“Avoid This Place Like The Plague” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #76 of 391 Restaurants in Hua Hin
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Buffet, Late Night
Description: Large range of food in a Garden Setting. Best know for BBQ Ribs, Tex Mex, Steaks and Thai Food.
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Avoid This Place Like The Plague”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My second visit to Terrace 90, following a forgettable first visit about a year ago. This time I was so unhappy about the experience that I thought I had to warn others. I do not write critical reviews lightly and this is my personal opinion, which will clearly differ from others.

I visited at lunchtime with a Thai female friend. The menu, although extensive, was expensive for both farang and Thai food. Her jungle soup was less than average, I didn't think that was possible with jungle soup and nowhere near as spicy as she'd ordered. I know, I tried it. I couldn't find anything much I fancied paying outrageous prices for, but settled for spaghetti carbonara at THB 180 I think. There was no spaghetti immediately available, so rather than wait 15 minutes I happily accepted penne pasta as a replacement.

The meal when it arrived was the size of what I would call a child's portion, watery cream and tasteless. I was not offered the option of ground black pepper. I ate it and am hoping there are no adverse consequences. I ordered an Erdinger Hefe-Weisse beer at an outrageous THB 190. I drink Hefe-Weisse beer frequently and appreciate Erdinger is more expensive than some, but I still considered the price outrageous, considering it's cheaper in the centre of town.

The other customers consisted of a very loud group of four Americans and an equally loud family group of four Russians I believe. The one benefit with the presumed Russians was that at least I couldn't understand the drivel they were shouting about!

Service although prompt was sloppy, I didn't leave a tip and I believe that is the first time ever in the 18 months I've lived in Thailand, which sums up my experience totally. A free meal wouldn't tempt me to return.

In conclusion, I should admit I've heard good things about the buffet I believe they hold on a Tuesday night, but I don't imagine I'll be returning at any time in the near future to check it out.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Nattanan, Owner at Terrace 90 Bakery & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
We place a Menu at our entrance for our first time customers. The prices are displayed for you review before being seated. The prices were also in the Menu when you ordered. We are western style do have a nice Garden and Terrace. We pay our staff in accordance with the Thai Labor Law. Which went way up in 2013.

You saw the price before ordering the Imported Beer. You could have had a Local Beer or a Soft Drink if you felt the price was too high for you. By the way if you think our price was high do not order beer in Bangkok. Most western style places are much higher. Example one beer we sell for 70 Baht sells for at least 95 Baht.

I’m sure some of the Road Side Stands may beat our prices but not our quality or standards. . Our Motto is Every Day Reasonable Prices. We may not be the lowest but for sure we are far from being the highest! For your Info all Beer, Wine and Whiskey went up in Thailand do to a Tax Increase.

As to not liking the noise you could have requested to be seated in another area but did not. We have inside, Terrace and outside seating. So sorry you do not like Americans or Russians. Hua Hin is an International Town and we get visitors from all over trying to enjoy their Holiday. So where you can eat with "ONLY YOUR KIND" may be hard to find. There are place that cater to just one Nationality maybe that would fit you a little better. We cater to ALL! We love all!

As To the Buffet: Last night every seat in the house sold out and we would guess over 15 different countries were represented Warning if you do try the Buffet has people and foods from around the world. So you will hear more the English. Cover your ears! We do note most of the people who dine with us enjoy meeting people form around the world. Cause if they did not they would stay in their own country!.

If you food was not cooked correctly we of course give our apologies. However, it seems you were just angry with the world. Such a shame at as it is the time for Good Will Towards Men. So Happy New Year to you from Terrace 90.

We quote for the review: :

Unquote

• Thai first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Terrace 90 Christmas evenent dinner, 24DEC2013”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Our family wanted to eat a nice Christmas eve dinner with a Christmas spirit: we got a meal for 950 THB and payed for the water we drink. Top of all: we wanted to have our own bottle of red wine with us: we already opened the bottle: the staff came and wanted 500 THB for opening the bottle, we refused and she gave us the winelist to order a bottle of their wine!!! Everywhere else in Hua Hin we always have had our own wine with us and the staff offered glasses without any extra payment!!!!

Our opinion is that this dinner was not worth of 950THB/person.
We have eaten much better special dinners in Thailand, at the same price or even cheaper.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nattanan, Guest Relations Manager at Terrace 90 Bakery & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
I would like to point out we have a Large Sign at or Entrance we charge for outside food and beverages brought in. Yes, some people try to bring in Whiskey and even Beer. Many bring in the same Wine that is on our Wine List some even bring in 5 Litter Box Wine.

If you had a Special Bottle, for the occasion, and had called in advance we do waive the charge on case by case bases for regular customers.
We started getting books way back in September even before we advertised the even. We need to point out we were 100 percent full for all three Christmas Servings due to our having Roast Leg of Lamb, Roast Tom Turkey, Honey Ham and Roast Beef with all the trimmings and Home Made Deserts. Ours was one, if not the lowest price, in Town for this amazing selection. We also had a live band!

I would suggest you call ahead if you want to bring in your own bottles to other Restaurants anywhere in the world. Most DO Not Allow This without a Corkage Charge. Restaurants are in the business of selling drinks and they like us have to pay the staff, replace broken glasses and overhead. We also note half the staff was on overtime to handle the large crowd. They do have to be paid.
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Some improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have not visited Terrace 90 since my last review in September 2012.Last night we thought we would give it another try.On arrival at 8pm,somewhat surprised to find the Restaurant completely empty of diners !!The service was functional,in that our orders were taken and the food and drinks arrived at the table.Of our 4 choosen starters,2 were not available,so alternatives were ordered.However the food was good and well presented.Our main courses were 3 Rack of Ribs and a Steak,(medium/well done).Apart from the disappointing quality of the steak,it had not been cooked thoroughly and was very red and tough,the Ribs were good,the meat was tender and moist,so no issues there.Desserts were delicious..On settling the bill,a discount of 10% was given,I assume,to offset the steak course,it may have been better to strike out the price of the steak !!We thought it was an OK evening,but lacking on customer service.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Terrace 90 revisited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Glad to be back in Hua Hin, the first thing we did was book a table for the Tuesday night buffet. This because of excellent memories of previous years. And believe it or not: it was even better. The amazing variety of dishes and high quality were the same, but there was also a new salad bar to choose from. And this for only Bht. 359 per person! Add to this the nice atmosphere, kind owners and staff and Terrace 90 remains our favourite place to go, also for their regular à la carte menu.
Jan and Marian van Veen

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nattanan, Owner at Terrace 90 Bakery & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Hello,

The Holiday Season has started and the best part is our friends from all over the world are back. It has been so wonderful meeting so many wonderful people over the years.
We are so glad you like our new salad bar. Thanks for such a positive review. Makes us want to better and better!

Natt and all the T90 Staff
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Off the beaten track but worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I visited this restaurant twice during my stay in Hua Hin, once on a Tuesday when its the all you can eat buffet and once at the weekend on the a la carte menu. In both cases the food was hot and tasty and the restaurant does have a very good and reasonably priced wine list.
The staff are attentive and quick to provide you with fans if you are seated outside , whilst the inside has air con. Its not in an easy location to find , as its up a side alley from Soi 94 but if you can locate the place you will not be disappointed

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nattanan, Owner at Terrace 90 Bakery & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Hello,

First thanks for taking the time to write. It is very appreciated. The Tuesday Buffet has become famous in Hua Hin. Also our Holiday Buffets are well known and book up early. The Tuesday Buffet is a mix of Salads, Soup, Tex Mex, Roast, Pasta, Thai Food, deserts and so much more. . Menu changes every week.

A little hard to find, yes but hard to forget. We are off the main roads by two blocks. We are three blocks from the Big Mall, Market Village? Just two blocks off both main roads. We moved to this location when downtown rents just got to high and were going to affect our Motto of” Every Day Reasonable Price” s. We have a large Local Following due to pricing and quality of food so the loction works.

Again thanks for the mice comments.

Natt and the Terrace 90 Staff