“Needs a facelift” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charoen Thani Princess

You added Charoen Thani Princess to your Saves list
Charoen Thani Princess
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   260 Srichan Road, Naimuang District | Amphur Muang, Khon Kaen 40000, Thailand   |
Ranked #5 of 57 Hotels in Khon Kaen
Perth
“Needs a facelift”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

A hotel that is definitely showing its age. The pool area was definitely uninviting with no chairs and no aesthetically appealing features. There was a lack of English speakers in the staff so mistakes were made, and requests were often lost in translation

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Sadly i cannot find many compliments for this hotel. I have travelled extensively in Thailand, (4 times to Khon Kaen) and this was my worst hotel experience in the Thailand.
Check in was slow as they had my reservation wrong even after i called the day before to confirm the reservation. I booked a corner room for 3 people but were given a room with only sleeping facilities for 2 people. They attempted to charge for an extra bed but that issue was eventually resolved. Sadly my room safe did not work and they could not fix it as parts were missing!
The corner room we had ( on 12th floor ) was big and comfortable with a good view of some of the area. The hotel is very well located in central Khon Kaen, close to markets, shopping, some great street restaurants and Kosa shopping centre. It is walking distance to Central Plaza, the fairy house, nightclubs and bars.
Breakfast was included and there was a good selection but a lot more Thai food than Western. Service at the restaurant was good except for the assistant buffet manager speaking rudely to my educated friend and and also to my son two separate days. This service was extremely disappointing.
The pool was nice and with easy access so as not to leave water everywhere as you return to your room. We did not use the well appointed gymnasium but there were many people enjoying this facility.
I knew the hotel was old but the dusty smell did not detract or spoil our experience . On the upside there were renovations happening on higher levels so maybe the need for an update is proceeding. These renovations did not in anyway disturb our time at the hotel. The internet was not free ( 100 baht per person for 24hrs) my teenage kids found it quite unreliable. There is ample off street parking and security is great.
Finally, after our initial problem with check-in the reception staff were fantastic for the rest of our stay. Check out was easy and swift with the offer of transport to the airport ( for a fee :-) )
If you want central location this has it and its good value if you can get a discounted rate. I don’t like to complain about hotels a lot & maybe we were just unlucky on this occasion but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Spent 2.5 weeks here in June/July 2011, after numerous stays over recent years.

Overall the staff in the lobby/service/room service areas are great and look after you. Front desk staff tend to spin a yarn on arrival to try to upsell to a suite or just plain overcharge. As at July the basic price was 1200b for a double, 1400 if you want breakfast. Room quality varies substantially from floor to floor - if (as is common) you are placed in the worst room available on arrival. Argue and ask to be moved and you may be suprised with the outcome.

Rooms are getting a bit faded - smelly carpet, fittings, old TV etc, though a renovation is going on in higher floors at the time of writing. The popular "Zolid Disco" downstairs is gone, replaced by a kind of strip joint called "the club". Location is good but annoyingly they have closed off the short cut stairway through to the nearby Kosa Hotel.

Wifi internet is pricey but 30 day unlimited access cards are now available for 500b. Even so, many places in town provide this service free.

The breakfast buffett is not worth the extra money. Bland food, however this is about stardard in Khon Kaen hotels.

Overall the Charoen Thani is still good value with good hospitality and great staff but they need to completely renovate and cut out the rip off attitude displayed by the reception desk people.

Room Tip: Be persistent - this hotel often steers arrivals to the worst room available - ask to see a better r...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Bel Air, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

I stayed for two weeks in this hotel and it was adequate. The hotel is not expensive, so the value is good but it does not come without issues.

The bed and bathroom were clean and well maintained by the daily house keeping. The carpet needed to be replaced in the room I stayed in. There were tears/cuts in several locations of the carpet.

I suppose it was the design of the shower/tub that caused a lot of water to escape to the floor throughout the bathroom. There was always a lot of water on the bathroom floor after each shower. We applied towels along the corners to try and prevent the water from escaping, but the floor was always very wet and very slippery.

The walls were also in need of a fresh coat of paint. Several areas had splash stains that were very visible.

The room was very quiet and I was located on the 9th floor so there was not recognizable street noise.

The bed was the typical spring mattress that I find uncomfortable, but that seems to be the norm.

I found the house keeping staff very friendly; however, also annoying. When I had the "do not disturb" marked on the door, they would call the room to ask if they could come in. That seemed to defeat the purpose in my view.

There was a strange odor we could detect as soon as we exited the elevator on floor 9. It was not too strong, but we noticed it each time we returned to the hotel.

They offered internet service through a third party that I had to purchase. It would have been cheaper for me to buy a monthly pass to use, but the hotel conveniently never had a monthly pass for me to purchase. So I had to buy a daily pass each day for the two weeks I was there. The cost was about $3 USD a day.

I ordered a hot coffee from their lobby bar and it was served at room temperature.

The location is fantastic. Adequate parking, convenient to many attractions including two malls. Surrounded by plenty of restaurants and shopping. There is the ever popular 7-Eleven right there at the end of the hotel driveway. Also, a nice little restaurant called the Lighthouse that is next to the driveway of hotel and we ate there many times. I found that as a nice plus for the hotel.

The staff were always friendly and helpful. I do not speak Thai and had little problems communicating with them in English.

The air conditioning was almost too good. When setting it to its highest temperature, in the morning when we would wake it, it was cold in the room. But if we turned the air conditioning off before sleep, it would become too hot.

I am returning to Khon Kaen next week and I will not be returning to Charoen Thani Princess. I am in search for a better hotel to stay in on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

This is an average hotel in the middle of the city center. Shops and restaurants are in walking distance. The rooms need a renovation but still in a acceptable condition.
After moving in our rooms we heard construction workings. They changed the rooms for us quite fast but shouldn’t let us move in those rooms earlier. Breakfast is okay but mostly Thai dishes.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Entebbe, Uganda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

My wife tells people who want to go with us that I will only stay at the Chareon Thani Hotel in Khon Kaen - well, it is the only I know how to get to. Parking is convenient but not well lit. We always leave the car and just walk around Khon Kaen or take a Tuk Tuk to the new mall (around 50baht.)

Been staying here on and off since 2005. I was surprised that the Dusit Group sold it off. Rooms are a bit tired. Showers still produce a lot of hot water with strong pressure. Aircon is a bit hot - or was it just me.

Price was reasonable, was able to get the internet rate despite walking in.

Breakfast is good with lots of variety. Tried the gym, a bit small, but it was functional.

They had a massage place, but dared not try it after taking a peek (the wife would not be happy.) Better off getting a foot massage at one of the places in the nearby area.

Staff friendly enough and helpful, even though they started talking to me in Thai once they found out I could speak a little - which was not really helpful to me (as I was asking for directions.)

Anyway, would still go back and stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

After reading some of the reviews that mentioned old furnishings in this hotel I decided to book it for a three-day stay anyway. It couldn’t possibly be all that bad, I figured. I was wrong.

Paint, furniture, and carpet in my room were worn and dirty, probably the worst I’ve ever seen in a hotel that was still open for business. Fortunately, the bathroom was relatively clean and the water pressure/temperature of the shower were strong and constant.
Shortly after I went to sleep, I noticed an odd smell but was so tired I ignored it. Then about 4:30 a.m. I awoke to a dangerously strong smell of petrol exhaust fumes being blown into the room through the air conditioner duct. So in the middle of the night, coughing, I had to change rooms.

The room I moved to was on a non-smoking floor, and the room and entire floor smelled like an ashtray. The condition of the room was a bit better than the first, but still old, worn and dirty. There was no petrol smell from the air con, but neither did it cool the room adequately.

The hotel’s website lists broadband internet along with other amenities that are included with the price of the room. And indeed when I logged on to the service provider’s page, it stressed that wireless internet at the Charoen Thani Princess was “complimentary.” But when I went to get an access card, I was told I had to pay.

My room included breakfast. It was one of the poorest breakfast selections I’ve seen, especially for a hotel that size. And much of the food tasted as though it had been stored after preparation. The mini-bar fridge wasn’t much cooler than room temperature. Airport transfer was available—like other “services,” for a fee.

After two days at the hotel, I decided to check out. My booking was prepaid and of course the hotel declined to refund the third day or any part of it. I didn’t care; I just didn’t want to risk staying another day there.

The Charoen Thani Princess gave me the worst hotel experience I’ve ever had. I’d sleep in a tent in the park before I’d ever stay there again, and I strongly recommend that anyone considering it choose one of the other lodging options in that area. The hotel is so long past a needed renovation that razing it would probably be a better idea.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Charoen Thani Princess? Share your experiences!