“Good value private pool villas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of AKA Resort Hua Hin

You added AKA Resort Hua Hin to your Saves list
AKA Resort Hua Hin
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   160 Moo 7, Baan Nhong Hiang | Hin Lek Fai, Hua Hin 77110, Thailand   |
Ranked #59 of 128 Hotels in Hua Hin
4.0 of 5 stars 242 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
“Good value private pool villas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here with a couple of friends and so I had the chance to see a few villas such as 147, 151 etc. We all stayed in e one bedroom deluxe villas. Generally I find the villas quite well maintained and although some spots such as behind the bed and e outside tub is not very clean, given e size of e villas I can understand. The one bedroom deluxe villas really have 2 full sized ensuite rooms in 2 small separate buildings and so it is possible to stay 4 adults per villa. If you are w friends this is e better option but for a couple you will enjoy the privacy and the open space. The wc is situated inside e enclosed bathroom but e shower n tub are both in the open portion of the bathroom and if you are someone who is afraid of the dark you will not enjoy it. I find the pool n the deck area v clean as well but I saw a villa with a muddy pool however tis was not assigned to any guests and I saw them cleaning the pool the next day with a big filter machine. Actually I have no complaint with the villas and given the rates I paid It was very good value for money. The breakfast area was also very nice and all food were covered up to prevent insects from falling onto them. The egg station is very good serving up all kinds of eggs imaginable including eggs benedict. Many selection of pastries and fresh bread too which we enjoyed. Every morning we have a very relax and unhurried having breakfast here. And the coffee is great. You can have cupacino and lattes instead of just brewed coffee. The staff and the on duty manager, Kate, was really nice and friendly. We made lots of requests and have many questions for her which she readily answered. Wifi coverage is a problem but you can always call them and they will reset it. Overall I like the resort it wasnt as bad as how some reviews made it out to be. It was really pretty well maintained, huge and a very relaxing place. Yes it is not brandnew but i can see them making an effort to upkeep the place and some villas were under renovation when I was there. Some villas even have flat screen tv but most have the old boxy tv.

• Stayed February 2013
AKATeam, General Manager at AKA Resort Hua Hin, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear HappyFeet25,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience of your recent stay at the resort.
We are pleased to learn that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay. We appreciate your kind comments on the hotel 's grounds, room and the service from our team members.
We hope to welcome you back to AKA Resort Hua Hin soon.
With sincere regards,
Kriengsak Hansa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
bkk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

we were stayed in 2 pool villa. it was outstanding design villa. i love how they organise space very cozy and useful. full amenities they have everything that you need. Location is a bit difficult to access not really far but road isn't such pleasure too dark too quite. you might prefer to only stay there and do nothing around.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kunnue,
Thank you for choosing to stay at AKA Resort Hua Hin once again and we sincerely appreciate the very specific feedback as this allows us to enhance the good points and focus on improving the highlighted areas. We hope to see you soon in the near future and please contact us anytime.
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at AKA for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon in Thailand and we enjoyed our stay. We had booked this hotel at a cheap rate due to the wotif mystery deal. Though the hotel's location is a bit hard to find at first ( Our taxidriver missed the initial sign and had to turn back), once you got there, it was not difficult to travel in and out.

AKA resort was a nice peaceful place away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It was nice and open, serene and quiet, especially when you got your own private villa.

We particularly enjoyed the free activities that the resort offered everyday. We enjoyed the bike riding and garland making. They also have a free shuttle service to and from Hua Hin city, and this made a day trip exploring the city really convenient!

Hua Hin is a lovely quiet place to get away, whilst still offering free transport to a lively and bustling city experience that's not too far away.

P.S If you are coming to Hua Hin from Bangkok- I recommend that you also visit the Damnoen Saduak floating markets as it is on the way. You can ask your taxi driver to take you for an extra small fee ( they will wait for you as well) before driving you to Hua Hin.
If you do it during your stay in Bangkok, it will require a day trip tour to get there, not worth it in my opinion.

Room Tip: We got the one bedroom delux pool villa which was probably more delux and fancy than we needed. One...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AKATeam, General Manager at AKA Resort Hua Hin, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Dotstah,
Sunny Greetings from Hua Hin...
Thank you for staying with us and great to read that you had a good time.
My team is very happy to read your positive comments and we waiting for your return visit.
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This has to be the most misrepresented hotel I have ever seen advertised. It is far from 5 star and is not a member of SLH. They happily have the SLH logo all over their website and reception at the hotel, but when pushed they will tell you it is their other property that is a member and not this one.

Even getting to this hotel was a challenge - if you Google map the AKA Hotel, or use their full address it shows it as being not far at all from the centre of Hua Hin, which it isn't at all. Now this certainly isn't the hotels problem, but surely they'd make some attempt to rectify this as when we spoke to them they immediately knew it was a problem so no doubt numerous guests have had the same problem.

We arrived midday, Tuesday 29th January, for what was to be a 9nt stay and were greeted by lovely staff at reception. I feel incredibly sorry for them as they are obviously trying hard but are not helped by a dilapidated property and poor management. Even from reception you can see how tired the place is and this was even more prevalent when we got to our room. The door handles were falling off, the televisions are from the 70's, the decor is more antiquated than my grandmothers house and the worst of all was that is was just downright dirty. There was dust everywhere and when our infant dropped his bottle and it went under the bed I was glad i picked it up and not him and had the chance the put it in boiling water before he touched it again. There was thick dust, dirty tissues and dead insects everywhere under there. The toilet still had the remnants of the last guest, which was some time ago by the looks of it, and even after we asked reception to have it cleaned, it wasn't. The pool pump was only turned on as we arrived and by the looks of it the water had been stagnant for some time and was very cloudy - not somewhere I’d want my infant swimming who will inevitably swallow water. We immediately asked to go and see the other property (Guti) as we were so appalled with the state and dirtiness of it and it was what we were expecting here. It was clean and modern and a very beautiful property.

We considered moving hotels, but of course they wanted to charge us additional to do so, and wanted to give the AKA a chance. We went to the bar that evening and ordered a Mojito - but they couldn't make it as they had no mint. We ordered spring rolls - but they didn't have any. We ordered some chicken wings instead and I am sure they came straight out of a freezer. Breakfast next morning was again a huge disappointment, with very limited options and they tried to make mine look 'pretty' by laying a small breadstick across it. Problem was it was stale!

By this time we'd had enough and the thought of staying 9nts was unbearable. I went to reception to advise that we wanted to check out that morning. The receptionist was lovely and understood all my concerns and offered a change to the other property but we just wanted out by now. She advised she'd speak to her manager as there were cancellation charges and but he wasn't there and due in 30mins. 10mins later she came over to us at the breakfast table and said she'd spoken to her manager and he was happy for us to check out with no additional charges because he suddenly wasn’t coming in! I would have thought he may have had the courtesy to speak to me via phone even if he wasn't going to come in, but i also now understand why the hotel runs the way it does and is in the state it is when the GM is never on site.

Good news is, he sent me an email, bad news is it is word for word his response to every other criticism on here. He obviously has a template for the many complaints he gets and just churns it out as required.

This is the first time i have ever checked out of a hotel early, and i have travelled the world and stayed in everything from beach shacks in India and Thailand to 5 star leisure and business hotels across the world. When a hotel misrepresents itself as badly as AKA does and then lets itself down even further by an utter lack of cleanliness in what is supposed to be 5 star, then I'm afraid I cannot see how anyone could stay there. (Which ironically there were only 3 other couples at breakfast during what is supposed to be a busy time and they all looked miserable as well)

This place might have had it's heyday 7 years ago when it was new but now they really need to accept that their attention and focus in on the new hotel and concentrate on that and stop misleading people and robbing them of their cash and holidays.

Room Tip: Rooms in any other hotel than this one are the best!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Good experience staying at aka. The room is very private and the pool is very clean. The service when checking-in need to be improved, 2pm already but one of our rooms still had not been cleaned yet while the rest are good experiences. The room is very good especially compare to its cost. Very recommended for those who loves privacy, very quiet room

• Stayed January 2013
AKATeam, General Manager at AKA Resort Hua Hin, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear P_jakkrit,
Sunny Greetings from AKA Resort Hua Hin !
Thank you very much for spending your holdays in our resort. We appreciate your positive review and recomendation. However, I'm really sorry for keep you waiting the room, so I have discussed with our Room Division Manager and ensure that this situation will not happen again. Should there be any queries please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

PLEASE READ THE FULL REVIEW SO YOU CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION ABOUT STAYING AT THE AKA HUA HIN.
Firstly I would like to say that my wife and I are fairly easy going people and are not at all fussy about where we stay as long as it is clean, functional and the staff are helpful. So for me to write the following review means that we found our stay at AKA Hua Hin to be dreadful.

We began our trip to Thailand with 6 nights at the Samui Boat Lagoon Villas. These villas were almost half the price of the AKA villas and were absolutely fantastic. We decided to spend the last 3 nights of our trip in Hua Hin for our wedding anniversary and thought we would treat ourselves to what we thought was a bit of luxury at the AKA Hua Hin. How disappointed we were.

There are so many flaws with this place that it is laughable. The easiest thing for me to do is to simply list them:

TOILETS: Main toilet did not flush properly. After going to the toilet when we arrived I had to flush the toilet 5 or 6 times with no effect. I eventually had to fill the bin beside the toilet with water and dump it down the toilet to force it to flush. When my wife had a similar problem the next morning we reported it to the front desk. Nobody ever repaired the problem so we decided we would use the 2nd toilet in the building that would normally be used as a 2nd bedroom/massage room. However, upon using this toilet later in the day I looked up to see people standing on the sun deck of another villa with a clear line of sight into the bathroom. There were no blinds or curtains to pull across so I quickly had to finish and hope that they did not notice me.

POOL FURNITURE: This was the most disgusting part of our stay. The sun chairs we absolutely caked it mould and fungus. I'm not talking a few spots here or there, I'm mean it was starting to rot the chairs and there was so much growing that when I lifted the cushion it made a tearing noise when it came away from the timber. It took 2 days, 3 phone calls and a trip to the front desk before they were finally replace. When they were replaced it was evident by the large mould stain left of the deck that these chairs had not been cleaned or even moved in some time.

AIR CON: The Air Con in our bedroom started leaking within minutes of our arrival. To the staffs credit the came and fixed it straight away but whatever they did was only temporary because within a day it was leaking again all over my wife's suitcase. The water damage on the ceiling suggests that this is an ongoing problem that staff and management are unable or unwilling to repair.

BATH AND SHOWER: There is not enough hot water to fill the bath tub. So if you plan to have a bath here I hope you don't mind it being barely warm. The second bath tub had similar furry mould or fungus that was on the deck chairs.
The shower drain was blocked and drained extremely slowly (2-3hrs).

LIGHTING AND ELECTRICAL: Several light globes throughout the villa were blown or the transformer faulty so lights were continually turning on and off. None of the 4 light fittings on the upstairs deck had globes and one even had a wasp nest in it. So it was not possible to lie up there and read or have a drink at night but that's ok because the ceiling fan up there is so old and corroded that it makes a dreadful noise when in operation. There is exposed cabling right around the edge of the pool and no light at the front gate to the villa which makes it difficult to use the key at night.
Generally the lighting throughout the entire complex is poor. If you are lucky enough to arrive back at the Villas when there is someone to drive you to your villa by buggy they will happily do so and shine a torch for you while you unlock your gate. If you are a little later (After 1030pm or so) good luck. There are far too few path lights and many of these have blown globes. The management also turn off all the lights around the restaurant and pool which makes it even darker. Managements solution to this problem is to leave a tiny torch in each room. So don't forget to take this out with you if you a planning a late night.

SECURITY: After reading several reviews which stated that guests had cash and their belongings stolen I was a little concerned but the General manager replied to many of these reviews and said that the security was being improved. There are CCTV cameras installed and a safe has been placed in the room. However the safe isn't even bolted down to anything and is light enough and small enough for a thief to walk off with and the CCTV camera which is supposed to monitor the area outside our villa was directly behind a palm tree with one of the branches actually sitting over the lens. The other thing is there are notices stating that no responsibility for theft is taken by the hotel unless your belongings are placed in the main safe at reception. So if you have an ipad, laptop, camera etc you are expected to go back and forth between your room and reception to ensure that it is safe when you are asleep or leave the villa. Also upon returning to the villa one day we noticed that 2 doors had not been locked after housekeeping had been to our room. Hopefully this was a simple mistake by housekeeping and nothing more sinister but it is still unacceptable in a complex with obvious security issues.

GENERAL CONDITION: The villas are becoming old and run down. There is water damage on the ceiling of the apartment, the locking latch on one of the doors had be broken off meaning that door could not be opened, roof tiles are sliding off the roof and hanging dangerously above the deck, the deck is old and weak in certain spots with nails sticking out all over the place one of which I was unlucky enough to step on (we did notice some decks were being replaced. Hopefully this is done for every villa and the bridge to the main service counter), pool tiles are loose or have come off completely.

We also found a few minor problems which when combined with the issues above added up to be quite frustrating. These included: torn bed spread, holes in mosquito netting, a Pepsi bottle under the bed from a previous guest, not being left enough towels, soap or toilet paper by housekeeping, calling room service several times and nobody answering and having to wait over an hour for a hamburger from room service, the TV in the room is the older rear projection TV with half the channels having such a poor signal they are unwatchable, the main "lake/water feature" near the restaurant is full of smelly green algae and looks more like a swamp. We also notice many AKA water bottles floating in it.

The positive things about the hotel are the shuttle service to the center of Hua Hin which run 3 times a day (otherwise its a 20 minute trip and around 400THB) and the breakfast and restaurant food is good.

I have seen the general manager reply to many negative reviews by stating that they will address the issues raised however the fact remains that despite being well aware of the problems they are still as bad as ever. I believe these villas were probably once very nice but are slipping to a point of no repair due to inadequate maintenance, poor housekeeping practices and gross mismanagement. Please do not mistake AKA Hua Hin with AKA Guti which is 5 minutes down the road, newer and by all accounts much much nicer.

I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Best room would be in another hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The resort is all pool Villas with high walls separating the units and ensuring complete privacy. The surrounding countryside is rustic, pineapple fields and rubber plantations. If there were a few less noisy village dogs it would be an ideal place for early morning, early evening walks. We enjoyed bird watching: Kingfishers, Bulbuls, Storks and Egrets, Bee eaters etc.

Service in the restaurant was slow and a number of items on the menu were not available but the food they did have was fairly priced and of quite good quality, especially the seafood. Staff did not speak much English and the staff in the restaurant often had to call someone from elsewhere to take our order. We also found the Villa booking process a little chaotic but they got there in the end. The staff were all very friendly and did their best to help but the hotel would benefit from having an experienced GM on the premises.

I would certainly go back again for another short break, for the price I think the quality of service was good. Not five star but decent local four star standard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
AKATeam, General Manager at AKA Resort Hua Hin, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Andrew H.,
Mr.Andrew, we have noted your comments and suggestions and will work on further improvements to make your stay more comfortable in the future. By the way, I am really sorry that I was not at the hotel and not even see each other during your stayed otherwise you can talk all your comments to me directly.
We do hope to have a chance to welcome you to AKA Resort Hua Hin again. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need further assistant.
Sincerely yours,
Kriengsak Hansa

Been to AKA Resort Hua Hin? Share your experiences!