“for this price, it's more than ok” 3 of 5 stars

Sam's Guesthouse
14/2 Moo 1 | T. Thamakarm, Kanchanaburi 71000, Thailand   |
Ranked #40 of 77 Kanchanaburi B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“for this price, it's more than ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

hotel : budget, local guest house, lots of bungalow style rooms
location : in the city center, on English Street where there're many places to eat, drink for 'young' farangs, many 24-hour convenient stores
transportation : not too difficult by public transportation
lobby : small, basic, hideous decor
room : bungalow style, good size, very basic, not spotlessly clean but not dirty, hideous decor, bed a bit hard, pillow & blanket a bit thin, not all the lights work, aircon a bit load but ok
bathroom : ok, toilet & tub in the bathroom, sink outside, only soap provided, very thin towel, no hair-dryer
Breakfast : ok, cheap, very basic
staffs : ok
price : suitable for low budget travelers, very cheap
I would recommend this hotel if you are really tight on the budget or if you have to pay for 10 school kids like I did, I would never stay here if I am by myself or with family. But for this price, they offer a fairly acceptable service.

Room Tip: It's worth to pay more for bungalows on the water. The Jolly flog, the mangosteen nearby are go...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Sam's Guesthouse was a lovely place to stay in Kanchanaburi with rooms overlooking the river. Although we opted for a room without a view it still had a good atmosphere. It was along the main strip of restaurants and bars, so close enough for everything you need, but down a side street so quiet enough for a good nights sleep. I would definitely recommend this place for anybody visiting Kanchanaburi! The only downsides were the room was very basic with no furniture or wardrobe to hang our clothes, plus no room service so we had to use our towels for three days.

• Stayed November 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

I paid extra for a room with air con, but it was broken when I got there. The first lady agreed to change it but then another woman who is obviously in charge came out yelling at her in Thai "don't change the room because another one will come in and complain. Give him a fan instead." She ungracefully assumed that I didn't understand and then blatantly lied to me in English. "all rooms are booked we call the man to repair for you." I snapped back at her in Thai and told her she was being dishonest. After demands to get my money back and promises to involve agoda, she finally buckled and gave me a different room. Her reasoning was not at all logical and her attitude was totally disrespectful and lacking in remorse or shame of any kind, considering she'd just been caught lying.

There are a few dogs there that growl and bark at the monkey in the garden which is loud and disturbing. Additionally, monkeys are known to snatch up whatever they feel like, so I wasn't about to hang out my wet clothes to dry on the porch (was during Songkran).

I recommend staying in another place. There are many many other options on that street.

• Stayed April 2012
St. Gallen, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

We stayed some nights at this guesthouse in a small and simple bungalow with aircon. The colourfull bathroom has a glass ceiling which gives you the feeling of an open-air bathroom, we liked it. The location is very good, directly at the mainroad with a lot of restaurants around. Service was not at it's best, but okay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I don't consider myself to be a backpacker (my suitcase has wheels), but I was looking for something cheap whilst travelling in a group of 6 friends. I gave this place a call on the way up to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok. We got three log cabins right down on the riverside (cabins look out onto a backwater of the Kwai, but it is still very nice). Make sure you ask for these rooms as there are a good number of rooms on the land which are in a different style. Rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. Excellent location. I was a bit worried about being so close to the 'farang' bars as it's a side of Thailand I'm not interested in. But most of them were empty when we were there in January. There is some excellent street food available on the road outside the guesthouse (turn right and look for the papaya salad stall about 5 minutes down the road - excellent) along with lots of Thai kitchens serving traditional favourites: Pad Thai, Pad Siewe, Khao Tom, etc. And it was very pleasant to sit outside our room with a beer. There is a 7-11 close by where you can buy the anti-mosquito coils which were very effective. There were quite a few other people staying at Sam's Guesthouse when we were there. They were all polite and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a log cabin on the river right at the end of the walk way.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

The first room we originally booked, the lock wasn't working, so we changed to a different cabin. After coming back from a meal out in Kanchanaburi, the plumbing in the wet room decided to play up so we changed to yet again another room!

Despite that, the view over the River Kwai from our third - and final - cabin was stunning, but with scary wildlife (Big Spider) scaring my girlfriend in the morning be prepared due to location. Please note, spider wasn't in the shower room, but between the window and shutter.

The location is great. Spoilt for choice with restaurants and convenience stores. Plus you can get your feet massaged by fish a lot cheaper than the niche boutiques you see popping up in the UK!

Night time was peaceful, plus hearing the crickets and wildlife outside was a nice novelty for us.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012 via mobile

Ok for one night. Sam's girlfriend wasn't keen on helping us, or it simply wasn't her day.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Sam's Guesthouse? Share your experiences!