“Not great” 2 of 5 stars
Review of I Rice

I Rice
Liab Tang Rod Fai Road | Between Soi 68 and 70 / Tira Tiraa condo and railway, Hua Hin, Thailand
+66 89137 6009
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Brisbane, Australia
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had lunch at I Rice in June and were disappointed with the dishes we ordered. The food was average at best. We ordered ordered chicken satay, some spring rolls and a noodle dish. The satay was probably the worst I have ever eaten, spring rolls were OK and the noodle dish was very poor. We have travelled to Thailand numerous times and eaten at many budget places and this restaurant was definitely one of the worst we have eaten at.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Basildon
“The best chicken with cashew nuts I've tasted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I first tried I Rice after getting out of the taxi after a long flight from London. To say that the Chicken with Cashew Nuts hit the spot was an understatement. I've sampled it elsewhere in Thailand, and while good, it was no match for this dish. Good, bite sized pieces of chicken, lots of cashew nuts and a piquant sauce meant it really hit the spot. For starter, we tried the deep fried money bags which were packed with flavour, and prawns that were large and juicy. All washed down with Chaing beer, I really couldn't have asked for more. On our second visit, we sampled the Satay Chicken, which has a fantastically spicy, peanut sauce, as well as being nicely grilled, with a flavour that fills the mouth. For main course, I tried the chicken omelette, which was light, crispy and really tasty. Best of all, the prices were an absolute snip, with friendly, immediate service. OK the location is right next to the road, but you can really soak up the atmosphere of a traditional Thai town, and people watch as the world goes by. I can't recommend it enough.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alicante Province, Spain
“Great cheap food at the roadside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I find some of the reviews very curious, but then if you go to a Thai roadside café/restaurant and order European food, then perhaps you will be disappointed. Their Thai dishes however, are delicious and cheap. In fact, just about cheaper than anywhere else. My partner and I are here in Hua Hin for two months and in the three weeks we have stayed at Tira Tiraa, we have sampled quite a few of the dishes on the menu. Their starters are outstanding, especially the deep fried prawns with plum sauce for 80 THB and the money bags for 100 THB. The ingredients are simple, but the balance is perfect. As for their main courses, the chicken with cashew nuts at 60 THB and the massaman curry at 150 THB are stunning. I can honestly say they were the best dishes of their kind that I have ever tasted, even surpassing the ones I have had in the so called best restaurants in the world. At I-Rice, they keep it simple, yet the blend of spices lift the dishes above the ordinary. Even their cappuccino wouldn't disgrace a café in Italy...and it is only 45 THB. If you want European food, then by all means go to Heaven's Gate and enjoy the fare there, but if you want authentic Thai, I-Rice is the place for you.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not bad not great not coming back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Overall food was mediocre - the portion was ample but the taste was not anything to be delighted about. We tried both the Italian dishes and Thai dishes. Atmosphere was nice but not entirely memorable - not to mention that we saw a few baby roaches here and there. For sure the parent roaches are around too - but again, not to say that other places are completely rid of these insects.

The price was very reasonable though - we ordered a lot of food and the bill came to below 1,000 baht for two persons.

I would call it comfort food - home style for everyday. But if you are looking for a gourmet experience, i dont think that this will do. Hence my title "not bad - not great - not coming back"

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Somewhere in England
“I Rice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant. Although we found it a little quite the food was good. The fish and chips were a welcome break from the local food. Not near the night market so pretty quiet especially if you have young children.

• Visited March 2013