“Clean + very helpful & honest owner” 4 of 5 stars

152/6 Chomsin Road, Hua Hin 77110, Thailand   |
Ranked #15 of 144 Specialty Lodging in Hua Hin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Clean + very helpful & honest owner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

A very clean and good budget option for backpackers to stay at as the owner (I presume) Charles, is also very helpful (he speaks perfect English) and does not try to make money selling overpriced tours, cars with drivers etc. For example: Instead of a 300 baht cab ride or overpriced rental car or something, he told me the easiest way to visit the Mrigadayavan Palace is to take the orange public buses that leave from half a block away for 20 baht and he wrote "Mrigadayavan Palace" in Thai for me to show the driver.

Besides the owner, the location is perfectly fine as anywhere within Central Hua Hin will be walkable to the beach and the train station (unless you have a suitcase on wheels or something - the train is just 44 baht and 4 hours from Hua Lamphong Railway Station in BK) plus the night market where there are a bunch of places to eat is about a block or two away. The Internet was also fast here, at least if you are in a room near reception.

My only complaint would be the lack of a pantry area (to make your own tea/coffee etc) or a seating area outside the rooms. However and as Charles explained, he wants to stay in some place clean and quiet when he travels but a seating area would obviously encourage guests to be noisy and you can buy caffeine at 7/11 for 10 or 20 baht (a pantry or seating area means an extra space to keep clean as well). There are no laundry facilities either as Charles commented there is no sense putting something in that most guests aren't going to use and there are many other places where someone will wash and fold your laundry for you.

The mattresses are also a little thin here as they are guest house / hostel quality rather than hotel quality BUT if you have a bad back or something, you should not be staying at guest houses / hostels where a bunk is only around $10 a night as the mattresses will be naturally be thin.

So obviously you can't satisfy every guest when you are running a budget guest house or hostel and there is no shortage of accommodation options in Hua Hin if you book way ahead of time and its not a holiday weekend. You just run the risk of other places not being that clean or paying a higher price that does not meet your expectations - things that many reviewers complain about on reviews of other accoms in the area (which is more geared for Thais anyway...)

The other place I stayed at in Hua Hin was a Single Standard room booked on Agoda at the Baan Taweesuk Guest House. It was actually the little maid's room out back (see my review of that), but its actually ok for someone traveling alone who's not going to be in the room much except for showering sleeping as that place was also very clean (albeit, you might not get the same honest opinion about getting around the area on the cheap as you would from Charles) and had a hotel quality mattress.

Otherwise, I really liked Hua Hin as the food is great and it along with the accoms fit all budgets. Of course, the beach is not one of the best beaches in Thailand/SE Asia, but you are not going to go all the way from Europe or North America to visit a beach that's intended as a weekend beach for Bangkok based Thais/expats. Also, its NOT a party area for backpackers as the bars I saw are geared for the usually old white guys who hang around Thailand; but I am sure there are places where younger Thais from Bangkok hangout on the weekend to socialize.

Room Tip: I slept fine in the rooms up front by the entrance but light sleepers might find it noisy being up f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
TidTaradHostel, Owner at Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear John,
Thank you very much for your review. One of the best for us. You just described all facts/truly experiences about us and I'm really appreciated. And for us...honesty is the best policy. As you said you liked Hua Hin so I hope to welcoming you back again John. Have a good day!

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Thai first
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Tid Tarad Hostel is what people say you get what you paid for. It is a small hostel operated and owned by Charles. He will orientate you to Hua Hin and gives you a map and info booklet upon arrival. No footwear allowed inside the hostel. Had to walk barefoot and ended up with dirty feet. I stayed in the ladies dorm of 4 double deckers and inside lockers. Requested a second pillow cause I have GURD or what is known as Reflex. Charles said there was no available extra pillow to be had which was a downer. There was a shower stall on the second floor, however, we were discourage to use it as the water pressure is not strong enough. There is a toilet though annexed to it.

We have to go downstairs to take our shower where there are 3 stalls with a shower handle. My last day there, the water pressure wasn't strong enough.

There is one good thing I can say about Charles and that is he was kind enough to help carry my luggage down from the second floor and to the street as I wasn't strong enough to do so.

The place is secure and location is good as it is walking distance to the night market, wet market, beach and the mini van is just around the corner for your return to Bangkok. My arrival wasn't that great as I was let off about 5 to 6 blocks to the hostel. I got lost looking for the place. It took me about half an hour before I got to the hostel. Some drivers can be so mean. But I found other people can also be kind and very helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
TidTaradHostel, Owner at Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Ms. Chua,
First of all thank you very much for staying with us and writing us a review. Our pillow were assigned one for each guest. If we were informed about your health problem in advance we are sure we can buy an extra pillow for you. Sorry about our shower room on 2nd floor once again. It work properly actually but water pressure can be low sometime which is not under our control so we recommended all guests to use the shower room at a main shower room on 1st floor however you can still take a shower on the 2nd floor. Thank you once again for your review and wish you have a good day.
Kalgoorlie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed for one night, it's an excellent hostel with a comfortable bed and nice little bathroom, aircon and wifi. Everything was very clean and the place was very quiet. Great value for money and the staff are very friendly. Hua Hin is a beautiful little town and we wished we would have stayed longer. No complaints at all

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TidTaradHostel, Owner at Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Jessica,
Thank you very much for your time writing us a nice review. It has been a short time and I really want & wish you and Stephen can stay longer for next time. Beautiful Hua Hin and Tid Tarad Hostel are look forward to welcoming you both back again. :-) Have a good day!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here one night and I wish we could have stayed more! Great vibe, very clean, and the owner was super helpful and personable! He helped us navigate the area and assured that our visit was pleasant. Also the location, for the price, is definitely close enough to the beach!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TidTaradHostel, Owner at Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Amber,
Thank you very much for your nice review and pleased to learn that you had a great time here. We wish you have a good day and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent 5 nights at Tide Tarad and we were both very happy. Its easy to walk past if your wondering around, tired from your travels but as soon as you step inside you feel very safe and welcome. The hostel is very clean and the staff are always smiling and eager to help. Its about a 10 - 15 min walk to the main beach and just around the corner from a very nice night market. Although there are a lot of other places to stay in Hua Hin we found our stay well worth it and good for the money. Remember to take your shoes off!

Room Tip: Although we liked having a private room, it had no windows to the outside, that kinda through me off...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
TidTaradHostel, Owner at Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Matt,
Thank you for you selecting us and reviewing us. Our pleasure having you and Kara as our guests too. We wish you a safe journey to Koh Tao and have a good time there. Hope to see you again. :-)
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic stay at Tid Tarad. The location was great, the rooms and facilities were spotlessly clean and the owner was so friendly and welcoming. We would definitely recommend a stay here as it is great value for money. I don't think you will find better in Hua Hin!

• Stayed December 2013
TidTaradHostel, Owner at Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Jenny,
It was my pleasure reading your best review. :-) Thank you very much. We felt very lucky having you and Ryan stay with us. I wish you a wonderful year ahead and hope to welcoming you back again.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

What an excellent stay we had here! Charles, one of the hostel managers, was an excellent host, providing us with great advice and direction towards the attractions of Hua Hin. Very kind and very informative, he made our stay that much more enjoyable. Our room was very clean and simple, and the location is perfect, with the Night Market just five minutes down the road, and the beach a 10 min walk away.

Thanks for the roti Charles :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TidTaradHostel, Owner at Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Stephanie,
Thank you very much for your nice review. It was my pleasure meeting you and Damien and having both of you stay with us. I wish you enjoy Phuket and hope to see you again. I will buy you one more Roti :-)
Charles

Been to Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin? Share your experiences!