“a perfect retreat for much needed relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Apple's Retreat by Apple & Noi

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kanchanaburi
Apple's Retreat by Apple & Noi
153/4 Moo 4, Sutjai Bridge | Thamakham, Kanchanaburi 71000, Thailand   |
Ranked #2 of 75 Kanchanaburi B&B and Inns
singapore
“a perfect retreat for much needed relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

after having read all the great reviews i stayed at apple;s for just 2 days with another friend. alas we realized that 2 days were not enough. this small guesthouse is indeed a retreat. rooms and bathrooms are spotless clean --- everything looks exactly as you see in the pictures. the property is maintained very well.

its no luxury hotel so do not expect any such facilities. rooms do not have tv or phones or tea coffee. but hey if you really want some quiet time, this is the place. the restaurant on site serves everything you may need.

the cooking class is a must . they are very good with arranging any tours that you want to take and i advise that you do as withing an hour around town there are several beautiful places to visit.

the staff--- best i found anywhere -- always at your help
location - perfect - other side of kwai so its quiter - no worries the retreat inhouse car will drop you wherever you want - plus town is just 10-15 mins walk away

food- fantastic- tried many other restaurants and apple's was best

transportation - we hired a private car (the luxury part) from bangkok THB 2000- but guys just make a deal with local taxi in bangkok for one way to kanchanaburi --- there are enough cheap deals to go back to bangkok- local taxis again

we used apple's car to go around sightseeing and it was great... not that they charged us more or anything plus we got an air conditioned vehicle with a known driver - perfect

i am sorry i am thinking hard for anything negative but there is nothing i can think of
oh yes

THEY ONLY ACCEPT CASH - FOR EVERYTHING. so if you do not have enough cash--- hit the bank near the bridge and get some. this was the only inconvenience as some people might think. but hey it did not bother us.

apple 2 and noi and the others whose names i missed - thanks to them we had a really relaxing and great time

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Having read the reviews on trip advisor we made sure we stayed at Apples Retreat and not Apples Guesthouse.

The guesthouse is in the backpacker area and although uses the 'Apple's' name it is no longer solely run by Apple and Noi but in partnership.

The retreat is located on the other side of the River Kwai to the busy strip of restaurants and bars and is therefore spacious and quiet. The bridge at night is pretty dark and although we walked it on numerous occasions a tuktuk costs next to nothing and therefore we would probably recommend it for peace of mind.

definitely stay at the RETREAT.

The rooms were spotless and quirky with the beds riased off the floor on a wooden platform. They have both fans and air con but are quite basic with no tv's etc.
Also the rooms are not cleaned on a daily basis as Apple & Noi do not allow any staff in your room without you being present but if you want sheets changed and new towels then they are hapy to do as long as you are present.

Kanchanaburi has a lot to offer.
We visited Erewan falls, Bridge over the river Kwai, Hellfire pass museum, the floating markets,The railway museum& the night market (which is in the town). We used A&S mixed travel for thr trips based outside of the town.
We also took part in the cooking course which is based at the retreat and was run by Noi. First stop was the market in town where we tried numerous items and then we went back to the hotel which has a dedicated kitchen and cooked 4 dishes. Noi is very knowledgable and it was such a good day (9.30 til 3.30). We then ate the dishes we cooked and as we were staying with them they kept the leftovers which we had later on for tea.

The final trip we did was with Good Times travel and involved riding elephants into the river Kwai at dusk and bathing an dplaying with them. This was the most amazing experience and we would recommend it to everyone who visits kanchanaburi. We spent around 30minutes in the water riding the elephants and playing and it was so surreal!

We would definitely recommend staying at Apples Retreat - good locaion, friendly staff, good travel guides and trips available, excellent cooking course and the restuarant on site is the best one we tried in the town.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

cca 800 baht per room ( for 2 people) , great food & thai food cooking courses
Walking distance to Kwae river bride, pick up place for Tiger temple

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

We have visited Kanchanaburi a number of times and have stayed in a few different guesthouses. We wanted to stay at the Apple Guesthouse in the main area but they were full, so they suggested we stay at the Apples Retreat which is across Sutjai Bridge and a 100 metres down the rd to the right. It was bliss, all the rooms were a/c or fan so we picked fan whihc cost 450 baht - bargain! The rooms were immaculate and looked over the beautiful landscaped area. We felt like we were staying somewhere very posh for the money. Across the road is the Apples Cooking school and restaurant that is literally on the river. As it's on the quiet side of the river we felt so relaxed as we chatted with the very friendly and helpful staff while gazing at the river and watching the boats go past. We had an amazing dinner at the restaurant - the food was amasing - definately try teh fresh springs rolls!!!!!! At night is was blissfully quiet and my husband and I slept incredibly well on the lovely new good guality mattress and sheets.

The walk to the main street of guesthouses etc took a few minutes, and Apples retreat will pick you up and drop you off from the bus or train station - they couldn't have been more accommodating.

Apple gave us great advice on what to do during our stay, and how to get around.

Next rime we go to Kanchanaburi we will definatley choose to stay at Apples Retreat. We loved going back there each day after exploring all the sites - it was just lovely.

Apple said they also have plans to put in a pool - which would be great!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Collaroy Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

This was my first trip to Thailand (or anywhere in Asia). I was looking forward to getting out of Bangkok & exploring the countryside ... first stop Kanchanaburi.
Upon arrival in Kanchanaburi (wow so hot!) I called Apples and had a car pick me up in no time, just like they said they would in their email correspondence.
The rooms looked great, charming, spotlessly clean, new, air-conditioned with hot water for showers & a nice comfy double bed, sure it was just the basics but it's a very inexpensive stay & represents great value.
The staff were fantastic here, friendly & very helpful, and I mean everyone I met from the owners through to the cleaners & security staff. I really felt at home.
I thought the location was ideal, it's just out of town & across the river, it's so quiet & peaceful!. The location may be an issue for some people, but you can just hire a little motorbike in town (across the bridge) for only 150 baht per day.
What can I say about the food here from Apples restaurant? ... actually it's the best food I've ever tasted, by that I mean Thai or anything else. I didn't eat anywhere else In Kanchanaburi while I stayed here. Their restaurants location is fantastic too, right beside the river and again the staff, just great!
I regret not taking their cooking class, I only stayed three nights but I'll do it next time. I was busy riding my little Yamaha around the countryside to places like Erawan Falls & Hellfire Pass etc.
I will travel to Thailand again and I would like to visit different provinces & places to where I went on this holiday. I'll make an exception for this place though, I'm really looking forward to staying here again next year!
Excellent.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Hello everyone,
I have 2 experiences to share. Experience 1 happ0ened in September this year and was good. My wife and I stayed there for 4 or 5 days and the restaurant and the rooms were very clean and the location very quiet to relax. However, the food was more expensive than other places. The cooking course was good fun but we we were not given a list of recipes. My wife is scared of the dark so crossimg the bridge to the guest house was not funny. Anyway, we wanted to come back because we emjoyed.

The second experience was different. We telephoned and booked a few weeks before because they did not answer the e mail. When we arrived they said the place was full so we stayed another place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Apple's RETREAT in November 2009 on our vacation.
Pros - quiet location, excellent food, nice river views from the restaurant, free bicycles for guests, excellent advice from staff for planning our sightseeing and activities, excellent service, great value, strong air con, clean rooms, personable staff

Cons - the Apple Retreat location is farther from the city centre whereas the Apple Guesthouse location is more central. However, we enjoyed the quieter location as we were pretty tired from sightseeing during the day. But you are here for the bars and nightlife you may find the Retreat outside of comfortable walking distance and you might prefer the Guesthouse location. The Retreat is a budget hotel so don't expect in room TV, internet or mini fridges. Bikes are older mountain bikes and could be improved with some new tires and servicing of the brakes etc. We took them out for a day in the countryside and had no problems with them.

Overall - Recommended for couples looking for a quiet getaway on a budget who want that personal touch

Other notes: we took the cooking class with Apple at the Retreat location - highly recommended - cost about $40 per person - very entertaining day at the market and learning hands-on in the immaculately clean teaching kitchen with assistants to whisk away the dirty dishes and do most of the boring prep work!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Apple's Retreat by Apple & Noi? Share your experiences!