“Ok for couple of nights when exploring the area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of River Kwai Hotel

You added River Kwai Hotel to your Saves list
River Kwai Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   284/15-16 Sang Chuto Road, Kanchanaburi 71000, Thailand   |
Ranked #26 of 69 Hotels in Kanchanaburi
Stockholm, Sweden
“Ok for couple of nights when exploring the area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

This is a Thai standard mid range business hotel and that is what you should expect of it. I.e. pretty worn down and quite unfresh rooms compared to western standards, but all services of a business hotel available and good wifi connection. Buffet breakfast, both continental and Asian, OK but nothing to write home about. Big plus for the hotel is their big pool (clorine free, cleaned with ozon) set among many lotus trees, so you can take a dip in the evening after touring the area. (Even though it stated the pool was open until 19, it was always closed and lights out when we came down at 18. But we just pointed it out in the restaurant and they lit the lights and gave us towels. Same happened both nights when we were there…)
We stayed there with our two kids and found it ok for a couple of nights when we needed to stay close to the bus station.
It is a good starting point to explore the “the bridge over the river kwai” (some 10 minutes drive), Erawan National Park and e.g. Elephant’s World (they pick you up at the hotel), which I can really warmly recommend.
It is also about 5 minutes drive from the bus station, and from Pizza Company if you start craving western food. Not so many restaurants that we saw nearby, only food stalls. Maybe next time we’d rather choose the backpacker area of Kanchanaburi with more shops, restaurants and life in the evening. For visiting Erawan, Hellfire Pass etc we’d rather recommend staying closer to those places, somewhere in the jungle by the river Kwai. Much nicer places to relax.

Room Tip: We saw that they were removing carpets from some rooms and putting new floor. Ask for those rooms if...
Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in March 2012 and enjoyed aour stay. The room was basic and after a few days travelling we needed some clothes laundered but could not speak Thai so had a LOT OF TROUBLE communicating. But eventually I just carried my laundry to the front desk and instantly smiles and understanding. The pool is the best feature of the hotel. It was wonderful to relax in the pool after a day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: Excellent Pool
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Davenport, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

this is our 2 nd time in Thailand & have stayed at some very nice places & some very poor places. This hotel is very run down & the service is just not there for the 60.00 US dollars we paid per night. the admenities are very limited. I would think the hotel would be clean & updated for the price that is paid. Our beds are like sleeping on a piece of plywood. So hard there is absolutely NO give to them. If they tended to the building like they do the plants it would probably be a nice place. The pool is good as well as the location. I would not stay here again. I rate it as a 2 star. Thank goodness we are leaving tomorrow. I don't think I could do another night on those horrible bed.
Shelby from davenport, WA USA

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Nicely located to visit nearby attractions markets and various trips

• Stayed December 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I came there to have seminar with my company colleagues. I think the hotel was rebuilt last year and included ABF was reasonable as the price around 1000-1200 baht. And the meeting room was comfortable that's the main point for us to stay there. If you want to walk around the town I recommended this hotel where's nearby bus station, restaurants, convenient stores and mini Department store "KanokKarn".

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

This hotel is very well located on the same road between both the bus and railway stations. Short motorbike taxi ride to most places. The staff are very good. We had only one issue with staff during our stay and that was on returning to the hotel one evening we needed assistance with the internet connection (needed password / login) but could find not front desk staff. A clearner came forward to assist and much to our surprise she went behind the front desk and woke up the girl sleeping under the counter. The girl got up and was very grumpy and unhappy she had been woken up. She obiously was not fully awake when she bad mouthed us in Thai and failed to realised that the people I was with...WERE THAI...and fully understood what she had said. When they challenged her she rubbed her eyes, yawned and walked off. Unusually for Thais, my friends were furious and it was all I could to stop them from going after her. Very unpleasant young lady who feels that work time is sleep time and customers are a nuisance. Other than this young lady all other staff more most helpful and welcoming.

Apart from the location and the staff, this hotel is very very old, outdated and filthy. The lobby gives it away as being dated and it has a few large water stains on the ceiling. Lifts are old, clumsy, small and loud. The first thing I noticed on the way to my room on floor 3 was the huge black mould stains on the walls, thread bare carpets and the damp smell. We had two rooms (334 and 336) 334 smelt fine but 336 was vile smelling...it smelt of damp, urine and something else that made us all gag. We insited on changing rooms. Room 339 smelt ok. Both bathrooms were small and very outdated, the tiles in the bath / shower area were mostly covered in black mould, toilet was dirty. To get to the sink the bathroom door needs to be closed and the door opens inward and covers the sink in the small bathroom.

Towels were probaly the original when the hotel first opened. They were hard, frayed, colour faded (or white turned to brown / grey) and thread bare.

Beds were very hard, laying on the floor boards would have been more comfortable.

Food here is just average and over priced for what is served.

The hotel has a disco, we did not go in here but we did eat at the "Cowboy Beer Bar" just outside the lobby. Food was ok but over priced, service was ok but nothing note worthy. There is a live band and they were just simply not up to the task. Tables / seating very uncomfortable and it is difficult to get away from speakers that are turned up so loud they are at bursting point.

The hotel advertises WiFi included free, this is true all though on our floor the connection was very poor and slow and continually dropped out. Also the logins provided are timed at 3 hours, we were told they were for all day and when they timed out we were surprised.

There are no in-room safes. All valuables must be left with reception, aparently they have safety deposit boxes. Although on each occassion I returned to the hotel my laptop and PDA were laying on the floor behind the reception desk.

Airconditioning was old system and barely worked.

I looked in to a number of rooms as the maid was cleaing and left doors open to air (security not very good) and on level 3 I could not find one room that was not old and mouldy. The pictures of rooms on the website do not truly reflect the rooms that I stayed in or was able to inspect whilst we stayed here.

Pool is on level 2 and a walk along the passageway, across a walk way, down the stairs. Does not look like it gets much use.

It is a shame that this hotel has not been taken care of because it has potential, great staff and very well located. We had read about this hotel on another website so booked...my fault as I should have read TripAdvisor before booking.

There are many places to stay in Kanchanaburi at all levels of prices. We met lots of very nice locals who were only too happy to provide recommendations. Many smaller boutique hotels with very nice rooms staring at THB 600 per night. Next time I visit Kanchanaburi I will not book in advance but turn up and take the opportunity to visit a few of the hotels and see which I prefer before spending my money.

Room Tip: If you do stay here ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the disco. It does get lo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

The (old)hotel is ok for one night, swimming pool is good, the food no so.
Advise: ask for the (new)studio on the 5th floor, railway side the road side is noisy.
Hotel is mostly visited by Thai people.

Room Tip: Chooze the new studio
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to River Kwai Hotel? Share your experiences!