for a nice swim and good view than this is the spot for you. Below is a list of items included in our room:
-shampoo
-hair dryer
-mini fridge
-safe
-2 umbrellas
-beach bag with beach mat (mat is big enough for two people to use)

If you have any questions about the resort or the area, comment on this review and I will try to help you out.

Room Tip: My review is based on room 24
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Location:
I guess if you want seclusion, Railay Great View may suffice. But for us, it was too isolated, and painful to get to and from. The long boats landed on the west side of Railay Beach, and you either had to walk for 20 mins or catch a second boat to the 'resort'. Getting wet whilst getting in and out of the boats is almost inevitable. This is OK when not having to grapple with luggage, but really difficult when you do. There's an infrequent free longboat service to two destinations, but neither of them are destinations of note.
The walk to Railay Beach itself is not hard, but the rubbish and smells from all along the path totally spoil the experience.
The hum of the longboats is constant, even through the night.
Activities:
There's really nothing to do at the 'resort' itself except lie by the pool (which was quite nice, as was the outlook from the pool), though this is nothing that I couldn't have done in my home country. There was a lady who gave massages, and she was good - but twice the price of anywhere else. They say there are kayaks for hire - I had a look at them and they looked a bit dubious to me.
Room:
Our room was way up the hill, 76 steps plus inclined concrete paths... a real workout to get to. And once at the top - no 'great view' as the vegetation blocked most of it out. Only good thing about the trees was the visits from the monkeys. The room itself was OK though the bed was hard as, and we had a problem with mosquitoes despite the mosquito net.
Food:
The food was average; breakfast was disappointing; hot food often cold and cold food not chilled enough.
That we were one of two tables dining on the nights we chose to eat at the restaurant, spoke volumes. I had a very good Pad Thai one night, and ordered again another night; second time is was average, so a lack of consistency. They did willingly make a requested dish that was not on the menu.
The onsite Minimart offered a meagre range of goods.
Service:
Service was poor. The language barrier was extremely frustrating. This was most evident when there was a problem... the lack of understanding seemed to double when there was an issue. We used the laundry service and had several items go missing. It took 4 days to track them down, and during some of my interactions with staff it felt as though I was being laughed at. There was no communication carried over from one shift to another so the problem had to be re-explained every time. Part of the problem with the missing laundry was having been assigned a room with one number, but having a different number recorded on some documentation. Perhaps if we had been taken to the correct room in the first place (instead of having to trek up that *&^% hill) some of the issues we experienced may not have eventuated.
We booked for seven nights but left after five to stay in Ao Nang where there was a bit more life. Because we'd booked online and had prepaid, we were not entitled to any refund.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Busan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed in Railay Great View in February for 6 nights for our honeymoon. The hotel is located in the very end of Railay East around 10-15 minutes past the bars and restaurants of Railay East. We didn't mind walking this distance, because the hotel has indeed a secluded and private location, so it's worth the walking. Unlike what other reviews state here we didn't find the path that leads to the hotel too long or too steep, however since this is the only way to get there and only the guests of the hotel use this path, the management should have looked after it more, make sure that is well lit and clear all the rubbish along the path. It spoils the experience and creates a bad first impression.

The walk to the nice beaches of the area (Railay West or Phra Nang) is about 20 mins which is not too bad. Beware that in order to get to the beaches and the nice part of Railay peninsula you have to walk along the Railay East beach which in my opinion is a damp, with rubbish, construction works, rubbles and it smells like a swamp. Another thing that spoils the experience, but it is not the hotel to blame for that.

The hotel itself has a great location, if you privacy is what you ask for. The cottages are very nicely furnished, spacious, with large windows and balconies, the bath is big and modern. I found our cottage clean, although expect to find some ants, after all it is a hut and you are in the jungle. As far as the views are concerned, not all the cottages have great views or privacy. In the one that we were initially given, in the lower part of the hill, the view was blocked by the dense vegetation. After asking for a change, the cottage that we were shown, indeed had a great view and felt more private.

Beware of the noise of the longtails. This is not the hotel's fault, but because all the longtails pass by the hotel on their way to Railay East, there is noise all day from early in the morning till late at night and it is annoying!

The surroundings of the cottages looked unattended and unwellcoming. As mentioned in other reviews the concrete walkways were undecorated and everywhere the vegetation is marred by the rubble and dirt of a build where the owner didn't bother to clean up.

The hotel restaurant is nice, wooden thai style, right on the beach, with a nice view but the food was rather bad, which is a shame for such a great location. The breakfast was nothing special, especially the hot dishes seemed to be leftovers from the previous night. There's a lot of room for improvement there too.

Finally, although the staff was friendly in general , the reception staff was unwellcoming and didn't look professional.

On top of that let me mention that although we asked for honeymoon decoration, all we got was two towels on our bed folded in a shape of a heart and twice we had to call the reception to complain about lack of hot water, which was sorted out both times, but why go trough this?

We stayed during the Lunar New Year and the price we got from Booking.com was around 110 Euro per night. For this rate, I expected a lot more, so personally I felt disappointed.

So to sum up:
Pros:
1. Nice private cottages with great view (although not all)
2. Nice secluded location
3. Nice pool
4. DVDs are available in the reception
6. Longtail service to East Railay and Ao Nam Mao, although not frequent

Cons:
1. Poor breakfast
2. Reception unprofessional
3. Space is unattended, especially the path that leads to the hotel
4. Noise from the longtails
5. Overpriced in our case

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

It's beautiful and we had a great time for the most part, but I had no idea what an adventure it would be to get here and to stay here. I wasn't able to read a lot of reviews before booking because of internet problems so it's my fault that I was uninformed. We took a bus from the airport only to find out that we had to take a boat to the resort. We had to wade out in the water with our luggage and climb onto the boat. If you are young and fairly healthy, this is a great adventure. If you are older or have health issues be aware that this resort requires a lot of physical effort. The boat took us to Railay Beach where we had to walk about ten minutes (with our luggage) to another beach to catch another boat. At the resort you climb or jump out of the boat and start climbing the mountain. I estimate that our cabin was about six stories above the beach and you climb up very steep paths to get there. Very steep. It's a LOT of work! The pay off? It's beautiful!

Our cabin was very cool! Very large with lots of windows and a great view. Very beautiful inside. There is also a deck outside. Our first cabin didn't have a great view and was way too high for me to climb every day. They changed it for us to a lower cabin but still a huge climb every day. The cabin, the grounds, the beaches, the restaurant and the whole location is very beautiful and relaxing (when you're not climbing the hills.) There is a bar on the beach on the eastern side that is owned by a guy named Mee. Go there at least once, just to meet him. He is very friendly and speaks English fairly well. It's a cool place and he is just an awesome character.

To the west is another beach and a walkway to Railay Beach. It's not a bad walk but about twenty minutes to get there. We made the walk several times and it wasn't bad at all in the evening or morning when it's not so hot.

The restaurant was nice and the food was good; however, my wife and I both got sick while we were there and it had to be from that restaurant. I ended up on two antibiotics and three other meds for digestion. I hope this was an anomaly because this is the only restaurant unless you go to Railay.

Overall, this is a beautiful place to stay if you are young and healthy. If you have trouble getting around, look for another place.

Room Tip: Get cabin one if you can. It's low on the hill and has a great view. It's right next to the...
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is on the "wrong " side of the beach, which means you are away from all the noise and crowd. Built on a green hill, the rooms are hidden within the tall trees, respecting the natural scenery. Nice comfortable rooms with well appointed bath. Staff very friendly and helpful. 20 minutes walking away from main beach, the hotel also offers morning and afternoon transportation by long boat for those who are unwilling to walk.
Steep path leading to rooms, a point wort mentioning for those with disabilities. Great food and reasonably priced. A lovely retreat for those who are looking for beautiful location.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

stayed here Feb 2013 for 6 days, beautiful secluded resort. Friendly and helpful staff and the name holds true, it has amazing views! we stayed in a 'deluxe cottage' and could see the sea from our bed and the sunrise in the morning. Lovely well cared for gardens. Good variety at breakfast and tried the fresh pesto pasta in the restaurant on evening and it was delicious but stay away from the pizzas as they seem like supermarket fair. Lovely infinity pool

If you are prepared to walk to long way round on the east side it is definately worth the effort. However extremely steep hills and lots of steps so not suitable for those with mobility issues but if you dont mind a bit of a daily exercise then it is perfect

Room Tip: we stayed in room 019, it has views across too different bays and could be seen whilst lying in bed...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Railay Great View Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!